• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any weaknesses that Charizard has?

jollypong

Smash Cadet
My friend plays Charizard and I play a plethora if characters but i cant seem to beat him. I finally learned how to get out of the dthrows but things like nair and the flying always mess me up. Are there any weaknesses or exploits that i can use against charizard? Are there any characters or strategies that Charizard has trouble against? Any answer would be much appreciated.

jaytorgator

Smash Cadet
Well, as you've probably noticed already, Charizard is deceptively fast. The nair and glides also give him a lot of aerial control, but the one thing that probably doesn't make him the most godly character in the game is his sheer size.

Charizard's huge size makes him a bit too easy to juggle, and it makes him extremely susceptible to projectiles. Charizard is not a fan of projectiles. His main way to deal with them is his jab or a RAR Nair but usually by the time he's done with that, you have a small window of opportunity to start juggling away at him.

Link does really well against Charizard in my opinion, if he utilizes his projectiles well.

Fox is godly against Charizard, mainly due to it being Fox. He's fast enough to juggle Charizard around while keeping his distance.

However, the character I have the worst time against is probably Sonic; Charizard's mainly a punisher, so Sonic's speed doesn't allow Charizard to punish properly. Also, Sonic's Up+B is a good counter to a Charizard who's going for an Up+B off the top kill. The spring gives him enough distance to avoid the spin and the spring itself also helps to either hit or stun the Charizard trying it.

If it's the Nairs and the glides that are giving you trouble though, keep your distance, and wait for the Nair and then punish. A Charizard will most likely play the neutral game using Nair, so if you can find an opening during its animation, rush in and do what you can. When it comes to Glides, if they're directly approaching you, attack earlier than you normally would. His Glide attack is basically a sideways version of his Up+B, you need to take priority by attacking first in order to avoid that.

TLDNR: Charizard is a huge ass punisher who doesn't like being attacked from afar. Use projectiles or outspeed him and beat him at his own punishing game.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
My friend plays Charizard and I play a plethora if characters but i cant seem to beat him. I finally learned how to get out of the dthrows but things like nair and the flying always mess me up. Are there any weaknesses or exploits that i can use against charizard? Are there any characters or strategies that Charizard has trouble against? Any answer would be much appreciated.

Projectiles are your big ticket, Link, Mario etc. can give him a super tough time. However it doesn't mean it's free by any means, there really isn't a hard counter-pick to Zard, sometimes you'll just have to outskill your opponent.

Now for Nair, well that's a tough one cause Nair is a really really safe move IF USED CORRECTLY. One of the main weaknesses of the move is that if he connects with the startup behind him, then the backswing can't hit you. So block the startup, when wavedash out of shield to punish his landing cause the backswing won't hit you. Now if he spaces the Nair right in front of you, then you have to wait for the start up to disappear, then jump in over the backswing to hit him. However, considering it's rather large range if Reverse Aerial Rushed, it can be tough to do.

As for Glide Attack, don't try and beat it. Seriously, that thing has invincibility and disjoints that are pretty dang stupid in all honestly. Unless you have Ivysaur's Bair you ain't beating it. So here's what you do. Block, just block the whole thing and punish the end lag of it. Now if the Zard you're playing is smart they'll try and mix it up with just landing and then grabbing you (since landing from a glide cancel has no lag), so be wary of that.

Oh also, if he grabs you, start DI-ing behind him, if you don't he can Bthrow you and get a free Fair or really whatever he wants. If he Dthrows, you've got plenty of time to react.

If you want some more or have more specific questions feel free to ask. But I'd also recommend reading this guide on how to play Zard, so that you know what he's wanting to do. I also outline his weaknesses of certain strategies in there so hopefully it can help

http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-train-your-dragon-meta-game-guide-for-charizard-3-0-2.365650/

Hope that helped!

Last edited:

Phoca017

Smash Rookie
Some projectiles really bother charizard, but not all. Link and falco causes a lot of trouble to him, but Mario, Lucas and samus not too much (for me at last) because bite (ftilt) and jab crash with this projectiles, its a match of patience.

Charizard suffers too against who has better range (Ganondorf) and edgeguard (Sheik)

DatDaisy

Smash Rookie
Like others have said, projectiles eat Charizard up, just because of his size. I've noticed a very volatile matchup with Falco, where he'll completely destroy Zard on stage but once offstage, Zard has d-tilt to sweep the ledge. If you have a Falco you're confident in, maybe that'll do the trick?

Dingo1011

Smash Rookie
To solve Charizard's problem against projectiles, power shielding may sound a bit over fetched but it's about the best thing he/anyone can do. I personally try my best to work on my timing for power shielding from various distances and while running toward the projectile in training mode. For a while I thought maybe it's kinda pointless to do this but when I came across a samus player I managed to power shield nearly every missile shot. Definitely throws the other player off since dealing with power shielded projectiles is just something people don't ordinarily expect.

Top Bottom