• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Announcement from the Legacy Team

NiceTea

Smash Rookie
Big thanks for this mod! Having a blast!
I have two quick questions:

- I'm using a xbox360 controller mapped as a regular controller. How do I select a "B button" stage, if the B button brings me to the prior menu?
- Out of curiosity, is there any tier list for the game?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
- I'm using a xbox360 controller mapped as a regular controller. How do I select a "B button" stage, if the B button brings me to the prior menu?
Oh yeah, that one's tricky.

The way I do it is that I press B immediately after selecting the stage. It still registers the input without bringing you back since it's already loading.

- Out of curiosity, is there any tier list for the game?
I haven't seen any official Legacy tier list, but the characters in regular Project M are unchanged in terms of gameplay, so they're just as viable or as unviable as in Project M. I'm sure you were referring to the new characters, but sadly, I can't answer that.

With that said, I'm sure Metal Sonic is really damn good.

Last edited:

IkaMusumeYiyaRoxie

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0687-0844-4885
Good Morning, I can't run the program "Legacy XP [Performance]", "Legacy XP [Quality]" and neither "DolphinLXPii", because, the Windows error message says: "This app can't run on your PC, To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher". Because, I guess this program is only compatible for 64-bit Computers, NOT 32-bit.

Here's my PC Metadata:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Dell Optiplex 760 32-bit system
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.17
RAM: 2 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Q45/43 Express Chipset

SupersizedData

Smash Rookie
I can load Legacy up and all, but when I reach the small menu where the Updates and so forth are at, I actually can't do anything, no matter what I press.

Trying to use the keyboard (it's all I can do). Where the heck am I going wrong?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've been trying to use the Dolphin version of this mod but I keep getting a black screen, regardless of whether I choose Quality or Performance (I would prefer to get Quality working if I can).

It's a US Brawl ISO that I'm using, 7.92 GB. Dragging it into the .bat file says it's the correct one, and it does it's thing after I select which version I want. Booting the Launcher WAD just gives me a black screen.

I heard some people suggest that you put your Brawl ISO in the WAD folder and set it as the default ISO and run that, but still a black screen.

Any ideas?

PC Specs

GPU: ASUS ROG Strix NVIDIA 1080 Ti OC Edition
CPU: Intel i7-8700K
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING
RAM: HyperX Predator 16GB - PC4-24000 - DIMM (3000 MHz)
HDD: Western Digital Black - 2TB - Desktop
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB M.2 SSD

EDIT: Never mind, I got it to work.

Last edited:

Nikster31

Smash Rookie
I'm having a constant absolute blast with this mod. LOVE playing it on my Wii. Hoping to play it with friends by the time Summer comes but it's entertaining enough on its own to just duke it out with CPUs.

In my genuine opinion, having both this and Ultimate at my disposal are the best ways to celebrate Smash Brothers as a franchise.

Can't wait for any content that might be added in the future, but I'm not sweating on it too much as I've been having loads of fun.

Thanks devs ^-^

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm new to this. How do I update from 2.0 on Dolphin? I tried pressing the update button but it only says "Download failed. Retrying..."

HyperLink

Smash Rookie
I'm new to this. How do I update from 2.0 on Dolphin? I tried pressing the update button but it only says "Download failed. Retrying..."
Launcher update feature isn't supported on Dolphin, so you need to follow the guide from scratch here: http://smashbros.co/LXPGuide
EDIT: The reason this doesn't work is that modifying the virtual SD card in Dolphin causes netplay to desync. Maybe if we figure out a way around this, we'll support it.

Last edited:

ThoseUpAirsThough

Smash Apprentice
I understand that this post is somewhat off-topic since this is about the server and not the mod(s) itself.
But I would like a second chance (unban) to be able to join it.
It has been months since I've been banned and it made it hard to look for people to play LTE/LXP with, and especially find support for.
If you didn't know how I got banned, it's because I was being stupid and kept posting memes into #general insetad of the memes channel.
So yea, I promise I won't be as ******** as last time and actually follow the rules. I respect the Legacy team for making both mods (LTE and LXP) and I wish them luck. Oh yea, my Discord name and tag is FancyEX#7903. Good luck!

Last edited:

HyperLink

Smash Rookie
I understand that this post is somewhat off-topic since this is about the server and not the mod(s) itself.
But I would like a second chance (unban) to be able to join it.
It has been months since I've been banned and it made it hard to look for people to play LTE/LXP with, and especially find support for.
If you didn't know how I got banned, it's because I was being stupid and kept posting memes into #general insetad of the memes channel.
So yea, I promise I won't be as ******** as last time and actually follow the rules. I respect the Legacy team for making both mods (LTE and LXP) and I wish them luck. Oh yea, my Discord name and tag is FancyEX#7903. Good luck!
Forwarded your message to the moderators. They'll decide if you should be unbanned or not :smash:

NBAPwns13

Smash Rookie
I've been enjoying Legacy XP Lite, i saw there was a 120 FPS feature. Other than enabling and checking the 120 FPS code box, is there any other settings in dolphin that is required to run it w/ netplay?

HyperLink

Smash Rookie
I've been enjoying Legacy XP Lite, i saw there was a 120 FPS feature. Other than enabling and checking the 120 FPS code box, is there any other settings in dolphin that is required to run it w/ netplay?
Nope, just check the box and you're good to go.
Just a reminder, ALL players need it to be enabled, regardless if they have a 120hz monitor or not, but they still need to be able to run the game at 200% speed.
Also, since there's twice as many frames per second, you need to use double the buffer you'd normally need.
And remember this is an experimental feature that needs a few minor issues to be fixed, namely
  • Double menu speed
  • Double timer speed (you can work around it by setting it to 16 minutes)
  • Platform drop attacks (especially Dair) can bring you back up to the platform
  • Some character animations may jitter
  • Some stage materials (especially texture animations) may glitch out a bit

Zoa

Smash Ace
I have a few more questions regarding some of the design decisions if you guys don't mind answering them.

I had checked the changelog for Mage Ganondorf, and was wondering why the huge nerfs to jab? Frame six is already slow for a jab, but putting it to frame 11 makes it the slowest in the game tmk. And why the input change to jab loop? This makes it a lot slower in my experience, too.

Also what happened to having everything off the bat, and base PM CSPs? It works in 2.0.

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
I have a few more questions regarding some of the design decisions if you guys don't mind answering them.

I had checked the changelog for Mage Ganondorf, and was wondering why the huge nerfs to jab? Frame six is already slow for a jab, but putting it to frame 11 makes it the slowest in the game tmk. And why the input change to jab loop? This makes it a lot slower in my experience, too.
Hi! I'm the guy in charge of balance changes for LXP and I was directed here by HyperLink to answer this question.

Mage Ganondorf's jab was changed because of some unintended side effects that stemmed from the unique way that his jab loop was entered in 2.0f. Unlike most jab loops, you had to hold the A button for the whole startup of jab 1 to enter it, which skips jab 1 altogether. I had initially made it like this to grant people the option to choose between jab 1 and jab loop, since there was never a reason to actually string jab 1 into jab loop so it made the most sense to separate them. However, upon release of 2.0f, there were a lot of complaints that it was too difficult to enter jab 1 without inadvertently entering jab loop. You had to hold the button down for less than 5 frames to do jab 1 (which is harder to do consistently than it might sound), so it was very easy to accidentally enter jab loop. It made people not want to even try using jab 1 because they weren't confident that pressing A would result in the move that they wanted to use, so this was at the top of my list for changes to make to Mage Ganondorf in 2.1's update.

The primary issue was that people were accidentally entering jab loop when they really wanted to use jab 1, so I decided to make jab loop require a much more deliberate input. I accomplished this by making jab loop require two taps of the A button during the jab 1's startup, but I ran into another issue as a result of this; two separate A button inputs needed to happen within the span of 5 frames. This is not a reasonable input for people using a standard control scheme and grip, and effectively required the player to use their index finger to press the A button instead of their thumb. It became clear that this was an unreasonable demand for players, so I either needed to increase the move's startup or find another intuitive method.

The problem about finding another intuitive method is that when it comes to jabs, the only thing a player would reasonably expect to do in order to enter the next part of the jab would be to press A. I got a few suggestions from other team members to make jab loop start if B is held alongside A when jab 1 is initiated, but it just didn't seem reasonable to expect the average player to know that you need to hold B in order to enter jab loop. I wanted it to be something that any player could just discover on their own and immediately understand how it's done, and that really didn't seem to fit the bill. I brought up removing jab loop altogether because it isn't really useful for much at all, but the team didn't agree with that either. The only thing that really seemed natural was to restrict jab loop to a double A press and increase the startup enough for this to be a reasonable expectation for the average user. While I wasn't entirely satisfied with this solution, it seemed like the only intuitive method to resolve the issue that didn't involve removing jab loop altogether.

I tinkered with the startup until I got it to a point where I could consistently enter jab loop using just my thumb on a normal grip, and the shortest window length that I could consistently manage this at was at 10 frames. This made the move a lot slower, so I made a lot of adjustments to the move to suit its new speed. One of the more significant changes I made was adding an additional starting hit that would strike as soon as that 10 frame input wondow closed. The reason that I did this was so that the animation could still look at least somewhat natural when the move strikes an opponent, because otherwise hitlag would begin before Mage Ganondorf's arm was fully extended which made it look pretty weird. To resolve this, I made that first hit have no hitlag so that it would link into the second hit that would actually launch the target, and enter hitlag in the pose that made sense. Now that the move is a multihit, it's now effectively able to break through crouch cancel if the victim isn't able to low-profile the jab altogether since the first hit will take the victim out of crouch right before the second hit connects. I also made the actual launching hit significantly stronger, especially at lower %s, to make it safe on hit when it does actually land.

The move didn't really deserve to get hit as hard as it did, but it's in a much better place now as a result of it. Now that it can actually be used without fear of accidentally entering jab loop, I've personally found myself using it a lot more often. In fact, I've actually gotten some rather clip-worthy moments with the new jab that I'll share here:

The good ol' windbox shenanigans are still here!

This clip wouldn't have been possible with the old jab! The new knockback stats really made it a lot more rewarding to hit, at the cost of it being more difficult to land.

I think the changes to jab were suitable. Obviously not a perfect solution, but it does get the job done. Besides, I think the other changes that Mage Ganondorf received in the 2.1 update more than make up for this. The huge buffs to aerial Down-B, grab, and B-Air have gone a long way towards making the character's moveset flow better and I'm excited to see how others utilize the new changes.

If you have any other questions, let me know! I always love explaining my thought process behind the decisions that I make when it comes to our characters, and I'll gladly discuss any and all moveset-related topics.

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
Hi! I'm the guy in charge of balance changes for LXP and I was directed here by HyperLink to answer this question.

Mage Ganondorf's jab was changed because of some unintended side effects that stemmed from the unique way that his jab loop was entered in 2.0f. Unlike most jab loops, you had to hold the A button for the whole startup of jab 1 to enter it, which skips jab 1 altogether. I had initially made it like this to grant people the option to choose between jab 1 and jab loop, since there was never a reason to actually string jab 1 into jab loop so it made the most sense to separate them. However, upon release of 2.0f, there were a lot of complaints that it was too difficult to enter jab 1 without inadvertently entering jab loop. You had to hold the button down for less than 5 frames to do jab 1 (which is harder to do consistently than it might sound), so it was very easy to accidentally enter jab loop. It made people not want to even try using jab 1 because they weren't confident that pressing A would result in the move that they wanted to use, so this was at the top of my list for changes to make to Mage Ganondorf in 2.1's update.

The primary issue was that people were accidentally entering jab loop when they really wanted to use jab 1, so I decided to make jab loop require a much more deliberate input. I accomplished this by making jab loop require two taps of the A button during the jab 1's startup, but I ran into another issue as a result of this; two separate A button inputs needed to happen within the span of 5 frames. This is not a reasonable input for people using a standard control scheme and grip, and effectively required the player to use their index finger to press the A button instead of their thumb. It became clear that this was an unreasonable demand for players, so I either needed to increase the move's startup or find another intuitive method.

The problem about finding another intuitive method is that when it comes to jabs, the only thing a player would reasonably expect to do in order to enter the next part of the jab would be to press A. I got a few suggestions from other team members to make jab loop start if B is held alongside A when jab 1 is initiated, but it just didn't seem reasonable to expect the average player to know that you need to hold B in order to enter jab loop. I wanted it to be something that any player could just discover on their own and immediately understand how it's done, and that really didn't seem to fit the bill. I brought up removing jab loop altogether because it isn't really useful for much at all, but the team didn't agree with that either. The only thing that really seemed natural was to restrict jab loop to a double A press and increase the startup enough for this to be a reasonable expectation for the average user. While I wasn't entirely satisfied with this solution, it seemed like the only intuitive method to resolve the issue that didn't involve removing jab loop altogether.

I tinkered with the startup until I got it to a point where I could consistently enter jab loop using just my thumb on a normal grip, and the shortest window length that I could consistently manage this at was at 10 frames. This made the move a lot slower, so I made a lot of adjustments to the move to suit its new speed. One of the more significant changes I made was adding an additional starting hit that would strike as soon as that 10 frame input wondow closed. The reason that I did this was so that the animation could still look at least somewhat natural when the move strikes an opponent, because otherwise hitlag would begin before Mage Ganondorf's arm was fully extended which made it look pretty weird. To resolve this, I made that first hit have no hitlag so that it would link into the second hit that would actually launch the target, and enter hitlag in the pose that made sense. Now that the move is a multihit, it's now effectively able to break through crouch cancel if the victim isn't able to low-profile the jab altogether since the first hit will take the victim out of crouch right before the second hit connects. I also made the actual launching hit significantly stronger, especially at lower %s, to make it safe on hit when it does actually land.

The move didn't really deserve to get hit as hard as it did, but it's in a much better place now as a result of it. Now that it can actually be used without fear of accidentally entering jab loop, I've personally found myself using it a lot more often. In fact, I've actually gotten some rather clip-worthy moments with the new jab that I'll share here:

The good ol' windbox shenanigans are still here!

This clip wouldn't have been possible with the old jab! The new knockback stats really made it a lot more rewarding to hit, at the cost of it being more difficult to land.

I think the changes to jab were suitable. Obviously not a perfect solution, but it does get the job done. Besides, I think the other changes that Mage Ganondorf received in the 2.1 update more than make up for this. The huge buffs to aerial Down-B, grab, and B-Air have gone a long way towards making the character's moveset flow better and I'm excited to see how others utilize the new changes.

If you have any other questions, let me know! I always love explaining my thought process behind the decisions that I make when it comes to our characters, and I'll gladly discuss any and all moveset-related topics.
I love this more than I thought I would. I'm glad you guys interact with the community like this. This is a very well thought out process, and I can't really find any fault with it. Since I do have you here, would you mind answering a question about Young Link? He's the character I play outside of Lucario in PM locals, and I'd love to learn more about his design. The main design seems to be taken from Melee, but was wondering if there are any less noticeable changes compared to Melee that exist in LXP? I know his bombs are radically different, dash attack is quite different, and his slingshot replaces the Fire Bow. Also do you have any plans to differentiate him some more from the other Links?

NNID
Megamanxtreme247
3DS FC
0233-0693-2297
Switch FC
1389-8562-4404
I need someone's help!!
I just downloaded the update of the build, and everytime I load up the game it keeps taking me back to the wii menu
Is there any way to fix this? If so, please help!!

Vapor_exe

Smash Cadet
Okay so, for any download links for Brawl XP that I found, some of the files are missing and I have 5,242,012,181 bytes when opening it up on winRAR. Any help?

Last edited:

HyperLink

Smash Rookie
I need someone's help!!
I just downloaded the update of the build, and everytime I load up the game it keeps taking me back to the wii menu
Is there any way to fix this? If so, please help!!
You probably missed a step in the guide. Try reinstalling it from scratch and follow every step.

Okay so, for any download links for Brawl XP that I found, some of the files are missing and I have 5,242,012,181 bytes when opening it up on winRAR. Any help?
I'd recommend redownloading it and making sure the extraction finished without errors.

NNID
Megamanxtreme247
3DS FC
0233-0693-2297
Switch FC
1389-8562-4404
You probably missed a step in the guide. Try reinstalling it from scratch and follow every step.

I'd recommend redownloading it and making sure the extraction finished without errors.
It's okay now.
I realized that I didn't install all the codes in properly, that's why it wasn't working so I reinstalled it.
Works just fine now, but I appreciate all the help anyways. :)

TheMajesticMrL

Smash Rookie
This has probably been answered before but how would one go about replacing one of the characters? I know there's tutorials on adding characters but say I wanted to replace Geno with someone like Zero. Would I just have to delete all of Geno's data and then replace it with Zero's in the same character slot from the ground up?

Last edited:

SmashMods9298

Smash Rookie
Hey folks. I'd like to report a bug. If there's a better way then tell me but Peach's Down Special crashes the game immediately. I've redownloaded and re extracted Peach's files alone and it does nothing

Βearzor

Smash Cadet
Hello! I just got around to downloading and playing this for the first time and I just wanted to say WOW and THANK YOU!!

There is so much love put in to the original characters I cant believe it. I laughed out loud at the coolness and nostalgia when I realized Mage Ganon's neutral B was his projectile from Ocarina, and I love that he can reflect now. Geno is SO great. His crouch is genius. Shadow is everything I ever wanted and then some. Waluigi turned out to be an awesome design that I didnt know I wanted.

Also I'm super impressed with how easy you guys made this for users! I love the bat file and then the Dolphin launchers clearly labeled for performance, quality or netplay.

You guys have already blown my mind, and if Megaman X is what was teased at the end of the trailer I wont even be able to handle that ****!

Thank you LXP team and all the other modders who contributed to this!

Edit: just figured out that Young Link auto jumps off platforms when doing his dash attack! Ahhh so fun!

Last edited:

Flo_o

Smash Rookie
HyperLink HyperLink Hi Hyperlink, i recently saw that you have released a new Legacy TE version, are you also planning a new Legacy XP version? Also, i have a small suggestion, in Legacy TE the music sliders (if a song will play often or not, or disable it completely) are there, but they are missing in Legacy XP, are you planning to restore them? Maybe a strange request but i like to play the old N64 levels with only the original track instead of hearing 5 or 10 extra songs, also it's great to change the main menu theme with these sliders.

Top Bottom