• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Annals of the Heavens - The Pits User Listing and Video Thread

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
NuNero1 NuNero1
First let me just say that kill on marth with the Electroshock was noice xD

Now for the critique. I'm gonna be harsh so don't take it to heart, if you feel I've said anything wrong feel free to correct me.
The place where you lack the most is generally in fundamental areas and general game and character understanding. Gonna nitpick here.
-You use arrows sometimes at the right time and sometimes at the wrong time. Don't use arrows too much in neutral, only use them if your opponent is far away or offstage.
-You roll quite a bit, even when it is not necessary, try to limit your rolling only to when you need to (i.e only roll if you need to evade an attack not if your opponent comes close to you).
-Put a little more thought into what moves you are using, don't just throw them out but think, why should I throw out this move, is it safe to throw out? What can I expect to gain from using this move. You threw out alot of unsafe attacks with little reward and sometimes you committed to options that were either unsafe or left better options to be desired.
-Also try to work on some basic pit combos and followups, watch videos of other Pits.

I'll go into more detail but only for the Link video because doing all three would take too long. Im also going to only do half the Link video because that alone would take ages since im breaking down every move you make.
-At the start of the match you rolled backwards and shot an arrow, why? You could have ran backwards and shot a turnaround arrow making it come out faster.
-You went for a dair next, that was a good option to beat out your opponents Dair but unfortunately you whiffed, practice the spacing on your moves
-Good choice jumping out of there instead of airdodging or attacking because Link had a frame advantage (he could have attacked you before you attacked him or punished your airdodge).
-Good choice going for a grab and trying to cover his crossover with ftilt even though you whiffed but then again, landing moves easily comes with practice.
-Again, why did you roll away and shoot an arrow? Wouldn't it have been better to punish him for whiffing his usmash?
-Good dash attack and good fair followup.
-Next stock, don't spot dodge bombs because Link can punish you here is an example of a situation where it would be good to roll or better yet jump away.
-We are up to 0:24, why did you Fsmahs him? It would have been better to grab him because that would lead to more damage and cover his shield option and it is safer.
-Shooting an arrow after fsmash will never connect, you could try chasing him and reading his getup option for another punish.
-Good choice spotdodging the thrown bomb, shielding will make it bounce off your shield and still be a threat, whilst rolling you might still get hit by the bomb or link. Link couldn't punish your spotdodge due to being too far away.
-Good grab punish but bthrow was a bad option especially with an arrow followup. You gave him stage control again andgot the least damage off that grab. Should have went for dthrow fair/uair/bair/dair putting him offstage in a dangerous position, above you for juggles as well as doing the most damage off that grab.
-Now this part, why did you randomly jab when link was far away? Why did you jump to approach him then land with a fair (which would not have hit, does the least damage and could have gotten you punished instead). Why did you go for ftilt afterwards, were there better options? The first roll made sense, because Link was going to fsmash you, but why the second roll when you were already out of danger? and why the grab afterwards, Link was nowhere near you.

Anyways see where I am going with this? You have to put more thought behind your moves,You definitely don't have to break down the game like this during every match but try to think, after the match, what you could have done and use it in your next match. Over time you will learn what is the best option for every scenario and eventually you will be able to choose a good option on the fly without giving it much thought.

Quick question how long have you been playing smash 4? or how long have you been playing Pit? Alot of the issues in your gameplay can easily be fixed with more practice and experience.
Well, I've owned the game and console since February, but I've been playing with Pit/ Dark Pit since October last year few and in between on a friend's console, but as I stated since Feb. was the only time I could actually sit down and play the game on a daily/ casual basis. I know there are a lot of holes in my gameplay, but I can tell you my skill with this character is so much better than it was when I started. Again, thanks for being honest and real with me. Boards like this lack that nowadays, which is mostly filled with ignorance and trolls. Its obvious that you are on another level than me, which I respect, so I'll be referring to you alot! Thanks!

Last edited:

ReRaze

'Nee Sama
NNID
ReRaze
3DS FC
0705-3321-7681
Well, I've owned the game and console since February, but I've been playing with Pit/ Dark Pit since October last year few and in between on a friend's console, but as I stated since Feb. was the only time I could actually sit down and play the game on a daily/ casual basis. I know there are a lot of holes in my gameplay, but I can tell you my skill with this character is so much better than it was when I started. Again, thanks for being honest and real with me. Boards like this lack that nowadays, which is mostly filled with ignorance and trolls. Its obvious that you are on another level than me, which I respect, so I'll be referring to you alot! Thanks!
Frankly you haven't been playing for long :o, That being said, yeah you're definitely on the right track man, keep it up! You're definitely already better than alot of people I've seen and they have played the game way longer than you. That's a good mindset to have, it's great to see you're not delusional like some people, you understand your flaws and if you know your flaws, you'll know how to address them. You'll make a fine Pit one day :)
No problem and I'm down to help any time!

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Y'now, I've given advice to several people on here. One day, I'll upload a video for you all to critique.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
So, for no particular reason, how does one post links?
You just copy the URL

upload_2016-4-7_20-42-39.png

And paste it here~

And you can also link Youtube vids an images with this~
upload_2016-4-7_20-46-10.png

Red is for images. Just put the image url in it

Blue is for vids or any sort of media like Twitter posts and Vines. Just put the url in it

Purple is for hyper-linking. It's when you want to put the link in the words so that when they click on the words the get sent to the link.
Example~

Did this help? :happysheep:

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
You just copy the URL

View attachment 103217

And paste it here~

And you can also link Youtube vids an images with this~
View attachment 103218

Red is for images. Just put the image url in it

Blue is for vids or any sort of media like Twitter posts and Vines. Just put the url in it

Purple is for hyper-linking. It's when you want to put the link in the words so that when they click on the words the get sent to the link.
Example~

Did this help? :happysheep:
Yep, thanks.

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
Dark Pit is my main, but I sometimes use his "big brother" Pit. Since Samus got all those buffs a few weeks ago, she's been quite a handful, even in the hands of a starter. So here's some game play against a pretty decent Samus for critiquing purposes. Any improvement? I still have to get the hang of curving Pit's arrows better. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RogneseQbdc&nohtml5=False

Last edited:

xfateful

Smash Cadet
Dark Pit is my main, but I sometimes use his "big brother" Pit. Since Samus got all those buffs a few weeks ago, she's been quite a handful, even in the hands of a starter. So here's some game play against a pretty decent Samus for critiquing purposes. Any improvement? I still have to get the hang of curving Pit's arrows better. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RogneseQbdc&nohtml5=False
So here's some tips after taking a quick look:
- When you get a grab, you usually do a forward throw. I don't suggest using Pit's forward throw as your primary throw because 1) it stales your forward throw if you need a kill and 2) Pit's down throw is a much better combo starter. Down throw to up air, forward air, down air, and up smash all work at the correct percents. I would only use Pit's forward throw when they are at 0 percent (to get a jab-lock or to get more percent with a more optimal combo) or when the opponent is at the ledge.
- You like to pummel at least twice at any percent. I suggest only pummeling near mid to high percents because at lower percents, you miss out on your combo in addition to your throw damage if your opponent breaks out. And at low percents, they likely will.
- You almost always approach and punish with grab. Against better opponents, they will easily be able to get around this so I suggest mixing it up with Pit's other options.
- You getup attack a lot from the ledge. Now, this wasn't punished properly by your opponent. However, getup attacking is the worst option from the ledge because it's the easiest to punish. Additionally, it's always a good idea to mix up your getup options so you can get back onto the stage more safely.
- You don't use any aerials in neutral. Now, Pit has a strong ground game so you can sometimes get away with just playing grounded. But against better opponents, you need to do more than grab in neutral to win.
- If you plan to use arrows, full-hop arrows work better than grounded ones because they have less endlag. Though in general, I don't think it's a very good idea to use arrows in neutral.

I also took a look at your previous video. From what I can tell, you played better in your Dark Pit versus Bayonetta match than this one here. I'm not sure why but maybe it's because you're a lot more accustomed to your friend's play style?

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
So here's some tips after taking a quick look:
- When you get a grab, you usually do a forward throw. I don't suggest using Pit's forward throw as your primary throw because 1) it stales your forward throw if you need a kill and 2) Pit's down throw is a much better combo starter. Down throw to up air, forward air, down air, and up smash all work at the correct percents. I would only use Pit's forward throw when they are at 0 percent (to get a jab-lock or to get more percent with a more optimal combo) or when the opponent is at the ledge.
- You like to pummel at least twice at any percent. I suggest only pummeling near mid to high percents because at lower percents, you miss out on your combo in addition to your throw damage if your opponent breaks out. And at low percents, they likely will.
- You almost always approach and punish with grab. Against better opponents, they will easily be able to get around this so I suggest mixing it up with Pit's other options.
- You getup attack a lot from the ledge. Now, this wasn't punished properly by your opponent. However, getup attacking is the worst option from the ledge because it's the easiest to punish. Additionally, it's always a good idea to mix up your getup options so you can get back onto the stage more safely.
- You don't use any aerials in neutral. Now, Pit has a strong ground game so you can sometimes get away with just playing grounded. But against better opponents, you need to do more than grab in neutral to win.
- If you plan to use arrows, full-hop arrows work better than grounded ones because they have less endlag. Though in general, I don't think it's a very good idea to use arrows in neutral.

I also took a look at your previous video. From what I can tell, you played better in your Dark Pit versus Bayonetta match than this one here. I'm not sure why but maybe it's because you're a lot more accustomed to your friend's play style?
Much appreciated, thanks! This why I come to Smashboards, good community, great advice. Looks like I still have a bit of work to do, again thanks for the feedback. And to answer your question, I'm a sort of a learn as you go player, the more battles I'm in the more I learn from it,especially when I lose. I do identify more with Dark Pit than Pit though. And plus it helps that I've fought a whole lot of Bayonettas (and there are a lot of them, in my case).

Last edited:

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Hm, maybe I should actually get to doing this...

User name: Koiba Koiba
In game name: Koiba
3DS Friend Code: 3411-0757-3017
NNID: SprinkledKittens
Palette: Default Dark Pit because all the others are trashy :^)
Message: I like it when I kill someone at 50% with Electroshock, it gives me life

Last edited:

xfateful

Smash Cadet
Much appreciated, thanks! This why I come to Smashboards, good community, great advice. Looks like I still have a bit of work to do, again thanks for the feedback. And to answer your question, I'm a sort of a learn as you go player, the more battles I'm in the more I learn from it,especially when I lose. I do identify more with Dark Pit than Pit though. And plus it helps that I've fought a whole lot of Bayonettas (and there are a lot of them, in my case).
No problem. I just hope I helped! I see, that's good that the matchup experience is helping you. It seems like we Pit players always lean towards one or the other despite them being largely the same. But it's good that you're working with Pit in addition to Dark Pit as certain matchups can be easier with one or the other. In any case, I wish you luck with your play. I'm sure you'll improve in no time!

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
I was watching earth do this rar usmash. why is rar better
https://youtu.be/KSo6_JvvELw?t=8s
Pretty sure that was a turn-around usmash as for rar you need to be running at least from what I know

He probably did it because the back part of the usmash hits first.
upload_2016-4-13_20-10-2.png

Dunno if it was necessary because DK's a big fighter, but maybe for the likes of smaller ones like Kirby and Puff it can be useful

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
Last edited:

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
It's been a while, but I have some new gameplay starring the character everyone loves to hate.. Dark Pit A.K.A "The Dark Winged Doppelganger!" I'm fighting a pretty decent Marth, check it out! Any thoughts? Comments? Let me have it..

Honesty, I think I did a little bit better in the first video rather than the second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H889erwDnfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucgZF_eLRe0&spfreload=10
Pretty good overall. I was going to comment on the lack of throws, but you started using them more in Marth's second stock in the first video. If I may, perhaps you could learn a few follow ups from down throw. At early percentages you can chase with an up smash and early to mid percentages you can use up air or a turnaround back air.

Also, try not to overuse dash attack. If your opponent sees you constantly doing it, they'll punish accordingly. Overall, you did well. You obviously know the character and everyone can learn new things, even I do. Your playstyle is very different from mine, and I find that interesting. It adds some spice to the game. Keep it up!

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
Pretty good overall. I was going to comment on the lack of throws, but you started using them more in Marth's second stock in the first video. If I may, perhaps you could learn a few follow ups from down throw. At early percentages you can chase with an up smash and early to mid percentages you can use up air or a turnaround back air.

Also, try not to overuse dash attack. If your opponent sees you constantly doing it, they'll punish accordingly. Overall, you did well. You obviously know the character and everyone can learn new things, even I do. Your playstyle is very different from mine, and I find that interesting. It adds some spice to the game. Keep it up!
Well, it looks like me and you need to have a Pit vs Pit showdown! Thanks for the advice and look me up if you can, my Nintendo ID is KSHEFF722 and my In-game name is KJ and my In-Game Tag is NERO or KJAY91. Cya on the flipside!

Last edited:

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Well, it looks like me and you need to have a Pit vs Pit showdown! Thanks for the advice and look me up if you can, my Nintendo ID is KSHEFF722 and my In-game name is either NERO or KJAY91. Cya on the flipside!
Sure, I'd love to fight you. We'll have to arrange something soon. My NNID is Orchestrafanboy and my In-game name is Anthony.

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
Sure, I'd love to fight you. We'll have to arrange something soon. My NNID is Orchestrafanboy and my In-game name is Anthony.
Gotcha, I'll find you and we can have our match. Later, man. But I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous Mr.Expert, but I'll give it my best shot!

Last edited:

Orchestrafanboy19

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Orchestrafanboy
3DS FC
1435-5592-4731
Gotcha, I'll find you and we can have our match. Later, man. But I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous Mr.Expert, but I'll give it my best shot!
Oh, well, thank you, but I am no expert. I just know what I do wrong and don't want others to fall into the same problems. Though I do appreciate the compliment.

Chobani007

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, any criticism on my Pit play? Thanks!

User name: Chobani007
In-Game name: 3F
3DS Friend Code: --
(Wii U) Nintendo Network ID: Chobani007
Country of Residence: United States
Palette Color: Rainbow Pit.
One Sentence: Can Pit's side-B also get a buff?

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
I cant figure out why earth sh dair here. https://youtu.be/Wt10ZywrrRs?t=7m36s
he kept rolling away because he knows even if the guys reads it he will still live.
I'm guessing because dair covers space below him and kinda(?) fast

You can see the black Pit trying to do an usmash here:
upload_2016-5-30_21-7-52.png

But the dair came out first
upload_2016-5-30_21-9-34.png

Super bad quality I'm sorry ;-;

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
sorry for double post, but can someone please give me a few tips, any would be great

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
sorry for double post, but can someone please give me a few tips, any would be great
Some things I noticed:

- You're reaction time is pretty lacking. Try to practice that a little more. Every time you see a DDD do an fsmash, don't hesitate to punish! His fsmash is super laggy~ But don't get greedy like that fsmash you charged. You charged it a biiit too long. Another answer to fsmash is to just do side b and charge through. But this is really risky.

- Try spacing your jumps a little lower/higher. Some different heights can be useful~!

- You're rolling alot. Maybe try staying in shield and do some OoS options

- Your DI can be better. If a DDD does a dthrow try to DI away. Or you can do a different direction to mix up your opponent. And for uair go to the corners, not straight up.

- You really like using you jumps all in one spot when you're recovering and moving. Maybe use less of them so you have some jumps left to use.

- At 3:00 you did a neutral get-up when he was charging an fsmash. He covered alot of options but you did the wrong one. You could've done a roll(Didn't seem like it's hit?) or just drop down and wait till the move finished then snap back onto the ledge

Hope this helped~! :happysheep:

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
Some things I noticed:

- You're reaction time is pretty lacking. Try to practice that a little more. Every time you see a DDD do an fsmash, don't hesitate to punish! His fsmash is super laggy~ But don't get greedy like that fsmash you charged. You charged it a biiit too long. Another answer to fsmash is to just do side b and charge through. But this is really risky.

- Try spacing your jumps a little lower/higher. Some different heights can be useful~!

- You're rolling alot. Maybe try staying in shield and do some OoS options

- Your DI can be better. If a DDD does a dthrow try to DI away. Or you can do a different direction to mix up your opponent. And for uair go to the corners, not straight up.

- You really like using you jumps all in one spot when you're recovering and moving. Maybe use less of them so you have some jumps left to use.

- At 3:00 you did a neutral get-up when he was charging an fsmash. He covered alot of options but you did the wrong one. You could've done a roll(Didn't seem like it's hit?) or just drop down and wait till the move finished then snap back onto the ledge

Hope this helped~! :happysheep:
2 questions,
how am i supposed to uair, just the sides of it so they go in the corner? can you show me an example?

How do i work on my reaction time?

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
Rosalina and Luma are still a problem for me, even though I managed to pull this one off. I need tips so I can be more consistent in this match up, even if its so rare. Nowadays I'm stuck fighting Marth, Lucina, Samus, Mario, Cloud and the occasional Bayonetta ( No offense, but most Bayos I fight are average at best, its highly rare that I fight a legit one). Did not mean to ramble about my adventures in For Glory, anyway take a look and critique ( no matter how harsh). Thanks guys and gals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KcghYjRXpg

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
2 questions,
how am i supposed to uair, just the sides of it so they go in the corner? can you show me an example?

How do i work on my reaction time?
1. Yep, just go to the top corners of the stage. There's some videos on Youtube about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnqgfP7vrTs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIdyVK1aDtg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_46_2BtOM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBXUsN09wCU

2. Well, you can't really "practice" reaction time. I feel like you're reaction time will get better as you play the game. Maybe just try and keep your eyes peeled for an opening and attack it.

Maybe this video will help a little bit more?

Rosalina and Luma are still a problem for me, even though I managed to pull this one off. I need tips so I can be more consistent in this match up, even if its so rare. Nowadays I'm stuck fighting Marth, Lucina, Samus, Mario, Cloud and the occasional Bayonetta ( No offense, but most Bayos I fight are average at best, its highly rare that I fight a legit one). Did not mean to ramble about my adventures in For Glory, anyway take a look and critique ( no matter how harsh). Thanks guys and gals!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KcghYjRXpg
Ah.. tfw you do side b instead of up b at the end ;-;

Anyway:

- That was kind of a weird arrow at the beginning of the match. I think you could've done something better :3

- I wouldn't recommend multi-jab mostly because the 3 hit one is WAY better but also Rosa is really light and she can easily fall out of it. Also, if you look closely, you got punished for it a couple times.

- When Luma's flailing it's arms, it's a great chance it hit him~!

- You missed some grab follow ups so maybe work on that a bit more

- Your approaches were a little bit predictable with either dash attack/dash grab. Try mixing it up with some aerials

You can also check our MU talk about it~!

Hope this helped~ :happysheep:

NuNero1

Smash Cadet
NNID
KSHEFF722
Yeah, it helped! There's a reason why I titled that video "My Nemesis" because Rosa and Luma are hell to deal with, especially if its a good one. Much appreciated, I will take these tips to heart. And you're right, I need to cut back on the Dash attacks or dash grabs, because most of the time when I lose it's because I pull them out, I get punished mercilessly for it and then I get desperate and then use side b losing badly, old bad habits that I'm starting to faze out more now. Again, thanks :)

Top Bottom