• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Annoying Tactics

Phrygian

Smash Rookie
So I have been playing for glory more and more, and I find that a lot of people on there have really annoying tactics. I find that they will play a very specific pattern, but I usually cannot find a reliable way to punish it. My kryptonite on fg includes Samus's who spam their projectiles and juke you out to get to the other side of the stage and repeat the process, little macs who just charge smash attacks and abuse super armor so that they can't be punished so easily, and people who spam spot dodge, air dodge and rolls (rolls are not so bad now as you can punish the end of it, and though you can read an airdodge, these people usually spam it right at the point where you can't punish it and it also won't cause landing lag). Can anybody please give ways to punish all of these along with other for glory annoying tactics you may have once had a problem with, that would be greatly appreciated. Maybe with enough responses, we can help the whole community defeat annoying players.

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
This part of the game is where the Mental game comes in. Reading, or as Scar would put it, "THE REEEEEEEEEAAAAAADS!!!" is actually a very important part of punishing opponents that spam one attack. Opponents that spam projectiles also give up stage control, thus granting you full reign over stage movement. Opponents that spam Spot dodges and Air dodges can be very easily predicted by simply timing attacks in the correct order and attacking again before they can escape the tumble animation. Don't be afraid to projectile spam opponents yourself. picking up more than one character has benefits.

Spud125

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2360-0901-6241
hmmmm.... I cant help to much but.... Whats your problem exactly? Cloud Players, Bayonnetta players, Rosalina players, Mewtwo players... or other? I am a cloud player so I like to spam the shi* out of uair attacks and the limit attacks... soooo... how to deal with cloud: You don't wanna approach cloud with float because you will get hit by his forward and neutral aerial. It's important to have a turnip in hand as you can combat him in the air to zone him out. When you are above cloud, do not challenge his up aerial and focus on getting back to the ground safely. Respect his range and power when you fight him and pick the right moment to punish him when he's using an unsafe move that leaves him vulnerable.

Last edited:

KEYLIME SSB

Smash Journeyman
hmmmm.... I cant help to much but.... Whats your problem exactly? Cloud Players, Bayonnetta players, Rosalina players, Mewtwo players... or other? I am a cloud player so I like to spam the shi* out of uair attacks and the limit attacks... soooo... how to deal with cloud: You don't wanna approach cloud with float because you will get hit by his forward and neutral aerial. It's important to have a turnip in hand as you can combat him in the air to zone him out. When you are above cloud, do not challenge his up aerial and focus on getting back to the ground safely. Respect his range and power when you fight him and pick the right moment to punish him when he's using an unsafe move that leaves him vulnerable.
As Specified, a lot of these problems are not MU specific. The general issue is Projectile camping and general Avoidance play style.

GokuEllis

Smash Rookie
Biggest thing is to read your opponent. If little mac is just charging his way into you, dodge it and counter. If Samus is rolling and launching projectiles, launch some projectiles back and wait for her to approach. Link is pretty good to counter her in my experience, his arrows shoot fast from one end of the map to the other, and his bombs counter her rolls.

Every character and every strategy has a weak spot, regardless of the matchup. Just read it properly and exploit it

Last edited:

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
Look at all the options you have, bait them into coming to you by taking main stage if they spam

Frection

Smash Rookie
For punishing rolls I find the best thing to do is stay just outside of the range they can immediately roll to. Stand there without committing to anything (except sheilding stuff they throw at you) to punish rolls on reaction. That lets you stop campy Samuses from getting behind you and keep them trapped at the ledge, but reacting to stuff is hard on wifi

Lil Will

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty bad but I think you just have to pick up on the patterns and punish them. There's a reason top players are top players. Their controllers or characters don't magically move faster than ours, they just have an option for everything an opponent does, they practice those options, then they predict what you're going to do and exercise those options.

Top Bottom