• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm a bit skeptical. For one, the guy seems a little too enthusiastic and he mentioned a tipper on one of his moves...

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I'm a bit skeptical. For one, the guy seems a little too enthusiastic and he mentioned a tipper on one of his moves...
Probably a bit too optimistic considering how many things he called broken, but it's nice to see Chrom being overestimated than underestimated.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
His horizontal recovery is embarrassing. I really like Soaring Slash on-stage, but it's like 95% vertical only and he has no other move to compliment it.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Probably a bit too optimistic considering how many things he called broken, but it's nice to see Chrom being overestimated than underestimated.
Yeah, better to see people testing out his kit rather than just saying "Recovery is ****, low tier character"

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean, no one said his recovery was excellent, everyone know it's trash.
However, it seems to be a great OOS/ Stage tool, alongside Suicide tool since you die second.

What's positive is the rest I'm very much curious about what was said with the Up-air if it's really that good.

To be fair, a terrible recovery is a really, really bad weakness to have.
Having a bad recovery in a game where 95% of the cast got their recovery option nerfed into oblivion is bad, but it's not the worst thing ever like some people make it look like

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yes, yes, his recovery is bad, but hasn't that horse been beaten enough? Let's talk about this new good info.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I really want to see that Up-air in action lmao
Or all of the kind of strings we can find.

Though, question, which Alt will you use for Chrom?

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Ironically, I was the one trying to cheer up this subforum by playing Chrom a lot today. My findings are in the other thread. But all this playing is what also made me realize first-hand how much Soaring Slash sucks offstage, it won't even snap to ledge instantly on the way up. At least it goes really high!

On other news, his Upsmash is one of the coolest looking moves in the game! Instead of fire, some holy-looking energy swirls around the sword and draws enemies in. The hitbox goes all the way down to Chrom's feet and sends them into the tip, granted I think it's always been the same for Roy too.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739

I'll be boring and use default like always

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Default for me, though Kellam!Chrom is looking clean. That being said, if he had a Great Lord alt, I'd main it instantly.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
Wow, that really is a great alt. I wish Lucina got a palette like that, I hate her alts so I always just go default with her. Might have to try Chrom out just on the basis of good colors, ha ha. Will have to learn how to play offstage to get anywhere, but I think everyone is going to be in that boat coming from 4 where you could burn your jump with most characters and still make it back... Nice to hear some pre-release optimism coming in for him, and I hope all those weird victory screen bugs get fixed in the supposed day 1 patch.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't know what happened but something in me is whispering in my ear to try and learn Chrom as a back pocket main. I always liked him, but now I want to see his goofy face all over my screen.

So I will be monitoring this thread closely...

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Can I just say that those tweets from that guy give me hope for Chrom and I'm so happy to hear about that.

I'm really liking the idea of Chrom's d-tilt. Roy's was pretty good in Smash 4, but usually you're using it for a poke and getting the sour-spot. I want to say there were some tech follow-ups with it, but imagine a d-tilt strong hitbox at full range. I'm willing to trade a tech situation at high percents for a more powerful poke at any time, but that's me.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
bUt HiS rEcoVErY iS bAd
Humorously enough, some of the folks on that guy's twitter sticking with their opinion that Chrom will be terrible (which, obviously, he won't) have changed from saying "ReCoVeRy BaD" to "ThE gUy YoU'rE pLaYiNg AgAiNsT sUcKs At ThE gAmE"

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Hitting with his aerials feels VERY satisfying! I don't think there were many or any true combos in that clip, but this character can stay on the offensive very well! I've been playing him a lot today despite saying his recovery sucks, I just really like hitting upB on people and Uair in general.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I'm glad Chrom is looking fun. Not having to deal with Roy's sourspots makes him seem pretty flexible. He manages to be one of the newcomers I'm looking forward to the most.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
People get really excited about these cool twitter videos (for all characters, not just Chrom), and to be fair, there are a lot of great combos and setups in them. In reality, however, the vast majority of them are not true combos . I've been hesitant to report anything that doesn't register fully in training mode, which makes a lot of chars like Chrom and Wolf look like they don't have an amazing combo game.

But there is a reason these videos are being made. Those attack chains are connecting in real situations despite there being enough frames to dodge out or something. The reason for this is that defensive options are a lot worse this game, specially air dodge. So while some of the combos may not be "true", air-dodging during them would lead to dying offstage (huge recovery before you can upB) or landing but getting hit with something a lot more deadly.
The old smash 4 "bait airdodge" was one of the only few ways to get big hits in and that has been magnified a lot this game. The guessing game, mixups and relentless offense are going to be the main things to succeed.

So rest assured, even if Fair Fair Fair is not a true combo on Chrom, you have a pretty good chance of actually landing all 3 regardless, or even mixing it up with an F-smash or Ftilt at the end instead. It's gonna take more than just training mode to find all these amazing things out, so we're still just just scratching the surface of what many characters are really capable of!

So yeah, be hype for this character! But keep in mind his true strength lies elsewhere, in his great movement speed, good frame data and reliable hitboxes. The last one, specially, is what I think will make this guy be better on-stage than Roy, as he can get Uptilt and Fsmash to connect properly in A LOT more scenarios.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Glad to see Chrom outside the realm of negativity and into optimism. Chrom looks amazing and I cannot wait to have the game to play him (unfortunately I have to wait until Christmas to get the Switch and the game, so yeah...)

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Have you guys heard Chrom's cheer? "Chrom, Chrom! He's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!".

I can just picture the Fire Emblem Awakening gals with cheerleading attire chanting that. XD

FrostShock

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClockworkWizard
Have you guys heard Chrom's cheer? "Chrom, Chrom! He's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!".

I can just picture the Fire Emblem Awakening gals with cheerleading attire chanting that. XD
I can see it now:

Cordelia is the cheer captain. Lissa is the most energetic and enthusiastic. Olivia spends most of her time covering her face with her pom-poms, but is still able to follow the routine. Sully hates the uniform and cheering, but grins and bears it because Chrom. Maribelle wants to stand out, but knows breaking the routine would be un-ladylike, so she settles for over-accessorizing her uniform. And Sumia slips and falls while trying to build the pyramid, and that's where the cheer ends.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Someone mentioned something about Cynthia synchronizing it. Does kind of seem like something she'd do.

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
Just watched a match and heard that cheer! It's amazing. Really can't wait to get my hands on this game. Too bad Chrom's not there from the start but he's worth the grind. Him and Lucina.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Chrom's pic in Classic Mode makes me happy.

It's the Fire Emblem cast and Mario welcoming and celebrating his victory or, likely to be the case, his inclusion in Ultimate with Chrom having a look of shock. It's very heartwarming.

DiamondDust132

Smash Cadet
NNID
DiamondDust132
Played in a tournament last night. Was getting bopped with my main, so I was like, "Screw it." and went Chrom. Still got bopped but at least I had a smile on my face while I did so lol. His recovery is really tricky. I try to force myself into angles where the opponent can't knock me off stage, but it's still hard some times. Good thing his neutral is pretty good.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrom's pic in Classic Mode makes me happy.

It's the Fire Emblem cast and Mario welcoming and celebrating his victory or, likely to be the case, his inclusion in Ultimate with Chrom having a look of shock. It's very heartwarming.
I somehow interpreted it more as Chrom watching Lucina and Mario getting "married", and Chrom looking incredulously from the center. Though I guess that's little hard to see due how Mario had none of his wedding gear on, so..

Top Bottom