• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Another FC

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
So I'm on the verge of booking a venue for another FC. Squared, Joshu, and I are all pretty excited to run another one. I've got at least two promising options for venues, so it's looking good so far.

Can anyone fill me in on what other major summer events are already planned for July/August (for Melee primarily, though avoiding all would be good)? I don't want to step on anyone's toes right off the bat.

I'll save that for later.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
inb4everystageislegal

I don't think there's anything planned of like a Genesis level. What region would you be looking at, Midwest?

KishPrime

BRoomer
inb4everystageislegal
Haha, I wish, but we've always used national standards for FC. :p I guarantee nothing in terms of side tournaments, though.

Yeah, we'd just hold it here where we've always held it, glorious South Bend, IN. Frankly, I can barely get the numbers to make sense here, much less in a big-city-venue. Don't know how people have made it work.

Right now, July 15-17 looks like a decent possibility, though that's at like 25% and other dates are at 20%. August 12-14 is another possibility. I'd probably rather slap it in August if only to give another good month to prep, but there's nothing wrong with July.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
In doesn't have that much of an impact on the US scene, but we're holding a major tournament in Norway from July 13 to July 15.
Holding a FC at the same time would mean most Europeans wouldn't come, and additionally, it would ruin our chances to have North American players attending (a fun is being done at the moment to make PP fly to Norway).

So if you could avoid it, it would be great.

Also, I'd love to attend.

KishPrime

BRoomer
The month...what the?

Just to set expectations, no housing or food in the venue this time around. We just want to run one heck of a tournament/reunion with maybe a few surprises. I've got one venue pretty much locked up if it turns out to be the best option we've got - it's a normal, MLG-style hotel venue. It'll work, but it's nothing amazing.

The second venue is the new ND Hockey Arena...which would be unbelievable. Conversation was going well...until they said they have 6 power outlets in the whole upper deck. -_- Jeff said to check on the amperage ratings and that it might still work, so we'll see. It would be awesome, but not counting on it right now. However, temp might be an issue. We'd be 4 stories removed from the ice but it's still cool, for obvious reasons.

Have a couple other options on the back burner as well, but the hotel probably outclasses them. Biggest thing is to really narrow down the attendance. If this thing has a chance to push 350-400, the hotel makes the most sense by far. If we're looking at 150 max, then I need to shift down a notch. I'm trying to plan for 200-250 with room for expansion. Do those numbers make sense nowadays?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yes the entire month. I won't take any chances on my schedule for this thing. Gotta get some practice in too. I never dreamed of another FC actually happening.

KishPrime

BRoomer
It's entirely possible/likely that it will make some kind of appearance, though not in the main tournament. I'm torn between using that and just going with good old Snexus 2 items-on, no neutral stage list. This is supposed to get in touch with history.

D

Deleted member

i've already given you my stance. a word though, if you're going to go with a hotel, i'd ask for all of the costs to be paid for 3+ weeks in advance via paypal just to be sure that there's no sketchy math, which has been the ruin of bigger TOs the last few years. I have no doubt in your ability as a host, but if "safety first" is worth being a motto it certainly applies here.

i know i'd personally be okay with upwards of $200 to enter + hotel + venue fee, excluding transportation costs and food. there might be some benefit to you to scale the cost of attendance that high to reduce the amount of players or to have a cash pool if something comes up (and it always does). i know you'd want a lot of players, but at some point it's just too many humans and the FC tag will do it better than anything else would.

LLDL

Smash Hero
This would definitely give me incentive to go Midwest. Looks more...mid-east to me..lol

Also as long as you give ample time between the announcement and the tournament, those numbers (200-250) don't seem too far off from what I would expect. Something that bothers me, a lot of the newer players might not get hyped, they won't recognize the name for what it is. What can ya do though.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Interesting that you all are going that direction. On the contrary, my (totally unrealistic) goal was to break 400 - we hated capping it last time and we have the experience to handle the size. We did 256 without problems before. I've got it mapped out for multiple lines of cost, depending on attendance. More than anything else, we want this to be a reunion for anyone who can make it. We handled 256 without a problem, and we can scale it from that. That said, with our location and the current state of things, I'm not expecting more than 250. If I get more than that, though, I'll happily embrace it.

We did everything prepaid via Paypal last time to have the budget totally set and would do so again. Because of that, I'm not worried about the math working out. Like I said, as long as we break 180, we'll be fine with this venue and have decent prizes (and we don't have a hotel room minimum or any escalators like Pound did). Given the attendance for SMYM was like 90 just a few weeks ago, I think we can pull that, just wanted to make sure it wasn't crazy.

With $60 for full-entry (would rather do $75, but that seemed a lot since no food or housing - will take feedback on this though), including singles/teams for Melee, 64 OR Brawl (for now in case there's overlap, just not sure how schedule is going to shake out yet), and a side tournament or two, that'd leave us with about a $3000 pot for 200 in attendance, if I recall my spreadsheet correctly. That's not huge once you split it across tournaments, but frankly, the goal for this tournament isn't going to be insane pot size, and it'll only go up from there. We already broke $10k in prizes with FCD...right now I'm more interested in putting the money where it can help the most people come and enjoy themselves.

KishPrime

BRoomer
As an alternative to going straight $60, was also thinking of doing $60 entry for the first 50 people to sign up just to kick-start it and then going to $75. Something like that.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Plank used to incentivise early registration by increasing entry gradually. For example, $60 4 months before, $65 3 months before, $70 2 months before, $75 1 month before (final cutoff) and at the venue registration with a late entry fee (~ +$10)

KishPrime

BRoomer
Ok, good, then I have zero qualms with doing that instead of minimal qualms.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I guess you're right, technically the last public FC was QUEST, not Diamond.
Wow you're good.

As I'm playing around with possible schedules, I have no idea how APEX did both full Brawl and Melee at one event. It's not possible without massive logistical nightmares and overlap, best as I can tell. I'll have to dig up a copy of the APEX schedule to see what I'm missing.

MELEE-FC is Smash, and specifically Melee. There will probably be some Brawl, but it may just be a double-elimination tournament, like 64 did at FCD. It'll depend on a few things, but Melee events will not be compromised for the other games.

However, I'll be honest, I'll probably have to come out and say "Don't come for the prizes" with the expense chart I'm looking at. There may well be a $6,000 prize pool if we get 250 people which is fine, but there may also be a $2,500 prize pool if we get 180. That's not a very large prize pool, and I doubt there are many sponsors out there for a 10-year-old game.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Energy Drinks like to sponsor games! Other than that you might want to check out things college boys tend to buy: Old Spice/AXE, GameStop, stuff like that.

If you talk to them about setting up a booth, they only have to send 1 or 2 representatives out to hang out. People will stop by the booth to chat and see whats up. Give away a free product or two and BAM company is making advertising money.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Does anyone have data on the APEX streams and how populated they were? That's a big influence on potential sponsors as well.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
They broke over 10k at one point, but im not sure if it was for melee. I think it was around 4k or 5k for melee stuff

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
melee's went down by like half during GFs

also Saber Gaming could donate. talk to Vts

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
As I'm playing around with possible schedules, I have no idea how APEX did both full Brawl and Melee at one event. It's not possible without massive logistical nightmares and overlap, best as I can tell. I'll have to dig up a copy of the APEX schedule to see what I'm missing.
They ran Melee and Brawl on separate days, Melee primarily on Friday and Brawl on Saturday. Top 8 for both and the other fighting games was to be played out on Sunday, though they ended up having to do a lot more due to being behind schedule that much.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I went back and dug and apparently they ran it with like an 80-TV schedule. That'd do it.

I always planned based on 32 TVs and was happy for any extra that came in. That is where I'm losing a lot of time in my calculations. Guess we'll just have to see how the TVs are looking as we go and modify as necessary. I'd like to do as much as we can fit, but I'm putting together everything with a cushion for now. Always underpromise and overdeliver, of course.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Right.

SO we've still got one good venue lined up, and are waiting to hear back from two others on some final offers before moving forward. Hoping to have an announcement ready by the end of this week.

EDIT: And just like that, only waiting to hear back on one venue. Woo. Looking good!

KishPrime

BRoomer
August 12-14 is looking like the final decision, actually. So unless you're staying in Europe for awhile...

KishPrime

BRoomer
I hope you can make it - I certainly would enjoy the opportunity to meet you!

Dang, somewhere in all this I'm going to have to figure out how to play Smash again. It is both my greatest excitement and my greatest fear.

D

Deleted member

Oh we in there then!
if you can make it to DC, you can carpool with me. last time around we crashed @ m2k's with scar and cactuar and went from there and it was the best smash experience i've ever had. me jay and chuck go in hard on that positioning theory IRL.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I hope you can make it - I certainly would enjoy the opportunity to meet you!

Dang, somewhere in all this I'm going to have to figure out how to play Smash again. It is both my greatest excitement and my greatest fear.
And I you. Someone so intelligent and engaging would be fun for me to meet in person.

if you can make it to DC, you can carpool with me. last time around we crashed @ m2k's with scar and cactuar and went from there and it was the best smash experience i've ever had. me jay and chuck go in hard on that positioning theory IRL.
That sounds SICK! I won't get to start making plans until basically August/very early September for sure, but I'm down to try and make something like that work. Smash trips are so amazing.

Top Bottom