• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

any pointers on YL vs Link match up?

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
a little background on myself. ive been a marth main for a few years but before that i was a YL main. as of lately ive been messing with other characters and decided to take a break from marth for awhile. a bunch of my friends started a challenge bracket and the kid infront of me is a link main. i can beat him with my marth but it is back and forth all the time. a few people in the bracket main marth so he has a lot of experience in the match up. i wanted to throw something at him that he wouldnt really expect because none of my friends except me have ever even messed with this character. ive used YL a lot in the past and i am already fluent with the movement.

basically i want to know if anyone has experience in the link match up. my friend loves to spam projectiles and up B out of shield. im fine with the projectile because i can catch bombs. (hes predictable with them. boomerang then bomb right after). what maps would you suggest? should i try to be more patient or aggressive? any info about the link match up is appreciated

thanks in advance

Diabolical PIe

Smash Apprentice
Young Link's biggest advantage over Link is his mobility, so maps that emphasize that are going to be in your favor. Dreamland would be my first counterpick, with all the space for wavelands, dash-dancing, and projectile spamming. Young Link, in my opinion, works much better as a hit confirm/zoning character. You want to patiently whittle at him with your projectiles, keeping your space and never stopping movement. Short hop or fall from platforms any time you pull/throw a bomb, throw a boomerang, or shoot an arrow. Abuse your superior mobility and lock-down capabilities to make the opponent frustrated, then, when they get impatient, punish them for coming into your space. You can play Young Link aggressively too, but I would refrain from doing this unless you have a spacing or frame advantage. Hot and cold, in and out; never get too relaxed with your camping game to forget to go in once you get the advantage, and never overexert yourself when you go in.

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
Definitely try to bait out an up-b (or maybe a grab) OoS and then punish with Dsmash, nair or dair.
Shield drop Uair and Uair juggles are amazing (as usual) and like Diabolical PIe said, DL64 is good. Probably ban FD or perhaps yoshis

warning: I have little experience against link and I'm just brainstorming some ideas :p

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
You can easily camp/hit-confirm Link, and you can juggle him with uairs pretty easily (but beware of his dair).

He can do anything you do to him as well, but Young Link is significantly better at it than Link, and things that work on both work on Link for significantly longer due to his weight.

Top Bottom