• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any chance I can become a tournament viable player?

NerFox

Smash Cadet
Yes maybe a random and rather difficult question I'm asking here. I'm getting a Switch + SSBU soon and I almost daily enjoy watching smash tournament matches on youtube. Actually I want to become good enough to have a shot (being able to at least not get steamrolled) at local tournaments. Problem is, I suck at Smash. I always played Brawl and Sm4sh very very casually and with a wii remote as controller which probably is really unusual haha. My brother who I play sm4sh against from time to time told me I would play better if I can get used to a pro controller/Gamecube Controller. Even with Cloud and Bayo who are both broken in Sm4sh I struggle to win sometimes. I have almost all Smash amiibo and even a store display of Ultimate in my room and so tbh I'm scared I'll be garbage in a game that really attracts and interests me. It's irrelevant I own that stuff but I thought I could mention it as to show that I really like Smash Bros in general and it's not just some wild random thought.

Can even the worst players who can't combo, can't properly edgeguard etc like me get at least pretty decent at Ultimate or is there some basic skill required to have a chance?

The one character I think really feels good (in sm4sh) to play although I still lose with him is Mario. But I guess that's because he is a basic solid character right? Especially swordies are a nightmare for me while playing him...

I've been playing online matches on sm4sh with Cloud since he is powerful and simple to play and still lose frequently against good players but instead of frustrating I find this very interesting to watch and experience what good players do, even if I get owned.

Characters that seem interesting for me to play in Ultimate are Mario, Piranha Plant, Chrom, Ridley and King K. Rool. I want to take some distance from Cloud even if he's a recommended beginner character.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid or something posting and asking this but at the moment of writing I'm really tired and I just wanted to see what experienced players can tell me.

Thanks for reading!

Top Bottom