• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anybody else disappointed with the DLC characters… music? Is there any particular pieces that you wanted?

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
This is kinda odd to be disappointed with, but I really do feel this way. Im talking specifically Sephiroth, Hero, and Sora. Somewhat with steve as well. I just feel that these characters have very generic and unfitting music for smash. Sephiroth has pretty boring music beyond one winged angel. Hero not only uses MIDI, but has some of the most boring pieces as well. I specifically would rather have “stake my life on it” instead of any of the other pieces. Sora has pretty calm music and very cartoony. Banjo kinda the same with a very skruncklo feel. I love all of these DLC fighters (besides banjo), but their music was very underwhelming.

ARMS music slaps though.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
At the top of my head kind of wish we got Mayahem Temple, Cloud Cuckooland, & the Gruntilda Boss theme from the 1st Banjo game.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
It was a little disappointing but you do kind of have to understand that music, for something like smash, seems like it’s really hard to actually get in the game because of licensing issues and fighting super hard to get particular tracks in smash isn’t really worth it just for music.

So yeah, a lot of the times in the pass the music doesn’t really represent the series well but we can’t really expect it to always do so.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Hard disagree on Sephiroth. Not sure what you dislike about his music selection considering that pretty much every iconic FF7 music was with him (Main theme, Bombing mission, One winged angel, JENOVA and Aerith theme) and you get a bunch of Advent children music too (I think they sound very cheesy but the original version of those are also there so I don't mind them). I do agree on Dragon quest and Kingdom hearts, tho for Dragon quest I didn't mind it because the franchise was never known for having incredible music in the first place.

Linkmain-maybe

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1042-6735-2236
Hard disagree on Sephiroth. Not sure what you dislike about his music selection considering that pretty much every iconic FF7 music was with him (Main theme, Bombing mission, One winged angel, JENOVA and Aerith theme) and you get a bunch of Advent children music too (I think they sound very cheesy but the original version of those are also there so I don't mind them). I do agree on Dragon quest and Kingdom hearts, tho for Dragon quest I didn't mind it because the franchise was never known for having incredible music in the first place.
I understand that the FF music is iconic… but I have never heard most of them before Sephiroth in smash. I have no connection or nostalgia towards it, so its just more video games music to me. Regarding Dragon Quest, many of the pieces chose were the boring generic ones that you hear in the over world CONSTANTLY. What music I want is more like Sylvandos theme which shows the games adventurous yet silly themes, and stake my life on it which highlights the tragedy and seriousness of the series. Anything would be better than wagon wheels march, which is the most generic piece of video game music in history.

Yea, the Advent children music is quite cheesy, I think it leaded too far into the edgy side.

For Kingdom Hearts, there was so much potential! The battle theme of 358/2 days is silly yet action filled. The emotional theme at the end of 358/2 days was so good as well! Yet they chose… Gummi ship? Why? Out of so many cool tracks, Gummi ship theme!?!?

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
The main one for me is actually Joker, though I should stress that there's aspects i loved - most notably the inclusion of P4 and P3 music.

It just seemed like a lot of good P5 picks weren't added, such as Whims of Fate, Keeper of Lust, Life Goes On, Price, a remix of Tokyo Daylight, and even Break In to Break Out (the anime wasn't good, but this opening was hella nice) and anything from Persona 5 Dancing (which came out a few months before the reveal), most notably the theme song, GROOVY.

I'm in a weird place where what we got makes sense (except Our Beginning I guess?) and I love what we did get, especially the remix of Beneath the Mask, but I think that a few more tracks would have gone well there - especially when we look at how characters like Terry brought in a whole 50 tracks compared to Persona's 11. In fact, I notably didn't even include suggestions from the rest of the Persona series or from SMT as a whole, but stuff from there would be amazing too.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Life will change not being added is a crime. Especially since it was in Joker's trailer. I'd pay the price of a full challenger pack just to get that song.
Life Will Change not being in was so incredibly bizarre to me. The fact that they used it in his trailer was weird enough as is, but then when you consider that it's literally one of the game's best known songs, it's even weirder.

A part of me wonders if there were issues with licensing, given that people like Lotus Juice, for instance, are like literal musicians outside of the Persona series.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I wish Sora came with the Moon theme from Ducktales, I wish Sephiroth came with Stand Your Ground! from FFXV, and I wish Steve came with some of the new Lena Raine music from the Nether update, but other than that I’m good.

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Sephiroth got great music (remixes), Sora's was underwhelming. I remember Sakurai had to request music for many of the 3rd party dlc from the owners of the IPs and with Fatal Fury they just gave him all of the songs but with Kingdom Hearts Disney was very selective.

God Shattering Star is all I want

Baysha

Smash Ace
Whenever I see someone mention God Shattering Star in this thread I think they're talking about a song just called Shattering Star and they're just using god for emphasis.

But yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of Steve not getting any main game songs.

Arthur97

Smash Master
It was a little disappointing but you do kind of have to understand that music, for something like smash, seems like it’s really hard to actually get in the game because of licensing issues and fighting super hard to get particular tracks in smash isn’t really worth it just for music.

So yeah, a lot of the times in the pass the music doesn’t really represent the series well but we can’t really expect it to always do so.
Maybe...but they could have at least put the original Counterattack if they were gonna butcher the remix so hard.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Not at all disappointed but, if I was to list tracks I wish was included…

Did I want to see these tracks included? You betcha! Am I disappointed they aren’t in? Not really as I understand that there was things holding them back.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean...is there any reason they couldn't have used the ARMS or TH tracks? Not like it has third party red tape. If there are any that are fair to be upset with, its the first party ones.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Sora is potentially the one I'm most understanding of...except maybe not using the very prominent trailer song in the pack...and having one save file blocked.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A few additional songs could've been added alongside the Pyra/Mythra challenger pack.
  • Kingdom of Uraya
  • Tantal
  • The Power of Jin
The Banjo & Kazooie challenger pack could've had some extra songs as well.
  • Gobi's Valley (Original)
  • Vs. Gruntilda
  • Isle O' Hags
  • Mayahem Temple
  • Weldar
  • Cloud Cuckooland

Top Bottom