• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any other Ryu players out there disappointed? First thoughts?

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Hello to whoever reads this (which is a little ironic since not too many play Ryu or Ken).

I’ve been in the training room for quite a while to try to understand how Ryu plays in this game, and I can say with all honestly that I’m heavily disappointed.
I mained Ryu back in sm4sh and I can tell everyone that Sakurai definitely nerfed him. His n-air has a longer duration now which results in him no longer having much of a presence in the air. You can no longer n-air chain, n-air to d-air, drag down u-air, and more. I definitely bet that over the course of some time, the auto turn machanic will be appreciated more, but as of now, I honestly find it to limit his gameplay. For example, you cannot do a falling f-air to b-air because of it, nor do a falling b-air to reverse shoryu (which was an amazing kill confirm in sm4sh since most would drop their shield to grab). The greatest thing though now limiting Ryu I would say though is that his tilt stick doesn’t work anymore. So because of that, it is much more difficult to confirm into a shoryu kill. You either have to read the opponent in that they don’t shield, or land a focus.

I have a lot of testing left to do, so if I am wrong on a piece of information, let me know.

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
I just unlocked Ryu an hour ago and have been going crazy in training mode after I suddenly realized so many of my old combos and set ups didn't work anymore.
First disapointment is that the True Shuryken seems to be nerfed in killing power a bit.
The old jab to Shoryuken combo (since that extra couple percent often did make the difference) doesn't seem to work anymore; On the other hand it is possible to do two jabs into a Shoryuken now, but the timing is much harder (or I'm just taking forever to get used to it! lol).
I also noticed that if you're directly in front of an opponent and do a strong jab, he instead does a strong up jab.
Between the new system and the way Ryu seems to work quite differently, it feels like Ryu is going to require learning all over again... Oh well, maybe he'll be even better in the end. Time will tell.

Jackario1

Smash Rookie
I discovered that if you do a slight side tilt attack right next to an opponent, Ryu and Ken do a new attack that leads well into their input commands attacks.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Ryu lost a lot of smash style jank and gained a lot of SF style movement, pressure and nuetral.

If random nairs into conversions were your thing, than Ryu is not for you.

He is no longer that character.

Swordmaster102

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordmaster102
Ryu lost a lot of smash style jank and gained a lot of SF style movement, pressure and nuetral.

If random nairs into conversions were your thing, than Ryu is not for you.

He is no longer that character.
Yeah Emblem Lord, if you want to put it that way of him being more like himself from SF, then they did do a good job with him in 5mash. Hopefully the growth of the game will prove me wrong, but because of that though, he really doesn’t work well. In a game where air presence is a big thing and people are jumping around throwing out huge hitboxes, he cannot really handle it. I play SF as well, and I do think it’s definitely cool that they did make him more like himself, but because of that I really don’t see him being that competitive. He lost footstool combos, confirms, etc.

Last edited:

SameOldG

Smash Rookie
I for one am not dissapointed, not yet at least. I've had Ryu for a couple hours and some things are exactly what my playstyle was calling for.... almost like the game development team was inside my head from smash 4. I understand though why you would be disappointed in the n-air strings and some kill confirms but my current style does not rely on that. I'm in to more traps and spacing using more slow fireballs and f-smashes than the other Ryus I have seen and always facing makes this easier/faster. He does appear to be edge guarded more easily than smash 4 but I guess this goes for everyone and goes both ways. The close up combos I do use from smash 4 seem to work. Perfect that they changed the light ftilt to that slap/elbow/punch because I missed this so many times in smash 4 depending on how close I was to the opponent and it serms to come out faster than that ftilt kick. The whole jump+attack as short hop attack makes reverse short hop bairs easy for me as a 30+ year old in smash lol. The thing I think we will see interesting things from in smash ultimate is cancelling aerials to specials. Think short hop fair into specials or even nair into hadoken or bair into something. Dair into shoryu is pretty satisfying..... edit dair cancelled into focus level 1 into popup dair spike is satisfying and what I call a fall back fsmash is nice too and way easier if you are always facing ... dash back plus side stick smash

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I loved Ryu in Smash 4, easily my favorite of the DLC. But I'm not a fan of some of his changes.

- Close normals shouldn't have been added. It can be difficult enough getting light/heavy attacks now this is another element I have to get used to.
- the always facing his opponent gimmick is making me fail inputs even more. Whenever I try to run forward and do a EX hurricane kick, Ryu ends up turning around and doing a hurricane kick the other way. (I don't have this problem if there are more that 2 players)

These are probably just things I have to adjust to or maybe switch controllers.

MordecaiSoup

Smash Rookie
As a total scrublord who tried to play Ryu in sm4sh but failed. And as someone who regularly watches SFIV Ryu play, I find his current iteration satisfying and true to form. He is easier to use with the auto turn mechanic and his play style is unique from any other smash character. If you try to play him like the traditional spastic spamming shff mindless meta of the smash scene you'll be sorely disappointed. However, when the fundamentals are made top priority he works pretty well. His kit is nearly complete in most matchups to deal with the majority of enemies.
Stop jumping so much, use hadouken to zone and mind game the heck out of them for the win.
Just my thoughts as resident newb.

Top Bottom