• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips from other Sonic mains?

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
Trying to get better with Sonic. I know most of his tricks, but not doing too well online. Cant seem to find a good match up for Sonic and I have found out that Mario pretty much destroys him. I am an aggressive player and I try to rush down my opponents but they usually just roll away from everything I do. Any tips? And no I am not a tourney level player, nor do I want to be. I am a descent player just wanting to get better.

TheAwesomefroggy

Smash Journeyman
I'm not the best with Sonic, but since no ones responding I guess I can, but i'll only give you what i'm certian is true.

His best stage is Yoshi's Island. This is because if you do his side b on the edge of it, he'll be invincible during the attack. There's also some other tricks you can do. I don't remember all of them, but you can look up "Sonic SSBB Advanced Techniques" or something like that. Some are: you can both jump and flick the c stick out of down/side b. You can put the c stick diagonally upwards while running to do a "running up smash". If you hit forward, then f-smash, he will go forward while doing the f smash. Don't be afraid to see how far you can get him to go. If you haven't double jumped, you can press shield on the ground or as you reach it out of side b.

This one's hard to pull off (for me) but if the opponent is approaching you and you spring, they will launch off the spring at the same time as you.
This is kinda hard to explain, but if you want to know how to do his "jab lock", just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG25uzFeWkE

Sorry if you already knew this. I just wanna stick with basic things. There's some other stuff you can pick up from videos (like I did, make sure they're recent), but this a good amount of what I know for sure.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Mario doesn't destroy Sonic. I actually feel that Sonic might have the advantage against Mario. This is based off of my experience of beating Boss, granted this was years ago, but I think it still holds true. Luigi on the other hand...

If rolling is your problem, get better. Unless it's like, Lucario, rolling is a generally pretty unsafe option since it's very predictable and punishable. Pick up player habits and predict when they're going to roll, bait it, and punish accordingly. When their roll is over, the invincibility will be gone but they'll still experience a sort of cooldown where they can't do anything, so strike then. This is a player thing, not a match up problem. Learn character roll distances and etc. and just learn to player. You'll find yourself being infinitely better when you can recognize and capitalize on these things. Sonic has a pretty even ratio of good to bad match ups, and he doesn't get hard countered by any one character which not many characters around Sonic's tier can flaunt, so that already gives you a pretty good footing.

Also I'm just gonna toss out that I think Lylat is one of Sonic's best stages. It ****s up a lot of characters with it's stupid ledges, there's a lot of room for running, and the platform placement is super nice for stage control and Sonic can just utilize the layout of this level really nicely imo. The ledges aren't really an issue for Sonic since he can't sweetspot with his Up B anyway, so you're always going to try to be recovering high and landing safely somewhere on the level as a general rule of thumb. The glitchy/moving ledges are pretty negligible whereas a lot of characters will despise it.

Other than that, just lurk this board more. Learn as much as you can. If you still can't find the answers to more specific questions you may have, take it to the FAQ.

:093:

Saiyan Man

Smash Rookie
NNID
SaiyanManX
3DS FC
5086-2435-4982
Let me give you some advices with Sonic.

1.Use spin dashes and spin charges a lot
2.If you're in the air,(after a spring or in the air regularly)use d-air to get down quickly.
3.Use ASC cancelling and spin dash cancel for mindgames.
4.Also when in the air after u-throwing your opponent and a spring,use u-air or b-air to kill your opponent.
5.Make a quick choice do you want to recover with a spring or a spin shot.
6.Follow up with u-air,b-air(at high damage),f-air(at high damage),d-air,and n-air(at low damage)after a spin charge.
(Note:N-air and d-air might not work after spin charge.Try it out though)
That is all the advices I got for Sonic.If these advices don't help,send a comment to me or someone else who's a very good Sonic player.I hope these advices helped you very much.Good luck :sonic: .Btw,you're right.Mario has a better match-up than Sonic.
:sonic: (45) < :mario2: (55)

Here's some good matches from the 3 great Sonic players in the world.

Meek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThRC4rfl5pk
__X__: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_kdIIHJgQQ
Espy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD7zUyh1xdk

Watch these guys play and learn from them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom