• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Answered] what do you do after a down throw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man of shame

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ManOfShame
Personally I like to jab and then re grab at low percents then I do N-airs to mix it up and if I notice that they air dodge frequently I wait for them to land then hit them with a F-smash.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Depend on what options my opponents picks after I d throw them

Personally with marth ,I like charging forward smash or Shieldbreaker b after they air dodge. Nice easy percentage. :)

Last edited:

Hickz

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hickz_31
I usually wait and d-tilt, but most of the time, I use f-throw

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Few things I'll do

dthow > jab > regrab > % dependent follow up
dthrow > utilt > followup

ftilt works for a good % as well

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I prefer to down throw into up tilt --> jab which leads into a follow up like grab, dash attack or dtilt. It is usually dependent on how my opponent DI's. After the first grab I Fthrow usually.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Dthrow > jab > regrab if fastfaller

Dthrow > tilt if not fastfaller

Dthrow > nair / fair for damage at mid/high percents

Dthrow > bait airdodge > fsmash as a mixup

Last edited:

Perris6

Smash Journeyman

This is usually my exact way of going about the grab game lol, just mix in some fthrows to mix up opponent di

recme

Smash Cadet
NNID
recolorme
3DS FC
4871-4881-3739
if at low percents, i do dthrow -> jab ftilt, dthrow -> jab jab, or dthrow -> utilt

if at medium percents, i do dthrow -> uair or dthrow -> fsmash. you can probably do dthrow -> running usmash, but it always ends up missing if you always forget to charge it a bit after they air dodge.

if at high-ish percents, i do dthrow -> uair. if they end up airdodging, go for the fsmash.

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I sometimes go for Dthrow --> jab --> ftilt --> Nair. Which resets the neutral.

ViviLion

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3224-2888
anything, i do whatever i decide to mash, considering you can downthrow into anything, everything works, except downthrow into counter

DON'T DO THAT IT'S STUPID YOU LOSE GAMES BECAUSE OF THAT DON'T DO IT

totally not speaking from experience, totally

Azazel

Smash Journeyman
I D-throw > FH buffered U-air, because true combo and super reliable regardless of DI and juggle potential

Last edited:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
At low %'s Dthrow > jab > DED or Dthrow > Ftilt/Utilt

Mid %'s Dthrow > Uair or Fsmash if I feel they will airdodge

Sometimes at Mid/High %'s they will jump away after Dthrow so I will just go punish their landing.

Blue_Edge

Smash Rookie
At mid through high percentage after trying some baits into f smash after d throw I then forward throw into b reversed neutral b. It is pretty safe, and it is a sick punish if they try to tech behind you.

FullOfGore

Smash Rookie
NNID
Scardonian
Depends on what character they are using. It's mostly d-throw > u-tilt/uair/blazer (though I dunno if d-throw to blazer is a true combo). I've even managed to do d-throw > u-tilt > jab > re-grab > d-throw > nair on link a few times when roy was at around 5% and link was 0%, but again I'm not sure if that is actually a true combo.

ViviLion

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3224-2888
Depends on what character they are using. It's mostly d-throw > u-tilt/uair/blazer (though I dunno if d-throw to blazer is a true combo). I've even managed to do d-throw > u-tilt > jab > re-grab > d-throw > nair on link a few times when roy was at around 5% and link was 0%, but again I'm not sure if that is actually a true combo.
d-throw > blazer can be air dodged, but that being said, it's a great way to set up a pattern in order to bait that airdodge for a f-smash:

http://share.gifyoutube.com/vqVlpX.gif

S.O.D.

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Womb#406
Personally, i like doing the d-throw to jab and and re-grab, another one it like is d-throw to u-air. this is a very useful one because at low percents you sweet spot the hit easily, you can then go into another move from that point such as a n-air, f-air, u-air (b-air and d-air could work too but i haven't tried it) My favorite to use is f-throw to dash attack, this works very well on low percents and you can also get an easy sweet spot for more damage, the only downside is at higher percents the throw knocks them away to far to follow up, and some players will tech forwards or backwards:4feroy:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
If it's a big character who airdodges a lot, I Dthrow > Usmash.

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Interesting how few people are talking about d-throw to blazer, as it's always a "staple" in the guides that I've read. It seems most people expect it now so I agree with previous posters that a lot of its value comes from baiting air dodges for f-smashes.

Along those line, I find that even when I bait an air dodge the person can still get their shield up in time for the fsmash, which then leads to me getting punished. Any hints on how to ensure that timing is correct? Am I just late?

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
Interesting how few people are talking about d-throw to blazer, as it's always a "staple" in the guides that I've read. It seems most people expect it now so I agree with previous posters that a lot of its value comes from baiting air dodges for f-smashes.

Along those line, I find that even when I bait an air dodge the person can still get their shield up in time for the fsmash, which then leads to me getting punished. Any hints on how to ensure that timing is correct? Am I just late?
You might be a little late. Also take into account the character's weight. If it is a fast Faller or character like Fox or Sheik then u might want to tack on more percent

Tael_LInk

Smash Rookie
I usually jab with no rage, and with rage I up tilt, and then depending on the players habits, I either wait for an airdodge or jump and react accordingly, or just spam up tilt until I can't and then I start an aerial juggle.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166

Gonna add to this dthrow > usmash as a mixup also.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Usually D-Throw -> Jab or U-Tilt -> SH N-Air -> F-Tilt. Later %s I mostly F-Tilt on fastfallers, F-Air on lightweights and U-Air in higher %s.

I mostly use the D-Throw for trapping/baiting purposes though, using the waiting/trapping maneuvers first to throw my opponent's predictions off - later on I mix it up with actual D-Throw Combos in good margin if getting the opponent conditioned to airdodging or not have much idea how to react how I act.

Last edited:

TealOpal

Smash Rookie
NNID
TealOpal
3DS FC
4468-1543-2301
If at low percentages, I follow up a down throw with Blazer. If at high percentages, I follow it up with either n-air or f-air, dependant on how they move after the throw. Maybe even an up smash of I'm feeling daring.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
I notice that good players simply jump away after I d-throw them (not sure if this is mostly damage/character specific, but I've seen Ryu's jump away and I think he's considered a heavy fast faller). When I double jump and try to do an aerial, they have time to air dodge it. Is there any reliable way to hit them after they jump away from d-throw?

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I notice that good players simply jump away after I d-throw them (not sure if this is mostly damage/character specific, but I've seen Ryu's jump away and I think he's considered a heavy fast faller). When I double jump and try to do an aerial, they have time to air dodge it. Is there any reliable way to hit them after they jump away from d-throw?
Besides anticipating a jump and punishing, no. Just trap their landing or switch up your throw to a Fthrow

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Don't know if anyone tried this but, if you SH fair and immediately input another move, you cancel the fair landing lag. I think it only works with his specials and the second jump, but that's what I do sometimes just to carry my opponent across the stage at somewhat low percents off a throw.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Don't know if anyone tried this but, if you SH fair and immediately input another move, you cancel the fair landing lag. I think it only works with his specials and the second jump, but that's what I do sometimes just to carry my opponent across the stage at somewhat low percents off a throw.
Do you mean like being able to jump before landing with a short hop fair? Yeah, it's known. Called IASA frames (interruptible as soon as) meaning you could cancel the move with an input before the animation ends. You don't really cancel the landing lag.

Solutionme

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolutionMe
Do you mean like being able to jump before landing with a short hop fair? Yeah, it's known. Called IASA frames (interruptible as soon as) meaning you could cancel the move with an input before the animation ends. You don't really cancel the landing lag.
More like avoid it but yeah, I like to do that to carry someone through the entire stage if they DI poorly.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
What damage does utilt stop working for all the different weight classes? Utilt doesn't even work on some characters (jiggly, Rosa, Zelda etc.) correct?

Goobgoyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
RWolffe
3DS FC
3394-3566-2944
On a few occasions, I've managed to DThrow>Jab>Regrab across the stage, then FThrow>DAir when FThrow sends them a bit off stage. Don't think that would work on good players, though

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
d throw-upsmash
d throw-uptilt
d throw-nair
jab-d throw-uptilt-upsmash

these all work at different percents, mostly 0-30%

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
On For Glory a lot of people will air dodge, which I like to punish with a charged F-smash.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Depends completely upon the opponents fall speed. If they fall average or faster, I usually do a jab and then bait airdodges for fsmash or i'll go for a regrab. If they fall any slower than Mario though, I almost exclusively just do a tilt or up air. It's just too easy for them to get out of regrab setups etc.

Personally, I think this weakness to floaties is why the Marth matchup is so awful for Roy. A lot of Roy's most reliable and powerful setups just don't work vs him. You miss out on the best jab and dthrow followups, and Marth having a longer reaching jab is a real problem as of two patches ago. It's not horrid but it's noticeably in Marth's favor. The same weaknesses apply to most floaty matchups. I think Roy excels vs fast fallers and mediums though.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Down throw to up tilt.

Down throw to forward tilt

Down throw to up smash

It all depends on the damage percentage my opponent has.

WEEGEEplus1

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2398-7575-3158
Jab to regrab is pretty good. But I usually jab to f-tilt.

I like nair because it's possible to follow up with another nair or two.

I used to down throw to up b which is alright for damage but you can't really follow up with it, as far as I know.
(You probably know this but of you didn't up b kills around 120%)

You could also do a charged smash or flare blitz if you read their air dodge.

Hope this helped someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom