• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Reason to use down throw vs up throw?

MegaFatcat100

Smash Cadet
I'm new to Rosa and just wondering, since up throw seems to link to up air a lot easier

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Dthrow does more raw damage for whatever that's worth. I think if you have Luma attached to you at the time it's still possible to get some sort of combo going but it's definitely trickier than using uthrow. Maybe character dependent too.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
You may mix-up them, especially if near the ledge to induce your opponent to DI inward and net the Uair, or not DIng, that is more often a true combo.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At low damage, d-throw has better knockback than u-throw, but follow-ups are harder to pull off with d-throw, all because of the better knockback at low damage. Also, despite offering better knockback at low damage, d-throw actually KOs things later than u-throw, so it's less efficient for KOing higher damaged targets.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
U-throw is almost always better.

However, sometimes when people reach ~130% range, U-throw has ridiculous KB, but won't kill for a bit. I can use F-throw or B-throw, but that won't kill and depending on character, I might not even be able to edgeguard. At this point, D-throw becomes a solid option because the animation is quick and they probably won't be expecting it, meaning DI won't be stellar. I could use this to bait airdodges or w/e and get an Uair kill, because D-throws KB is nice at this percent.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Against heavier characters (and sometimes lighter ones who DI poorly) at lower percents, D-throw to U-air and D-Throw to F-air are a true combo and since it does more damage than U-Throw, it's the better option.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Up throw: up-tile or up-air and begin juggles for fast fallers like Fox and Sheik at low percents and well, Down throw depends like for lighter characters or mid weights.
I mostly use up-throw because its better. Down throw mostly for baiting air dodges and di dependent.

Ninja Asashin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ninja Asashin
I use both throws with Rosalina. D-throw in my opinion is good to a point, like D-throw to F-air at low percents by reading DI. U-throw is better because it leads in to more things then D-throw.

Royug

Smash Cadet
I feel like D-throw can be useful at high percentage. It sends the opponent upward, but with less knockback than U-throw, which means at about 100% and higher, you can directly follow it by an U-air, where an U-throw would send the opponent too far in the air, meaning you have to wait for him to fall a little bit, giving him the time to dodge.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Also at the edge of the stage, Dthrow into Fair can work (infact, this works at relatively low percentages regardless, good as a mixup). Especially if you can dash grab somebody right at the ledge and Dthrow them, they will take less knockback than normal. It can be useful for setting up for edgeguards on characters with poor recoveries, such as Ganon, Doc, Mac etc. But in general, Uthrow is the better throw for combos.

Also, I am pretty sure I saw Dabuz do Dthrow into an Up Smash somewhere... is that a thing?

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Do you mean the "grab release (air) > Usmash"?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
At G3 I believe i saw some very read-heavy play from Dabuz involving Fthrow and Dthrow by the ledge, at higher percentages (I guess like around 120 or so)

If the opponent DI's expecting an fthrow, but you really use Dthrow, then it's like how a Uthrow would work at other, lower percentages. You can make a read & get a kill off of it.

Example:
https://youtu.be/meHzY064tCI?t=632

<3 Dabuz

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I use up throw then follow it up with up tilt (or up smash) and then juggle them with up airs.
I do use down throw occasionally.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Dthrow is for mixups & setups. You can dthrow -> double upair Fastfallers at 0% & it does 37%. U can mix up the DI by the ledge because they might DI in expecting a fthrow but it leads them perfectly to DI & get an upair.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It's possible to get confirmed F-air/B-air off of one in some situations, and it's sometimes better for getting U-airs in.

Also I did this yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASjn0BmujMo

It's probably mostly a rage thing but it's still worth keeping in mind.

Meta Knight "destroys" Rosalina, my ***.

Last edited:
Top Bottom