• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

Arthur97

Smash Master
Huh, so Chrom supposedly got in due to Japanese popularity (with Dark Samus supposedly being international popularity). Is he really that much more popular in Japan?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ah, dammit. I am so upset with myself for not sharing this image when Chrom was announced. I completely forgot about it.

Congrats to Chrom fans. (And also fans of Roy's moveset who've never played Roy's game, I suppose!)

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Huh, so Chrom supposedly got in due to Japanese popularity (with Dark Samus supposedly being international popularity). Is he really that much more popular in Japan?
With how much hate FE and its characters get from English speaking Smash fans, I'm not even a little surprised.

Arthur97

Smash Master
With how much hate FE and its characters get from English speaking Smash fans, I'm not even a little surprised.
Well, Chrom may have been the best FE pick in general given 4's treatment of him probably made some more accepting of him. I don't I see too much hate for him. Apathy maybe, but not too much hate.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Well, Chrom may have been the best FE pick in general given 4's treatment of him probably made some more accepting of him. I don't I see too much hate for him. Apathy maybe, but not too much hate.
I think it took until Warriors and now Ultimate before he started losing the "Memetic Loser" label.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Peeps though prefer portraying him as about as stupid messup as Luigi is today though. :rolleyes:

Still, makes it more fun for me to pair him with other former Memetic Loser:

Last edited:

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Idk if its allowed to be posted here or not, but I figured why not. If not I apologize in advance.

Due to Chrom having more differences than your average echo, as well as Roycord doing very very little with Chrom I decided to, alongside other Chrom players, make a discord specifically for him! We also dont think many roys will play chrom and vice versa and due to their differences wont play all that similarly. So I think having a dedicated server for him is for the best.

Here is the Discord link : https://discord.gg/hTGZKeB

Also I am so happy hes finally in. He deserved it.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Chrom at this point could be a really good secondary for me, perhaps...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really hope the rumor about being able to instantly unlock characters via amiibo turns out to be true. If so, unlocking Chrom will be the first thing I do.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Eh, I don't want to take away from the experience. I love challenger approaching fights and meeting the requirements.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I only want to be able to play as Robin at the start via the amiibo method. I'll be more than happy to unlock the rest of the characters normally.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I really hope the rumor about being able to instantly unlock characters via amiibo turns out to be true. If so, unlocking Chrom will be the first thing I do.
That's cool dude. I don't have any Amibo but even if I did, I don't think that would be the first thing I would do. There's something satisfying and nostalgic about unlocking your peeps the oldschool way, ya know?

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, Mario is who I'll use first anyway, so I'm good on that front. I like others, but I'm willing to wait. Not like I'm good with Lucina anyway.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Figured I would share this monstrosity with you guys. The other day I went on the Smash website and the colors on my iPad glitched out, leading to whatever this is.

image.jpeg
Jedah confirmed as a Spirits Boss. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chromrades, something is amiss. Earlier today, Daisy managed to overtake Chrom on the poll in this thread. Luckily, we managed to tie it back up, but we should remain vigilant. Go there and vote for Chrom if you haven't already.

Yes this is very serious business. :p

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh hey, some more Chrom footage!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Something to bring in that's... interesting on a hindsight:

Chrom's still Robin's Final Smash, it seems.

Imagine if we had to see this incase Robin was back around E3 already.

Last edited:

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
So after watching footage, Chrom's recovery looks to be much worse than I imagined. One a more positive note, his F-Smash killed at 81% in the middle of the stage in a FFA so there's no need to worry about lacking early kills.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
So after watching footage, Chrom's recovery looks to be much worse than I imagined. One a more positive note, his F-Smash killed at 81% in the middle of the stage in a FFA so there's no need to worry about lacking early kills.
I think the uncharged Fsmash did about 18-19 damage (bout a percent or so less than Smash 4 Roy's sweetspotted Fsmash)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The Chrom Mii costume is still a thing.

So you can have Robin summon Chrom to beat up Chrom, Chrom Kirby, and The Chrome From The Fire Embull.

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Do we have any idea what other differences Chrom has besides the UpB yet?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Do we have any idea what other differences Chrom has besides the UpB yet?
Aside from minor animation differences and the lack of sweet/sourspots, nothing aside from perhaps his standard special but there isn't a whole lot of footage of either Roy or Chrom hitting their mark with that so it's hard to tell just how strong they are for now. Seems to just be a quicker charging, weaker version of Roy's though.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Aside from minor animation differences and the lack of sweet/sourspots, nothing aside from perhaps his standard special but there isn't a whole lot of footage of either Roy or Chrom hitting their mark with that so it's hard to tell just how strong they are for now. Seems to just be a quicker charging, weaker version of Roy's though.
Quick charge seems good to me as aside from a shield break, when are you ever going to land a fully charged flare blade?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Quick charge seems good to me as aside from a shield break, when are you ever going to land a fully charged flare blade?
After a shield break (at like 0% because at later percents they can mash out before the move is fully charged LMAO) and pretty much no other time. It really depends on if Chrom Blade is still powerful enough to be a useful edgeguarding or punish tool, if it retains even a fraction of Flare Blade's power, it will pretty much be strictly an upgrade. Another advantage of Chrom's is that the move can seemingly indefinitely store its charge (more like Quick Draw than Charge Shot) and turn around multiple times while holding its charge which allows you to read and punish rolls. Sadly though, again, almost no footage of either move hitting their marks for obvious reasons so we'll have to test this once the game comes out.

Arthur97

Smash Master
After a shield break (at like 0% because at later percents they can mash out before the move is fully charged LMAO) and pretty much no other time. It really depends on if Chrom Blade is still powerful enough to be a useful edgeguarding or punish tool, if it retains even a fraction of Flare Blade's power, it will pretty much be strictly an upgrade. Another advantage of Chrom's is that the move can seemingly indefinitely store its charge (more like Quick Draw than Charge Shot) and turn around multiple times while holding its charge which allows you to read and punish rolls. Sadly though, again, almost no footage of either move hitting their marks for obvious reasons so we'll have to test this once the game comes out.
All around seems like a good trade for the power loss so long as it isn't ridiculously weaker. No recoil damage either I'm assuming for what that's worth.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
All around seems like a good trade for the power loss so long as it isn't ridiculously weaker. No recoil damage either I'm assuming for what that's worth.
Yeah and if you get a shield break you can keep spinning around until they're about to recover from the stun and then hit them. Also a bit sad that Chrom's third taunt isn't based on his victory animation from Awakening but maybe he'll have it as a victory animation.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah and if you get a shield break you can keep spinning around until they're about to recover from the stun and then hit them. Also a bit sad that Chrom's third taunt isn't based on his victory animation from Awakening but maybe he'll have it as a victory animation.
Probably. Then again, I'm jaded from Lucina, so who knows.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He actually does have it as a victory animation. I don't have a video at the moment, but it was during a tournament hosted by Nintendo of Spain today.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
He actually does have it as a victory animation. I don't have a video at the moment, but it was during a tournament hosted by Nintendo of Spain today.
Thanks Spain and also Opossum

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I managed to track down the video of the match. Right at the end you see the victory pose.
I hope he says "well fought" or I guess anything from Awakening, really nice to see it either way. By the way, I've heard that his up special has super armor like Ike's, anyone seen footage of that? Oh and one more thing, Zelda and Ness have been seen with new victory themes, which likely applies to everyone else from their series. Which means it's likely that every series will be getting a new victory fanfare. Just a small detail.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I hope he says "well fought" or I guess anything from Awakening, really nice to see it either way. By the way, I've heard that his up special has super armor like Ike's, anyone seen footage of that? Oh and one more thing, Zelda and Ness have been seen with new victory themes, which likely applies to everyone else from their series. Which means it's likely that every series will be getting a new victory fanfare. Just a small detail.
New as in, different from the E3 build? Interesting.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
New as in, different from the E3 build? Interesting.
Yeah, seems like those were placeholders (with the exception of those who had entirely new/derivative fanfare to begin with like Ridley) which makes me wonder if characters whose voices have been recycled since Brawl were also placeholders. In this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eA5b9jwxk-8 you can hear Zelda's new fanfare. Not entirely audible over the voices, but you can hear enough that it's noticeably different. I'll try to find a match that actually shows the victory screen with a Fire Emblem character but those are rare.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah, seems like those were placeholders (with the exception of those who had entirely new/derivative fanfare to begin with like Ridley) which makes me wonder if characters whose voices have been recycled since Brawl were also placeholders. In this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eA5b9jwxk-8 you can hear Zelda's new fanfare. Not entirely audible over the voices, but you can hear enough that it's noticeably different. I'll try to find a match that actually shows the victory screen with a Fire Emblem character but those are rare.
I know the Corrins have a Fates one.

Don't get my hopes up for new Lucina lines, please.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I know the Corrins have a Fates one.

Don't get my hopes up for new Lucina lines, please.
Roy and Mewtwo seem to have the same fanfare as before. Perhaps fanfare will differ on a character-to-character basis rather than strictly on series. And yeah I wouldn't get my hopes up for Lucina considering how much her animations didn't change.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Roy and Mewtwo seem to have the same fanfare as before. Perhaps fanfare will differ on a character-to-character basis rather than strictly on series. And yeah I wouldn't get my hopes up for Lucina considering how much her animations didn't change.
Ideally, yes, every fighter gets a unique victory theme, but I doubt it.

Also, yes, and today I am oddly angry about that. Like, more than usual.

Last edited:
Top Bottom