• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any cool GameCube controller modifications?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
People actually modify their controllers.

And here I am just using a original silver controller with the rubber torn off.

....Suffering.

Falco R

Smash Rookie
For those without a spring in one of the shoulder buttons, how does that effect jumping? does it eliminate short hops?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
No it doesn't remove short hops
Short hops vs full hops are only determined by how long you press the button down, not how hard. removing the spring would probably actually make it easier to choose between full hops and short hops

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
As an update to my stuff I've done: I put the spring back in my L button. For light press stuff (working on light press L-cancel instead of mashing it all the way down like I'm used to) and preparing for if they ever implement light shielding.

Still have my R button setup like in that guide I just made, though. It's absolutely incredible. It makes wavedashing a lot easier for me since you only have to push the button down a tiny amount.

Zujx

Smash Apprentice
This thread has inspired so much science about to happen to one of my controllers with a broken stick

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I've spent the last few days spray painting a few controllers, attempting to paint an Arizona flag and matching color scheme onto one. It didn't work well at all, I suck at making stencils. However what I really enjoy doing is only painting the front cover of a black controller a solid color, putting another clear coat on it once it dries, and put it back together. It looks pretty sick imo, and because the back is still the original paint it doesn't feel as rough in your hand.

PATH O__o

::The Pathological Trailmix::
3DS FC
0018-2341-8072
Whoa, after reading this thread I can't wait to open my controller and see what I can cook up. The rubber tore off my control stick awhile ago, I can't believe I hadn't thought of switching it. A huge thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread!

JB IV

Smash Cadet
This is what I use when I play Meta Knight in Brawl:
upload_2014-1-5_17-24-56.png

The red button is set to special and I leave tap jump on.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Is there anything that can be done for controllers whose control sticks are crapping out, such as getting to loose and wiggly, or not registering all inputs properly?

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
Is there anything that can be done for controllers whose control sticks are crapping out, such as getting to loose and wiggly, or not registering all inputs properly?
depends, how much are you willing to do to fix it? like, is it enough where you'd want to actually mess around w/ the internals of the stick, or possibly flat-out soldering a new one in?

note that just replacing the rubber/plastic of the stick won't solve anything with this. I've tried that, the actual tactic involves technical know-how far higher than mine

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I recently bought Smash Bros. Melee, an indego GameCube, and a GameCube controller with a clear bottom all for 30$ bucks off some Hispanic guy in some ghetto store, it was a steal. Now I just need to know how to hook up led lights, anyone want to enlighten me on that?

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I have an original GC controller with the rubber torn off.
I'm thinking about giving it my new white one's stick and giving that one a nunchuck stick because I think the original's buttons feel better.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
the nunchuck stick is slightly taller, so it feels different. My friend has it in his controller and i can't stand it, but he prefers it over the regular sticks, so just keep in mind that you may not like the nunchuck stick

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have 8 GC controllers with torn control stick rubber. Is it easy to replace it?
The easiest way to do that is to replace the whole stick, which is actually very easy to do. You just need to open up the controller, you know take off the front plate, and pull the control stick off. It's not attached to anything, it just slides on and off.

Only problem is you need a source of extra control sticks haha

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
The easiest way to do that is to replace the whole stick, which is actually very easy to do. You just need to open up the controller, you know take off the front plate, and pull the control stick off. It's not attached to anything, it just slides on and off.

Only problem is you need a source of extra control sticks haha
Thanks!
Now I'm searching for a good quality control stick.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
The thing to remember is: if the stick feels loose or wobbly, that can't be fixed the same way. The solution I gave up there is only for fixing the problem of the rubber being worn or torn. The mechanism that is responsible for looseness is soldered on to the board of the controller.

yourwifeandkids

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-6894-1918
Hey everyone. I've recently been getting into Melee again (I last played in... 2007, maybe?) and it occurred to me that there are some mods I could do to my controller to make certain actions easier. Before even finding this thread, I managed to remove the spring under the R button, and I've replaced the analog stick with a 360 stick. What a difference that made! Dash dancing is significantly easier now, and so is wavedashing, of course.

I come bearing a question, though. Has anyone heard of a mod to the X or Y button that could terminate the signal early, therefore always resulting in short hops? I imagine that could be a questionable mod in a tournament setting, but since I'm still not on top of my short hopping game, I think it would be quite beneficial to me now, since I'm trying to improve on my spacing and move choice. It's frustrating to full hop (with Fox) every time I actually wanted a short hop. I'll get around to mastering the legit short hop eventually, but for now, I'd like an easier alternative.

After further research, it seems such a mod would require pretty solid knowledge of electronics and/or circuit boards, which I don't have. That's fine, I'd rather be actually skilled in the long run than have to rely on a mod to accomplish short hopping.

Speaking of which, though, is it true that most tournaments ban the use of modded controllers? To what extent does this ban apply? I've read posts by many others who have removed the spring from under their R buttons; would this technically be banned? And how about the 360 stick? It seems to me that using a different analog stick doesn't affect the functionality of the controller at all, although an R button spring removal does.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
The R button thing and the XBOX stick thing should be perfectly acceptable by almost all tournament organizers.

Now that short hop button idea I think would probably not be OK. Also not OK are things like a turbo button or a button that performs multiple inputs, like a macro or something.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I wish I knew about this stuff before...I have 2 GC controllers both work and it's just broken controller sticks,then I had 2 nunchucks where the sick worked,but wouldn't plug into the wiimote.

All I had to do was replace...Anyone know a good 3rd party controller?I know they usually suck,but I can't afford officials.

EDIT:Realized replacing the stick isn't enough nvm then...

AceOfSuits

Smash Rookie
my 'troller is pearl top, clear bottom, and lights up with red LEDs when it rumbles (rumble pack does not function). it also has a tag by the port section hanging off that has a pic of Strong Bad and my name on it. it's pretty sick.
the guts are also frankensteined from like 3 controllers over the 5 years I've been playing. i have a backup that's very similar, as well.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/883542_10151492669479214_2087126016_o.jpg

further modification will probably be replacing the currently white cord with a pearl cord and putting a Strong Bad-related sticker on the top of it.

How did you go about modding the controller to that extent? I am really interested in doing this but I have no idea how.

Fortress

Smash Master
Broke my R-trigger a long while back, since it's the only trigger I use, and I switched the positions of the C-stick and control stick. The C-stick is a lot shorter than the control stick, and a lot more comfortable to move around in my opinion.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Broke my R-trigger a long while back, since it's the only trigger I use, and I switched the positions of the C-stick and control stick. The C-stick is a lot shorter than the control stick, and a lot more comfortable to move around in my opinion.
oh my god.

YOU'RE ALIVE.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Which explains why I suck so much, don't ya know

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Speaking of which, though, is it true that most tournaments ban the use of modded controllers? To what extent does this ban apply? I've read posts by many others who have removed the spring from under their R buttons; would this technically be banned? And how about the 360 stick? It seems to me that using a different analog stick doesn't affect the functionality of the controller at all, although an R button spring removal does.
I believe they only ban mods that have turbo or auto short-hop/wavedash type things.

StarWaffle

Smash Lord
I replaced my control/c-stick with Wii classic controller sticks and thats about it.

Solomon

Smash Rookie
Boy was this controller a hassle to get everything perfect. First it came with the companies logo on the front and had to use some lemon pledge/sand paper/ nail filer to get it off. Second getting a official gamecube pcb to fit was also somewhat annoying, I pretty much had to gut the inside where the rumble pack goes to get everything to fit. Next after a week of playing with it the gamecube analog it just never felt right, so decided to use a classic controller analog (Man does it feel great since I'm use to playing on classic controller). The Only parts I used from the fake controller was the rubber pad that goes under the button because the B button wasn't fully going down. So in the end this is probably the best feeling controller I've ever used.

Had to re take, last one didn't do it justice :)

Last edited:

Nguz95

Smash Lord
I would like to know too. If i can find a generic controller that I can put real parts in I'll be set for life.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I would like to know too. If i can find a generic controller that I can put real parts in I'll be set for life.
Well i haven't come across a generic controller where it fits perfectly, but a lot of the times all it takes is sand paper and very hot metal and you've got yourself some spare parts, they are never perfect but they are always close enough to modify

Nguz95

Smash Lord
Interesting. I'm trying to find a way to make a glow in the dark gamecube controller, so maybe this will help. Thanks!

Solomon

Smash Rookie
I bought this one http://goo.gl/RAhIh8 (They sell in all stock colors also), only pink one I could find on the internet. I do know a lot of people like the red one but that a different company, so i'm not sure how well things would fit. (The companies symbol was annoying to get off though, lots of sanding and lemon pledge to remove scratches.)
But to answer your questions, yes everything fits perfectly with stock parts but the rumble part of the controller I had pull out the little plastics stands to make more room for the official one. Also a gamecube analog felt weird to me and it's not because I normally use a Classic controller, sort of felt out of place. Since the CC controller analogs have more height they feel better. Lastly the rubber that goes under the a,b,x,y, for some reason the official one wont let the b button go fully down, so had to use the fake one and it works perfectly now. I'll take some pictures of the inside to show.
Had to cut (more like pull) out the plastic

That plastic zip tie had to be cut for the controller to close up

And the fake rubber pad, this picture is more clear but notice the gap where the pcb wire goes through, I had to widen it a little, the fake controller's cable is thinner.

Also the pcb is from a indigo/clear controller, triggers and buttons as well.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Interesting. I'm trying to find a way to make a glow in the dark gamecube controller, so maybe this will help. Thanks!
Mine glows in the dark, I just used glow in the dark spray paint. But I suggestion you do not use gltd paint on a bright colored controller because it makes it look icky in the light.

Top Bottom