• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anti Stalling Rule (Modified LGL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Pokemon is very random.

You'll realise that when you make your opponent flinch like 10 turns in a row from a move that has a 60% of making them flinch....
Or when you get a critical that completely turns the match around.
Thank you!!!

Tripping doesn't have a set chance of happening. There is no "45% chance that your character will trip" or any of that jazz. Your character either randomly trips, or randomly doesn't. That's what Rippe (who by the way, should change his name back :glare:) is saying.

Life

Smash Hero
Tripping's set chance is 1% unless you're non-Icies and on ice. Data has been collected.

Also, at the above post (SMJ ninja'd me), what's the chances of winning the lotto?

Tripping's set chance is 1% unless you're non-Icies and on ice. Data has been collected.
Was that data pulled from the game disc itself, or was that a conclusion reached after some guy ran a test in training mode or something of the sort?

Just wanna know. :)

Then that would be a 1 in 2 chance of your character tripping
Noooo you're just listing options. Your character can either do this, or that. What you aren't taking into account is the probability of one of those actually happening, and if one option is more likely to happen than the other.

Sure, you character can either trip, or not trip, but not tripping happens WAAAAAY more than tripping, therefore, it is more likely that you trip than if you don't trip.

Life

Smash Hero
SMJ stop pretending I'm arguing for you, lol.

The tripping thing... some guy back in 08 did a huge test to determine the trip rate under various circumstances and got ~.9%. We all rounded it up to 1.

If that's not enough for you, go ask over in Workshop General.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
There's a 1% of tripping every time you dash. (2% for Luigi?)

Just like in Pokemon a move has 55% of hitting or something.

Edit: Should refresh the page before I post >.>

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Well Pokemon never states the chance that moves will have their secondary effects as far as I know...
So that's a legitimate comparison.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master

The tripping thing... some guy back in 08 did a huge test to determine the trip rate under various circumstances and got ~.9%. We all rounded it up to 1.

You can't argue with the facts

Wait why are we talking about tripping?

I thought this thread was about LGLs.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master

Because players want to add another random element by introducing food into competitive play. I say we should go with a LGL since it doesn't add more randomness to the game

Ghostbone

Smash Master
But a LGL has a whole bunch of other problems that are a lot worse than the small randomness food has.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
But a LGL has a whole bunch of other problems that are a lot worse than the small randomness food has.
But food effects every player, even those who aren't trying to stall. I could see more matches going to time if both players don't approach and have no projectiles. in this situation, not even the player with a percentage lead has the advantage. It all comes down to where the food lands

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Food promotes offence, you want control of the stage to maximise the amount you get.

I don't see how that's a bad thing, considering how much people complain about how Brawl is campy....

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Jebus, all possible support for this LGL adjustment ended on page one. A good rule is one that is constantly agreed to be successful. Not happening right now...

Action outside a simple LGL is unnecessary. Time-outs are only a small minority amongst the masses of wins by stock elimination, so are they really a big enough problem to reinvent the LGL? If time-outs by planking are truly such a massive problem then simply lowering the amount of ledge grabs should be enough to solve the problem.

Or we could just RPS in the case of a time out to decide the winner. :troll:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Food promotes offence, you want control of the stage to maximise the amount you get.

I don't see how that's a bad thing, considering how much people complain about how Brawl is campy....
Percentage leads force approaches. The player who approaches is usually at a disadvantage. If a player is behind in percentages all he has to do is either wait for the opponent to approach (putting him at an advantage) or wait for food to appear in front of him

Life

Smash Hero
And I find that the MICROSCOPIC element of randomness introduced by food takes away less competition than you gain back via MK not being banworthy anymore.

Mass ninja, thanks livetopic <_<

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
tripping, it either happens or it doesn't

50/50%

:troll:

Kuares

Pizza
What's a problem with a consecutive ledge grab rule?

Just have someone scream to a ref is their opponent goes over 5 consecutive ledge grabs. Then since most of the tournaments have infinity replay alot of the times, watch the replay, if someone lied or the rule really was broken, that person'd lose the set.

Just have someone scream to a ref is their opponent goes over 5 consecutive ledge grabs. Then since most of the tournaments have infinity replay alot of the times. Then, watching the replay, if someone lied or the rule really was broken, that person'd lose the set.
Toon Link would never win a match. He would either keep on getting disqualified for racking up ledge grabs against good edgeguarders, or get killed early for being forced into unsafe situations.

Plus, the whole thing is sketchy since not ALL Wiis are hacked, and not all tournaments have referees that you can call over at will. If you can't prove it ever happened, then there is no case. If TOs or refs are giving warnings regardless, one could abuse that and win matches by technicality.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

Just have someone scream to a ref is their opponent goes over 5 consecutive ledge grabs. Then since most of the tournaments have infinity replay alot of the times, watch the replay, if someone lied or the rule really was broken, that person'd lose the set.

because after 4 grabs if an opponent tries to get up from the ledge by just double jumping and you hit them off back to the ledge then's that's #5 and they lose

Tesh

Smash Hero
let's take hyponosis. it has a 70% chance of putting the opponent to sleep.

is that random? no

and criticals ALWAYS have a chance of happening. its a %. and that % happens. its not random

but just in case you are, having a "chance" at something happening in a video game is random. A 70% chance of an effect in pokemon isn't like a 70% chance of rain. it IS random. The game doesn't tell you its going to be 7 burns then 3 not burns on your flamethrower for example. Tripping has a 1ish percent chance of happening each time you dash or turn around while dashing.
Thank you!!!

Also, at the above post (SMJ ninja'd me), what's the chances of winning the lotto?
mmhmm

Well Pokemon never states the chance that moves will have their secondary effects as far as I know...
So that's a legitimate comparison.
doesn't really matter what the game tells us, what matters if what we can know.

THIS, people always complain about how campy the game is and how new ways to stall pop up all the time. So far there is no way to stall while maintaining stage controls. Items originally kept that under control, and a mild item set would continue to do that without harming out way of playing.
Percentage leads force approaches. The player who approaches is usually at a disadvantage. If a player is behind in percentages all he has to do is either wait for the opponent to approach (putting him at an advantage) or wait for food to appear in front of him
If you are behind in percents and you manage to take stage control, then you deserve the food. The chances of you hiding by the edge and food spawning closer to you than to your opponent (who has stage control) is lousy. For every time food spawns close to your corner, it will spawn 4 or 5 times between you, in front of him, behind him, above him on a platform.

tripping, it either happens or it doesn't

50/50%

:troll:
Oh so now you because you are wrong, you were just trolling?

@ Kaures, if I'm on the ledge recovering and Snake is on stage blowing stuff up like crazy, I may have to grab the ledge and wait for the right time to make it through. Or what if I am one of a dozen characters that suffers badly from RCO lag? Then I might need to be more patient on the ledge to recover. Its bad for the same reason universal LGLs are bad. Sometimes people just get screwed over for being patient on the ledge instead of stalling. I grab the ledge ALOT with Ganon when recovering, doesn't make it broken.

Lets ban spotdodging too because "OMFG THAT GUY WERE COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE FOR HALF A SECOND"

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
When playing with food, The player with more damage can just wait for the opponent to approach while eating any food that falls close to him. If both players continue this, eventually they will both be at 0% and back to square one. if the player with the percentage lead cracks under the pressure and approaches, he might be put at a disadvantage. This rule set will force the wrong players to make the approaches.

Choice

Smash Champion
the wrong players to make an approach according to you, theres not necessarily any set right or wrong in terms of who should approach nor any rule that the person behind should approach. have you ever attempted at playing serious matches with food jebus?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
do you honestly know how long it'll take someone to heal even 50% with food on low?

like over 2 min. people aren't going to just not do anything to each other for that long

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
the wrong players to make an approach according to you, theres not necessarily any set right or wrong in terms of who should approach nor any rule that the person behind should approach. have you ever attempted at playing serious matches with food jebus?
If my character doesn't have a projectile and I am behind in percentage, then I will be forced to either approach or lose the match. this wouldn't happen if we played with food on. I have played with food on. It's not the same game.

Choice

Smash Champion
you didnt answer my question jebus. you just repeated your argument.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
No one really has to approach. If the match goes to time, the player with the least amount of damage is declared the winner. The player who is behind doesn't really have much of a choice if his opponent isn't planning on approaching

Choice

Smash Champion
no no, this is the question:
have you ever attempted at playing serious matches with food jebus?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I answered that question. I have played with items. It's not the same game. I don't see how it is any different from playing with an air time rule or with the damage ratio changed to 1.1.

Kantrip

Kantplay
It would be indefinately better with sandbags, because then you wouldn't accidentally pick up, and you would have to hit it to get your food. Also, adds strategy in the form of beating sandbag to reset stale moves.

Also, we should play with smash balls. The better player gets it, and then they get an advantage for it.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
It would be indefinately better with sandbags, because then you wouldn't accidentally pick up, and you would have to hit it to get your food. Also, adds strategy in the form of beating sandbag to reset stale moves.

Also, we should play with smash balls. The better player gets it, and then they get an advantage for it.
Messes up characters with projectiles. Their opponents can hide behind the sandbags and pick up the food if they shoot them

Kantrip

Kantplay
That's why we should also turn on Laser Guns, so nobody needs to hide behind Bob. Everyone will have access to projectiles! :awesome:

I personally don't like it, and I don't think it will be adopted by others over the current LGL rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom