• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any other pikachu mains getting hate?

MetallicMacko

Smash Rookie
I've been a pikachu main since brawl, and of course even before ultimate released I wanted to play pikachu, then I started hearing that pikachu was already looking "OP" I was kinda excited for that, but a little worried because that would mean my victories might mean less.

After countless times of me getting my ass kicked online, when I play with my friends, i get nothing but complaints about pikachu being OP, and I feel like I have to switch, so I never feel like I'm getting better because I don't want to drive my friends to never play anymore.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
They just need to get better really. Pikachu is a great character. I've recently made the change to main him in Ultimate and I haven't regret it since. However he doesn't have that much kill power as others so I would assume your friends play characters who are slower but can kill sooner.

Don't take the shame of maining Pikachu, there are not a lot of people who play Pikachu and the tournament results are very lacking except for esam. If anything we need more Pikachu players as you'd see more Pichus in tournaments instead. I'm surprised they're not complaining about how "op" other characters are.

Take it from a guy who mostly mains Mario/Dr. Mario in other games as Mario can be basic and the whole dthrow up tilt thing in smash 4. Play whoever you feel is the best fit. Who cares on what others think and they shouldn't prevent you from maining someone you really like.

Nagol

Smash Cadet
NNID
NagolNLR
3DS FC
1693-3794-6353
I hate fighting pikachu's and pichu's as marth/lucina. It's just really tough to punish them after their aerials and really hard as a sword character to hit them on the ground. I don't mind fighting them but I usually don't stick around for multiple games because I hate the match up and don't want to get better. Your friends suck

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I main Samus, so naturally I loathe dealing with small characters. Still, don't stop playing as Pikachu just because you know people who think it's overpowered. My brother would play against our friend. I was away, but my friend would complain about how my brother played or who he used, so he used other characters instead of his main. Needless to say, the complaints didn't stop when my brother used his dark lord and savior, Ganondorf.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I don't enjoy playing against Pikachu/Pichu due to their size, but don't let others shame you for maining either of them. There's always going to be hate directed at characters near the top, even if they aren't actually straight-up broken. Besides, I'm sure DLC will introduce a character or two who becomes the next object of hate ...

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
If you don't want to get shunned for who you play, pick up a mid-tier. That way, you won't be thought of as a "tierwhore" (an unskilled player who only gets results from their character), but you'll still be able to actually win games. Most mid/low tiers are mainly down there because they have some form of untapped competitive potential. Choose a character that piques your interest and lab them for a few days. You'll likely find some advanced tech that you can use to get an advantage over your opponent.

Ratmouse

Smash Rookie
Nearly any character you play will get some hate from salty people you beat. Just keep repping the mouse, brother, and learn to ignore the things players say when their egos are injured!

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
It's funny cause Pika has been pretty busted in every Smash since Brawl, and so far, he's living up to expectations. He's also top dog of 64, now that I think about it.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
My only comment is that if your friends greatly struggle against your Pikachu or other picks... maybe it's best not to face them with that? I typically change around characters a lot, but I'll especially do this against friends or family who have less experience in the game than me. It's not that much practice for you or fun for them if you just stomp them every match.

Though if they want to play/act competitive in the matches against you, I don't see the problem. I'd suggest picking a secondary that way you can also beat them with that if they whine a lot about Pikachu so you can back it up with success with other options as well.

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn’t stop playing Pikachu. I main Link and My best friend hates him as well but thats his problem. if you would be good with a lower top- mid tier char they would complain as well. This is really just a problem because they are too bad to adapt or not practicing the matchup. Tell them to pick a char that counters pika in the current meta if they believe in tier lists at this stage of the game. If they say they don’t want to change chars, tell them thats how you feel with pika.

Sounds rough but that’s my opinion.

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
Keep playing Pikachu, but also work on a few alternative characters to work on against your friends. No need to run them into the ground, and I've always found it to be advantageous to at least be familiar with playing other characters to understand how to fight against them with my mains.

Your friends should adapt over time to facing your Pikachu. If you don't want to put him aside, you could at least attempt taking risks you wouldn't normally take, work on different strategies, and hopefully, you all gain something from that.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I don't think Pikachu is OP or anything. But I do hate you for maining Pikachu because I simply hate the character. I've hated Pikachu since Smash 64. I hate Pichu just as much if not more. **** both of those stupid, annoying electric rats and everyone who plays them.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Play who you want and don’t worry about the hate. I get hate for playing Ness sometimes because of PK Fire (which isn’t a great move and very situational) and back throw. I don’t really care though, people who “hate” on specific characters and take it seriously are probably bad at the game

Don’t let outside influences make you stop playing your main. Play whoever you want no matter what anyone says about them

Last edited:

MetallicMacko

Smash Rookie
If you don't want to get shunned for who you play, pick up a mid-tier. That way, you won't be thought of as a "tierwhore" (an unskilled player who only gets results from their character), but you'll still be able to actually win games. Most mid/low tiers are mainly down there because they have some form of untapped competitive potential. Choose a character that piques your interest and lab them for a few days. You'll likely find some advanced tech that you can use to get an advantage over your opponent.
I also play Lucas and cloud, but I don't do as well with them. But that's because I've spent so much time with pikachu...

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
There's nothing to complain about Pikachu. He's good for sure but at least he's interesting to play against, which is not the case of all the characters.
I usually don't hate on how OP a character is but on how annoying he is to fight...I think of Megaman, Olimar or Incineroar.

It's like that, there are some characters I just don't have enough fun fighting to even find a way around =')

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Flavor of the Week.

Well, previous weeks. I don't hear much hate for Pikachu now. Now it's all about Wolf. And before that, Wario. And before that, Cloud. And before that, Snake. And probably coming soon, Ike.

People will get over it once they get better at beating it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom