• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any tips for going against Ike online?

Dr. Arc

Smash Rookie
Hey all!

I've been training as Joker and I've been having a particularly miserable time dealing with Ike online. Mind, I've won a few times but it doesn't make approaching him any easier. His aerials just seem so safe. Any tips on how I can more effectively punish someone who just spams aerials? My Nair and Bair just seem too short to reach him, and my Fair is too slow. Shielding isn't too effective either as the range of his sword gives him a lot of leeway. If I recall, my only counter to him after I drop my shield is F-tilt.

Thanks in advance!

Phatty

Smash Cadet
Parry him into Dtilt combos. When he gets wise to that spot-dodge tomahawk attempts and don't fall for double-jump baits.

Using your counter also works against his aerials but don't overdo it or you'll get tomahawked.

You can also dash back and punish landing aerials with Eiha/Eigaon. Heck, you can even use it to intercept him in the air. Also, if he FHs a lot you can use grappling hook and get a decent combo.

Last edited:

Dr. Arc

Smash Rookie
Parry him into Dtilt combos. When he gets wise to that spot-dodge tomahawk attempts and don't fall for double-jump baits.

Using your counter also works against his aerials but don't overdo it or you'll get tomahawked.

You can also dash back and punish landing aerials with Eiha/Eigaon. Heck, you can even use it to intercept him in the air. Also, if he FHs a lot you can use grappling hook and get a decent combo.
Thanks! I'll definitely try to Eiha/Eiagon more. My problem is with the parry as it's a hit or miss since it's online.

Phatty

Smash Cadet
I can see that. Sometimes the poor online latency makes parries difficult. However, I've always found Ike to be one of the easier characters to parry. When he does aerials he almost always does them falling and since they have a ton of startup it's easier to get mentally prepared to parry them. It also works because when you use it effectively it forces Ike to alter his game plan and rely on his other options (which range from pretty good to crappy). You'll see him doing more dance dashing (which can be punished by dashing forward and using eiha) and double jumping to change his aerial timing. Catching him with grappling hook after he uses his double jump is great as well since the opponent doesn't get their double jump back.

Top Bottom