• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I mean, he already got screwed in that Smash 4 trailer and it basically became a meme up until some time when Warriors was announced.
Funny enough, it was because he got screwed in such a humiliating fashion that I became a Chrom supporter. If the trailer was exactly the same and Chrom wasn't lying in the dirt lamenting his fate I would have been perfectly happy, Robin with Lucina as a bonus would have been good enough FE representation for me. Then the game had to put salt in the wound with a (admittedly pretty funny) Palutena's guidance and it only made me root for Chrom even more. I love a good comeback story.

I guess that's what endured Chrom to me though. He isn't the best written FE protaginist, but the game was never shy about making him the butt of jokes or putting him in his place if he did something stupid (his support with Gaius sticks out to me for this reason). That always made him feel more real to me, as opposed to someone like Corrin, whose entire narrative was basically a glorified self-insert fic where everybody loved them, and all the characters motives were centered around Corrin no matter what horribly questionable choices they made. Or (about to stoke the fires of the entire fandom on me) Ephraim, who after playing SS again with Nostalgia blinders off, really started to wear on me with how the narrative wanted to make him a super-man that could do no wrong, and whose only flaws were either Mary Sue-esque non-flaws that doesn't effect him in any way (him being referred to as book dumb just reminded me of poor writers saying "she has a temper" when asked about what flaws their character has) or just completely irrelevant to the main plot on hand (whether he was worthy to be King or not, which I feel Erika was a far better fit for ruler but that's a whole 'nother can of worms)

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Has anyone spotted Chrom's up tilt? I'd like to see what the altered animation looks like.

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone spotted Chrom's up tilt? I'd like to see what the altered animation looks like.
Like 95% certain it's the same. I'm sure you could find it watching vods of matches he was in. Could be wrong though.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Chrom's animations on his jab and forward tilt are different though, so it stands to reason the same would go to all normals where Roy wields the sword in reverse grip. I have watched all the Chrom footage I've come across, but either no one's used up tilt or I've been consistently missing it.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
He isn't the best written FE protaginist
Chrom is actually really high up there for me. His whole character arc- with trying to live up to Emmeryn's ideals of peace while also believing that sometimes violence is justified- was really well done, I thought. And the way he interacts with the other characters varies from person to person in a way real peoples' relationships do, and it shows a much wider range of character traits for him than a lot of the characters in, say, Fates, where it felt like the writers chose one standout trait for every character and just milked it to death.

Also agreed on Corrin. People only like them because they're the avatar, but they're one of the most flat, cliché, uninteresting protagonists ever written, and I got pretty sick of them having a full emotional breakdown at the end of almost every single chapter wondering "dID i mAkE tHe wRoNg cHoIcE!?"

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
He's actually really high up there for me. His whole character arc- with trying to live up to Emmeryn's ideals of peace while also believing that sometimes violence is justified- was really well done, I thought. And the way he interacts with the other characters varies from person to person in a way real peoples' relationships do, and it shows a much wider range of character traits for him than a lot of the characters in, say, Fates, where it felt like the writers chose one standout trait for every character and just milked it to death.

Also agreed on Corrin. People only like them because they're the avatar, but they're one of the most flat, cliché, uninteresting protagonists ever written, and I got pretty sick of them having a full emotional breakdown at the end of almost every single chapter wondering "dID i mAkE tHe wRoNg cHoIcE!?"
Odd, a lot of the FE community (not necessarily fans) seem to think Chrom is boring. Nice to see people step up to bat for him.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
Odd, a lot of the FE community (not necessarily fans) seem to think Chrom is boring. Nice to see people step up to bat for him.
I kinda get where they're coming from. His mannerisms are really similar to Ike and Hector and a lot of the archetypical characters like them- an uncourtly, casual character in a big leadership role. I just think his overall arc is pretty unique, and his support convos are great. I also hate to see him trashed by long-time fans of the series just for being from a recent game. I've been in this thing since Sacred Stones and Awakening is actually one of my favorites

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I honestly think it depends where you go. Places like Gamefaqs seem to hate him (but I mean it's Gamefaqs so lol), while he's generally well-liked on the FE subreddit, for example.

Then there's just a lot of neutral folks.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I honestly think it depends where you go. Places like Gamefaqs seem to hate him (but I mean it's Gamefaqs so lol), while he's generally well-liked on the FE subreddit, for example.

Then there's just a lot of neutral folks.
I generally find the FE community to be one of the worst. Why can't there just be a place for me to relish in Awakening?

In other news, it seems Chrom is the only Awakening fighter to not have the new victory theme. Kind of odd.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I generally find the FE community to be one of the worst. Why can't there just be a place for me to relish in Awakening?

In other news, it seems Chrom is the only Awakening fighter to not have the new victory theme. Kind of odd.
Is there footage of the new build that proves this?

Arthur97

Smash Master
Is there footage of the new build that proves this?
It's the general thing going around, and there haven't been any reports to the contrary. We may not have footage, but surely he was won one match somewhere.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Found footage, finally.

On one hand, this sadly confirms that Chrom, for whatever reason, doesn't have the new victory theme.

On the other hand...I finally found footage of Chrom winning, lol.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Robin still summons Chrom, Chrom doesn't have the Awakening victory theme. I bet we're gonna see a Chrom spirit battle involving the Mii Swordfighter costume at this rate.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Robin still summons Chrom, Chrom doesn't have the Awakening victory theme. I bet we're gonna see a Chrom spirit battle involving the Mii Swordfighter costume at this rate.
At this rate it's basically confirmed that Chrom is the Ganondorf/Sonic/Wolf/Bowser Jr. of Ultimate, I think. Lots of things indicate he was a very late addition, which would also explain some of the early screenshot model quality issues.

Better late than never though. :p

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
At this rate it's basically confirmed that Chrom is the Ganondorf/Sonic/Wolf/Bowser Jr. of Ultimate, I think. Lots of things indicate he was a very late addition, which would also explain some of the early screenshot model quality issues.

Can always fix the issues via patches

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Day 17.
Chrom has won a total of two final-build matches.
We are still in the dark about his third victory pose.
Somehow worse than Roy, with over a dozen matches of him winning in the Western version and we still have yet to hear his 3rd victory pose in English (we even saw the start of it in one vid but there was an almost immediate mute and cutaway).

Anyways, here's Chrom's clapping in HD:
https://youtu.be/WgqlBW4Ep_0?t=104

...this is somehow the final build of the game...
EDIT: In gif form: https://media.giphy.com/media/AElyDEXjj2hwvejspg/giphy.gif

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

I think the echoes in general were probably late additions aside from possibly Ken and Richter (Ken in particular seems like he very well could have been on track to be a semi-clone). Dark Samus and Chrom were likely chosen as the two last echoes due to ease of development (Dark Samus needed no voice work to be recorded, and Chrom already had a high quality model in the game) as well as their requests in specific regions (Japan for Chrom, "overseas" for Dark Samus).

As I have told Dark Samus fans several times, Chrom fans do not know how lucky Chrom was just to make it in as an echo fighter. Fire Emblem is the one of two series that likes to focus on the newest game in terms of its playable representation (the other is Pokemon). Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin were the most contemporary lords at the time of development for Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, and Smash 4 DLC. Marth got in through sheer volume of requests by Japanese fans, and it seems Japanese fans are also what got Chrom in as well (Chrom's slot easily could have gone to Funky Kong, Octoling, Impa, Shadow, or Jeanne). Chrom managed to get in when his game was already two or three games behind the most contemporary FE game (depends whether you think Shadows of Valentia or Three Houses is the most current one). The only other playable character for Fire Emblem to get in when his game was several games behind the most contemporary game (Mystery of the Emblem was behind Genealogy of the Holy War, Thracia 776, and maybe Binding Blade when Melee was being developed) was Marth.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think the echoes in general were probably late additions aside from possibly Ken and Richter (Ken in particular seems like he very well could have been on track to be a semi-clone). Dark Samus and Chrom were likely chosen as the two last echoes due to ease of development (Dark Samus needed no voice work to be recorded, and Chrom already had a high quality model in the game) as well as their requests in specific regions (Japan for Chrom, "overseas" for Dark Samus).

As I have told Dark Samus fans several times, Chrom fans do not know how lucky Chrom was just to make it in as an echo fighter. Fire Emblem is the one of two series that likes to focus on the newest game in terms of its playable representation (the other is Pokemon). Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin were the most contemporary lords at the time of development for Melee, Brawl, Smash 4, and Smash 4 DLC. Marth got in through sheer volume of requests by Japanese fans, and it seems Japanese fans are also what got Chrom in as well (Chrom's slot easily could have gone to Funky Kong, Octoling, Impa, Shadow, or Jeanne).
Oh believe me, I'm far from complaining, haha. :p Just pointing out the signs of lateness, really.

I actually agree on the Ken bit. Between all of his adjustments, Ken being the only Street Fighter character to get content in Smash 4 besides Ryu, and Sakurai's reason for him being an echo literally being "because I said so," I'm almost certain Ken was originally meant to be an Isabelle-esque semiclone, but was low priority enough to be reclassified as an echo once the team decided to implement them.

Of course, nothing confirms that just yet, but it was just a suspicion I had.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think either they got carried away with making Ken feel like Ken, or Capcom gave them special instuctions for turning Ryu into Ken.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Nevermind someone else already posted it lol

Last edited:
Chrom's a funny character to me, design-wise. In almost every HD game, he looks really good or entirely wrong depending on which angle his face is pointing. He tilts his head in Ultimate, brilliant. He looks straight at the camera in Warriors and he doesn't look like Chrom to me anymore.

I actually think his in-game model works really well in Ultimate, at least as far as expression goes. Chrom is a pretty straight-faced guy, anyway, so just a hint of something going on in his head works well for him. I just don't think all of Roy's animations work well for him. I don't imagine Chrom doing a ninja run, you know?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Chrom's a funny character to me, design-wise. In almost every HD game, he looks really good or entirely wrong depending on which angle his face is pointing. He tilts his head in Ultimate, brilliant. He looks straight at the camera in Warriors and he doesn't look like Chrom to me anymore.

I actually think his in-game model works really well in Ultimate, at least as far as expression goes. Chrom is a pretty straight-faced guy, anyway, so just a hint of something going on in his head works well for him. I just don't think all of Roy's animations work well for him. I don't imagine Chrom doing a ninja run, you know?
Some of his animations look weird, yeah. Almost unnatural. Probably won't be a big deal when actually playing since the camera isn't as close though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Palutena's guidance is confirmed to return for Ultimate with new guidances made for the newcomers. The Chrom conversation is going to be really amusing (as will the new Robin one). Its going to be nice to see all of the Smash 4 DLC characters and all the returning veterans get a guidance as well.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm amazed by just how much disappointment there is on this guidance not containing anything involving him telling off Viridi or anything. I mean, it'd be OOC of him anyway, so some dignity was kept for him.

I kind of find it funny how people were hoping good things for the guy when the Smash-fandom treats him like this:

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
At least Chrom had the restraint to not roast them because we all know, if he could, both Palutena and especially Viridi would be burnt to a crisp.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
How can Chrom protect himself if he can't even protect himself?
https://twitter.com/TFL_Athena/status/1067215578048344064

Does this mean M!Robin says "Lucina I hope I didn't hurt you" when defeating Chrom
Saw the clip a bunch of times and all I can say is that the guy playing Chrom probably doesn't know what he is doing
  • Stands near the edge charging Neutral B instead of closing the distance
  • Wastes his double jump by using it too early and getting hit by an uncharged water shuriken
  • Used Up B too early instead of drifting just a bit further and then using it
Waiting for the game to come out is killing me

Thought the clip being shared was that one clip I saw circulating some reddit threads regarding his Recovery

Last edited:

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
How can Chrom protect himself if he can't even protect himself?
https://twitter.com/TFL_Athena/status/1067215578048344064

Does this mean M!Robin says "Lucina I hope I didn't hurt you" when defeating Chrom
"We redid a ton of Final Smashes and victory poses!" -Smash Ultimate dev team
"Except Robin's, even though they make absolutely the most sense to redo." -Also the Smash Ultimate dev team

I'm not salty... I mean, Chrom is playable and that's all I could ask for... I'm just really confused by their logic. Without removing all the easter eggs he got in Sm4sh while adding him as a fighter, he's probably the most over-represented character in the game.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
"We redid a ton of Final Smashes and victory poses!" -Smash Ultimate dev team
"Except Robin's, even though they make absolutely the most sense to redo." -Also the Smash Ultimate dev team

I'm not salty... I mean, Chrom is playable and that's all I could ask for... I'm just really confused by their logic. Without removing all the easter eggs he got in Sm4sh while adding him as a fighter, he's probably the most over-represented character in the game.
Could always be fixed via patch. Then again, I did hear Chrom was one of the last additions regarding echoes.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Seeing as something similar happened with Male Robin and Marth, I imagine this is a problem with the Robins and will likely be fixed soon.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I love all the Chroms roaming around in the world of Smash (some FEHeroes logic up in there)

Top Bottom