• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone else have On and off days in smash?

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I suppose I've experienced some "off" days, but I think the thing that really gets me is the mentality that I'll lose when matched with a poor match-up. For example, if I see a Yoshi, I immediately think to myself "Oh great, looks like I won't be winning this one". It's a really stupid thing to do to myself, so I'm trying to get rid of that mentality and to just try my best against him/her.

It's a double edged sword really, because if I see a character I find to be a good match-up, I tend to relax more and be more confident in my abilities. Even if it turns out to be a hard game and I get beaten, I usually keep up the positive thinking because I like to fight the character I'm fighting. They're not even such one-sided match-ups; I think it's my positive energy that helps me do better in those matches.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
I get really mad when losing in a :4duckhunt: ditto so much. I had that yesterday when this guy just camped and stalled the whole match. I ended up losing in sudden death because of a bomb landing on me. And yes lag messes up everyone's momentum in a match. It's like playing on an LCD TV. Every move has a 1 second delay. I do have my bad days when I play Melee and Project M too. There are some days where I can't wave dash or follow up my combos.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I have bad days, like everyone else here, it seems, but I don't think I've ever had times where I do so badly that it was like my first time playing (other than my actual first time playing) like other people here have been saying they do. IMO a truly bad day is when you can't even win against a CPU with one of your mains.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
Literally all the time. Either I'm excellent, or totally worthless.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I'll be buying a Wii U for Smash 4 so if you want to play anytime hmu, always looking for other competitive players to get better with haha.
I'm totally down man. Netplay for new Smash will be a blessing for the competitive community.

No, I just want to beat you because I'm sick of the discrimination on this website, from mods and the community. I spend hours reading threads the only time I usually post is with meaningful information while people who spend the same amount of time on "Ridley 4 SMASH 4" threads get mkre respect and opinions are valued by this community.
This post was a bit extreme, but I agree with the part on discrimination by some mods and other posters. The high and mighty attitude some people adopt here can be super bad, even if I'm being hypocritical in pointing it out. It just kind of happens to some people.
You shouldn't take the nuclear option, like you did later on though. Dissenting opinion doesn't mean the other person is casual.

I get really mad when losing in a :4duckhunt: ditto so much. I had that yesterday when this guy just camped and stalled the whole match. I ended up losing in sudden death because of a bomb landing on me. And yes lag messes up everyone's momentum in a match. It's like playing on an LCD TV. Every move has a 1 second delay. I do have my bad days when I play Melee and Project M too. There are some days where I can't wave dash or follow up my combos.
Don't mean to **** in your cornflakes, but from what I've seen Duck Hunt Dog is supposed to camp all day. His close range game being competent is just so you can get them off you when it comes to that, but as far as I have seen his game plan is camp, camp, camp.

Last edited:

Negoksai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Negoksai
3DS FC
3781-0352-9739
Sorry but it's frustrating, I just got 3 infraction points on "Trolling" when I clearly wasn't. I just got unbanned from something I shouldn't have been banned from in the first place and my pefectly legitimate thread got locked, and a mod killed the conversation on my other threas. When I try to talk to the mods on support threads they outright ignore me, so your comment on "randoms" made me extremely angry, it's like insulting my skin color. I'll probably pick up an infraction point or two for posting this.

GeZ

Smash Lord
I feel like we got off on the wrong foot, which was my fault completely.

I think that people shouldn't ignore opportunities to improve because they're having an off day, but people definitely have off days.

When the game comes out, we should all get some matches in. I bet Negoksai does stomp, but it'll be good practice for everyone else until we can be good sparring buddies for each other.

Edit:
Sorry but it's frustrating, I just got 3 infraction points on "Trolling" when I clearly wasn't. I just got unbanned from something I shouldn't have been banned from in the first place and my pefectly legitimate thread got locked, and a mod killed the conversation on my other threas. When I try to talk to the mods on support threads they outright ignore me, so your comment on "randoms" made me extremely angry, it's like insulting my skin color. I'll probably pick up an infraction point or two for posting this.
Mods definitely won't tolerate some ****. I had a friend get banned for having a profile pic that was sort of questionable, but definitely not worth the banning. It can get pretty bad. You just have to tip-toe around them and try not to get on their bad side, cause they will just make it a bad time, unfortunately. They can be more stand up then they first seem though. Give em a chance. They've surprised me before.

Last edited:

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
Well, kind of? I played a lot today, and though I felt like I wasn't doing very well, I won far more matches than I lost. I definitely have had off days in the past though, where my game and thought process just weren't up to par. I think I've been getting it under good control, if today is any indication.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
:4duckhunt: has some pretty decent follow ups if you know how to use him. There are tons of things to do with the can other than just camp. Most people I've seen online though are campers so I get what you mean. But he does have an ok aerial and combo game.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
I've been there the last few days to the point where I've almost quit like twice lol. I've been losing every other match constantly lately where I'm starting to stop playing for a few days only to come back with the same problem. I've just been playing people who stand on their side of the stage and spam you with stuff, or troll and don't do anything and do weird movements. I honestly can't have fun anymore, but whatever. I keep coming back because at the end of the day it's entertainment nonetheless. #moveforward

PS: When I'm at my last stock and I end up launching myself off the stage with Ness's PK thunder at like 0% and lose the match. That really gets to me.. but practice makes perfect so keep on trying until you win.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Yesterday was specially rough for me because I had a lot of moments of "I knew I was gonna get hit, it was so obvious. And yet, I ran right into it". One should probably take a break when that is happening, but then its hard to listen to one's reason when the blood is pumping and the salt is flowing.

Its weird how can you love a game that makes you feel like an idiot most of the time.

Last edited:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Yeah, I have on and off days for sure. I went from a 80% to a 47% win rate in a week from a number of factors. I was basically playing Smash whenever I didnt want to write my paper for English, and I used it as a stress reliever. I was just happy to be playing the game, so even if I wasn't doing as good as I normally do, I'd continue playing for hours. This led to a lot of sets where I'd win 1 and lose 2, or win 2 and lose 1, depending on the opponent.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
In For Glory I tend to have matches where I go on a continuous winning/losing streak. Depends on the time I play.

Forever 9

Smash Cadet
NNID
ForeverNin9
3DS FC
3626-0399-4225
Yesterday was specially rough for me because I had a lot of moments of "I knew I was gonna get hit, it was so obvious. And yet, I ran right into it". One should probably take a break when that is happening, but then its hard to listen to one's reason when the blood is pumping and the salt is flowing.

Its weird how can you love a game that makes you feel like an idiot most of the time.
I totally agree with you on that. Every time I lose I just keep on coming back for more. It's that little competitive pulse that's in all of us.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
At least for me I play at pretty much the same consistent level unless I woke up less than an hour ago and start playing. Then I'm a little sluggish.

Treehugger

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3883-6020-2201
All the freakin' time.

As they say, a good gamer adjusts to lag and circumstances. A bad gamer will either ragequit, dis the opponent or spill a john.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
One day I was doing crazy shizz like 4stocking and zero to deaths and stuff... literally the best day I've had in Smash. Then the next day was the worst I've performed that entire year. I don't know what happened.

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
I main wario and secondary bowser jr. I have bad days all the time. But when I have good days it's real good day lol

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Good days and bad days happen in life...but y'know, you have to get down and dirty with the bad in order to truly appreciate the good. It is only natural to fluctuate between these. And this is coming from someone who underwent a 17 game losing streak....only to follow it up with a 22 game winning streak. XD

Jtails

Smash Lord
It seems as though I have been summoned!

An "on" or "off" day can be caused by anything, Granted when someone of higher skill has an "off" day it might not be noticed, simply because they are that much better than most of their opponents (mostly talking about for glory)

But everything can be a factor, mis-inputs, going on tilt, not eating, loss from winners bracket, lack of sleep, having to go to the bathroom.

It is in my opinion that NO MATTER THE REASON. If you lose.. you lose. It is your responsibility as a competitor, to get the proper amount of sleep, eat before playing, do everything you have to do, to put yourself into the right mindset. You must also recognize when your opponent is simply outplaying you, and you don't make excuses for this.

The faster one can seperate, "My opponent outplayed me, let me figure out what I need to improve." or "I didn't sleep enough last night which is resulting in my CLEARLY poor decisions that I usually don't make." The faster one can improve and become a better player.

Chalking things up to an off day is usually not productive, identifying the reason for your inconsistency is the most important part of growing as a player.

I as everyone has had their inconsistent matches, tournaments, days, but this can be remedied through practice usually. Sometimes you're just not in the right state of mind despite all the practice and hours you put into the game. Though this becomes less apparent at high level, because since you're so good, even having an off day, you can beat most players. But yeah consistency has been a huge issue for me in the brawl tournament days, and I've since then been working on it.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
typically i do, especially back in brawl. idk if its psychological or there is something prohibiting us from doing our best. maybe loosing a lot makes you loose your confidence and you need to take a breather before you can pull yourself together.

JRedd7272

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 4384 0504 6810
I play Ultimate a lot, and one day, I am doing very good whether I win or lose! Then another day, I play badly, and I freaking hate it, and I want it to stop. But I can't, and never will. I just hope either if I get wins or losses, I just have a good performance.

Top Bottom