• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another Year: Smash 4 Results at EVO 2016

A year of storylines led up to the largest tournament in the game's history. Super Smash Bros. Wii U, the second grand finals event at EVO 2016, has concluded and with it, another year of the game in the world of eSports.

This being his third attendance at the annual Las Vegas-based tournament series (previous ones being 2009 and 2015), Elliot "Ally" Carroza-Oyarce (:4mario:) won his first EVO ever. Running through a bracket stacked with threats like Yuta "Abadango" Kawamura, who defeated him at Pound, he's also won his second major of the summer, Get On My Level 2016 being the first.

Smash 4 Results @ EVO 2016:
1st - Elliot "Ally" Carroza-Oyarce (:4mario:)
2nd - Takuto "Kamemushi" Ono (:4megaman::4yoshi::4cloud:)
3rd - Gonzalo "TSM | ZeRo" Barrios (:4diddy::4sheik:)
4th - James "CLG | VoiD" Makekau-Tyson (:4sheik:)
5th - Hayashi "Ranai" Ryuto (:4villager:)
5th - Yuta "Abadango" Kawamura (:4mewtwo::rosalina:)
7th - Samuel "dT | Dabuz" Buzby (:rosalina:)
7th - Larry "eLv | Larry Lurr" Holland (:4fox:)

For more coverage on EVO 2016, stay tuned on Smashboards. Credits to Lyric (@emformz) for the images.

Last edited:

Comments

Kamemushi's Mega Man was a sight to behold. Amazing play for sure.

That Ranai vs Dabuz match was nail biting to the very end.

Can't believe after all the Marvel crossover games we FINALLY got Mega Man vs. Zero. :awesome:

(in loser's finals no less)

Good work to my favorite Brawl player ever Ally though. He was a man on a mission, and he did not drop many games. Incredible job.

Kinda funny though how Yoshi and Mega Man, two characters some people infer are mid tiers or worse, were in Grand Finals, and yet Cloud, Ryu, Sheik, Diddy Kong, Bayonetta, Pikachu, etc. etc. etc. were not.

The 2016 metagame is insane for this game.

Ally vs Kamemushi......

'Twas a sight to behold
Wasn't at all exciting to me. Simply Ally bodying Kame with his stupidly better character. It's not like Kame could do anything anyway when he just died from invincible usmash @110 everytime and couldn't kill Ally til like 190 with a grab. And on top of that Ally could kill Kame with a grab @160, totally boring to watch when it was so obvious who was going to win. The second ZeRo went down I thought "well, looks like Ally will take this for free" & that's what happened. Disappointing.

Yo real talk tho, Kamemushi has a Yoshi, and he got 2nd place.

The Yoshi nation is one step ahead :)

Last edited:
Kameme pulled a Leo and jinxed his callout tweet, LOL. At least he came close to keeping his promise.

I'm personally really glad that Megaman appeared in the top 2. It's always nice to see mid tiers and low tiers getting the spotlight.

Again who is this Kamemushi guy? He must be like one of these out of nowhere kids that no one has ever heard of, the fact he came in second is pretty impresive.

Wasn't at all exciting to me. Simply Ally bodying Kame with his stupidly better character. It's not like Kame could do anything anyway when he just died from invincible usmash @110 everytime and couldn't kill Ally til like 190 with a grab. And on top of that Ally could kill Kame with a grab @160, totally boring to watch when it was so obvious who was going to win. The second ZeRo went down I thought "well, looks like Ally will take this for free" & that's what happened. Disappointing.
Only Mario's head is intangible during his usmash.

He tore through plenty of other people playing great characters, I don't think that's quite it.

Again who is this Kamemushi guy? He must be like one of these out of nowhere kids that no one has ever heard of, the fact he came in second is pretty impresive.
I find your ignorance amusing.

Real talk though, Kamemushi is probably the best player in Japan right now. I'm amazed you haven't heard of him.

Kame had a Yoshi and a Cloud and pulled them both out during top 8, and they both got bodied.

Last edited:
D
I was pretty damn impressed by how far Kamemushi made it with his Mega Man. He didn't win first, but his performance will leave quite an impression on a lot of people.

Congrats to Ally on the victory!

I'm honestly disappointed that a Mario won this tournament because Mario is one of my most hated characters. I really wanted to see a Rosalina or a Mewtwo take the spotlight, so of course I was rooting for Dabuz and Abadango. Damn.

Of all the characters to get salty over, you choose Mario? XD

Of all the characters to get salty over, you choose Mario? XD
I mean I see my fair amount of salt over mario. It's hard to argue mario isn't top 5 right now. His upsmash is really really dumb and he gets free and safe edgeguards with cape and flood. And don't even get me started on his frame data...that nair...

I find your ignorance amusing.

Real talk though, Kamemushi is probably the best player in Japan right now. I'm amazed you haven't heard of him.
Not until Evo, in all the major tourneys I've seen not once has Kame's name came up. That's why I assumed that this unbelievable Megaman was an entirely new player. How do you know him???

Not until Evo, in all the major tourneys I've seen not once has Kame's name came up. That's why I assumed that this unbelievable Megaman was an entirely new player. How do you know him???
I make an effort to follow Japan, so I'm subscribed to Shi-G on Youtube (pretty much japan's VGBootCamp).
Here, I've gotten you a few japanese sets of Kame for your viewing pleasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJzcQclAkyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH2UMQuHEzk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAki5IfVDOg

If I recall correctly, Kameme had only attended tournaments in Japan before coming to the U.S. for EVO. He was the most consistent player in the country and has the top spot on the Umebura Smash 4 Power Rankings (Japanese power rankings).

Kamemushi played one hell of a Megaman, but there was no way he was ever going to beat Ally. Mario just seems like a hard-counter to Megaman.

I thought Loser's Finals against Zero was pretty hype though.

Seems as if Ally is going to be the new king of smash 4 if he keeps this bullcrap Mario up. Seriously get on my level, almost CEO EVO now he's a top contender against Zero

Of course, and it doesn't matter the game with its lunar gravity is overall boring as hell and the attempt to entertain it by choosing paced player is just ridiculous. legalize PM3.6!

Of course, and it doesn't matter the game with its lunar gravity is overall boring as hell and the attempt to entertain it by choosing paced player is just ridiculous. legalize PM3.6!
If you don't like a game, you don't have to watch it or waste your time making a post on how much you don't like the game.

Seems as if Ally is going to be the new king of smash 4 if he keeps this bullcrap Mario up. Seriously get on my level, almost CEO EVO now he's a top contender against Zero
If he didn't finish 49th or whatever it was at that last national he'd have a very strong argument for #1. But as is, ZeRo is still #1 based on results post 1.1.6 pretty easily. Top 3 at all tourneys and one 9th. I'd say Zero, Ally and Dabuz are the top 3 right now in that order.

Last edited:
If you don't like a game, you don't have to watch it or waste your time making a post on how much you don't like the game.
Of course i do. As anyone can say he doesn't like a particular character for various reasons , anyone can say he doesn't like a particular game for any reason he founds.
i didn't said the game doesn't deserve to exist, for course not. It's a fun game and the most beautiful smash game.

Here we go, here comes all the Mario salt, and the "Nerf Mario" comments.

Mario winning things now isn't because he is overly powerful; Ally has been using Mario since the game released. The simple fact is that Ally has improved immensely over the past 6 months or so (that, and the fact that Sheik no longer exists in the form she used to).

Mario is great; he has overall good mobility, great approach options, great combo potential, and can be annoyingly tough to punish at times.

Even then, Mario has flaws. His below average damage output keeps his combo game from being oppressive, something that made Luigi's combo game relatively unfair pre-patch, for example. His poor range gives him particular trouble against disjoints such as Cloud, and in particular, Marth, as these characters can both outrange him, or use quick sword pokes to keep him safely at bay.

Mario's biggest flaw however, is that he has no reliable KO setup like most top tiers. He must rely on landing that raw KO move, like Back Air or Up Smash to net the KO. Sure, his invincible head Up Smash can be annoying, he has to fish for it, and the opponent knows it's coming, making him predictable.

Mario is a fantastic character, but is definitely in need of NO nerfs. In fact, no character in the game really needs nerfs right now. It's hard to determine who exactly the best character in the game is. There are at least 4 characters on somewhat the same level, and an argument can be made for each of them.

That's what makes Smash 4 so exciting. The overall level of balance near the top makes impossible to predict what matchups we will see at the top of tournaments. Sheik v ZSS? What about Cloud v Diddy? Even now, we had Mario v Mega Man. The character diversity is also beautiful to see. 14 different characters within the top 16 of Evo.

That's what makes Smash 4 so exciting. The overall level of balance near the top makes impossible to predict what matchups we will see at the top of tournaments. Sheik v ZSS? What about Cloud v Diddy? Even now, we had Mario v Mega Man. The character diversity is also beautiful to see. 14 different characters within the top 16 of Evo.
I don't know if this is suppose to be ironic or true, minus the recent EVO final, which again was badass. I just say that since lately it's been all Diddy, or ZSS, or Shiek, heck even Mario pops up every major tourney final he gets, Those top tiers all have a very significant chance of appearing in a final at every tourney that comes to mind even the minor tournaments. This might be out of subject or has no support of my side of the argument, but was one of those top 16 a Corrin main???

I don't know if this is suppose to be ironic or true, minus the recent EVO final, which again was badass. I just say that since lately it's been all Diddy, or ZSS, or Shiek, heck even Mario pops up every major tourney final he gets, Those top tiers all have a very significant chance of appearing in a final at every tourney that comes to mind even the minor tournaments. This might be out of subject or has no support of my side of the argument, but was one of those top 16 a Corrin main???
Unfortunately, Corrin hasn't appeared in top 16 of any major tournament recently, if at all.

Corrin's good, but he's not fantastic like initially thought.

I mean I see my fair amount of salt over mario. It's hard to argue mario isn't top 5 right now. His upsmash is really really dumb and he gets free and safe edgeguards with cape and flood. And don't even get me started on his frame data...that nair...
Luigi's N Air is the worst

Here we go, here comes all the Mario salt, and the "Nerf Mario" comments.

Mario winning things now isn't because he is overly powerful; Ally has been using Mario since the game released. The simple fact is that Ally has improved immensely over the past 6 months or so (that, and the fact that Sheik no longer exists in the form she used to).

Mario is great; he has overall good mobility, great approach options, great combo potential, and can be annoyingly tough to punish at times.

Even then, Mario has flaws. His below average damage output keeps his combo game from being oppressive, something that made Luigi's combo game relatively unfair pre-patch, for example. His poor range gives him particular trouble against disjoints such as Cloud, and in particular, Marth, as these characters can both outrange him, or use quick sword pokes to keep him safely at bay.

Mario's biggest flaw however, is that he has no reliable KO setup like most top tiers. He must rely on landing that raw KO move, like Back Air or Up Smash to net the KO. Sure, his invincible head Up Smash can be annoying, he has to fish for it, and the opponent knows it's coming, making him predictable.

Mario is a fantastic character, but is definitely in need of NO nerfs. In fact, no character in the game really needs nerfs right now. It's hard to determine who exactly the best character in the game is. There are at least 4 characters on somewhat the same level, and an argument can be made for each of them.

Lol you said balance what is that. if it was balanced we woulnd need patches. Melee is still a more solid game. (satire dont go off on me i agree with you)

Top Bottom