• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any recommendations on viable stage lists for 5-8 players?

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
So I am a part of a game club at my high school, and the majority of the club has gravitated towards Smash Bros as the game of preference because most of us like the competitive community. Prior to Smash Ultimate, we were playing Smash Melee and Project M, and because competitive rule sets have already been established for those two games, we simply used those but as FFAs instead of 1v1s. We did have to swap out every game to let others in which was a problem. Now with Smash Ultimate, we can play eight players and wirelessly connect other player's Switches. Today, we had two consoles hosting local wireless matches with 5-8 players on each, but we quickly ran into a problem today while playing for the first time. At least, the people playing on my console did. Most competitive rule sets are based on 1v1 and 2v2 matches, so the instant a 5th player gets introduced, the stages we all love to play on normally become the ones we all loathe playing on. The size is simply too small, and the game becomes too hectic for any of our liking. Half way through the meet, we changed the rule set to allow us to pick our own stages, but it didn't go as well as we would have hoped because not a whole lot of people knew what they were picking.

I came here to ask for recommendations for a stage list that works for more than four players. I plan to take feedback, create a stage list, apply it to a new rule set, and take it with me to Game Club next Thursday for all of us to use. Ideally, it would be nice to have at least five stages on top of Big Battlefield and Final Destination. I have some requests as to what would qualify as a usable stage.
  • I don't want to use anything too small. Stages like Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, and Smashville are too hectic when there's a lot of players. They're good for 1v1s and smaller FFAs, but nearly unusable for what we're playing. Kalos Pokémon League is as small as I will take.
  • Hazards will be turned off, but that doesn't stop some stages from having them. I don't want any of those stages. To name a few examples...
    • The cars may now be gone, but Port Town Aero Dive can still hurt you as it moves around.
    • Pirate Ship still has that water you can swim in which can unfairly aid recoveries.
    • The Great Cave Offensive didn't get rid of the lava even in the slightest.
  • I don't think the people will care that much for irregular, asymmetrical, and/or randomized layouts, but we aren't animals. Stages like Temple are okay, but please keep stages that scroll and stages with abysmal layouts out of it. You all know which types of stages I'm referring to. Stages with permanent walk offs aren't the worst but are less than preferred.
If it helps to know what the remaining settings are, I can provide them.
Three Stock, 10:00
FS Meter turned Off
Spirits turned Off
Handicap turned Off
Items turned Off
Stage Selection is Randomized
Stage Morph turned Off
Stage Hazards turned Off
Team Attack turned On
Launch Rate is 1.0x
Underdog Boost turned Off

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
  • Big Battlefield, Final Desintation, and Temple as OP mentioned
  • I assume all the N64 stages (with Kirby's and Yoshi's being the exception) are fine?
  • From Melee, Princess Peach's Castle, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Falls, Green Greens, PKMN Stadium 1, and Fourside all might work.
  • From Brawl, Delfino Plaza, Norfair, PKMN Stadium 2, Castle Siege, Summit, Luigi's Mansion, and Spear Pillar are probably all big enough.
  • From Smash 4, I recall Unova Pokemon League, Arena Ferox, Reset Bomb Forest, Tomadachi Life, Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Circuit, Skyloft, Kalos Pokemon League, Coliseum, Garden of Hope, Gaur Plain, Wrecking Crew, Wuhu Island, Windy Hill, and Wily's Castle being potentially suitable for 5-8 players.
  • Gonna throw Mushroom Kingdom 1, Onett, Figure-8 Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, Green Hill Zone, Gerudo Valley, Mario Galaxy, Boxing Ring, Gaur Plain, Suzaku Castle, and Wii Fit Studio in with a caveat depending on how you and your friends feel about their walkoffs.
Hope this helped.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I would mention Paluntena's Temple, New Pork City and the one with Pikmin from Smash 4 as well.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I was hesitant to recommend those two as OP didn't care for Great Cave or 75m.
Well, Great Cave still has those lava spots even without hazards and 75m has a hideous and awkward layout overall.

Palutena's Temple is quite decent as it removes the spikes that plague the stage, it has plenty of space to move on but characters will still live very long which is a negative with stocks as battles will drag out. And New Pork City doesn't have that many roofs to safeguard characters from and the chimera becomes absent, so it might be an option to consider.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Abuse the hell out of Palutena’s Temple for the guidances alone...Pit and crew make the stage anyways

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I really like using Windy Hill Zone, it has multiple platforms, no crazy stage hazards, and is of medium to large size.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Definitely both Hyrule Temple and Hyrule Castle. They are fan favorites.

Palutena's temple is another one.

The Xenoblade level.

Great Cave Offensive is ok (issue is keeping up with your character)

New Pork City is popular.

If you are looking for relaxing, crazy party kind of stage, the Mario Bros 1-1 scrolling stage and PacLand stage are fun. However, if you are competitive, DEFINITELY DON"T CHOOSE THEM.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
  • Big Battlefield, Final Desintation, and Temple as OP mentioned
  • I assume all the N64 stages (with Kirby's and Yoshi's being the exception) are fine?
  • From Melee, Princess Peach's Castle, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Falls, Green Greens, PKMN Stadium 1, and Fourside all might work.
  • From Brawl, Delfino Plaza, Norfair, PKMN Stadium 2, Castle Siege, Summit, Luigi's Mansion, and Spear Pillar are probably all big enough.
  • From Smash 4, I recall Unova Pokemon League, Arena Ferox, Reset Bomb Forest, Tomadachi Life, Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Circuit, Skyloft, Kalos Pokemon League, Coliseum, Garden of Hope, Gaur Plain, Wrecking Crew, Wuhu Island, Windy Hill, and Wily's Castle being potentially suitable for 5-8 players.
  • Gonna throw Mushroom Kingdom 1, Onett, Figure-8 Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, Green Hill Zone, Gerudo Valley, Mario Galaxy, Boxing Ring, Gaur Plain, Suzaku Castle, and Wii Fit Studio in with a caveat depending on how you and your friends feel about their walkoffs.
Hope this helped.
I tried all of the recomendations with AIs and I got some out of that, but a good chunk of them are still too small or have too funky of layouts.

The ones I am considering are Kongo Jungle, Hyrule Castle, Princess Peach's Castle, Kongo Falls, one of the Pokémon Stadiums (but not both), Luigi's Mansion, Spear Pillar, Arena Ferox, Mushroom Kingdom U, Kalos Pokémon League, and Windy Hill Zone. I think I might need different rule sets for 5-6 players and 7-8 players. Some stages were too big for 5-6 and others were too small for 7-8, but there seems to be enough viable stages on this list that a potential stage list can be constructed for both of them. Thanks for the recommendations.
I was hesitant to recommend those two as OP didn't care for Great Cave or 75m.
No, New Pork City will defiantly be apart of it because it's pretty good when hazardless. I'm a tad hesitant on Palutena's Temple, but it might work when there's 7-8 players. I just don't know how every part of the stage will work because the computer players only want to fight in the top left part of the stage.
The Xenoblade level.

Great Cave Offensive is ok (issue is keeping up with your character)

If you are looking for relaxing, crazy party kind of stage, the Mario Bros 1-1 scrolling stage and PacLand stage are fun. However, if you are competitive, DEFINITELY DON"T CHOOSE THEM.
The walk offs are a pretty big issue on all of these, and I already said no to the Great Cave Offensive, but everything else seems fine.

Top Bottom