• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any good videos of psi magnet/air dodge/magnet hands recovery?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
So I’ve been reading here that the best way to recover this game is to use directional air dodge along with your psi magnet and double jump. I definitely wanna get this technique down so I was wondering if there were any good videos or tutorials of it?

IllNess

Smash Rookie
Watch BestNess matchups on youtube.

I don't know any player that uses Ness' air dodge and Psi Magnet to maneuver through the air as much as him.

Example 1 - Use of Air Dodge to get back on stage

Example 2 - BestNess uses Psi Magnet to slow down his decent

Example 3 - Really good use of Air Dodge to ledge

Example 4 - Not exactly what you're asking for but before grabbing on the ledge, he uses PK Thunder to protect himself from a ledge guard.

Example 5 - Another example of using up air dodge.

Example 6 - Look how far Air Dodge goes.

Ness has one of the best air dodges because his PK Thunder 2 is pretty garbage in some stages and against a lot of characters.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Bestness, Awestin, FOW, and Jtails are all very good at mixing up not only recovery, but also just general movement.

Awestin and Bestness went head to head in shockwave grand finals last night. Both players go all out with absolutely every mixup they have, and it’s amazing to watch.

https://youtu.be/M1Be74ZVV5Y

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Bestness, Awestin, FOW, and Jtails are all very good at mixing up not only recovery, but also just general movement.

Awestin and Bestness went head to head in shockwave grand finals last night. Both players go all out with absolutely every mixup they have, and it’s amazing to watch.

https://youtu.be/M1Be74ZVV5Y
I loved watching that match! It’s nice seeing all these high level Ness players being consistently successful in Ultimate. Can’t sleep on Ness now, he’s really good

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Gackt is officially the best PSI magnet user I’ve seen so far. https://youtu.be/YNhwkA0WWP4
I love that. I’ve been using PSI Magnet more and more often and it’s really made me a better player. I’ve been using at a spacing tool (it’s great because nobody expects it to space, it’s like a pseudo shine), a momentum tool when recovering and moving around the stage, and just completely shutting down certain characters projectile games. I think PSI Magnet is going to be a really big part of Ness’s kit in Ultimate and I think it’s one of the main reasons he’ll stay high tier

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
Why does he keep jumping and using PSI Magnet? It doesn't seem to be getting him anything, and he got punished for it several times. I'm trying to learn more about the move so I can use it better on
Mii gunner I don't play Ness

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Why does he keep jumping and using PSI Magnet? It doesn't seem to be getting him anything, and he got punished for it several times. I'm trying to learn more about the move so I can use it better on
Mii gunner I don't play Ness
It’s the momentum and postioning mix ups. It makes it hard to guess where Ness is going or what he’ll do. He did start to get punished for it, but he adapted and punished a few attempts to preemptively punish the magnet.

I’m unfamiliar if mii gunners absorb has the same hitbox and movement properties, so I don’t know how well this translates.

Last edited:

kraw23

Smash Apprentice
It cancels the double jump early too, which might be why. Mii Gunner isn't as floaty as Ness so possibly it's less useful.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Yeah PSI Magnet is a mix up/movement tool for Ness to make his landings less predictable. It’s basically like say somebody thought you were gonna land faster and tries to punish you for that but they whiff because you used PSI Magnet and now you can land safely and possibly counter punish. It also functions as a mini shine and gives you a window of spacing and there are a few combos you can do out of it

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I just messed around with mii gunner’s absorb move, and it does indeed function very differently from Ness’s. It completely halts your momentum, so it functions like Smash 4’s version of PSI magnet. It’s mainly an air stall to mix up landings/recovery and to change direction to, say, land with bair on shield. I’m not sure if mii gunner has any follow ups off the hitbox like Ness does, but I’ll leave that to the gunner’s to lab out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom