• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another new ice climbers tech/option

GastricFluid

Smash Rookie
As most of the players that are reading on this forum already know, if you sweetspot the ledge with the start-up of the ice climber up-b popo will grab the ledge while nana is flung upwards. What many of you may not know is that if you sweetspot the ledge with this move while facing away from the ledge, nana will be flung very quickly horizontally across the stage, still retaining her hitbox from the move. The best stage to use this function of the up-b is on pokemon stadium where nana will fly across the top of the platform closest to the edge you up-b'd from, tagging any player that is camping the ledge with a rather strong hitbox.

This can be used in conjunction with an extremely consistent and easy way to pull off the single climber sweetspot. Simply run off the edge an immediately up-b. If you do not turn around when you up-b you should see nana flying across at least half the stage, unless it's FD, while popo sits on the edge.

This can be used as a very safe way to put out the extremely powerful kill option of up-b, have the hitbox cover a large amount of space, and give popo some invincibility frames. By all means this should be a very niche option but can take an opponent by surprise if used sparingly.

Last edited:

GastricFluid

Smash Rookie
If you attempt this tech from the ledge I believe it will just activate the teather mechanic unless you double jump out of a ledgedrop then wait to be right above the ledge to up-b. The tech should work if you reverse up-b at that point, but it seems like this is extremely risky compared to other options ice climbers have on the ledge.
how about when ur already on the ledge?

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
Actually been doing this and have footage of this being done in tournament. This sneaky move gets me kills because nobody expects Nana to catapault across the stage while Popo is still hanging on legde. Also good when people are over you while your on the ledge.

I wavedash back and before both climbers can touch the ledge, nana belays instead.

Also, if you time the Up-B while parallel to the ledge, Nana will belay in a straight upward position.

GastricFluid

Smash Rookie
Actually been doing this and have footage of this being done in tournament. This sneaky move gets me kills because nobody expects Nana to catapault across the stage while Popo is still hanging on legde. Also good when people are over you while your on the ledge.

I wavedash back and before both climbers can touch the ledge, nana belays instead.

Also, if you time the Up-B while parallel to the ledge, Nana will belay in a straight upward position.
Cool, good to see something like this is already known and being put to use :). I really feel that it does open some kill options until ice climbers are learned more by other players (because of how slow nana is during the catapult). I wounder how many other weird techs there are; ice climbers players should really collaborate on a list of PM techs to help further everyone's gameplay.

Phresh123

Smash Apprentice
I actually been thinking about making a tech video once I meet up with my boy @Luis Alonso again. Should make a thread based off tech videos only. I see alot of videos around youtube that shows desync's and grabs. We should compile them all into one thread, with new videos included. That should help us all out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom