• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice on who to main when smash ultimate releases?

GambitGameGuy

Smash Rookie
Not very good with heavies, better with faster, lighter characters. All suggestions are appreciated. P.S. will definitely main goku if he gets announced (I know there's like a 5% chance of that happening, just telling you guys what kind of person I am)

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
I'm the type who doesn't tend to "main" a character, per se (I tend to pick random). So here's my advice.

Try characters out.

Seriously that's the best way to start. Pick a character, see how it feels to you, maybe put it down on a list if you enjoyed/didn't enjoy, and just keep going til you find some characters you enjoy.

Once you find appealing characters, THEN you can look into maining one or multiple of the ones that you like the best.

D

Deleted member

I'm not really a "mains" kind of guy. I like playing as whoever I feel like playing as at the time. When it comes to local tournaments. I just look up some tutorials of whatever character strikes my fancy at the time a couple of weeks beforehand and get some practice in on what they said (which is a big part of the reason why I never expect to win tournaments =P )

The best advice overall is probably to practice with characters that fit your playstyle and see what ends up working out for you.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I personally main the characters I like. I loved Robin's character in Awakening, so I mained him in Smash 4, and will main him in Ultimate and in future Smash installments if he's still included. Doesn't matter if he's top tier or even bottom tier, so long as he's in the game, he'll be my main, simple as that. So that's my advice to you. Main who you like, who appeals to you. Could be by their character, by their playstyle, or even by their tier list ranking. The game has a multitude of characters to choose from, and has much more characters yet to be revealed, so I'm sure you'll find the perfect character(s) for you eventually.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
Start with characters you like, play them against bots/other players to see if you can figure out how to use them, main the one you like playing the best. This is easy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Try out Mario, Lucina, Luigi and peach. They are faster, more than likely top-high tiers and have easy to moderate learning curves. Or, just main someone you like. I main Zelda, which has reputation of being tr4sh tier, but still enjoy using her. So find someone you like, or start with one of those characters. Or just play a bunch of characters, master them, and narrow down which ones you like best :-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Play the Showdown mode to try out all characters and make your choice yourself. That's the better way to find your main.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Give each of the original eight a try when you first get the game, and as you unlock fighters, give them a try as well. Remember ones you enjoyed playing as you go along. When you get a feel for most of them, you will likely have a good idea of who you want to main.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Kind Dedede. Most worth it out of all characters. Once you get used to him and start winning, you get the privilege of using arguably the best taunt in Smash: Dedede's crouch. And besides he looks B-tier ish in Ultimate thanks to his vastly improved neutral game and approach options.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Kind Dedede. Most worth it out of all characters. Once you get used to him and start winning, you get the privilege of using arguably the best taunt in Smash: Dedede's crouch. And besides he looks B-tier ish in Ultimate thanks to his vastly improved neutral game and approach options.
Speaking of his crouch, it looks like it's even better in Ultimate

GambitGameGuy

Smash Rookie
Play the Showdown mode to try out all characters and make your choice yourself. That's the better way to find your main.
Thanks, I had actually never thought of that, i'll make sure to do that with all the characters I was good with in smash 4

GambitGameGuy

Smash Rookie
Could you give Yoshi a try when you get the game?
I love yoshi, and he's one of my favorite mario characters, but i've played as him in every smash game i've owned, and i just really dont enjoy playing as him. so i doubt I'll pick him, but I will certainly give it a try. P.s. I love your profile picture

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Start off with either Mario or Pit (the two easiest characters to get a feel on what kind of play style you like)

If they don’t work out for you, try characters like Sonic or Zamus

GambitGameGuy

Smash Rookie
What characters do you use in SSB4, and why switch them out in SSBU?
That's the thing, I play :ultlittlemac::ultrob::ultsonic::ultryu::ultgnw:, also good with :ultpokemontrainer: in brawl, (also potentially :ultcloud:, not sure though, never got his dlc.)and and i'm trying to narrow it down to one main. also getting melee soon, don't know who i'll be good with there.

MalachitJR

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2092-6451-4829
If you like light fast characters, Pikachu or pichu are great picks for combos and annoyance lol. Sonic is also good too but he's a little difficult to use imo. Squirtle is pretty agile and mewtwo is tricky fast.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
That's the thing, I play :ultlittlemac::ultrob::ultsonic::ultryu::ultgnw:, also good with :ultpokemontrainer: in brawl, (also potentially :ultcloud:, not sure though, never got his dlc.)and and i'm trying to narrow it down to one main. also getting melee soon, don't know who i'll be good with there.
Sonic's a really good character on the tier list, which probably means there are plenty of match-ups he's capable of dealing with. Although, Pokémon Trainer looks pretty solid in SSBU. ZeRo utilized Ivysaur's aerials very well. I reportedly heard that M2K said he couldn't do anything out of shield, so that's a plus on PT's part. But, I'd probably go with PT if you were good with him in SSBB.

In SSBM, Fox and Falco are pretty much your best characters, although Marth is good as well.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
This is up to you and you alone to decide. We can give you advice, but it's mostly speculation on who is going to be the best in a game not even released yet.

Last edited:

LucR

Smash Rookie
Not very good with heavies, better with faster, lighter characters. All suggestions are appreciated. P.S. will definitely main goku if he gets announced (I know there's like a 5% chance of that happening, just telling you guys what kind of person I am)
Try out every character at least once. Eventually you'll find a character who just clicks with you. I don't have a single main, but I do have a group of about 10 characters that I tend to play the most.

Top Bottom