• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Any advice for a new Peach player?

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Just picked Peach up very recently and was wondering if I could get any advice for starting out with her?

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
Just picked Peach up very recently and was wondering if I could get any advice for starting out with her?
Learn to love training mode.
She's very technical and requires practice.

Oh and for basic tutorials/techniques I'd recommend the youtube channels from EOE and Darkpch.

Last edited:

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Learn to love training mode.
She's very technical and requires practice.

Oh and for basic tutorials/techniques I'd recommend the youtube channels from EOE and Darkpch.
Thanks for the help, starting to get the basics of using her.

Last edited:

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Hello! :) I'm glad you've decided to pick up Peach. I'm bad at teaching but I guess I can throw out random tips??

Peach has kind of a high learning curve, so getting to know her can be pretty tough (maybe discouraging even). One tip off the top of my head is that she's super unique in that she has her float ability, and that's a huge fundamental you'll have to master if you want to play as Peach!

Her float allows her to apply a lot of pressure and (most of the time) approach somewhat safely. Some things to remember about it are...

-You can activate it by holding the jump button after jumping in midair, but an easier way to do it is holding the control stick down and inputting jump. It can be activated this way any time you're in the air (provided of course you haven't used it already). It can even be activated on the ground this way!
-All of Peach's air attacks can be done during float even if she is carrying a throwable item. This means you can pluck a turnip and do your standard air attacks without throwing it.
-Floating above the opponent and doing dair is a great way to pressure shields, and if the opponent is launched, fair can usually connect right afterward at low percents.

Also, Peach is really combo heavy, so the best thing to do is get a feel for all of her attacks and how they work so you can know when to throw them out for good combo strings. Training mode is great for that!

Let me know how your training goes and feel free to ask around if you have any specific questions! <3

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
Hello! :) I'm glad you've decided to pick up Peach. I'm bad at teaching but I guess I can throw out random tips??

Peach has kind of a high learning curve, so getting to know her can be pretty tough (maybe discouraging even). One tip off the top of my head is that she's super unique in that she has her float ability, and that's a huge fundamental you'll have to master if you want to play as Peach!

Her float allows her to apply a lot of pressure and (most of the time) approach somewhat safely. Some things to remember about it are...

-You can activate it by holding the jump button after jumping in midair, but an easier way to do it is holding the control stick down and inputting jump. It can be activated this way any time you're in the air (provided of course you haven't used it already). It can even be activated on the ground this way!
-All of Peach's air attacks can be done during float even if she is carrying a throwable item. This means you can pluck a turnip and do your standard air attacks without throwing it.
-Floating above the opponent and doing dair is a great way to pressure shields, and if the opponent is launched, fair can usually connect right afterward at low percents.

Also, Peach is really combo heavy, so the best thing to do is get a feel for all of her attacks and how they work so you can know when to throw them out for good combo strings. Training mode is great for that!

Let me know how your training goes and feel free to ask around if you have any specific questions! <3
Thanks so much for the help! Would you like to play me and tell me what else I could work on?

ElementUser

Smash Cadet
How good do you know the fundamentals & neutral game? How good are your technical skills in terms of making your character do what you want (don't have to know all the fancy Peach-specific tech right now, but more for characters in general)?

Players tend to give better & more targeted advice when you give a bit of background about yourself.

Last edited:

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
How good do you know the fundamentals & neutral game? How good are your technical skills in terms of making your character do what you want (don't have to know all the fancy Peach-specific tech right now, but more for characters in general)?

Players tend to give better & more targeted advice when you give a bit of background about yourself.
Let's see... I just very recently picked up Peach, about 2 weeks ago.

I just learned how to float over people's shields with her float jump to shield-pressure with down-air, I know her side-tilt is somewhat good for stopping aerial approaches, and I know that I should catch turnips after I hit someone with them and they bounce off. That's pretty much it.

So yeah, I just know the very basic of the basics. And I know all of the basics in Smash in general, just not with Peach.

Last edited:

Diogo Rivers

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1177-8141-2154
hi! super great to so see people starting playing with the baest. i've been playing with her more seriously for like two years. my best advice i can give you is don't rush. play it cool and calm, and watch carefully what the other player is doing, and only go in when you think you can rack up some damage. also practice approaches. my favourite is shorthop-dair and forward turnip throw-dashattack. also join peach discord channels! people there will be glad to help you improve ! <3

ElementUser

Smash Cadet
Let's see... I just very recently picked up Peach, about 2 weeks ago.

I just learned how to float over people's shields with her float jump to shield-pressure with down-air, I know her side-tilt is somewhat good for stopping aerial approaches, and I know that I should catch turnips after I hit someone with them and they bounce off. That's pretty much it.

So yeah, I just know the very basic of the basics. And I know all of the basics in Smash in general, just not with Peach.
That's a good start!

I would say to feel out Peach's moves & aerials so you're more familiar with their range & frame data (i.e. how fast they come out & their end lag). Also figure out autocancel timings (e.g. immediately short-hop + Fair without fast falling will autocancel, fast-falling ground-floated Nair & Bair has very little end lag) and you're more well on your way to Peach.

Also check out EOE's combo videos so you know some basic ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmTMd1lzjU

I still can't do some of the fancy ones, so don't worry about those. The most common combo starters for Peach are DTilt, Dair and Grab -> DThrow. Ground-floated or short-hop fastfall (or JCFF) sour spot Nairs also work, but that's more advanced.

Last edited:

Cardboardtubeknight

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
4914-7294-5851
You'll have to

TURN IT UP

and by that utilize those turnips as best as you can. Especially since you'll have to be technical and strategic.

Last edited:

KirbyFan20

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FlameMaster93
3DS FC
4811-7980-0973
That's a good start!

I would say to feel out Peach's moves & aerials so you're more familiar with their range & frame data (i.e. how fast they come out & their end lag). Also figure out autocancel timings (e.g. immediately short-hop + Fair without fast falling will autocancel, fast-falling ground-floated Nair & Bair has very little end lag) and you're more well on your way to Peach.

Also check out EOE's combo videos so you know some basic ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJmTMd1lzjU

I still can't do some of the fancy ones, so don't worry about those. The most common combo starters for Peach are DTilt, Dair and Grab -> DThrow. Ground-floated or short-hop fastfall (or JCFF) sour spot Nairs also work, but that's more advanced.
Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I'll be able to learn Peach a bit better now :)

One more question, though, what would you say is Peach's best way of dealing with characters with good frame data, like Mario, Diddy Kong, etc.? That seems to be where I struggle the most at the moment, and it feels like I can hardly ever do anything against them.

Glitchy_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintend0pr0
Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I'll be able to learn Peach a bit better now :)

One more question, though, what would you say is Peach's best way of dealing with characters with good frame data, like Mario, Diddy Kong, etc.? That seems to be where I struggle the most at the moment, and it feels like I can hardly ever do anything against them.
Probably the same way you basicly always fight... Use a turnip and save areals.

Top Bottom