• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any cool GameCube controller modifications?

Solomon

Smash Rookie
Yo, sorry for the bump, but I wasn't quite sure where to ask this, so I'll ask here. I'm planning on buying a Red 3rd party controller and using it's bottom shell for my secondary control. My question is, will I encounter any issues doing so? Like, are the insides of the shell different from a first party pad?

Here's the one I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K6Z4SUM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1413479614&sr=8-1
Sadly first party and third party shells don't mix well.

Last edited:
sick dude i used to have a third party white top and official clear bottom but i didnt like the feel, button stiffness sucked. how is yours?
The face buttons and shoulder buttons feel fine, Z on the other hand is a bit stiff, but responds fine to every press. Had to melt alot of unnecessary ridges inside of the controller to get it to close, then had to melt around where the Z button goes because the shells didn't align properly.

mattergamer47

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1300-9761
The face buttons and shoulder buttons feel fine, Z on the other hand is a bit stiff, but responds fine to every press. Had to melt alot of unnecessary ridges inside of the controller to get it to close, then had to melt around where the Z button goes because the shells didn't align properly.
thanks for letting me know, i should try this sometime, does it feel oem? like official?

mattergamer47

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1300-9761
yeah haha, i was thinking of using a bottom shell but sanding it a little bit and custom paint it, just an idea, try appling a few layers of krylon clear coat to the bottom shell, may help

yeah haha, i was thinking of using a bottom shell but sanding it a little bit and custom paint it, just an idea, try appling a few layers of krylon clear coat to the bottom shell, may help
I will take that into consideration! It's a pretty good idea! Might order one more controller and see what I come up with lol.

mattergamer47

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1300-9761
A note for anyone wanting to replace your gamecube stick box, I hear the wii nunchuck ones can be soldered in place of the gc ones and works perfectly!

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I'm sorry for reviving the thread but, does anyone know if you can replace both GC controller sticks with the Wii U Pro Controller sticks? I was using the Pro before finally getting my hands on an adapter and warmed up to them. I'd even replace the c-stick if someone can confirm that I can. Also, are the internals of the newer controllers the same? I have the Japanese-exclusive white smash controller I wanna mod a bit.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I'm sorry for reviving the thread but, does anyone know if you can replace both GC controller sticks with the Wii U Pro Controller sticks? I was using the Pro before finally getting my hands on an adapter and warmed up to them. I'd even replace the c-stick if someone can confirm that I can. Also, are the internals of the newer controllers the same? I have the Japanese-exclusive white smash controller I wanna mod a bit.
It should be easy to replace both Analog and C-Sticks. However, I've never opened up a WiiU to determine if the cap fits, but I'm 80% positive it'll fit.
Replaced mine with Sticks from the PS2, though it's a bit taller than the OEM, it makes easier tilts tho.

Keman

Smash Apprentice
Saw the thread thought I would add to it. I mixed an old Orange one and a new White one for 2 semi custom ones and I have one I custom painted up.

Main

Alt

Custom (was an old Silver one that the paint was wore on)

Sanding

Painted

Keman

Smash Apprentice
To the people with custom colors: What brand spray paint do you recommend?
Well back when I did all my Guitar Hero controllers, I believe I used a Krylon fusion type of paint that was for plastics with some form of Krylon clear coat spray on top. (can be flat or gloss or whatever you prefer)

Just need to make sure whatever you are painting is sanded and cleaned good then do very thin coats with plenty of time to dry in between. (and by thin I mean the first coat doesn't even fully cover the item) a few layers of that and then 2-3 thin clear coat layers(I'd normally give 12 hours of dry time between each coat here, no idea if that's really needed thoe) just make sure the clear coats dry good and go on thin or I believe it will turn out kind of sticky to the touch.

For that GC controller thoe I used this different paint that is supposed to be for metals to make them look like different metals (brass/bronze) that I had used on some custom Lightsaber stuff I had did. I brushed it on and have this darkener stain type stuff that I can thin out and apply to my likening to darken/age it up a bit.

MadFungi

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, tomorrow I'll do the spring removal mode and change the left stick for a 360 controllers stick, I'm willing to do a carbon fiber vinil mod, anyone had tried that?

EarthboundHero

Smash Ace
NNID
DutMob_A1
Anyone know how a Sega Dreamcast control stick would work within a gc on? I feel like it's a little better traction on my finger.

FamiGrafx

Smash Rookie
I just tried DC sticks, EarthboundHero. As someone who honestly hates DC sticks (no disrespect to the DC's library; I own the controller for a reason), it feels surprisingly nice. Though you'll either want to find some kind of spacer or be careful not to push in on them. The sticks like to sink in so far you can hardly walk otherwise.
And GC sticks do not fit in DC controllers, sadly. I would've done that in a heartbeat.

emiguelsv

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpaceMS
I just used "spacer" as a generic term for something I made myself that made the R button the same height as the L.

I can try to explain what I did -- it isn't that complicated in reality but might be hard to describe.

I took a knockoff controller, non-Nintendo brand, that I wasn't really using and took out the L and R buttons. I cut away at the "shell" of the button until all that was left was the rod in the middle:

Then I cut that rod up into 1/4 inch sections (about 5.5mm) each.

So now all you have to do is put this little rod inside the black thing (or whatever color yours might be is) :

Then put in the R or L button, then carefully put it back in the controller. This can be hard because if you squeeze the trigger button too hard it will all pop out.

And that's all there is to it! The hardest part certainly is cutting the rod into small chunks of the right size. I heated up a knife so it melted the plastic as I cut.
Clever. Thanks. I might try this out, as I have a couple generic controllers lying around.

Last edited:

Angell

Smash Cadet
Thanks to this thread I did this!

Gold top, Clear bottom, and blue LEDs for rumble!

Thanks for all of the ideas!

Attachments

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
Thought I'd might as well share.
The stick was drifting too much, so while I had it torn apart I decided to replace the analog stick with a PS3 stick. After that, I sanded down an X PS3 button so that I could put it under the square button (Without it the square would be too short, that B button is really long..)
EDIT: Although taking a picture of a black controller on a black desk probably isn't such a good idea.

Attachments

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Been thinking about making a custom so here's a draft of what I kinda wanna do. Haven't really done anything custom so I don't know what's a good kind of paint for buttons, any recommendations would be awesome.

How do Wii Classic Controller sticks compare to GCN? I'm guessing Amazon won't have anything except third party so I'm a little hesitant.

Not sure what color would work well for the controller so I left it white for now. Any recommendations would be cool.

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
I think they're the sticks used on Numchucks (not sure though....I'll ask a friend and get back to you.)
If you have a Gamestop where you're at, they sell used Classic Controllers pretty cheap.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I painted these over the summer.

Working on a Hylian Shield themed one right now with an actual metal border. Won't be done for a while.

Last edited:

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
Been thinking about making a custom so here's a draft of what I kinda wanna do. Haven't really done anything custom so I don't know what's a good kind of paint for buttons, any recommendations would be awesome.

How do Wii Classic Controller sticks compare to GCN? I'm guessing Amazon won't have anything except third party so I'm a little hesitant.

Not sure what color would work well for the controller so I left it white for now. Any recommendations would be cool.

The Classic Controllers use the same thumbstick as the Nunchuck (I'm pretty certain...)
They're aight, but I prefer the GCC thumbstick, not having the rings on the thumbstick feels weird.
@ Squire Squire Those look awesome! I especially love the Deku Shield one. What kind of paint did you use? I'm thinking of using car paint, probably Glasurit with some sweet pearls and metallics in it. Make it shiiine...

Last edited:

Squire

Smash Apprentice
@ McSlur McSlur I used my friends' paint. We all painted ours together. iirc it was just some basic spray paint + primer for plastics. The wood texture and the Kokiri symbol were painted by hand with the same type of paint. I bought the same paint again for my second controller (I recognized the can) but I can't remember the brand or specific type. I'm going to add a coat of gloss or two to my next controller to try to make it shiny. I'll post it up when I'm finished so you can see the result, and I'll edit this when I find out exactly what paint I used.

For best results:
-Remove controller shell
-Use a needle or toothpick to clean off any "hand poop" from the controller if it's one you've used a lot in the past
-Sand controller shell with ~600 grit sandpaper
-Put paper towel bits in each button hole (you don't want paint in the start button hole especially. It'll never work right again)
-2 coats of primer
-2 coats of paint
-Wait a day between different colors on same shell half, or if you're painting a custom design
-Don't paint buttons (it looks cool, but you run the risk of making the buttons and button holes crusty, and they can get stuck)
-Put shell back on controller

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Any guide for painting controller buttons?

I want to go through with my earlier post (might just swap around buttons), so I would need to buy primer, spray paint, and... anything else?

So would I go to a hobby shop or somewhere else to get paint and materials?

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
@ McSlur McSlur
-Remove controller shell
-Use a needle or toothpick to clean off any "hand poop" from the controller if it's one you've used a lot in the past
Relevant but slightly off topic; Would controllers that are in good condition but have those awful "this controller is always going hard left" problems fixable this way..?
I have 2 controllers I love (Spice Orange and Jet Black) but they have these kinds of issues and I heard the reason they stay this way is because of "hand poop" so is it possible? or more complicated? (I use da smashboards white cont.)

EDIT: Also, curious about GC Cont. Shells; Can the Shell (or half of one) of a GC Classic Controller Pro (you know, mario, luigi, yoshi, peach, ect..) be used as half of a 1st Party GC Cont mod?
ex; top half white 1st party shell, bottom half Peach GC style Classic Cont Pro.

Last edited:

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Whoops got a pretty messy paintjob on my buttons, used primer, then acrylic paint; mainly the A & B buttons are pretty bad, but X and Y are decent.

Are you supposed to sand the buttons with sandpaper before you apply primer, then paint?

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
So removing the spring in the r button makes it easier to wavedash?
For some people it can. For me, definitely. It removes the "empty action" of having to fully depress the button through the light-press stage to get to the hard-press, where the air-dodge actually occurs. So it makes timing easier and reduces finger strain.

SPAZ494

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4511-0835-8425
For some people it can. For me, definitely. It removes the "empty action" of having to fully depress the button through the light-press stage to get to the hard-press, where the air-dodge actually occurs. So it makes timing easier and reduces finger strain.
Thanks I think I'll try it

Narpas_sword

dude. dont spam advertising posts =/

edit: this is totally out of context now that the posters posts got deleted.
feel free to delete...

Last edited:

zmoneyfresh

Smash Rookie
are L and R triggers without springs or modified controllers in general legal in tourneys?

Pikezer1337

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I just wanted to inform everyone about this small company. I am in no way affiliated with this company but have just recently received a product for them and would like to share my experience.

I've been looking online for custom controllers for some time. After all who doesn't want a one of a kind controller that depicts their favorite characters and what not? Luckily I stumbled upon Super Coffee Bros on YouTube and eventually found their Facebook and Twitter. They seem to be an up and coming company. I messaged them on Facebook about an inquiry and had a response in less than an hour. They were extremely helpful and kind when it came to coming up with a design. Being a Sheik main I wanted something to do with her. They came up with some mock designs and after my approval they started right away. I first talked to them on Saturday and 4 days later on Wednesday I have the controller in my hand.

The price for a shell(that they already have in inventory) and a paint job/decal is 55 US dollars. When comparing this to other companies or private people who paint GC controllers you won't find a better deal. Each shell is from what I understand painted and then overlayed with a decal followed by automotive clear coats and then put in an oven to harden that. With that grade of protection I expect the controller to last years and years.

Communication was top notch and the controller is amazing. It feels like glass and is absolutely beautiful. When comparing it to the original matte feel of a GC controller I'd have to say this feels about the same if not better. If you want to make your friends jealous or stick out at a competition then I highly suggest contacting this company. I have attached some pictures below to showcase my controller. It features a dark blue coat followed by a Sheik decal with metallic flakes to mimic some stars in the sky.

If you have any questions about them or need more information just comment below. You can check them out on Facebook or Twitter or see the YouTube. Again I am in no way associated with them but just wanted to put this option out there for anyone looking for a custom GC controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom