• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any Help For A New Capt. Falcon Main?

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
First thing is to read the guides on Smashboards and also check out guides on Youtube.
Practice simple combos, movement, recovery, harder combos and so forth.
Once you feel comfortable try to face some people that are near your skill level.
Once you do well against them practice mindgames, advanced setups, reads and jab locks.

After all that it all comes down to playing smart. So get out there and show them what your made of.
P.S: Join the Captain Falcon Discord group, a lot of people can help you there.

xXMLGBongHitsXx

Smash Rookie
First thing is to read the guides on Smashboards and also check out guides on Youtube.
Practice simple combos, movement, recovery, harder combos and so forth.
Once you feel comfortable try to face some people that are near your skill level.
Once you do well against them practice mindgames, advanced setups, reads and jab locks.

After all that it all comes down to playing smart. So get out there and show them what your made of.
P.S: Join the Captain Falcon Discord group, a lot of people can help you there.
Thanks for the advice!

CascadedVolcano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-5046-9617
hardest part is probably hitting a knee consistently. combos to the knee usually aren't true and are usually read based or mix-ups

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
hardest part is probably hitting a knee consistently. combos to the knee usually aren't true and are usually read based or mix-ups
Ahh... Well conditioning the player that you always do something. Then create a airdodge setup second stock to kill them with it. Captain falcon doesn't "flow". He traps.

CascadedVolcano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-5046-9617
Ahh... Well conditioning the player that you always do something. Then create a airdodge setup second stock to kill them with it. Captain falcon doesn't "flow". He traps.
that's a good idea actually

Clell_Tickle

Smash Rookie
Okay I'm just going to throw some tips out there, not sure if I went a little too overboard but I think it should help, or at least help later on.

Learn to chain nairs at low percents, its a great combo tool if you can space it correctly, and trust me, you need to space it correctly because if you use it too close the jank hitbox will send the opponent flying backwards instead of in front of you, ruining the chain.

Also, learn and get down extended dash dancing and foxtrotting, it is an amazing tool in his arsenal to trick and trap opponents into unsafe moves that you can move in and punish. Try not to use it too much otherwise it loses its edge and becomes very predictable. I found EDD easier to learn than other tech because, for me, it was more about rhythm than muscle memory. Watch a video online and just try to use the sound you hear as a guide for timing. This doesn't work for everyone, but for me and my friends it was great.

Down Tilt is a kill move at (basing this on memory, might not be right but its close) 130% or above at ledges, sends the opponent flying horizontally, and its quick. Its also good for pushing your opponent away if you need some space at lower percents.

Up-tilt has a spike property at the heel, which I assume you already know, but throwing it out there just in case. Use it to edge guard people who recover high, or whose recoveries don't snap to the ledge (*cough cough* cloud). Keep in mind though its not easy to hit and its really easy to evade, but using it sparingly and you can catch people off guard and secure a stock.

And lastly, try to learn how to read air dodges, and punish them. I'm not going to get into them, but I suggest watching Fatality play falcon, great example for it.

Zmac122

Smash Cadet
Okay I'm just going to throw some tips out there, not sure if I went a little too overboard but I think it should help, or at least help later on.

Learn to chain nairs at low percents, its a great combo tool if you can space it correctly, and trust me, you need to space it correctly because if you use it too close the jank hitbox will send the opponent flying backwards instead of in front of you, ruining the chain.

Also, learn and get down extended dash dancing and foxtrotting, it is an amazing tool in his arsenal to trick and trap opponents into unsafe moves that you can move in and punish. Try not to use it too much otherwise it loses its edge and becomes very predictable. I found EDD easier to learn than other tech because, for me, it was more about rhythm than muscle memory. Watch a video online and just try to use the sound you hear as a guide for timing. This doesn't work for everyone, but for me and my friends it was great.

Down Tilt is a kill move at (basing this on memory, might not be right but its close) 130% or above at ledges, sends the opponent flying horizontally, and its quick. Its also good for pushing your opponent away if you need some space at lower percents.

Up-tilt has a spike property at the heel, which I assume you already know, but throwing it out there just in case. Use it to edge guard people who recover high, or whose recoveries don't snap to the ledge (*cough cough* cloud). Keep in mind though its not easy to hit and its really easy to evade, but using it sparingly and you can catch people off guard and secure a stock.

And lastly, try to learn how to read air dodges, and punish them. I'm not going to get into them, but I suggest watching Fatality play falcon, great example for it.
To add on and to discuss what Clell said
Down tilt can kill, but it is more used for stage control or a longer groud spacing move.
Your basic concept of captain falcon is mixups from down throw. You have a ton of options. D throw to up air is more a i want kill you with a airdodge 50/50 read. You can up air or nair 100 percent of the time at low percent. Most of your damage will be from throws. upthrow kills at 180ish. Back throw at ledge will kill around 135. Get comfortable off stage. Back air is your safest kill option and spacing technique. Get good at "flicking" your enemies with a short hop up air. Its hard to apply at first, but it lead into a lot of his highlight 50/50 kill confirms

TheSausXL

Smash Cadet
The best advice I can give you is practice practice practice the fundamentals. Extended dash dancing, auto cancel nair, instant ledge grab, SHFF uair, recovery mixups, and situational awareness. Once you have a good grasp on those, really focus on optimizing your combo game. For me, it's not about memorizing percents, though that is a factor in it. It's about just feeling the power of the character and going with the flow, react to your opponents actions and capitalize. Don't think of what is the best action in the combo, just act on instinct, it works very well for me. Think of it like this: if you don't know what you are doing before you do it, how can your opponent? This does not mean make a habit or pattern that can be read and dealt with, it means stay on your toes and don't go for the same thing every time. Once you have the bread and butter combos down, it's time to master one of the main reasons why people main C.Falcon... The style. This means PP gentleman, stickywalking, scarjumping, infinite ledge running, footstool combos, HARD READS, lock combos, Tipman Upair, and nutty offstage game.

I knew Captain Falcon was going to be my main before he was even announced, and have been playing him since day one. When I play other characters, I don't get the same thrill i get when I play C.Falcon, even though I do enjoy playing them. Because of this, C.Falcon is my eternal main, no matter what character comes out or what patch nerfs him. I never get tired of his manly might, and I hope you don't either.

:4falcon:Falcon be with you.:4falcon:

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
Falcon's attacks can be hard to sweetspot, but when they're landed properly, they can be some of the most devastating moves in the game. What I did to get good at Falcon is spending loads of time in training mode, and practicing against low level CPUs to be able to land the combos perfectly.

-*-Grumbolaya-*-

Smash Rookie
NNID
attillatubby
Bruh. As a Falcon Main, big respect, I suggest you watch some youtube combo videos with input shown on screen. Once you practice these for a while start getting used to the RAW SPEED of Falcon and try to make something of your own while you get used to how his kill moves work.

TheLobsterCopter5000

Smash Apprentice
Also remember that Falcon takes RCO lag when landing after hitting an opponent with Falcon Dive, but you actually take a little less lag if you land with an up air instead of the hard RCO landing.

Top Bottom