• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Anything Can Change! - The Chrom Social Thread (Now with a Proper Victory Theme!)

What should we call Chrom's infamous zero-to-death Soaring Slash suicide string?

• Total voters

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I know how much this means to guys like Opossum Opossum so i'm really happy for you guys.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Congratulations Chrom supporters!

I really think that Sakurai did Chrom dirty last round, even worse than Ridley. I'm happy that his day finally did come!

Gameguy1996

Smash Apprentice
Chrom was my favorite of the newcomers how today due to myself being a Fire Emblem fan. Him being a Roy echo over an Ike echo was the the surprising part.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
For me, him being a Roy echo is...worrying in a way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all, and no matter how good he is or isn't, no matter what happens between now and launch, I'll main him. But, see, if he were an Ike echo, I'd be confident in him being at least decent, but Roy is dreadfully bad for a multitude of reasons. Unless Boy, and by extension, Chrom, gets massively buffed, or Chrom is noticeably different in his stats, I'm a tiny bit worried about how he will turn out. I wasn't a very big fan of Roy's style (feels like C. Falcon with a sword, but really bad) to begin with, but seeing as he can be played a little bit differently, maybe it'll turn out fine. I just really hope he doesn't plummet to the blast zone faster than you can say "anything can change" and have a midair jump lower than Charizard and have awful air acceleration that invalidates his great air speed, and basically be nothing like Roy in the air. I should probably just have faith in Sakurai though, he knows what he's doing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Back in the Smash 4 speculation period, I was against Chrom because I thought he wouldn't be all that unique of a fighter, especially when the newcomers were going to offer something new in terms of gameplay.
As the years passed, I settled down and I've grown to liked Chrom a bit more. While he's not my favorite lord or FE character, I do like his portrayal in Heroes; his lines in his Spring, Christmas, and horse alts are pretty hilarious (I'M BEING HELPFUL!).
When Echo fighters were revealed, I thought Chrom would make perfect sense as one and I thought he deserved a spot in Smash in some way. I never thought I would say this, but I am both happy and excited to see Chrom in Smash!
Chromgratulations!

KamikazePotato

Smash Journeyman
For me, him being a Roy echo is...worrying in a way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all, and no matter how good he is or isn't, no matter what happens between now and launch, I'll main him. But, see, if he were an Ike echo, I'd be confident in him being at least decent, but Roy is dreadfully bad for a multitude of reasons. Unless Boy, and by extension, Chrom, gets massively buffed, or Chrom is noticeably different in his stats, I'm a tiny bit worried about how he will turn out. I wasn't a very big fan of Roy's style (feels like C. Falcon with a sword, but really bad) to begin with, but seeing as he can be played a little bit differently, maybe it'll turn out fine. I just really hope he doesn't plummet to the blast zone faster than you can "anything can change" and have a midair jump lower than Charizard and have awful air acceleration that invalidates his great air speed, and basically be nothing like Roy in the air. I should probably just have faith in Sakurai though, he knows what he's doing.
Honestly, if speculation turns out to be true and Chrom is the more balanced 'Lucina' version of Roy, he'll already be miles better than Roy was. Roy's reliance on the sweetspot is the biggest reason he's so bad - his non-sweetspot damage is terrible.

Chromfirmed

Smash Journeyman
For me it is the best Smash Bros in history, Chrom is playable and the rest of the characters that I like also. I'm happy But now only Hans is left.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
To celebrate Chrom’s victory, I think we need some Chrom quotes, I’ll go first.

“It's pretty tough to fight while lugging this sack around”

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Since Classic Mode in Ultimate uses set fighters for each character, it would be foolish to not include this rematch.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Speaking of Classic mode, what are some fights you expect to see for Chrom?

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Man Chrom looks better than I could’ve hoped. I figured Ike echo, maybe Marth echo, but definitely not a Roy/Ike hybrid.

Can’t wait to play as my favorite FE lord!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Speaking of Classic mode, what are some fights you expect to see for Chrom?
A duel with Captain Falcon is a given, I think. Beyond that, I'd love to see a match against Ganondorf called "The Paths of Kings and Conquerors" to reference his conversations with Walhart.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
I forgot to post here yesterday but Chromgratulations everyone!!! I'm glad we got chrom and i can't wait to play him. :)

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
I know a lot of people think Chrom has Ike's up B but he doesn't. Chrom is using his signature move from his fight against Lucina.
For me, him being a Roy echo is...worrying in a way. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all, and no matter how good he is or isn't, no matter what happens between now and launch, I'll main him. But, see, if he were an Ike echo, I'd be confident in him being at least decent, but Roy is dreadfully bad for a multitude of reasons. Unless Boy, and by extension, Chrom, gets massively buffed, or Chrom is noticeably different in his stats, I'm a tiny bit worried about how he will turn out. I wasn't a very big fan of Roy's style (feels like C. Falcon with a sword, but really bad) to begin with, but seeing as he can be played a little bit differently, maybe it'll turn out fine. I just really hope he doesn't plummet to the blast zone faster than you can "anything can change" and have a midair jump lower than Charizard and have awful air acceleration that invalidates his great air speed, and basically be nothing like Roy in the air. I should probably just have faith in Sakurai though, he knows what he's doing.
I wouldn't worry about Chrom being bad. He is literally Roy without sweet spots, which probably makes him amazing. Roy's sweet spot is what made him pretty bad. Chrom will probably inherit Roy's combo game, speed, and super armor on grounded up B. Chrom's up B was also shown to go higher than Roy's as seen in the direct. Having a bad off stage game doesn't doom a character all the time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As a fun fact, besides the special case that is male and female Corrin, Chrom will be the first Fire Emblem character to get two amiibo.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
A duel with Captain Falcon is a given, I think. Beyond that, I'd love to see a match against Ganondorf called "The Paths of Kings and Conquerors" to reference his conversations with Walhart.
You made me remember Chrom’s and Walhart’s dialogue just before they fight, it was truly epic, and i konw that word gets thrown out a lot but i truly mean it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You made me remember Chrom’s and Walhart’s dialogue just before they fight, it was truly epic, and i konw that word gets thrown out a lot but i truly mean it.
People like to write the Valm arc off as filler, but honestly I loved it. It fleshes out Chrom's character more and really shows him coming into his own when it comes to being an Exalt. Walhart also makes a fantastic foil to Chrom as well, and is easily the best villain character in Awakening IMO (though to be fair Walhart and Gangrel were the only two I especially liked).
Though SoV did vastly improve my opinion of Grima, for what it's worth.

That and the fact that the Valm arc is a big Gaiden/SoV callback/forward, and the fact that it relates heavily to Virion's character arc, since he's my second favorite FE character. :p

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
People like to write the Valm arc off as filler, but honestly I loved it. It fleshes out Chrom's character more and really shows him coming into his own when it comes to being an Exalt. Walhart also makes a fantastic foil to Chrom as well, and is easily the best villain character in Awakening IMO (though to be fair Walhart and Gangrel were the only two I especially liked).
Though SoV did vastly improve my opinion of Grima, for what it's worth.

That and the fact that the Valm arc is a big Gaiden/SoV callback/forward, and the fact that it relates heavily to Virion's character arc, since he's my second favorite FE character. :p
Oh i totally agree on Chrom’s development during the second arc, and Walhart is my favorite villain too, if anything the last arc was the underwhelming one, it felt rushed and Valldar was wathever, he was just a forgettable villain.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I wonder what they'll do with Chrom, Robin and Lucina in terms of victory quotes against one another? I know Lucina has one for Marth and Ike, and both Robin's have one for her. Will Chrom have one for both of them, plus maybe Marth? And I'd imagine they will also get one for him most likely.

What do you guys think they'll say?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wonder what they'll do with Chrom, Robin and Lucina in terms of victory quotes against one another? I know Lucina has one for Marth and Ike, and both Robin's have one for her. Will Chrom have one for both of them, plus maybe Marth? And I'd imagine they will also get one for him most likely.

What do you guys think they'll say?
Weirdly enough, I think it'll depend entirely on whether or not they reuse Lucina's voice clips. If it's still the Laura Bailey clips, Lucina likely won't have one for Chrom, seeing as she doesn't voice Lucina anymore (Alexis Tipton does). Robin, though, I think definitely will. David Vincent, Robin's male voice actor, is supposedly playing Richter last I heard, so he'd need to come in for rerecording anyway.

The way I see it, Chrom and Robin will almost certainly have victory quotes with one another. Chrom will also likely have one toward Marth, but Marth wouldn't have one toward Chrom. I'm positive Chrom will have one toward Lucina as well, but whether or not Lucina has one toward Chrom will depend entirely on whether or not they redub her or not.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I imagine Lucina will be redubbed since she has a new VA. That or maybe reusing other clips from Warriors and Heroes if they can.

Marth may have one for Chrom though since he is getting English lines as well as new Japanese lines. Why not give him special quotes now? May get one for Lucina too.

Seeing as Lucina didn't have one for the Robins, Chrom may not either. If he does, I do hope it's different for each one like how both Robins had different Lucina quotes. Speaking of, female Robin's will possibly change since I'm guessing the Chrom victory pose is gone. Sure she can still be so cruel, but they may change it. Hopefully it still shows her apparent dislike of Lucina though.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Did Matt Mercer comment on Chrom being in? He must be very ecstatic to have a character voiced by him in Smash.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

That's all so far from Mercer about Chrom.

He did have a joke with Laura Bailey (the then Voice Actress for Lucina) about her being a good daughter if she could sneak him into Smash about 3 years ago though.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

That's all so far from Mercer about Chrom.

He did have a joke with Laura Bailey (the then Voice Actress for Lucina) about her being a good daughter if she could sneak him into Smash about 3 years ago though.

Guess he had to get a new daughter to get in Smash (it’s great that Matt Mercer is still gonna okay Chrom after all these short years)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Congrats on the Chromfirmation by the way, guys! I always thought he deserved more than just an echo and lo and behold he's actually probably the most unique echo so far. Good for you guys. I was never a huge supporter but was always interested in the idea. So, last time, congrats!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Opossum Opossum

My heartfelt thanks buddy. I know I don't particularly deserve to be there since I wasn't exactly showing support on my own end for Chrom due becoming enbittered since Sm4sh-days, and it's kind of meaningless to be there now too since he's confirmed.

But the sentiment's what's important, and I really appreciate it.

As to all of you, biggest respects for staring at the very eyes of snubbing despite the high probabilities for Echo (along with digging more evidence), while keeping on supporting the guy long before Ultimate truly revealed itself with Echo Fighter-overhaul. I could really use taking after your brave example.

Needless to say once more, Chromgratulations. You all have very much earned it. :dr^_^:

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If the rumors of Spirits being a story mode are to be believed, I'd love to see how Chrom is incorporated.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I am very happy for Chrom mains! I honestly like Fire Emblem characters, so this is a good thing honestly.

Opossum Opossum , new main? :)

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I haven't noticed this until now, but does Chrom have a new up tilt along with Aether?

It definitely doesn't look like Roy's up tilt, and it also seems a bit different from Marth and Lucina's.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
I haven't noticed this until now, but does Chrom have a new up tilt along with Aether?

It definitely doesn't look like Roy's up tilt, and it also seems a bit different from Marth and Lucina's.
I don't think that's his U-Tilt. In both instances, he followed with Up B.

Another point is that it gave the same sparkle Smash attacks do.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I am very happy for Chrom mains! I honestly like Fire Emblem characters, so this is a good thing honestly.

Opossum Opossum , new main? :)
Absolutely! Plus I already main Marth and Little Mac, so Chrom should be familiar for me due to being based off of Roy, who's based off of Marth, and having a likely-poor recovery...like...Little Mac.

Oh.

BUT STILL! :p Definitely gonna try to be the best I can with him.

I'm fairly sure that's the first hit of his up special. Unlike Ike, Chrom doesn't throw his sword upward first, which is true to Awakening's Two Falchions cutscene. To compensate, the initial hit is grounded now, it seems.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
An incredibly minor nitpick but the only thing I didn't like about the Direct was that Chrom and Dark Samus didn't get personalized fighter text like everyone else. A stupid thing to complain about but come'on, even Richter got his own text even though he's an echo fighter. Heck, I'll come up with them myself!

Chrom: Gets His Chance!

Dark Samus: Phases In!

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Absolutely! Plus I already main Marth and Little Mac, so Chrom should be familiar for me due to being based off of Roy, who's based off of Marth, and having a likely-poor recovery...like...Little Mac.

Oh.

BUT STILL! :p Definitely gonna try to be the best I can with him.

I'm fairly sure that's the first hit of his up special. Unlike Ike, Chrom doesn't throw his sword upward first, which is true to Awakening's Two Falchions cutscene. To compensate, the initial hit is grounded now, it seems.
I don't think that's his U-Tilt. In both instances, he followed with Up B.

Another point is that it gave the same sparkle Smash attacks do.
Ahhh, you're right. I completely forgot that detail.

Anyway, congrats to all of you! You're all on the seemingly endless list of "You earned this" supporters! Glad to have one of the best Lords in the series~

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
As a Smash 4 Roy main and a huge Fire Emblem Awakening fan, I'm extremely happy to see Chrom in the game and even doubly so as a Roy Echo. His potential with a fully balanced sword excites me a lot and I seriously can't wait... That being said, I think there's some misconceptions about Roy in Smash 4 I want to clarify that I've seen in here.

Roy is not bad because of his sour-spots. Sure it makes him worse at nickel and diming other characters in neutral but the reward of sweet-spot F-tilts, Up-tilts, and his terrifying F-Smash more than made up for that. What held Roy back was his lack of strong neutral options, he would get juggled due to being a fast faller, he struggled to land once put into the air, and he has a poor recovery. Even with a balanced blade and a better neutral, I can still see Chrom suffering from many of these same issues.

The good news is thanks to the universal landing lag changes, dash-dancing, being able to Jab/Tilt/Smash out of dashes, and nerfs to many of the top tiers he couldn't compete with, Roy will probably be a fair bit stronger and by extension so will Chrom! Looking forward to playing with you all when the game comes out!

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I am so damn happy, I've wanted Chrom in Smash since pre-Smash-4-times! After the Lucina/Robin-trailer I didn't think he would get another chance again. However, after Sakurai announced the concept of Echo-fighters two months ago, I had hope again and after a few days I was very convinced (due to so many indications) that he will actually return. And he did! Chrom looks great and actually is the most unique Echo fighter so far. My favourite Fire Emblem fighter in Smash 4 was Lucina, in Smash Ultimate it will be Chrom. I can't wait to play him. Thank you so much Mr. Sakurai!!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The Chrom icons for your Smash Mains postbit is now live! And now Chrom is in the background of all my posts. :p

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
So I probably say this every time a bunch of newcomers are announced, but I'm really considering making Chrom one of my mains. I really liked Roy's new animations in Smash 4. If the speculation is true and Chrom has a balanced blade like Lucina, then he'll definitely be easier to use and probably higher on the tier list.

Top Bottom