• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any option to buffer nair now that c-stick nairs are gone?

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I'm getting a lot of dairs because my timing was never the best with float cancel nairs to begin with, I only have about a 50% accuracy on my float cancel nairs right now and since I have a clenching problem when I'm under pressure that drops to about 30% in real game scenarios. It might actually be a bit worse than that, so it's not exactly something I can rely on in game.

One thing I noticed is sometimes when you buffer short hop aerials in this game you get a nair even when you use the c-stick. Has anyone figured out why this is and do you think we can use it to make float cancel nairs more consistent?

I will accept "git gud" as an answer. I'm not afraid of working on cleaning them up the old fashioned way, but I got so used to c-stick in Smash 4 that a trick to help out with them would be appreciated. XD

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
C stick nair is not gone. I explain how you do it at the end of this video. also might explain your buffering situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwWP5t2Wii4&t

What I usually do to get Ground float nairs is I instant ground float by jumping and holding down. I use X to jump. It's held with my thumb. Once I am floating (while X is still held) I Move my thumb to hit the A button and I get my nair. When you move forward and ground float, your momentum i carried in that direction. So just let go of the control stick and hit A. Or else you might get something else like dair/fair.

clandest1ne

Smash Rookie
Now, realistically im not -amazing- at smash in general, but here is what ive found out while looking into the whole cstick nair thing.

For now it looks like you will have to get used to using an attack button for your float cancelled nairs/footstool nairs (which will potentially result in a tech-chase as opposed to a lock now as footstools are techable) etc etc. Its actually incredibly stupid how the cstick seems to work in ultimate for multiple reasons, check this video from leffen for the various reasons why the cstick is pretty spaz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c70CzFMbv6M

The thing you mentioned about buffered nairs - Any instant short hop aerial (the new mechanic they put in that lets you perform a perfect short hop aerial by jumping and attacking at the same time) that is buffered during a separate move while on the ground seems to output a short hop nair for some reason. You can buffer jump + up on the cstick during a dtilt for instance and get a short hop nair... Also, the workaround you mentioned Dark.Pch seems to not always work as intended for me.. It was working briefly but i couldnt replicate it reliably, and it just seems like a bit of a convoluted way to input something that you should be able to use at will and in a simple fashion, especially for peach mains who could really use it (many of which have cstick nair in their muscle memory already).

Ground float + A while not moving the left stick may work when you want forward momentum, but if you want to actually change your momentum while floating and nair at the same time you cant. Not sure why they dont just let you use either clicking in the cstick or grab to nair seeing as you can air-dodge with the shield button anyway. Being that while floating grab turns into an attack button anyway, why not just have it do z-drop and nair and let attack button + cstick do the other aerials.

edit: Also mapping jump to right trigger might help you transition to using A to Nair with more control, as you wont be holding another button with your right thumb. Its a fairly common control mapping for peach mains anyway (along with turning tap jump off), as it gives you far more control over your jumping and floating by separating the need to attack and jump using the same button. It also means you can use the Cstick more freely if you choose to, as you dont need to X or Y for jump all the time. Tap jump off makes it easier to uptilt too.

Last edited:

Lions’s Sin of Pride

Smash Rookie
Just practice, man. It’s weird at first because of the input lag but once you get the timing of it down it isn’t too hard. Usually I just buffer a float cancel, release the analog stick, buffer Nair and boom. Works for me every time but I may be used to that since I’ve used Peach since Melee.

Took me a bit to adapt to this game but after a bit it just became natural.

I haven’t tested out Dark.Pch method but I will later on just to confirm. If it works consistently the way he does it, it just opens up and whole new type of pressure game for her and more openings for combos.

I went into training mode and slowed it down until I got the timing of the Nair again. I sped it up until I got back to normal speed and it was cake. So yeah man. Just practice! That’s all I can really say without coming off like a complete a**hole lol

Top Bottom