• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else have trouble recovering with Daisy/Peach's Up B?

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
I love Daisy and had wanted her in Smash since the Brawl days pretty much. So as soon as I got her through World of Light I tried her out. I've gotten okay/decent with her considering that I was completely new to the moveset (never liked Peach at all). But recovery has consistently been an issue. It feels like 50% of the time, she doesn't actually grab the ledge even though I got her RIGHT THERE with Daisy Parasol.

Anyone else have trouble recovering with her?

I heard Kirby has a similar issue, so is it a glitch?

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
You might be trying to grab the stage backwards, as Peach and Daisy can't grab on backwards unless the parasol is closed. Other than that I'm not too sure.
I'm not though. And even so, it should allow you to do it forwards or backwards. Otherwise is stupid and hindering imo.

Last edited:

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I'm not though. And even so, it should allow you to do it forwards or backwards. Otherwise is stupid and hindering imo.
It's not a Glitch. It's how the mechanics of the game works. If you recover at a certain height and onward, you will not sweetspot the ledge. You have to be a bit more precise. Think of it as trying to grab the ledge in melee. You have to seriously time your recovery to grab the ledge and not get punished. Smash 5 is about half as strict as melee when grabbing the ledge.

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
It's not a Glitch. It's how the mechanics of the game works. If you recover at a certain height and onward, you will not sweetspot the ledge. You have to be a bit more precise. Think of it as trying to grab the ledge in melee. You have to seriously time your recovery to grab the ledge and not get punished. Smash 5 is about half as strict as melee when grabbing the ledge.
I did not play Melee much at all, so I'm not sure what you mean here. And I only have trouble recovering with Daisy, not any of the other characters I've been using (Marth, Mii Swordfighter, Ike...).

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
You have to time your UP B so the very top of the parasol touches the ledge. If peach face or body is touching the ledge she won't grab it until the top of her parasol touches the ledge. In smash4 and brawl the game was set up so if almost any part of her body was touching it she's grab the ledge immediately.

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
You have to time your UP B so the very top of the parasol touches the ledge. If peach face or body is touching the ledge she won't grab it until the top of her parasol touches the ledge. In smash4 and brawl the game was set up so if almost any part of her body was touching it she's grab the ledge immediately.
I can't seem to time it half the time, so I still think this is kind of dumb when I have a much easier time recovering with other characters' up B moves.

claystate

Smash Rookie
well, you're right in that relative to the rest of the cast it is a little harder to sweetspot, but i wouldn't call it dumb lol. if you wanna be good with peach/daisy you gotta learn to execute it!...or hope for a patch lol

anyway, to your point - i've been running into this issue a bunch too. based on what Dark.Pch Dark.Pch stated ("recover at a certain height and onward") i assume it's just a recovery height limitation, in that i just need to upb low enough to activate the sweetspot - am i reading into that correctly? i was gonna try to lab it out a little more to understand peach/daisy sweetspot, but if that's all it is then i'll just assume it's solved

Last edited:

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
t i just need to upb low enough to activate the sweetspot - am i reading into that correctly?
yes

if you do it too high, you'll float just above the ledge and that's a free punish

argol228

Smash Rookie
I can't seem to time it half the time, so I still think this is kind of dumb when I have a much easier time recovering with other characters' up B moves.
Peach is a good character for offstage play and can deny so many opponents from recovery that there needs to be a bit of skill involved with having to face in the right direction to ledge grab. as a peach main myself, I have had no issue with grabbing the ledge. She is unique in that she has such good offstage play while also having a recovery move.

Anacybele

Smash Cadet
Peach is a good character for offstage play and can deny so many opponents from recovery that there needs to be a bit of skill involved with having to face in the right direction to ledge grab. as a peach main myself, I have had no issue with grabbing the ledge. She is unique in that she has such good offstage play while also having a recovery move.
I use Daisy, not Peach since I don't like the latter, but I see.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
So is metaknight but he can grab it backwards.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
As someone who played Peach decently often in 4, and even in brawl, I am ALSO having issues with Peach/Daisy's recovery. Something is weird with it. Even after I miss the ledge (whether or not I missed it legitimately or due to some weirdness) I occasionally just don't snap to the ledge on the way down, even if I'm facing it, even if I have the umbrella down. Something is definitely going on here.

Anacybele Anacybele you're not alone.

Last edited:

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
You can reverse up b, by holding up and slightly to the side that you want to turn to.

Peach mains need to be able to reverse her up b and get used to sweetspotting.

She can also float for a considerable amount of time by holding jump and can also recover horizontally with side b (but start from a little below the ledge as it rises a bit and you'll end up on stage with lag).

Peach is one of the most technical characters in the game.

And Daisy is identical to Peach in every way, they only have aesthetic differences, no changes mechanically.

Edit: As an additional tip. Don't hold up or down while you use your up b, you won't snap ledge if you do. Make sure to let go of up before you hit the ledge.

Edit 2: One thing that you will also really need to know to get down is how to fast fall with her. To fast fall you activate float, release float and then you can fast fall. I usually do it by pressing up and then down. But keep in mind this will waste your float.

Last edited:

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours playing Peach in Brawl and Smash 4 and something is definitely going on here. Apparently now, even if you are hugging the stage (Battlefield, FD, etc.) unless the tip of the parasoul connects with the edge you will over shoot the ledge. I believe Dark.Pch Dark.Pch is correct about this being an overall mechanic change rather than a bug because I'm finding I'm able to overshoot the ledge when I'm Marth and Mario. This also didn't happen in Brawl or Smash 4.

Frankly it's pretty annoying and while I'll adapt if they don't fix it, it definitely FEELS like a bug because unlike in Melee in Smash Ultimate the game is pretty forgiving about snapping to the ledge if you undershoot it so it doesn't seem intuitive that it punishes you if you aren't strict when it comes to overshooting the ledge.

I believe haxfactory haxfactory is incorrect when saying that if you hold up or down when you use the parasoul you won't snap to the ledge. I just got out of the lab and it appears that regardless of if you hold up or down the interaction with the ledge is the same. If you undershoot the ledge, even if your holding up you will still snap. Additionally if you overshoot it slightly, even if you aren't holding up/down you still won't snap.

claystate

Smash Rookie
i can imagine it being implemented by design, in the sense of forcing only 2 "main" heights for sweetspotting. however, the thing stopping me from believing it is due to the fact that this isn't consistent across characters. for example, i heard inkling upb sweetspots at any height...

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
i can imagine it being implemented by design, in the sense of forcing only 2 "main" heights for sweetspotting. however, the thing stopping me from believing it is due to the fact that this isn't consistent across characters. for example, i heard inkling upb sweetspots at any height...
I can test this tomorrow to confirm if no one else has by then, but I know for certain that there are other characters that i tested aside from Peach/Daisy that also overshoot (Mario, Luigi, Lucina, Marth and a couple others I tested).

clandest1ne

Smash Rookie
Im pretty sure the overshooting mechanic was added on purpose, except inkling is the one character that still snaps to the ledge in up-B always and never overshoots. It's more likely that the situation with inkling is a bug and the overshooting mechanic was implemented on purpose. You simply must get used to the height required to sweet spot the ledge. Cant remember which tournament it was but the pro's were discussing it on stream during the grand final, then again, they may be wrong. But thats the gist i got from it.

Top Bottom