• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice on the Luigi MU?

Koov

Smash Rookie
So I was on a hot streak on ranked netplay until I ran into a really solid Luigi main. Every time I got him into a combo he'd nair me out of it. He also used his Down B a lot and it always lasted longer than I expected and I failed at figuring out how to punish it. Is it just a really safe move? I couldn't tell if I should be shining or using aerials or what. I'd love some advice because if I ever met a Luigi in tournament I'd be screwed.

CoopDawg88

Smash Rookie
If you get a luigi in a combo, he will nair you out. One thing I do is try to bait out the nairs and then punish.

Jimmymacklein

Smash Rookie
At earlier percents you can crouch cancel Luigi's down b and either shine to get him off stage or upsmash etc. The matchup is kinda tricky. It is a lot of hit and run and you can't really camp lasers because of his crazy movement options. I would recommend trying to find a Luigi main and grinding the matchup out with him. It is a tough matchup to get a grasp of. You can't really upthrow up air Luigi because he will always nair out. I suggest upthrow and baiting the nair and then back airing. Also, unless its the sweet spot, Luigi's up b has no knockback, so don't try to tech the wall. Refreshing your invincibility on ledge is good against Luigi because between his down b, over b, and jump he can stall for awhile. Hope this helps!

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Grabs/lasers/shines at low %. Stay moving so you don't get grabbed, and try not to get CC-dsmash'd. Shield both DownB hits and punish. WD in place OoS if you're having trouble punishing quickly enough. When Luigi is at mid-% you can go for more combos. He's slow enough in the air that you can bait and react to aerials.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
You can crouch cancel all the hitboxes of down b. You can also shield the initial wind-up, then wavedash out of shield to chase Luigi if he slides away with the momentum of the move. It's a pretty unsafe move, and usually Luigi players only use it because it's the main way to shift their aerial momentum outside of using wavelands on platforms.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
You don't fight luigi straight up. You laser, platform camp and shine him off stage. Respect his double jump and shinespike the his special moves.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
It becomes a lot easier to stop jumping into nairs when you get familiar with the amount of hitstun that moves put on Luigi. Once you know that well enough, you should really not challenge a potential Luigi nair EVER except with perfectly timed u-tilt/uair/up-smash.

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Cant stress enough how important WELL SPACED upairs are on him. Uthrow -> Well Spaced Uair flat out beats his nair. Also the instant transmission combo, Shine -> Illusion. This true combos on every member of the cast that can be waveshined including luigi. Depending on percent and DI the illusion will true combo into uair, and at the very least you pop them up into the air to get some juggles started.

Top Bottom