• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice for someone trying to pick up mewtwo

Prestige lv. X2

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to pick up mewtwo in ssb4 but I don't know a lot about approaching options, landing options, etc.

How can I mixup my opponent?

What should I watch out for? What can I avoid?

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
Learning to reliably teleport in whatever direction I choose, and judging distance to ground when doing so (to minimise landing lag by finishing on the ground) opened up my Mewtwo play a huge amount. Ledge cancelling teleport expands on that BIG TIME.

Furthermore, Mewtwo's air dodge is godlike, and can offer some really interesting approaches and approach-stuffers. Mix up AD forward into fair, backward-then-forward fair, backward into FCSB release, and SH straight up into fastfall Nair.

Fastfall Fair is awesome. Falling Uair is also awesome.

Confusion is your new god. the second (in one jump) doesn't alter aerial momentum and can surprise/dismay your opponent, particularly if they are a counter/shield-junkie - the best followup to a successful confusion is shield, but if they don't try to Fair you or tech, consider D-Smash.

SH Disable is underrated for stuffing approaches against all but the largest disjoints.

TheRealSkid

Smash Apprentice
These people are much better at giving technical prowess to me.
But, the advice I will give you is mental advice.
Mewtwo's a hard character. You may lose many sets to people your mains could make quick work of.
Play the character as much as you can and use him in tournament whenever possible. See how the character suits you.
Most importantly, reads and punishes are a big part of playing mewtwo. Your big goal is finding them and using your tools to prevent opponents from landing them on you.
Hope this helps!

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
TheRealSkid speaks truthfully. Mewtwo isn't a character you just pick up and play - you really have to just instinctively know what gaps you can squeeze into and the courage to have a go. To some extent, you need to be patient and wait for your openings as well.

In short - play defensive and watch your opponent carefully. When there is an opening, use your high speed to go on the hard combo offensive, but recognise when you are reaching a bit too far, and drop back into defensive again.

All of this needs to be pure intuition, which will take a while to develop but its all worth it for a justified up-taunt.

"MwaHahahaha"

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Do all of the above and watch other Mewtwo players. Abadango, Rich Brown, Mewsquared, Wadi, etc.

Top Bottom