• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

anyone else worried zoner players might get suspended for unsportsman like behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Let's not project. If you feel an overwhelming sense of guilt after playing Duck Hunt, it's because you should.

Joking aside, some characters make me want to turn the ****ing game off, but it's your right to play them.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
They put it in the game so I'm sure they guessed people would utilize it to the fullest. Not the player's fault for doing just that.

I don't think there's any remote chance of people getting suspended for it. That would incur a ****storm.

Savage1

Smash Rookie
Saw this on the scrub quotes twitter page. There's so much rage for zoners the past few days on there.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Lol I really can't see this happening.
It happens, trust me on this. If you've ever played Dota 2 theres a character called techies and if you play him you'll get reports weekly because people don't like his playstyle in the game because he's so different.

People get really salty online.

Artanix

Smash Rookie
I used to play Ryu in SF and zoned heavily using hadouken, used to get alot of people complaining at me saying it was a scrub technique, but if you can deal with it happening, I have to adapt.

I'm new to this, but isn't this the case? if they're spamming projectiles, once you've shown 2 or 3 times you can deal with it and trade effectively, then they have to change it up.

Or is it just the fact that dealing with it is painful as hell and it only offers you high risk low reward stuff? I dunno, it's annoying but learning to smash people who only have a one dimensional approach to these chars is fun, they get super salty when their cheese doesn't work.

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
https://imgur.com/a/q88o298

This is real.
And the most concerning part is that it was full of comments supporting the idea of reporting spammers.
I spent so many weeks banned in Smash Wii U because people kept reporting my Ness, so seeing this is especially aggravating. Not knowing how to counter a strategy is not a legitimate reason to report.

In Ultimate, you have to give details for the purpose of the report, but so far, I havent heard of anyone's experience using the report feature. For all we know, no one actually reads these and its just a deterrent to keep people from false reports.

Here's hoping we dont get a For Glory Hell Part II

Last edited:

NathanD

Smash Rookie
It's really odd to me the amount of complaints about our PK boys when there are some characters who benefit from the projectile spam than us. I enjoy playing against projectile characters it's like a platformer. I don't understand the mentality but I have seen some unnecessary complaints spiral out of control and the developers can't ignore it even if the community for the most part only says it half heartedly.

I'm really loving Lucas I would be heartbreaking to see my tools weakened when we already have sufficient deficits.

If you are getting upset in a game you really need to get your mind right. It's all in your head. Find your own fun/happiness because it's never going to fall in your lap.

Last edited:

NathanD

Smash Rookie
I used to have a griefing mvc3 max projectile team that would drive my friends crazy. It become core to our meta but the funny thing is I never dropped a game to it even though it was a constantly wall of projectiles. It was really fun to play against. Very relaxing vs the stress of footsies.

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
You guys forget that that a lot of people play smash for fun, even 1v1s. They probably aren’t trying very hard to get good or haven’t adopted a competitive mindset. So when they run into that one guy who just plays keepaway with pk fire, it’s pretty easy to see why players get irritated to the point of reporting.

Zoning characters come packaged with that salt inducing burden. It’s just something you have to accept.

Last edited:

"Bn"

Smash Cadet
Isle of Wight. It's in England by the way......
So I've never used a Belmont before, and he is not in my elite smash. I just did three blindfolded matches in quickplay (three different opponents, got 3 stock each) and won two of them by mainly mashing specials and Fsmash after a downB. While there are a ton of variables within what i just experienced, opponent skill level being the main thing, it's probably things like this that people get angry about.

It's the "braindead" mentality, some characters are just easier to use than others; someone who has been practicing nonstop with a technical character may well be getting the same results as a new player fresh out of classic mode picking someone easier. It's frustrating for the person who's put the hours in to see this as it feels like their efforts are invalidated.

Also, zoners become much more powerful under the drunken influence of online; any sort of lag will make the timing to evade much stricter and if it's really bad, the projectile has already hit you before it's come out. I've seen a lot of laggy Ness's and Belmonts in elite smash that are just mashing the hell out of buttons. I wonder what the character ranking that only Nintendo can see looks like...... Must be very different to all the tier lists we've been getting.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Yeah, let's not make a post just to target an individual and try to stir up drama. Thanks. ~Mic

Last edited by a moderator:

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
These are legitimate concerns.
To anyone who dealt with For Glory Hell knows how a couple salty players can ruin the experience of better players

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
If you make it to Elite Smash, or at least higher GSPs, you basically stop running into this problem.

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
If you make it to Elite Smash, or at least higher GSPs, you basically stop running into this problem.
I would hope so, but I've already ran into some players who rage quit after I take a stock by primarily using PK Fire, which I'll never apologize for because it's such a laggy move that if you get hit with them constantly, it's only because you're playing so predictably.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've actually had the misfortune of coming across very campy players. Even people who aren't using a character with projectile. It's apart of their arsenal, so people need to learn to deal with it. People need to start asking how to deal with certain zoners, because guess what? If you're a scrub, nerfing a zoner isn't going to make them any less difficult for you. And it'll just make them not worth using since there are better players out there who can deal with projectile game. I'd argue that Duck Hunt, and Pac-Man were bad in the last Smash game. Samus struggled as well. Now they actually seem good for once. Complaining about PK Fire? Ness' is escapable. Learn how to get out of it. Lucas' is a pain, but it only goes straight, so shield and move in or jump over it.

Or if you want to be a scrub, stop playing the game entirely. Or pick up a character who can spam back.

Mikazuki

Smash Cadet
Not really... 90% of my battles are against Links, Samus, Ness, Lucas, Dededes and K Rools abusing their projectiles. Sometimes I feel like I am the only ZSS and Corrin main in elite and get the impression, that projectile spam or spammy strong moves in general are the way to go.

Well, I can deal fairly well against projectiles (Pin and Flip Jump, yo), but I can see why a lot of people find it hard to deal with. Input Lag, delay and buffer makes it even worse. Sometimes you get hit by stuff you normally would have avoided or shielded if it weren't for the lag. That is obviously quite frustrating. Projectiles aren't the issue here, it is a vaild strategy after all. Nintendo-senpai's awful Online service is the real culrpit here.

Last edited:

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
Not really... 90% of my battles are against Links, Samus, Ness, Lucas, Dededes and K Rools abusing their projectiles. Sometimes I feel like I am the only ZSS and Corrin main in elite and get the impression, that projectile spam or spammy strong moves in general are the way to go.

Well, I can deal fairly well against projectiles (Pin and Flip Jump, yo), but I can see why a lot of people find it hard to deal with. Input Lag, delay and buffer makes it even worse. Sometimes you get hit by stuff you normally would have avoided or shielded if it weren't for the lag. That is obviously quite frustrating. Projectiles aren't the issue here, it is a vaild strategy after all. Nintendo-senpai's awful Online service is the real culrpit here.
You misunderstand. I don't mean projectile spam doesn't exist. I mean at the high GSPs, people don't complain about it because you learn do deal with it and counter it. If spamming projectiles leads to wins, you'd be stupid to NOT spam them.

And at high GSPs, people understand this.

You have the correct mentality: complaining about a playstyle instead of learning and adapting and developing counterplay where possible is a scrub behavior.

Last edited:

InfiniteRE

Smash Cadet
The complaining is pointless. There are zoners in the game for a reason, and even if you attend IRL tournaments your going to run into them. Best way to play against them no matter who you are using is to learn your combos, be good in the air, short hop, and offstage pressure. Players who tend to projectile spam relies on those projectiles and not much else, so you could really punish up close. Just know the game doesn't really have a rule book, and players will do what they need to do to win.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo is really bad at two things. Online design and menu design. To that end, its kinda annoying to back out to report people so its probably not an issue... but... still a great idea. I honestly can't see how people think playing these degenerate play styles is fun, and i really would not care if I saw them in less than 90% of my games. Anyway, their ban algorithm is likely equally as idiotic as their GSP and matchmaking system so this may actually work.

Last edited:

pollo20x620x6

Smash Cadet
I think I might be banned already lol

I keep running into the same players every other day or so. You would think for a game this new I wouldn't be playing the same people. This is the 3rd day i played the sams palutena player. Could be the gsp thing, but I remain skeptical. I wouldnt put it last Nintendo to sneak in a BS ban system again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom