• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any cool GameCube controller modifications?

LydianAlchemist

Smash Apprentice
I bought 3x whites, a emerald blue and an orange spice. made a bunch of cool colored controllers.

orange spice frontplate + blue back plate + white chord
blue and indigo
orange and indigo

replaced the shoulders form the white with older ones (the whites aren't metal so they catch. i play with 3 fingers on my right hand. so the downwards pressure makes it catch esp when doing spacing zairs w/ samus)

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Mine glows in the dark, I just used glow in the dark spray paint. But I suggestion you do not use gltd paint on a bright colored controller because it makes it look icky in the light.
I was thinking more along the lines of making a mold and creating the shell from a glow-in-the-dark material.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
Boy was this controller a hassle to get everything perfect. First it came with the companies logo on the front and had to use some lemon pledge/sand paper/ nail filer to get it off. Second getting a official gamecube pcb to fit was also somewhat annoying, I pretty much had to gut the inside where the rumble pack goes to get everything to fit. Next after a week of playing with it the gamecube analog it just never felt right, so decided to use a classic controller analog (Man does it feel great since I'm use to playing on classic controller). The Only parts I used from the fake controller was the rubber pad that goes under the button because the B button wasn't fully going down. So in the end this is probably the best feeling controller I've ever used.

Had to re take, last one didn't do it justice :)
hey, i have your avatar on a calendar in my room : o

on topic; that's hella dedication to a controller mod. i tried to weasel a third party pcb board into my first party controller once and just gave up. was not worth it at all for me ;x

Solomon

Smash Rookie
hey, i have your avatar on a calendar in my room : o

on topic; that's hella dedication to a controller mod. i tried to weasel a third party pcb board into my first party controller once and just gave up. was not worth it at all for me ;x
haha yeah it was a lot of work but worth it, its been a couple weeks now and still working great. Though I did change the analog to a light blue and might buy a white gamecube controller for the pcb/white cable >.< , Up next is getting a fake red controller and making something for my cousin, I'll probable post that once its done.

Controlled_Chaos

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know if I can switch B and Y on a controller? I switched those in P:M, and now I want to play meele.
I know a lot of soldering, wondering if someone has done this before?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Actually I don't know if mods like that are legal or not.

If it's just switching the functions of the button (B is jump, Y is special) then it's not a macro it's just a preference in buttons.

Mods that are tournament illegal are usually referred to as "something that does a series of actions for you" which, again, this does not. I'd be very surprised if you were unable to compete doing this, but it's something you'd want to bring up to your TO so that no one tries to accuse you of cheating. Mods like that aren't common in the Smash scene, but I know they used to be fairly common in the traditional FGC when you didn't have the options to edit your button functions on your stick.

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
While I was fixing my wiggly control stick, I decided to replace the B button with a PS3 square button, and the control stick top with a PS3 control stick top.
Works pretty well, but I still need to sand down a couple of things. B (or square) button is super touchy now.

Whoa! I remember lurking this thread way before I made an account. I had always wanted a spiffy looking controller to use if I ever joined tournaments. I have some now but they're extremely basic. Left is my main, right is my spare.

Attachments

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
is there a place to buy already made custom controllers that dont charge $100+?

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Is it possible to replace joystick *mounts*? I have an otherwise-perfect controller where the left joystick is starting to come quite loose, it has a huge dead zone in the middle.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Whoa! I remember lurking this thread way before I made an account. I had always wanted a spiffy looking controller to use if I ever joined tournaments. I have some now but they're extremely basic. Left is my main, right is my spare.
I have similar ones but with black/platinum(no pictures right now).

I'm also looking into getting some black face buttons, But I can't find any on the intertube.
Does anyone know where I can buy some, or would I have to paint them myself?

Last edited:
I have similar ones but with black/platinum(no pictures right now).

I'm also looking into getting some black face buttons, But I can't find any on the intertube.
Does anyone know where I can buy some, or would I have to paint them myself?
Wish I knew, because I'm pretty interested in seeing the end result!

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
Well here's a picture of the controllers I was talking about.
Edit: I didn't really know where to ask this so I figured I'd post it here. I'm having a bit of trouble with another controller of mine. the right trigger doesn't click when pressed down.(Well, this isn't new , It's always done that.)

So I opened it up and saw that the slider(I think that's what it's called.) has a little bit stuck in the bottom.
I was going to rip it out but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to to be in there, somewhere.

Could someone please inform me on how to fix it?

I've got a picture of it, but it's a little hard to see. My camera isn't the best.
cub slider.JPG

Last edited:

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
my 'troller is pearl top, clear bottom, and lights up with red LEDs when it rumbles (rumble pack does not function). it also has a tag by the port section hanging off that has a pic of Strong Bad and my name on it. it's pretty sick.
the guts are also frankensteined from like 3 controllers over the 5 years I've been playing. i have a backup that's very similar, as well.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/883542_10151492669479214_2087126016_o.jpg

further modification will probably be replacing the currently white cord with a pearl cord and putting a Strong Bad-related sticker on the top of it.
Hey Strong Bad, I know that this thread is really old, but I was wondering where you got that "pearl" paint? It looks awesome. Also, where can I find a clear case?

Edit: NVM post is not as old as I thought.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There was an official Pearl controller, I didn't paint it.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
so, i've heard it's possible to replace worn out analog sticks (both cstick and normal analog). like, the entire part, down to the control box.

is this true? and if so, does anyone have some sort of a guide to follow for it and what parts you can swap in for the analog? my brother came by some older controllers that just need a new stick box to work and if we can find directions for it, i'm sure we could find someone who can do it.

and yes, my googlfu is really weak ;x

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
so, i've heard it's possible to replace worn out analog sticks (both cstick and normal analog). like, the entire part, down to the control box.

is this true? and if so, does anyone have some sort of a guide to follow for it and what parts you can swap in for the analog? my brother came by some older controllers that just need a new stick box to work and if we can find directions for it, i'm sure we could find someone who can do it.

and yes, my googlfu is really weak ;x
I have a spare N64 controller control box. Maybe I can try replacing a GCC control stick with it.
Then I'll be the only one who wants to use the controller! MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Mister the Wizard

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7432-3401
Have any of you guys ever heard of someone putting a little mini fan in the controller? I've heard of people poking holes in the handles of the controller and putting a fan inside instead of LED's so it cools off your hands while playing. Seems like a cool idea.

GameStation aka C4?!

Smash Journeyman
@ GameStation aka C4?! GameStation aka C4?! made the controller for me
I do not remember you unfortunately, but I am back. It's been awhile since I lasted posted in the art forums, so I hope I can get some creative talk going on in some of the forums I would possibly like to participate in now. Forgive me for forgetting you, I remember your name but I don't remember the last time we talked or did any business.

Anyway, I just graduated college with a bachelors degree, and I'm looking to make some rounds in the creative department on these forums and other art forums around the web as well. I'm looking to make a name for myself now, and I thought what better way to do it than to comeback to the smashboards.

Good to be back.

https://www.behance.net/Seedsower316
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Christopher-Ahearn/685236651565857

Last edited:

mattergamer47

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0173-1300-9761
Boy was this controller a hassle to get everything perfect. First it came with the companies logo on the front and had to use some lemon pledge/sand paper/ nail filer to get it off. Second getting a official gamecube pcb to fit was also somewhat annoying, I pretty much had to gut the inside where the rumble pack goes to get everything to fit. Next after a week of playing with it the gamecube analog it just never felt right, so decided to use a classic controller analog (Man does it feel great since I'm use to playing on classic controller). The Only parts I used from the fake controller was the rubber pad that goes under the button because the B button wasn't fully going down. So in the end this is probably the best feeling controller I've ever used.

Had to re take, last one didn't do it justice :)
Yo how do you guys feel about an orange top and pink bottom? Is that a good combo?
Ah. Where did you get the clear bottom? I don't need a full controller, just the shell, but everywhere I look I can only find "clear japanese controllers" that cost like $60.
Get the indigo and clear controllers if you want the clear bottom, I copped mine for around 15 bucks

Yo, sorry for the bump, but I wasn't quite sure where to ask this, so I'll ask here. I'm planning on buying a Red 3rd party controller and using it's bottom shell for my secondary control. My question is, will I encounter any issues doing so? Like, are the insides of the shell different from a first party pad?

Here's the one I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00K6Z4SUM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1413479614&sr=8-1

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ A6stringthing (A6ST) A6stringthing (A6ST) there can be some anomalies.
  • The shape / size of the entire thing might be a little different, creating a gap or an overhang when paired with an official controller half.
  • The L and R triggers might be shaped differently and be of lower quality. This happened to me once. The problem here is you wouldn't be able to replace them with official ones because they wont fit through the 3rd party holes.
  • Some little plastic bits on the inside might cause an official controller's board / rumble block to not fit properly.
For the price I'd say that one is worth the risk, though. Many of these issues are fixable if you're willing to cut / sand the new shell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom