• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any passions or pursuits?

Link to original post: [drupal=5502]Any passions or pursuits?[/drupal]

Okay, go through life with the sole expectation and ingrained idea that you want do well with an education. Attend some sort of college or post-public education to get skills to be able to do a job you enjoy and make a solid living out of it. Well, now its the 3rd year into a university out of 4 and I realized I have still have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life. I find myself thinking of things like how cool might it be to be able to actually accomplish some realistic artwork. Or what if I could come up with my own game through some high programming or scripting language. In the end, I find myself never pursuing any of those ideas.

Each year I think maybe I'll find something new and finally have some direction in life. The whole while I stick to playing my strengths. Even in that, I do not find myself having some sort of huge passion for it. Again, its the 3rd year out of four and I have been playing to my strengths for so long I still cannot decide where I want to go and time is really run out to be able to explore freely. After this, its difficult or maybe impossible to find something and actually accomplish a goal. So many people are graduating and not being able to find something with their degree and thus are stuck with loans and debt. If they really wanted to pursue something else it would cost more money and more debt without a guarantee it would lead anywhere.

So, does anyone think they have a life long passion for anything? From my previous oration it would be a pursuit to find a passion lol

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I'm really lucky that my passion hit me (relatively) early. Music's mine for sure. I'd always loved music, but I'd never really paid attention to just how... illustrative and evocative it is for me. One day, I was listening to a particular set of songs from Tales of the Abyss, La Pucelle Tactics and FFVII, and it hit me: all the years I'd valiantly struggled to express myself through literary means or otherwise were wasted--music was the way to go. Happened around 3 years ago.

Ever since then, the passion grew into a developed obsession. I don't think I can sleep at night if I don't feel I've taken a step towards improving my musicality that day. It's not uncommon for me to spend 9+ hours on my free days, with minor punctuation, studying songs and trying to improve my repertoire. My aim's to compose for video games, and because getting ANYWHERE in the VG industry is tough, I know I have to be sharp on all edges if I'm going to seriously pursue it.

The great thing about it though, above all else, is waking up every day with something to do/a goal. It truly helps. Though, there's a converse side to things as well when it comes to passion: the fear of failure. I fear every day of my life that I won't be good enough to be a composer, and while I love music and the feeling it brings me, the concern for my aptitude and capability is extraordinarily stressful at times and requires a tremendous amount of mental poise and steadfastness to work past.

So, I wouldn't say those who're without a passion are entirely unfortunate. If I were to project myself onto others, I'd assume that with passion comes Herculean gravity to pursue that passion, which is, as I said before, cumbersome. I find it difficult to focus on anything BUT music.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I used to have a passion for drawing and sketching. I had spent years practicing and perfecting my style (manga style, to be exact) for quite a few years from high school to around 2006. Somehow, for some reason, my passion came to a sudden halt.

I don't really know why, whether it was the fact that I feared I'd get nowhere with it or not, and it's pretty tragic to think that all of the many story ideas I have in my mind to this day will not see the light of day, simply because I lack passion. Maybe it's also the lack of motivation, or maybe it's money issues, or perhaps lack of proper tools needed to even get started on a manga; I wanted to start out small via a web comic and work my way up from there.

Now, I found myself more focused on my own transition than on anything else, which frankly isn't a problem for me. I would like to believe that my will, love, and passion for drawing will return sometime during or after my transition is done. Truth be told, I really want to express my ideas, not even for money or fame, more than to just get the ideas out there in general.

:phone:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm in the same boat (the passionless boat). I mean, I kindasorta have the passion of "writing", but it doesn't so much involve writing as it does spending years banging my head against a creative wall (in other words, haven't written a single sentence with the intention of starting a story in over two years). In ways this makes me go, "Well, writing is clearly not my interest or passion in life if I struggle so pathetically at it to the point where I do not know if I'm even too formidable at it right now." Indeed, whether I can, at this point in time, describe scenarios well, tell interesting tales, or create three dimensional provocative characters is absolutely beyond my knowledge. I cannot measure my writing vessel. Cannot even "pretend" write to see how it goes, it's all or nothing with me on it, which further discourages me from thinking it is a "passion". The only thing indicative of it being such a thing is my obsession with doing it (perhaps a desire to find something to latch onto) and also, back when I did write, it was all the time. I could spend an entire day writing either mulling over what has been written or literally just typing away. I long for the ability to do that again and hope that, through using that willpower, I can actually obtain any worthwhile skill. Similar to how Verm discusses how he must practice his musical talent, somewhat similarly, I absolutely must imagine in my mind or spend minutes to hours bashing my head against that creative wall, and I do it although knowing that it will probably be for naught like the other times.

Passion or not, I feel quite directionless and lacking in a goal. My college pursuit, philosophy, although interesting to me and dear to me as a person, as a discipline it doesn't terribly interest me to the point that I could see myself teaching it, also I feel I lack the personality for that (these perceptions could be tentative, who knows). You can't do much of anything with it directly outside of that except potentially writing for something or other, which is impossible for me to think about now considering I'm incredibly early in my classes to even pretend I know much about it as a discipline. All that being said, it would be nice to achieve that direction. My life isn't exactly suffering from dread without it, though honestly it probably would be best if it did, because without that my motivation to acquire that is rather lacking. In the future I may end up without anything developed to sustain myself, which really should be a pressing concern for me, but it isn't. My only chances are for my writing to spontaneously start coming to me naturally again and/or for me to ascertain philosophy as a discipline better than I anticipate.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Don't worry if you haven't found your passion or "life's calling" yet. Its kind of absurd that we expect people to have their life's trajectory set by their early 20's, when there's still so much they haven't experienced yet. Granted, it helps if you've had a moment of clarity like Vermanubis, but it's not the end of the world if you haven't.

For me, I'd always only wanted to do two things in my life. First, I wanted to be an engineer, because I thought engineers drove starships like in Star Trek. When I got older and found that wasn't true (and failed my first algebra class), engineering was out, and I decided I wanted to be a teacher. I'm a strong believer in education's power to enrich individuals and society, and I also wanted to contribute to my community.

Then I spent some time teaching, and tutoring at local elementary schools. I also entered the college I currently attend, where I took several classes that opened me up to new perspectives, and I saw firsthand how enormous sums of money tip the scales. All of those experiences (which came after I would have graduated from college had I done everything on time, by the way) have convinced me that the way we approach education reform is fundamentally wrong, and that the best teacher in the world can't educate children who are cold, sick, hungry or abused.

Now I want to work in public policy, with the ultimate goal of having my own policy institute/thinktank to make public policy. I think that it's impossible to improve schools without improving communities, and that includes access to jobs, housing, food, etc. and those are all in the realm of public policy. Am I passionate about writing papers and doing research? Not exactly, but I'm good at those things, and I am passionate about the potential end result: public policy that might positively impact people's lives someday. This is a goal tat I was literally unable to articulate at 22, and required essentially everything I've done in the meantime to arrive at. So don't sweat it if you don't have everything figured out now.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
My passion is art, for sure. I've always been doing artwork of some sort - sketching, painting, etc. I knew I always wanted to work in a creative industry in some way, whether it be graphic design or freelancing as a fine artist or even being an art teacher.

But, half way through high school, I decided I wanted to work in the games industry doing something artistic. I am now currently in my 6th (out of 12) quarter at the art institute of Pittsburgh majoring in game art/design, specializing in concept art/2D/illustration and maybe character modeling (mostly hi poly. I'm awful at conventional retopologizing. I'm better at cheating the system in Zbrush with decimation master.....)
But, despite worrying, I'm happy I've been able to follow my passion
I've put a LOT of time an effort into my work. If I wasn't drawing or working in art, i honestly couldnt see myself doing anything else.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm still in school and thus my life's passion isn't a problem for me. My interests vary a LOT. I LOVE animals on one side of the spectrum... and on the complete opposite, I want to further the video game industry, prove to the world that video games are their own form of art and media and should be recognized as such, etc etc.

I'd like to pursue both but I may not be able to. My mother believes that my passion for video-games is just a phase (she may be right or she may be wrong, I don't think I can judge at this point) and, I am certain, would want me to try veterinary studies. That said, she is supportive of me and I know if I was to try video-game design, she wouldn't hold a grudge.

Often it's about wanting to make a difference in something, and I especially noted that in Jam's post (as even as a student, I can see the current education system is incredibly flawed: A student should NEVER have to break down and cry because they are suffering from a huge amount of pressure at school - and I have done this on many occasions. There are other things as well but I won't get in to that now). We want to get our ideas out in to the world and i know for certain that's a case with me: I have two ideas (and a very foggy third one) i'd want to develop, if I was a game designer.

What I want to say more or less echoes Jam's statement: It's really not a worry if you haven't found your passion yet. The remarkable thing about our world today and many of it's countries is that there is always a way to get in to what you want. Just relax, take your time and do what you enjoy until you find that you want to stick to something, then go for it. That's my advice, anyway. ^_^

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I would LOVE to be a psychologist or counselor for teens and young adults, but that would require me to attend 6 years of college, and the thing holding me back is the fact that there's no guarantee I'll be able to find a job afterwards. Other than that, there's not much else I'd like to do that I would love. I was thinking of maybe being a Nurse as that only requires 2-4 years, or a dental hygenist (person that cleans your teeth) as my friend graduated college after two years and makes $35 an hour as the starting point for that job. (You can only go up from there, atm she's making $38.50, which is pretty good for her age especially)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Finding what I've wanted to do in life is pretty much the story of my life.

I remember being asked at the age of seven what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was the only one that didn't have an inkling of an idea what I wanted to do in life. The big problem I had was that just about everything tossed at me sounded so boring. My dad said that since I was so good in math and science, that I should be an engineer, but every time he described it, it sounded so boring or I still didn't understand it.

Right now, I'm majoring in computer science and I am one semester from graduation. The problem? I absolutely hate the major. I originally wanted to go in for game design, but we rarely learned anything practical and just a bunch of theory. I think when I started this, I still didn't know what I really wanted because I was still seeing just the traditional type of jobs that my parents would do. However, after freaking out over the major and having a very bad class, I can't look at code any more for very long without being confused or just panicking in confusion.

After some therapy and ****, I decided that I look at my interests more, not what I'm so-called good at. I always loved music, acting, animation, drawing, etc. Due to fear of being ridiculed for being different (like through most of my life), I was always afraid to pursue them. I also didn't know how to start out in them so they went mostly undeveloped for years. However, after learning who I really am, who I want to be, I have decided to try pursuing these again. I have so many crazy ideas in my head and I want to express myself in outrageous ways. It'll be tough to get where I want. Lot's of work involved, but if I love what I do, it's no big deal.

Y

Yodery

My name's Victoria, I'm 15 years old, and I don't care what my mama says, I'm gonna have a baby. I will do whatever it takes to take care of my baby. If it comes down to prostituting my body, then so be it. I'm gonna dress my baby in all brand names, and if I can't afford it, then I guess I'm gonna still it. My mama thinks that I'm not ready to have a baby, but I have everything my baby will need. If my baby gets cold, and it needs a blanket, it's alright, 'cause I have it. And if my baby needs clothes, it's cool, 'cause I have tons of them, and if my baby loses her pacifier, I have three more.

I'm not just having sex with one, not two, but three different guys. That's right! I'm a player, but that's cool, 'cause I got it like that. My life dreams are to drop out of school, to be on "Girls Gone Wild", and to have my baby.

And there's nothing my stupid mother can say to change my mind.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
For me, it's music. It kinda changes for me occasionally. I started out playing Piano and Handbells in middle school. Piano was fun, and I liked it a lot, but we were just learning to read sheet music and we weren't being taught theory. So yeah, I could get sheet music to some pretty difficult songs and spend a month or more and learn 1 hard song like that... but that got boring because there was so much work for so little reward. Yeah, I'd have 1 new song I'd be able to play after months and months, but that was pretty much all that would happen.

Handbells, on the other hand, I enjoyed a lot. The difference was that it was a group thing. There was a whole class of us playing the music together, and we all had different parts (well, some of the parts were doubled up because we had more people than we needed) and we constantly got to learn new music. We weren't just sitting around playing the same song over and over. We also got to the point where we got to go to Houston City Counsel and play on live TV, which was an amazing feeling.

Of course, handbells are VERY expensive (about $500 just for one of the medium size bells. ONE bell. Keep in mind there are 14 notes in an octave, and we had 5 octaves of handbells. No way that's getting reproduced easily). So I found something new for me that I love, which is bass guitar. Yeah, I can still play piano and stuff, but after playing for years and years without having learned the music theory part, I didn't have the drive to sit down and learn the basics when I already knew other stuff about it, so I figured it would be best to start fresh with a new instrument. And now I'm finally at the point where I can literally just sit down with my bass, listen to a song from one of my favorite bands, and say "I feel like learning to play that" and learn to play the song all the way through in 1-2 days. It's an AMAZING feeling to finally be at that point after 3 years.

So my current pursuit is to join a band eventually. I've played music along with my uncles (I play bass, one of them plays drums, and the other plays guitar) and that's been fun. Only problem is it isn't exactly my style of music. What I want is to eventually join some type of metal band (without excessive screaming and growling. My ears can't handle it, plus I prefer normal singing). Of course, that might be hard to do at this point in my life, but once I get things taken care of, I should be able to join one... hopefully. That style of music isn't very popular where I live, and most people here think of screaming metal when they think of metal.

If all else fails, I'll go ahead and start learning to play guitar next, and just work on composing my own music again. I've done it before, and I can go back to doing that again.

:059:

My dad said that since I was so good in math and science, that I should be an engineer, but every time he described it, it sounded so boring or I still didn't understand it.

Right now, I'm majoring in computer science and I am one semester from graduation. The problem? I absolutely hate the major.

After some therapy and ****, I decided that I look at my interests more, not what I'm so-called good at. I always loved music, acting, animation, drawing, etc. Due to fear of being ridiculed for being different (like through most of my life), I was always afraid to pursue them. I also didn't know how to start out in them so they went mostly undeveloped for years. However, after learning who I really am, who I want to be, I have decided to try pursuing these again. I have so many crazy ideas in my head and I want to express myself in outrageous ways. It'll be tough to get where I want. Lot's of work involved, but if I love what I do, it's no big deal.
Its weird. The stuff we find easy is often times what we see pursuing. But eventually it seems to get to a point where its boring. Even then, the harder stuff scares you away and you do not want to do it even though you still sort of like it. Its probably the stuff we find difficult that will be the most rewarding in life.

At the end of life, its never the end result, its always the journey through a goal that is the most enduring and most fun.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
My name's Victoria, I'm 15 years old, and I don't care what my mama says, I'm gonna have a baby. I will do whatever it takes to take care of my baby. If it comes down to prostituting my body, then so be it. I'm gonna dress my baby in all brand names, and if I can't afford it, then I guess I'm gonna still it. My mama thinks that I'm not ready to have a baby, but I have everything my baby will need. If my baby gets cold, and it needs a blanket, it's alright, 'cause I have it. And if my baby needs clothes, it's cool, 'cause I have tons of them, and if my baby loses her pacifier, I have three more.

I'm not just having sex with one, not two, but three different guys. That's right! I'm a player, but that's cool, 'cause I got it like that. My life dreams are to drop out of school, to be on "Girls Gone Wild", and to have my baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBMiYJ7kzbI

Btw, I think you posted that before Yodery, lol.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
At the end of life, its never the end result, its always the journey through a goal that is the most enduring and most fun.
I totally agree. I think life is about the ups and downs and enjoy the ride as much as possible. I get the most out of a good situation and i'm happy for it. ^_^

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Its weird. The stuff we find easy is often times what we see pursuing. But eventually it seems to get to a point where its boring. Even then, the harder stuff scares you away and you do not want to do it even though you still sort of like it. Its probably the stuff we find difficult that will be the most rewarding in life.

It was not just that I started to find it boring. Generally in school, I was good in just about every subject, but I didn't enjoy much of my classes outside of Spanish and even that would get boring when things got too easy.

But yes, I actually enjoy when I work for my goals. It's kind of like how I like a challenge when I pick fighting game characters. The basic ones don't interest me so much because I feel that element of exploring is reduced.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami

Lik dis if your a strong proud independant black woman too!

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Jam, he's quoting a meme : o

Well actually two memes with the 'lik dis if u ______'

Note to self: cannot image on phone :I

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I know it's a meme, but he could have filled in the blank with anything, and he chose "strong proud independent black woman," and I'm asking why.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
I know it's a meme, but he could have filled in the blank with anything, and he chose "strong proud independent black woman," and I'm asking why.
Because I've seen "strong proud independent black woman" and AFAIK, there's no strong proud independent white woman meme.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Because I've seen "strong proud independent black woman" and AFAIK, there's no strong proud independent white woman meme.
Okay. I jumped the gun on that one, my apologies.

This does bring me to the other thing I'm interested in, which is representations of minorities, specifically black and Hispanic people, in media. I think the Duggars are insane, but at least they get to be insane on national television in a family structure. Black people? This is what we get:

http://now.msn.com/all-my-babies-mamas-new-reality-show-coming-to-oxygen

I blogged about this topic before, and I still think it's imperative that minorities create their own narratives to show that we're not all thugs, criminals or scumbags (or whatever stereotype applies to your minority group). I like to write, so maybe I can do something to be helpful there.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
If anyone cares I'm black 18/college freshman cuz none of you know me on these boards (yet)
I think I am a pretty intresting person (;) I know).

The things I find most important and or most enjoyable are
  • human interaction/competition
  • fashion
  • music
  • education

When I say meaningful human interaction, it falls into one of three categories. The first being family, the second being comradery with other males and the second being meaningful relationships with a female (one at a time). Having a nice family can be such an awesome support system and I don't need to expand on that. I also enjoy BS'ing with my best friends as much as I like to breathe. I'm sure most/all of you can relate to that. But I don' t think there is anything better on earth than being in love. Having interdependence, someone to talk to, someone to make you nervous, someone to make you jealous and an active sex life is currently the best thing I've ever had happen to me. I don't have all that currently but yeah I can't name anything I like better than a woman I get along with. :]
Competition is also cool so smash helps with that.

I'm also huge on fashion. Huge on it. Specifically footwear and athletic wear. I guess this is gonna tie into education because I am currently an Industrial Systems Engineering (in the making). I switched from my Material Science engineering major to ISE because the Chemistry class at my university is absolutely ridiculous lol. But the point is I want to be in the shoe industry, ideally I'd like to have a product innovation job (which is an engineering job) with Nike in the shoe industry. In a perfect world I would be a fashion designer but that is not the best career prospect for me realistically. Especially since I can handle the engineering workload. So I reasoned I could still be in a fashion industry while still being high educated and applicable with Industrial Systems Engineering. I would love to design the next air max, (the air cushing product in a lot of Nikes) or zoom air, or a new traction pattern/surface, a new ventilation concept, a new material, or a new foam/sole. That would be fun as hell and a dream job.

Also I am a huge music fan. I am a massive hip-hop fan. I also like some rock, metal, indie pop, and just a tad of punk. Really any music with emotion, originality, and high fidelity will sit well with me. I have thought about a career in music but I really do not want to jeopardize myself by doing that lol. :urg:. Artists I love (if anyone cares)
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • MGMT
  • System Of A Down
  • Death Grips
  • Kid Cudi (usually, his new music is SUSPECT)
  • Childish Gambino
  • Eminem (recovery sucked as we all know)
  • Danny Brown (a definite favourite)
  • Odd Future/Earl most notably
  • Frank Ocean
  • Mumford & Sons

The only skill I really wish to ascertain would be the ability to dance better. But really, I just pursue the zest in life. That 's what makes me one who pursues. I love it. But I am also fairly melodramatic and sarcastic deep down. I have an addictive personality, especially for anything that involves complexity and passion.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Mumford and Sons! And Buckeyes! <3

But you're a good example of a person who is actively pursuing their dream and is happy about it too. Lots of respect. :)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
THAT.

How?
Those kids in high school that when you ask them what they're doing when they graduate and they tell you everything up until they retire, what in the hell? And then they ask someone like OP, or myself, or the other people in this blog, and we're like "general education in college I guess."

You're of 'em extra-verts or whatever they call 'em these days, ain't ya? :c

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Was that a joke?

Or are you just saying that they're the only things that matter for you specifically?
jesus christ this again

IN MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION, the only things that matter are survival and art. everything else is worthless and devoid of "meaning", TO ME. and no it's not a joke.

one could even say that survival and art are my "passions" as asked by the thread OP. where do other people, or anyone's judgment but my own come into this?

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
THAT.

How?
Those kids in high school that when you ask them what they're doing when they graduate and they tell you everything up until they retire, what in the hell? And then they ask someone like OP, or myself, or the other people in this blog, and we're like "general education in college I guess."

You're of 'em extra-verts or whatever they call 'em these days, ain't ya? :c
Lol well I'm not in high school ;) and I think I'm pretty introverted actually. Actually I know I am lol.

I only have a decent idea as to what I would actually do. I know i'm going to grad school and I know that an engineering degree with a decent GPA will be very competitive. In all seriousness I am just fortunate enough to be able to deal with amount of work.

I think anyone can plan a future for them self if they can sit down and think of a job they want. Next step is to look at the kind of experience or education you would need to maximize your chances. :). It really just takes a couple hours of thinking.

Mumford and Sons! And Buckeyes! <3

But you're a good example of a person who is actively pursuing their dream and is happy about it too. Lots of respect. :)
Thanks a lot for that!
You happen to go to OSU? :]

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
In fact, he loves them so much, one of the drinks in the game automatically makes you say 'Go Buckeyes!' (it's Buckeye beer see).

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Damn, this Tactician dude is the best new poster I've ever seen.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
jesus christ this again

IN MY SUBJECTIVE OPINION, the only things that matter are survival and art. everything else is worthless and devoid of "meaning", TO ME. and no it's not a joke.

one could even say that survival and art are my "passions" as asked by the thread OP. where do other people, or anyone's judgment but my own come into this?
I covered that when I asked if you just meant your personal preferences.

I had to ask, because as you would know there are plenty of pretentious individuals who do in fact think that art is objectively the highest good.

Top Bottom