• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Toon Link Mains?

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
I’m planning to secondary Toon Link, but this place seems pretty quiet and doesn’t contain that much info. I would like to learn more about the character, currently am using YouTube guides and tournament videos to learn. Speaking of tournaments, any really skilled T. Link player you know of who you’ve got gameplay footage from? Thanks in advance, those of you who steer clear of the more popular Links and stick with the underdog of the trio.

Nengar94

Smash Rookie
I am actually a toon link main, and joined a toon link discord if you want the link??!? I'd be happy to give it to you! They are a really great group of people with lots of knowledge of tink.

TJ919

Smash Journeyman
I dropped Toon Link early on just because I always failed to kill with him, but honestly if you're good at keeping a light-weight on stage that is literally his only weakness. I never fail to approach with T.ink, his projectiles are amazing.

-His arrows fly the farthest with little charge up
-as long as an enemy is in range, you can slap a bomb on them and take no damage unlike other links
And in my personal opinon he looks the best

I want to say that Jtails still plays Toon Link once in a while. Most other players I've seen in tournaments rely on their general skill and don't have a lot of character knowledge. Most of the good ones seem to play online, from what I can tell. I don't follow the competitive scene as closely as I used to, so there might be someone else I'm not aware of.

The big things that I would recommend thinking about/looking into:
1. Z-dropping bombs and catching them. This game has a lot of options for catching items, which helps with mind-games.

2. Attack cancelling. Toon Link mostly uses this so you can instantly throw a bomb as you catch it. It's pretty tricky to do, though.

3. Throws. Most people seem to prefer down-throw at low percents, for some reason. At 0% it can lead to jab-locks, but other than that it doesn't have any real follow-ups unless I'm missing something. Up-throw -> up-air works at low-mid percents, depending on the character, so I'd recommend that if you want extra damage and not just positioning. Back-throw is your kill throw.

4. Neutral. Toon Link is more complicated neutral than most characters. His projectiles are a big part of his game plan, but his big damage comes from his sword, so ideally you would use projectiles to either confirm into close combat or to manipulate people into a situation that limits their options. Don't be afraid to back off if it's not safe to push your advantage. Tink is fast enough to get out of Dodge in most situations if you don't overextend.

5. Kills. He has a lot of kill moves, but most of them aren't going to happen much without confirms or conditioning. I'll let you look them up, since that's something a lot of people covering Tink will cover. Up-B is excellent, though. I believe it comes out at frame 6 on the ground and kills close to the ledge as early as most things. Usually, kills can happen between 110-130%. If it's just not happening for you, I think up-throw starts killing around 170%, but I might be conflating data from Young Link with that one.

One thing that I find weird is that Toon Link probably has as many combo tools as Young Link, but they are all situational, so it's fairly easy to get 40% combos in training mode, but it won't happen as much in actual matches. I think he has more room to grow than the other Links, so have fun figuring stuff out. If you have questions or want to talk about something, feel free to ask. I get the feeling a lot of us lurk pretty frequently, even if we aren't posting much.

Last edited:

GoadMoose

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link main here [also play Snake, Marth, Ridley, and MK]. I've seen hitbox info for other characters but haven't found any for TL, is there a way to make some myself or does anybody know where I'd find it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CTuYq-oCgY

For anyone looking for some high level Toon Link play. It's a set against Zackray's Wolf, and it's a good one.

I also want to make an amendment to my earlier post where I talked about back-throw at low percents. I was actually thinking about down-throw when I typed that. Down-throw true-combos into back-air at 0%, but leaves you in lag while your opponent drops to the floor and gets a free punish. shooting an arrow after down-throw mitigates the risk and can jab-lock, but you're depending on the other person not to tech. Sorry for any confusion. I'll edit the post to fix what I said.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Toon Link is a wholeheartedly fun character with satisfying hit sounds. He's reliable in the air, agile and can wreck at surprising rates. Young Link feels like a downgrade in comparison.

Top Bottom