• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Anyone else find this hilarious?

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
Best Wii Game – ‘The Legend Zelda: Skyward Sword’

This is from Spike TV's video game awards 2011. Does anyone else find this hilarious? Not because SS won that -- hell, any other game would suffice. But it's the category I'm laughing at. 'Best Wii game' doesn't sound like a good category because let's be honest. Who buys a Nintendo console for third party games? Maybe I'm looking at this in the wrong way. I don't know... I'm under the impression that this category also included third party titles rather than just first party titles which is silly because 2 other consoles have the same game that performs better than the Wii.

Spire

III
BRoomer
It's basically an excuse to award Skyward Sword with something while giving Skyrim GotY.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
spike video game awards are a joke anyway. epic mickey was also nominated, and that came out in 2010. I also read somewhere that skyward sword was nominated before it had even been released.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Epic Mickey was nominated??? It's freicken Christmas and my lil bro got it for xmas last year lmao. Not saying it isn't good... but <_< >_> <_<

Yea, Spike VGAs have always been a joke

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Idk, I pretty much enjoy the awards.
SS pretty much wins it since every VGA review rating is an 8-10.

10/10 on gameinformer for example.
So that could make sense as well.

I could be wrong, though.
But yeah, we all can pretty much agree that SS was a very awesome game.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Best Wii Game – ‘The Legend Zelda: Skyward Sword’

This is from Spike TV's video game awards 2011. Does anyone else find this hilarious? Not because SS won that -- hell, any other game would suffice. But it's the category I'm laughing at. 'Best Wii game' doesn't sound like a good category because let's be honest. Who buys a Nintendo console for third party games? Maybe I'm looking at this in the wrong way. I don't know... I'm under the impression that this category also included third party titles rather than just first party titles which is silly because 2 other consoles have the same game that performs better than the Wii.
Well wouldn't there be nominations, probably would've been terrible games but then again Return to dreamland would've got a nom. Or did they just award the game.
It's basically an excuse to award Skyward Sword with something while giving Skyrim GotY.
I understand that since Skyrim got nothing other than GotY which is also understandable as in every specific category it got plain beat but it did deserve an award. However as for an SS award, didn't t win best motion controls? I guess they did it to be unbiased with best PC, Xbox and PS3 game.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
I understand that since Skyrim got nothing other than GotY which is also understandable as in every specific category it got plain beat but it did deserve an award. However as for an SS award, didn't t win best motion controls? I guess they did it to be unbiased with best PC, Xbox and PS3 game.
- Batman: Arkham City defeats The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to become ‘Xbox 360 Game of the Year’.
- Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception defeats The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to become ‘PlayStation 3 Game of the Year’. Skyrim was not nominated for this award.
- Portal 2 defeats The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to become ‘PC Game of the Year’. Skyrim was not nominated for this award, either.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim defeats Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, and Portal 2 to become ‘Game of the Year’.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
- Batman: Arkham City defeats The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to become ‘Xbox 360 Game of the Year’.
- Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception defeats The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to become ‘PlayStation 3 Game of the Year’. Skyrim was not nominated for this award.
- Portal 2 defeats The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim to become ‘PC Game of the Year’. Skyrim was not nominated for this award, either.
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim defeats Batman: Arkham City, Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception, and Portal 2 to become ‘Game of the Year’.
That's exactly my point, it had got beaten in every category(or not nominated which is essentially the same) but it did deserve an award, why GotY I don't know.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Needed moar DKCR. That, and SS, along with Brawl where the best Wii games. In my humble opinion.

:phone:

etecoon

Smash Hero
Xenoblade is the best Wii game IMO, but other than that yeah, DKCR and SS are the next two in line

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
That's exactly my point, it had got beaten in every category(or not nominated which is essentially the same) but it did deserve an award, why GotY I don't know.
That doesn't make sense. If a game is beaten in every other area it could have possibly won in, that makes it worse than the other games, not better. Even if it's a great game, but that doesn't mean anyone is obligated to award it anything.

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
That doesn't make sense. If a game is beaten in every other area it could have possibly won in, that makes it worse than the other games, not better. Even if it's a great game, but that doesn't mean anyone is obligated to award it anything.
It makes sense if u stop thinking about the spike vga as an actual award ceremony.

This “event” is about “honoring” as many video games as possible and then promoting the sequel; where Uncharted 2 can win Game of the Year while losing out on Best Action-Adventure Game. It’s not about ceremony. It’s about visibility.
http://www.the-ghetto.org/content/2010-spike-video-game-awards-sing-along-guide

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
I see. I take back what I said earlier. Why bother having awards then? Why not have a list of the good games from the year, if they're just trying to give publicity to those games?

Vionce

Smash Journeyman
Well, the most obvious answer that I can think of is money. In some sense the spike vga is a 2 hour long advertisement. There are lists of good games of the year. IGN, gamespot, GI, any game site usually has some kind of top games of the year for various genres and platforms.

The greatest problem, however, is that many GOTY or lists/rankings do not define what it takes to be a good game or take position number 1. Without some kind of defitnion of quality (which unfortunatly can often end up being a recursive defition) the GOTY is just what's most popular (or in spike vga, what year the elder scrolls came out)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Xenoblade is the best Wii game IMO, but other than that yeah, DKCR and SS are the next two in line
Is it really?

It looks horribly generic from what I've seen.

Maybe I just don't the style

Top Bottom