• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any troubling matchups so far?

Daedra

vibing
Game & Watch's reflect and patty flipping thing make being king k difficult amongst other factors. richter is super challenging too. sword characters with their below 4 frame attacks make me wanna die as well

but i love this character and cant wait to get better with these matchups and hopefully not have to complain about em. that being said, how are you guys doing so far?
<3

Mr. Grabs

Smash Cadet
I was playing against a great Captain Falcon in person earlier and he was just so aggressive and in my face. Way faster and can even spike K Rool when he's recovering. I was able to kind of throw him of his aggressive game with K Rool's counter, but it's risky because if he catches on Falcon can dish a lot of damage.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
I'd say Inkling and Ridley could be difficult....Ridley due to his sheer speed and inkling because one stray splat bomb is all it takes to turn K.Rool into a giant pinata for them(be wary of the splat roller and don't just walk right into that situation)

Tommo2304

Smash Rookie
Richter gave me huge problems online. I'm sure I was probably approaching him all wrong, but I couldn't even get a gut check in. His projectiles just kept me from getting anywhere near him, while K. Rool's usually great projectiles were mostly too slow to keep up. Hopefully it was just me being green with the character still.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
As Snake i find K Rool pretty easy to deal with as he is so huge i can zone him easy.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
I found Zelda can be quite frustrating to fight against. She always stays far back and out zones you with her phantom and Din's fire. When you get to high percentage she can punish any of your projectiles with a teleport and it kills surprisingly early. It's also fairly easy for her to short hop forward kick you and get the sweet spot on K Rool's massive body.

Anyone else had this problem?

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I'm just garbage at these matchups or what, lol, but I tend to have issues going against :ultridley:, :ultsimon:/:ultrichter:, :ultinkling:, and :ultlink:
In my defense, I am rather unfamiliar with those character's playstyles, being newcomers and all - except Link, but even he's got a different playstyle this time around.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I posted on the Ness forums asking for help, but Ness landing PK Fire on K.Rool is just awful. Unless I'm missing something, you will very easily get memed for 40%+ for free if one hits you. Supposedly we can armor through it to an extent, but I'm not sure if it's in a situation where we'd be able to trade with Nair/dash attack, or just straight up lose. I also read that we can Nair through his PK Thunder during recovery, but I have yet to try it.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I watched a tournament video where a Fox player basically tore him apart.

It seems as though the heavyweight that does well against fast, oppressive characters may, ironically, be Bowser...

I posted on the Ness forums asking for help, but Ness landing PK Fire on K.Rool is just awful. Unless I'm missing something, you will very easily get memed for 40%+ for free if one hits you. Supposedly we can armor through it to an extent, but I'm not sure if it's in a situation where we'd be able to trade with Nair/dash attack, or just straight up lose. I also read that we can Nair through his PK Thunder during recovery, but I have yet to try it.
Why Nair it when you can counter it? ;)

Last edited:

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Another flat garbage matchup for krool is Toon and Young link. Krool is combo food and gets abused by the array of projectiles.

Zelda too can ruin him with Din and Nayru spam, and its easy to space her fair and bair on the large lad.

Really anyone faster then him who can out-lame him gives him issues, or if they can contest his recovery like Snake, R.O.B, MK, etc.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
My brother mained Game & Watch in Smash 4, and G&W seems to have a lot in his kit to shut down K. Rool, particularly his neutral special at ledge, and his new forward air projectile. This is just my own anecdotal experience however.

maybe.

Smash Cadet
Anyone who has a better projectile/zoning game. K Rool is forced into approaching it gets really tough for him. The Belmonts and Link have been especially troublesome. Looking at secondaries I think a really fast rush down zone breaking type of character is going to be the ideal back up for K Rool. I've been playing Palutena as my main secondary as her speed and reflector make her really good against those types of characters I think.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who has a better projectile/zoning game. K Rool is forced into approaching it gets really tough for him. The Belmonts and Link have been especially troublesome. Looking at secondaries I think a really fast rush down zone breaking type of character is going to be the ideal back up for K Rool. I've been playing Palutena as my main secondary as her speed and reflector make her really good against those types of characters I think.
I've been using Palutena as my secondary character too! She was really buffed a lot this game.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Funny, I also chose Palutena as one of my secondaries. I definitely agree that she feels a lot better in this game. Been alternating between BotW Link, K. Rool, Palutena, Ganondorf and Simon a lot. I'm sure a few more will join this mini roster, but that's where I'm at right now.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I like to play Shulk as my secondary. His aerials are Great and Speed Mode is terrifying!

I do agree though, Zone Heavy fighters can be a problem, forcing you to Play slowly. Luckily Kannonball and Krown shut down a lot of incoming stuff, however our King may loose potential spam wars...

Darkscyther

Smash Cadet
On our Saturday launch tournament I ended up only losing against a Sonic both in winner and loser bracket (the same Sonic, duh). I had a hard time adapting his style. Even though the said player is not a champ and was abusing certain Sonic mechanics (I come from Melee, played some S4 but that's about it), I couldn't really adapt or find a way to counter most of his attacks. The biggest problems were Sonic's speed and jump heights, and the fact that Krool was combo food. The said Sonic also learned pretty fast to grab my krown and nullify my approach.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I like to play Shulk as my secondary. His aerials are Great and Speed Mode is terrifying!

I do agree though, Zone Heavy fighters can be a problem, forcing you to Play slowly. Luckily Kannonball and Krown shut down a lot of incoming stuff, however our King may loose potential spam wars...
I actually disagree. I've found the best success playing super aggressively against zoners. If they don't have enough room to breathe, they can't zone you. Using super armor is a great way to keep them oppressed, maybe only taking a break to let your golden belly heal.

Daedra

vibing
I actually disagree. I've found the best success playing super aggressively against zoners. If they don't have enough room to breathe, they can't zone you. Using super armor is a great way to keep them oppressed, maybe only taking a break to let your golden belly heal.
I agree with this, once you tough it out and find a way to punish the spam (ex. Richter axes and holy water), the campy opponent is just kinda in a scramble until they can sprint towards the opposite end of the stage which by that time have racked up a good amount of damage.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
:ultfalcon: is such a hard match up. He has the speed to harass us, the combos to tack the damage on, and the kill power to make our weight meaningless. IMO one of the toughest match ups for us.

I've faced off against a few decent Palutena players online using K.Rool and its been difficult. She can use her projectiles to create/maintain distance and then follow up for combos while K.Rool is being juggled in whatever attack he may be stuck in. Her Smash attacks are quite a powerful follow up in particular, that plus a reflector and seemingly being a bit more speedier this time around, she's a tough cookie.

Agree with Toon Link and Falcon as well, combo food. Against those types of characters you really have to make every attack count!

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Projectile characters are bothersome, it seems. Even though K. Rool has a reflector, it's not as reliable as Fox's or even Mario's, since it leaves you vulnerable for longer due to also being a counter. I've personally struggled against Peach but that might be a problem on my end only, I've always had problems with her.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Projectile characters are bothersome, it seems. Even though K. Rool has a reflector, it's not as reliable as Fox's or even Mario's, since it leaves you vulnerable for longer due to also being a counter. I've personally struggled against Peach but that might be a problem on my end only, I've always had problems with her.
Yes! I feel a little embarrassed to say this after reading about her being low tier and not impressive, but Samus is REALLY difficult for me as K Rool. Anyone else find the same?

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Yes! I feel a little embarrassed to say this after reading about her being low tier and not impressive, but Samus is REALLY difficult for me as K Rool. Anyone else find the same?
Haven't fought her as K. Rool (outside of doubles anyway) but she's pretty annoying for everyone else that I play, so I'm guessing it would be no different for the king. Maybe I just need to be more aggressive with him or something.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Went to a tournament last night and got completely dominated by a :ultvillager: and a :ultfox:

Villager completely walled me out, broke my belly multiple times with bowling ball and tree, and bowling ball makes recovering very difficult.

Fox just combo'd me to death. Once I was in the air, I didn't even have a chance to throw out a move before being KO'd. Projectiles were useless, and my recovery was pretty much a "kick me" sign.

Villager might be manageable, but idk how Our King and Savior can handle a good Fox.

Nameyga

Smash Rookie
Hey all hope you are well. I am currently struggeling with Characters with Tether grabs. Not too sure how to approch them

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
How does he do against wolf, meta knight and mewtwo?
Wolf has a reflector, his sideB is easy to land on krool, and has good strings

Meta Knight can combo him to death and challenge his recovery

Mewtwo can space him out, refect his junk, but he can get K.O.ed by krool easy

Hey all hope you are well. I am currently struggeling with Characters with Tether grabs. Not too sure how to approch them
The trick with Tethers is to bait them out and then punish, they are slow to recover.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Wolf has a reflector, his sideB is easy to land on krool, and has good strings

Meta Knight can combo him to death and challenge his recovery

Mewtwo can space him out, refect his junk, but he can get K.O.ed by krool easy

The trick with Tethers is to bait them out and then punish, they are slow to recover.
So MK and Wolf both eat him alive where with mewtwo its not as easy, well I know my krool counters now.

Videocatbox

Smash Rookie
I got 3 stocked by a Zelda I beat game 1 and either it's because I didn't use my projectiles right or it's because I let the guy have his set ups. Lightning kick slaughtered me on recovery. I'm beginning to feel that K. Rool is kind of a lower mid tier. His weaknesses are exploitable but I absolutely love the character still

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
I’ve had a deal of trouble with Lucina/Chrom; they stay up my ass and just ping-pong me around the stage if they know what they’re doing. They’re absolutely oppressive and can just short hop me to oblivion. Any advice?

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
I'm beginning to feel that K. Rool is kind of a lower mid tier. His weaknesses are exploitable but I absolutely love the character still
I've also come to this conclusion. Combo characters completely shut down King K, speed characters walk all over him, and projectile characters make it impossible to approach.
I still want to stick with our Reptile Royalty, but he is nowhere near the S tier everyone thought he was.

Darkscyther

Smash Cadet
Any suggestion to play against projectile-heavy characters?

I found it difficult to play against the belmonts but also megaman. The heavy spam and the slow startup of krool moves makes it difficult to use the super armor to pass through. Using projectiles is so slow that by the time we throw something they threw more stuff at us. When the gap is closed we have the kit to punish, but getting close is the real issue. Also, the down b is too slow and not really effective most of the times. Maybe my issue is that online play is mostly based on prediction rather than reaction due to the input lag (pardon everybody but I come from the mighty melee).

Kulty

Smash Ace
Chrom/Roy gave me a really difficult time as King K Rool. It's so frustrating bc I always get hit and it's so difficult for me to punish his landing. Everytime I try to throw out my crown and cannon safely, he managed to cross me up and punish me for it.
Inkling is just too fast for K Rool to play his game.
Simon/Richter give me a really b**** of a time. I can barely damage him.
I don't want to give up on K Rool, but man I really start to doubt whether King K Rool's matchups are not as good as I think, or I just have to git gud.

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
Isabelle and Villager can Pocket our Krown disabling us from using it ever again, on top of already stuffing K. Rool out with their projectile game. It is not a fun time against those two, particularly Isabelle with her Fishing Rod ledge guards against our recovery.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Played a Luigi online today who force fed me some salt. Easy u tilt combos up to 80 percent, then one good read for a sweet spot up B or even F smash is gg. And here I thought Luigi got nerfed.

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
Any advice for a Pichu matchup? It's a stupid matchup I shouldn't be losing but they keep approaching from the air and getting off atleast 50%+ in combos. I can sometimes catch the aerial approach with a nair of my own but it's not consistent...

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Any advice for a Pichu matchup? It's a stupid matchup I shouldn't be losing but they keep approaching from the air and getting off atleast 50%+ in combos. I can sometimes catch the aerial approach with a nair of my own but it's not consistent...
As a Pichu secondary, your strategy should be:
-Outspace Pichu
-Don't get caught in laggy moves
-Avoid offstage battle as much as possible. Pichu can gimp, but will have to get you to 250+ to get an honest kill.

Armor also stuffs a lot of 'Chu's approaches. Balance armor moves with quick moves, since if you get caught in lag that's a free opening for Pichu. And lastly, this goes for any quick character match up; don't forget to move. I always catch myself standing still and waiting for the enemy to approach, but if you move you become harder to hit and make more openings for yourself.

Last edited:

Spitfire16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spitfire94
Inkling and pretty any character that relies on projectiles. Inklings dash always throws me off, I'm just not used to seeing such a unique dash, and the animation itself looks like an attack and I never know how to comprehend it until it's too late lol.

Top Bottom