• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any point to playing him?

MaverickF

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2129-3335-5904
Disclaimer: I absolutely love Wind Waker and the DS entries and NO I don't just play characters based on their "ranking".

I know all the heroes of hyrule have always had extremely similar movesets on purpose, but TLink just feels like a bad version of young link. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. Here are some of my opinions why YLink just is the better "clone":

-Flame arrows are amazing, dealing easy damage and fly quickly even uncharged
-Dair is reliable and isn't a suicide move. Much more realistic in competitive matches and can hit twice.
-Up smash is multi hit, racking in more damage for the little guy.
-He is so much faster, especially with his tilts. He runs around the stage like Sanic.
-Side smash continues through with another hit. TLink got nerfed in that regard.
-Less floaty
-Faster jab, with multi hit that TLink lacks
-Nair. So good and combo option.
-Etc

Notably, TLink has more range and has an easier time killing with his master sword, compared to YLink's short pool noodle Hero Sword. I just think YLink's quick pace, extreme combo potential, and overall improved kit make him more viable.

Thoughts?

I haven't gotten my hands on the game yet, so a lot of this will be from my smash 4 experience along with theory and videos I've watched (none in particular, I've just been watching a lot).

Technically, Toon Link is the faster one, movement-wise. He just loses more momentum with his moves, so he's more of a stop-and-go kind of fighter. And on the topic of being floaty, it can make landing harder, but it can also make certain combos against you untrue, so it's a double-edged sword. I don't know about viability, but I think the two will have somewhat different game plans and which feels better will come down to preference more than anything.

Toon Link was never a fighter that wanted to get into a close-ranged scuffle without being in advantage. Young Link is definitely the better one at close-ranged neutral, so if you foresee that happening to you a lot, I could understand if you want to stay with him. Where Toon Link really shines is mid-ranged zoning, converting projectile hits into small close-ranged combos before backing off or throwing more projectiles to push his advantage. From what I can tell from videos, his slower arrows could potentially help in limiting options. If your goal is to keep your opponent on the ground so you can go for, say, a grab, then a longer lasting hitbox above their head will keep them there longer. If you want to follow up with something other than the same move, then you also have more time to follow behind the arrow and throw out a boomerang or bomb or aerial. The weird thing is that in a lot of situations you might not care that much if Toon Link's projectiles all connect. If they put the other player in a bad position, your arrows did their job and you can get some good damage or even just positioning from other parts of your kit.

You also get somewhat better mindgames out of Toon Link's bombs, just because they last longer before they explode. You can afford to do crazier stuff with them or have more attempts to use them effectively without pulling a new one.

Hopefully something in that ramble was helpful.

MaverickF

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2129-3335-5904
First off let me say thank you for being so thorough and also kind in your explanation. I really appreciate that, instead of just being yelled at for being wrong.
The explanation of the differing playstyles makes a lot more sense. I was thinking rather narrow mindedly in my logic of what makes a "better Link". It's like saying Dr. Mario is bad because he's not Mario. Anyone who played the two in SSB4 or even in SSBU knows that they play nothing like each other. Each one has their own strengths and weaknesses and different methods of approach.
Those are some great tips on TLink in the third paragraph. I love the idea of using the projectiles to influence the opponent, even if they don't connect like you said. I will get back in the lab with the hero of winds and not full hop to conclusions next time.
Thanks again and I hope you enjoy Ultimate when you get it!
Cheers, mate.

jrwinterton

Smash Rookie
I'm by no means a pro so my input here should be taken with a shake of salt, but I play toon link because i just prefer the feel. But from my experience, and to address some of your comments

Flame arrows are amazing, dealing easy damage and fly quickly even uncharged
Yeah but I feel like Toon Link's go way further. need to test....

-Dair is reliable and isn't a suicide move. Much more realistic in competitive matches and can hit twice.
But it doesn't spike right? Toon Link's is only suicidal if you spam it, but it can be really effective when timed well. I don't like the floatiness of Young Link's Dair at all.
-Up smash is multi hit, racking in more damage for the little guy.
yeah it's just better i think but Toon Link's is still strong.
-He is so much faster, especially with his tilts. He runs around the stage like Sanic
Toon Link feels faster to me but maybe I'm crazy.
-Side smash continues through with another hit. TLink got nerfed in that regard.
At first i bitterly missed that second hit because i used to use it to kill a lot in smash 4, but now I've spent some time with his new side smash, i like that it ends quickly as you can move straight into a neutral or side air, which usually connects. It feels like a less powerful but more versatile side smash to me.
-Less floaty
That floatyness makes it easier to land air combos. Still need time with young link to determine if i like it or not.
-Faster jab, with multi hit that TLink lacks
It's better, but it often gets blocked.
-Nair. So good and combo option.
Again, maybe i'm crazy but Toon Link's Nair feels more awesome to me
-Etc

On top of these i find his bombs more reliable and easier to time because they last longer. I think his boomarang is just better, and doesn't get knocked out of the sky so easily. His back through is still badass. Time will tell, but I think he still has some good tricks up his sleeve.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
-He is so much faster, especially with his tilts. He runs around the stage like Sanic.
This isn't true, Toon Link has the faster run speed, also according to data, despite Toon Link being floatier, Young Link is actually lighter than Toon Link and can be send flying by opponents easier.

Overall, the two characters serve different niche's despite both being based off the primary Link. I heard that one is better at aerial combat whereas the other is better at grounded combat so you can't really play the two Link's the same way and expect the same results. Pretty much how it was when comparing Link and Toon Link with each other in the past.

I personally prefer Toon Link over Young Link as his projectiles go much further and last longer, plus his floaty but speedier nature suits my personal playstyle by being able to zip around and slow down at a moment's pace.

Personally I feel like they're both good in their own way and each have their own pros and cons. But to each their own. If he suits your playstyle then more power to you.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
Premium
BRoomer
FWIW, Mew2King ranks them Link > Toon Link > Young Link.

UPDATE -- ZeRo feels it's between Link and Young Link as the best of the three. Interesting opinion variation here. :)

Last edited:

ToonLink_xX

Smash Rookie
FWIW, Mew2King ranks them Link > Toon Link > Young Link.

UPDATE -- ZeRo feels it's between Link and Young Link as the best of the three. Interesting opinion variation here. :)
I watched most of zeros stream and that young link was absolutely devastating. So many follow ups and grounded upb to uair seems so silly. Its going to be quite hard to top yink i think.

Top Bottom