• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

Arthur97

Smash Master
I may be (probably am) in the minority, but I think I may like Roy's sweetspot better than Marth's tipper. Granted, I'm not a competitive player.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
There's way too many characters in that I feel like I'll never be able to settle on a main, but dang am I considering Chrom. I really, really enjoyed Awakening, and enjoyed his presence in it. I also liked Roy's fighting style in 4, but don't really have any attachment to the character. Might end up being my favorite FE character to play as.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I know this was a few days ago, but still...

Chrom finally made it after being done incredibly dirty in Smash 4. Despite Simon being in the same direct, Chrom was the one I lost my mind on the most. I was extremely happy because he was the one I wanted the most in Smash 4 as a newcomer and obviously, I and many others were done dirty.

Congratulations, fellow Shepards. We have joined the Smash Brethren.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Holy hell, my account still exists. I created it almost exclusively to support Chrom back in the Smash 4 days, so happy to see him chromfirmed (lol) as a playable character after 4 years of memetic loser status. I've been following this thread from the shadows since the E3 direct, if you're still accepting supporters, I'd like to join.

As someone who mains Ike who loved the idea of Chrom being an Ike echo, I was slighly disapointed to see him as a Roy echo (I don't dislike him, it's just that I'm not good with him lol). But playing with Lucina allowed me to apreciate Marth more, maybe the same can happen with Roy :)

I wonder if he has other different moves beyond Up B...

Ps: The Smash Direct happened on China and Taiwan's Father's day (and tomorrow will be Father's day here). The timing was good :estatic:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
An incredibly minor nitpick but the only thing I didn't like about the Direct was that Chrom and Dark Samus didn't get personalized fighter text like everyone else. A stupid thing to complain about but come'on, even Richter got his own text even though he's an echo fighter. Heck, I'll come up with them myself!

Chrom: Gets His Chance!

Dark Samus: Phases In!
Yeah, bit of a bummer, really. But again, IIRC in Japan these taglines don't exist, every character has that "Joins the battle!"-thing.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
came by to say congrats to opossum for toughing it out all these years, im super glad you all got your chance another day
i cant wait to play better roy either

Last edited:

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
Just came in here in extend both chromgratulations congratulations, and an apology.

For a very long while after Chrom's disconfirmation, I was very much one of those people who laughed off the idea of him ever getting in Smash, and poked fun at his supporters. This happened mainly before I ever signed up here, but still.
However, I have very much come to understand and sympathize with the pain of having your most wanted disconfirmed. I would like to apologize for all the jokes I've made.

Congratulations, guys.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A little late but thought I'd drop a quick congratulations.

I do also have to say, since I do use both Roy and Ike, its very likely I'll be using Chrom a fair bit as well.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I may be (probably am) in the minority, but I think I may like Roy's sweetspot better than Marth's tipper. Granted, I'm not a competitive player.
I'm not really good with Marth so I did prefer Roy's easier hilt sweetspot, but I prefer a lack of a sweetspot and sourspot more, better for spacing.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
pretty darn late here
glad the Echo Fighter suspect finally been expected.
what's really weird about this is how Chrom is an echo of Roy instead of Ike.
i guess Sakurai realized giving him Roy's flameless build and Ike's Aether recovery was a better outcome.
really glad you guys made it in the end :D

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
pretty darn late here
glad the Echo Fighter suspect finally been expected.
what's really weird about this is how Chrom is an echo of Roy instead of Ike.
i guess Sakurai realized giving him Roy's flameless build and Ike's Aether recovery was a better outcome.
really glad you guys made it in the end :D
There's been some speculation going around that we may be getting the Black Knight as an Ike echo. If that turns out to be true, it may have something to do with it, maybe.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
There's been some speculation going around that we may be getting the Black Knight as an Ike echo. If that turns out to be true, it may have something to do with it, maybe.
Please be real...

Arthur97

Smash Master
That seems more far fetched, but it can't be ruled out I suppose.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
The speculation of the Black Knight as an alternate really comes from Chrom being an Echo fighter. Not just that, but because he opens the doors for more than cosmetic, voice, taunts, idle animations, Tippers/Non Tippers, and etc with the "Echo Fighter Rules." At least, for the moment, an echo fighter can at least have 1 special move that is different from the original AND the Final Smash be different. (Watch the direct for Chrom's Final Smash, as well as Roy's is shown and is the same as Smash 4. They are different)

So, for example, Black Knight could be relatively easy to make an Ike clone. Simply change his Up-B recovery to something asides from Aether. His final smash can be different. Slim down the armor a bit and you have an Ike-Echo that follows the "Echo Fighter Rules."

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
The speculation of the Black Knight as an alternate really comes from Chrom being an Echo fighter. Not just that, but because he opens the doors for more than cosmetic, voice, taunts, idle animations, Tippers/Non Tippers, and etc with the "Echo Fighter Rules." At least, for the moment, an echo fighter can at least have 1 special move that is different from the original AND the Final Smash be different. (Watch the direct for Chrom's Final Smash, as well as Roy's is shown and is the same as Smash 4. They are different)

So, for example, Black Knight could be relatively easy to make an Ike clone. Simply change his Up-B recovery to something asides from Aether. His final smash can be different. Slim down the armor a bit and you have an Ike-Echo that follows the "Echo Fighter Rules."
God yes. I first I had my heart set on Chrom being an Ike echo but now that he ended up being Roy's instead, please bring on Daddy BK! Plus, it would fit with the general "Heroes Vs. Villains" theme this game is working up to.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
That is true for the Smash Ballot, I do agree with that. With the FE fighters in Smash, there isn't a villain or antagonist on the roster unlike some of the other Nintendo series being represented (sizable roster to be more concise). Anyways, BK is an easy fit since 1.) Can easily be an Ike Echo and 2.) recognizable villain with some popularity (FE specifically, but also adds a "Baddy" to the fighter roster.)

Arthur97

Smash Master
Among the Smash fanbase? No. Among the FE fanbase? He's one of the most memorable villains in the entire series.
Villain being the key word there. One of Chrom's advantages was likely that the method of his deconfirmation last time made him popular enough to get plenty of ballot votes while he was already fairly well liked in his home series. Combine that with easy to make, and you have a fighter. We'll have to wait and see, but don't get your hopes up.

As for having a villain for the sake of having a villain, he is only a villain about half the time apparently and even then he only antagonized Ike. The nature of the series means it's probably best to pass it over for a villain.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Oh fair enough, I don't expect him to be added as a certainty or anything. For the sake of how Echo fighters are being made/used allows some flexibility on who/what can be used. I can see FE characters being used pretty easily since they are people with swords ... not too hard to clone or use others from the series. If there is to be an Ike clone, BK would be easy to do.

I do agree with the reason for Chrom was from the WiiU game. Enough people wanted him to be in the game. This was an approriate way to use him via the Echo Clone format.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Villain being the key word there. One of Chrom's advantages was likely that the method of his deconfirmation last time made him popular enough to get plenty of ballot votes while he was already fairly well liked in his home series. Combine that with easy to make, and you have a fighter. We'll have to wait and see, but don't get your hopes up.

As for having a villain for the sake of having a villain, he is only a villain about half the time apparently and even then he only antagonized Ike.
All true. I'm not gonna be expecting it or anything, but boy it'd be nice to have if I'm feeling greedy.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Around the Brawl days there were a lot of Micaiah and Black Knight fans, so maybe they did get a decent amount of votes.
For boss I can see Grima considering there are 3 Awakening characters, but I can also see FE not getting a boss at all.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Remember, FE was still niche back then so "a lot" may not actually correlate to a lot.

NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
Just dropping in to say congratulations everyone on getting Chrom. I'm wasn't a big supporter myself but I know how it feels to get a character be seemingly deconfirmed forever by Sakurai himself only for him to come back from the ashes better than ever (Ridley). Hope you all enjoy playing Chrom!

Troykv

Smash Master
Around the Brawl days there were a lot of Micaiah and Black Knight fans, so maybe they did get a decent amount of votes.
For boss I can see Grima considering there are 3 Awakening characters, but I can also see FE not getting a boss at all.
Well; it's hard to say how many of the original Brawl train decided to continue in that position instead of moving to more relevant choices; but there is definitely support.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
I wonder how the Palutena Guidance would be written for Chrom given that he's now playable. Well in comparison to the interactions in Robin's Palutena Guidance conversation. ASSUMING that comes back for Smash Ultimate (probably) :p

I'm happy for everyone that wanted Chrom in Smash for a long while now thats hes playable! Specifically to the topic creator of this thread, who is the biggest and most dedicated Chrom fan around here in Smashboards!

What up Chroms?

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Haven't posted here before now, but I wanted to give a congratulations to Chrom supporters. A bit late, but better late than never. I played Awakening when it came out, and it was the game that got me into the series. I thought Chrom was a cool character, and in the Smash 4 days he was actually my preferred Fire Emblem newcomer. I thought the jokes at the expense of Chrom weren't fair to the character, and after what Sakurai said then I didn't expect him to ever get in. But he did get his chance another day, and it's wonderful, even if he's a echo of Roy. I'm looking forward to trying Chrom out come December. Congrats, you guys did it.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Well...this thread isn't going to be as active until the game launches, is it? Guess that makes sense, not much to talk about. Oh, and Chrom's Final Smash is called Awakening Aether, for those who haven't checked the site.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd have preferred Exalted Aether, but Awakening Aether gets the job done, haha.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm actually not sure that either the Codecs or Palutena's guidances will be back. It would be a lot of work. The Codecs would need a lot of new ones and the guidances need several too unlike the Star Fox ones which are not dependent upon the rest of the cast.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm actually not sure that either the Codecs or Palutena's guidances will be back. It would be a lot of work. The Codecs would need a lot of new ones and the guidances need several too unlike the Star Fox ones which are not dependent upon the rest of the cast.
With Hayter returning to voice Snake and del Rio returning to voice Pit, I'm hoping they return. If they went through the effort of giving them new voice clips, I'd hope the Codecs/Guidances are a part of that.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
With Hayter returning to voice Snake and del Rio returning to voice Pit, I'm hoping they return. If they went through the effort of giving them new voice clips, I'd hope the Codecs/Guidances are a part of that.
That's a bit more than a few lines of dialogue and grunting. I'd honestly be fine with neither returning. I also thought the guidances just weren't as good.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's a bit more than a few lines of dialogue and grunting. I'd honestly be fine with neither returning. I also thought the guidances just weren't as good.
Yeah honestly I wouldn't be upset if Guidances were cut.

Losing codecs, though, would sting, haha.

StormC

Smash Hero
Way overdue, but wanted to congratulate Chrom fans. You guys got a raw deal in Smash 4, but now he's here! This Direct made so many dreams come true.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So we know that in addition to his default outfit, he also has the obligatory red color swap based on an enemy unit.

Which potential alternate colors or outfits would you like to see? I'm hoping for Great Lord.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
So we know that in addition to his default outfit, he also has the obligatory red color swap based on an enemy unit.

Which potential alternate colors or outfits would you like to see? I'm hoping for Great Lord.
Hopefully an edgy black one if they want to play it safe with alts. I highly doubt they'd take anything from a "lowly" mobile game, but something from Heroes might be cute too.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Well, Lucina's alts are based on that of the female Shepherds, right? So most likely Chrom's will be based on the male Shepherds, so we can probably expect a Frederick alt, a Vaike alt, a Lon'qu alt, a Gaius alt, a Stahl alt, or something of the sort.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Probably most of you guys already noticed, but Chrom uses a normal sword grip for attacks like ftilt, jab, etc. were Roy uses a reverse grip, it’s little details like that shows they put love on Echos too, and don’t get me started on Dark Samus...

Arthur97

Smash Master
Probably most of you guys already noticed, but Chrom uses a normal sword grip for attacks like ftilt, jab, etc. were Roy uses a reverse grip, it’s little details like that shows they put love on Echos too, and don’t get me started on Dark Samus...
Except Lucina (at least Dark Pit did have the same animations as Pit for the most part...probably, and some of Simon's moves come from Richter).

Last edited:
Top Bottom