• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime Fan

YerroBryBry

Smash Cadet
NNID
YerroBryBryy
Hmm, when it comes to anime I pretty much enjoy quite a few, such as Parasyte the maxim, Jojo's bizarre adventure, attack on titan (who doesn't enjoy this?), Hajime No Ippo and a long time ago, one piece.

Right now though I'm watching clannad and yes, although I thought it was just an anime for creepy weebs, I start becoming more attached to most characters in the series. I think I want to watch "one punch man" after clannad, but idk, there's just so much spoilers on the Internet and sometimes you just can't help yourself hahaha...!

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
LOOOOL congratulations for being the first person I've ever known to NOT like attack on Titan! XDD

(...How comes anyway? I'm curious!)

:^D
The gore is stupidly gross and over-the-top, yet the show takes itself seriously.

The characters are okay at best, although I really don't like Eren or whatever his name is. He's like Shinji Ikari from NGE, but isn't really justified for being annoying.

That and it just doesn't appeal to me. I normally enjoy things that are ridiculously over-the-top and own that fact (Kill la Kill, Gurren Lagann, One Punch Man, etc.), or are REALLY deep (Neon Genesis Evangelion).

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Oh damn lol that's a shame... ;-;

Never mind though, what kind of stuff do you like then? ^^
I'm watching One Punch Man, Noragami, and Sakurako-san this season.
My favorites are Steins;Gate, Clannad, Love Live, Code Geass, etc.etc.

In essence, I'm a piece of weeb trash.

Anime

Smash Journeyman
Fyi: self hating anime fans are a meme.

Also Attack on Titan is a common popular anime that people aren't keen on.

My favorite **** line up with bluekirby's. Trigger for life.

YerroBryBry

Smash Cadet
NNID
YerroBryBryy
In essence, I'm a piece of weeb trash
Awwwh, don't say that! Real men watch clannad anyways :glare:

Speaking of clannad, could you imagine ibuki fuko to be a skin/costume for rosalina? She'd rock the starfish man, and her dash attack will involve her tumbling over hahaha xD

YerroBryBry

Smash Cadet
NNID
YerroBryBryy
I just finished watching the first season of clannad, and not gonna lie, tears have been shed multiples times throughout the course... :sadsheep:

Gonna watch after story as well, and I'm pretty much enjoying the opening for that season...! I've also heard that after story is just a train wreck of feels and emotions so I don't even know how I feel about that 0.0

MetalMonk

Smash Cadet
I've also heard that after story is just a train wreck of feels and emotions so I don't even know how I feel about that 0.0
You prepare like any one should, watch with your pillows of choice and an gallon of ice cream.

It'll probably how I deal with One Punch Man being over.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
I've also heard that after story is just a train wreck of feels and emotions so I don't even know how I feel about that 0.0
You got this. Honestly, I wasn't able to cry (I have no heart, I know) during Clannad at all because all the people telling me I would cry my eyes out made me think I would but I didn't :p Still a great show, though I preferred S1 to After Story

TiralKami

Smash Rookie
Love anime, but tbh I have no real favourite show. There are some I treasure cause I watched them when I was younger, but its really hard to pin point one =P especially since I've seen sooooo many ...

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF
I been watching Owari Seraph S2 as well other anime like Noragami Aragato let me tell you something that guy is hilarious there isn't a thing that Yato cannot do XD XD I love that guy, Rakudai Kishi, Asterisk war Hmmm Strange both of these anime look the same I cant decide which I like the most both look very promising XD, Taimadou Gakuen 35 which is very good, ore ga ojousama gakkou another good anime and is very funny too and lastly Attack Titan Junior Boy I love this anime always I mean always made a good laugh. (^▽^)I also been watching Anime Dub From Toonami like Akame Ga Kill Dub I Love this anime too it had everything Like Owari Seraph then there is Parasite Maximum Dub I been very Hype about this Anime then Naruto SH, One Piece and DBZ Kai ( just for good old memory). XD How about you Guys?

Last edited:

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Top 5 anime? Mine are Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Fairy Tail, and Darker Than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha.

Probably cliche answers but I gots a personal reason to like 'em all, I swear.

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF
Top 5 anime? Mine are Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Fairy Tail, and Darker Than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha.

Cool Choice I finish Brotherhood which is one of the best anime series I ever seen I do think Brotherhood is way better than original what about you? in One Piece I'm in Enies Lobby arc Luffy Vs Lucci Cool Battle I might watch Fairy Tail in the future I heard that is good and DBZ I lost count how many time I watched I can count this one cuz I'm watching DBZ Kai What is your Favorite Saga?

Jdawg9876

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jdawg9876
3DS FC
4399-1836-0019
Cool Choice I finish Brotherhood which is one of the best anime series I ever seen I do think Brotherhood is way better than original what about you?
I agree, Brotherhood is better overall but the original still has it's moments where it stands out and is better than Brotherhood. Like the whole Nina thing :(
in One Piece I'm in Enies Lobby arc Luffy Vs Lucci Cool Battle I might watch Fairy Tail in the future I heard that is good
Luffy vs. Lucci is the gr8est anime battle, in my opinion. I'd also recommend Fairy Tail cause it's one of those 'feel good' animes, I guess? It has a lot of flaws and borrows a lot of things from One Piece but it's just a fun show to enjoy with friends.
and DBZ I lost count how many time I watched I can count this one cuz I'm watching DBZ Kai What is your Favorite Saga?
Dbz is my favorite anime, has been since I was a young, young, toddler, my favorite saga is the Android Saga just because it let's all of the Z-Fighters have their moment to shine, before everything was all 'Super Saiyan this and Super Saiyan that'.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
But I think I can share some of my favorite animes
upload_2015-12-28_15-28-4.jpeg

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Middy13

Smash Rookie
Shows I remember enjoying. No particular order:
  • Hikaru no Go - An original coming of age story that isn't horrible; that alone is a feat worth celebrating. That it is accomplished with 90% of the scenes devoted to an ancient board game is nothing short of astounding.
  • The Devil Is a Part-Timer -I thought this was hilarious
  • Psycho Pass - Compelling dystopian story line that feels a bit like a Phillip K D. novel.

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805

*Cue "Suizen Reika ~komusou~" by Ishii Kouji from the Darker Than Black -Gemini of the Meteor- Original Soundtrack*

Of the 5 animes you've mentioned, the emphasized one is the only one that I'm confident to say would NOT be considered cliche, for it's probably the most intelligently grounded series out of those 5 mentioned. Well, as grounded as you can get with rational-minded Contractors, whose superpowers can actually have significant prices to pay for using them (even in the middle of heated battles, which HAVE been shown to actively get in their way enough to lead to openings that get punished!), which helps make its numerous battles loaded with crafty strategies. Series like DtB are among my go-to examples for how prices for superpowers, including their direct impact on the users' performances in battles and other settings, should be handled in any story featuring them, since it adds weight, tension, and even the possibility that legitimately believable losses could actually happen to folks (both villains and even heroes!) to the fights.

Its setting, much like the Contractors' powers and how they use them, is also (darkly) creative, most notably with what the stars in that universe's sky REALLY mean....

Also, DtB's OSTs (both the orignal & GotM, and even the Gaiden OVAs), to this day, still get a surprising amount of airtime in my playlist. Among the most frequent are:

Original (Yoko Kanno~): Highheel Runaway,
Tenderly,
Keiyakusha,
Water Forest (One of the greatest Ep Preview songs I've ever had the honor of hearing, ESPECIALLY because of the utterly philosophical-sounding narrator that profoundly BASKS in the spotlight of the majority of them, much like how Rika Furude/Tamura Yukari OWNED the Ep Previews for Higurashi Season 1),
Night Cruise,
abingdon boys school's "HOWLING" >:3

Thank you DtB, for having introduced me to the wondrously manly band that which is abingdon boys school, who have then gone on to bring us "STRENGTH." (Soul Eater's 4th ED), the peppy hype Sengoku Basara OP Single (including its remix, which is the B-Side of the next release that's tied to a certain potentially really hard to talk about anime that's smothered with Harsher In Hindsight, due to a certain real life disaster, the devastation from which is likely still lingering to this day), and their most personally/globally hard-hitting/feels-generating single, "Kimi no Uta", the OP for Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

*Takes a HUGE breath for having brought THAT series up* To be frank, it's really because of its association with the most globally important anime of Summer 2009 (In terms of how close it is to real life, how much flak one will probably get for DARING to speak lightly of its subject matter, and the intentionally incredibly high levels of serious impact that the creators wanted it to have, I'd put it in the same league as Grave of the Fireflies (which is my absolute most favorite Studio Ghibli film, above Only Yesterday/Omohide Poroporo at 2nd place and even Princess Mononoke at 3rd place, which MIGHT say something quite profound about me....) and Now and Then, Here and There, which are almost 10 years apart from each other in regards to release dates) that I find myself REALLY hesitating to publicly speak of that song, even for praising it.

Anyways, to bring the heavy air back down to how it was earlier, next song! Rie fu's "Tsuki Akari" (which trumps her performance for Bleach's 1st ED by a LONG shot! >:D)

Antic Cafe's whole 2 song album from their OP2 Single (both the actual OP2, "Kakusei Heroism ~THE HERO WITHOUT A "NAME"~", and its B-Side, "Respect Mami ~Hito no Yaku Tatereba Ii Jibun no Toku na Koto de~") :3
HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR's "Mushroom" from their ED2 Single album "Dreams" (IMO, "Mushroom" is THEE song to do the Caramelldansen to, among a whole host of other dances. ;3)

GotM/Ryuusei no Gemini (Ishii Kouji, who, IMO, was able to admirably rise to the standards that Yoko Kanno set for this series): Savage Dog Cerberus (being a :4duckhunt: main with an aggressive rushdown style, it'd only be natural that I'd make use of this. :3 Though I've yet to actually use it.... Maybe when the Cloud boards get around to talking about DH, perhaps??),
Galaxy Train,
Suizen Reika ~komusou~ (Much like Water Forest, the Ep Previews were also among the highlights for this song, and skipping to the 01:52 mark of it is how you'll find the Ep Preview sections of it, and much like in Season 1, the narrators for this section SOLD this song with its profoundly philosophical remarks, though its more... emotionally tinged than it was in S1, perhaps due to Suou being the main focus of GotM, which I ADORED),
Yahweh's Forest,
and Stereopony's Tsukiakari no Michishirube (aka Moonlight Guidepost). Sorry abingdon, but your ED here pales in comparison to most of your other songs, including your 1st OP for the original DtB and Soul Eater's 4th ED (which came out before Gemini, right? If so.... :ohwell:).

Gaiden OVAs: Morning Dew, Funny Trial, & The National Flower's Mist.

Last edited:

MetalMonk

Smash Cadet
*Cue "Suizen Reika ~komusou~" by Ishii Kouji from the Darker Than Black -Gemini of the Meteor- Original Soundtrack*

Of the 5 animes you've mentioned, the emphasized one is the only one that I'm confident to say would NOT be considered cliche, for it's probably the most intelligently grounded series out of those 5 mentioned. Well, as grounded as you can get with rational-minded Contractors, whose superpowers can actually have significant prices to pay for using them (even in the middle of heated battles, which HAVE been shown to actively get in their way enough to lead to openings that get punished!), which helps make its numerous battles loaded with crafty strategies. Series like DtB are among my go-to examples for how prices for superpowers, including their direct impact on the users' performances in battles and other settings, should be handled in any story featuring them, since it adds weight, tension, and even the possibility that legitimately believable losses could actually happen to folks (both villains and even heroes!) to the fights.

Its setting, much like the Contractors' powers and how they use them, is also (darkly) creative, most notably with what the stars in that universe's sky REALLY mean....

Also, DtB's OSTs (both the orignal & GotM, and even the Gaiden OVAs), to this day, still get a surprising amount of airtime in my playlist. Among the most frequent are:

Original (Yoko Kanno~): Highheel Runaway,
Tenderly,
Keiyakusha,
Water Forest (One of the greatest Ep Preview songs I've ever had the honor of hearing, ESPECIALLY because of the utterly philosophical-sounding narrator that profoundly BASKS in the spotlight of the majority of them, much like how Rika Furude/Tamura Yukari OWNED the Ep Previews for Higurashi Season 1),
Night Cruise,
abingdon boys school's "HOWLING" >:3

Thank you DtB, for having introduced me to the wondrously manly band that which is abingdon boys school, who have then gone on to bring us "STRENGTH." (Soul Eater's 4th ED), the peppy hype Sengoku Basara OP Single (including its remix, which is the B-Side of the next release that's tied to a certain potentially really hard to talk about anime that's smothered with Harsher In Hindsight, due to a certain real life disaster, the devastation from which is likely still lingering to this day), and their most personally/globally hard-hitting/feels-generating single, "Kimi no Uta", the OP for Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

*Takes a HUGE breath for having brought THAT series up* To be frank, it's really because of its association with the most globally important anime of Summer 2009 (In terms of how close it is to real life, how much flak one will probably get for DARING to speak lightly of its subject matter, and the intentionally incredibly high levels of serious impact that the creators wanted it to have, I'd put it in the same league as Grave of the Fireflies (which is my absolute most favorite Studio Ghibli film, above Only Yesterday/Omohide Poroporo at 2nd place and even Princess Mononoke at 3rd place, which MIGHT say something quite profound about me....) and Now and Then, Here and There, which are almost 10 years apart from each other in regards to release dates) that I find myself REALLY hesitating to publicly speak of that song, even for praising it.

Anyways, to bring the heavy air back down to how it was earlier, next song! Rie fu's "Tsuki Akari" (which trumps her performance for Bleach's 1st ED by a LONG shot! >:D)

Antic Cafe's whole 2 song album from their OP2 Single (both the actual OP2, "Kakusei Heroism ~THE HERO WITHOUT A "NAME"~", and its B-Side, "Respect Mami ~Hito no Yaku Tatereba Ii Jibun no Toku na Koto de~") :3
HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR's "Mushroom" from their ED2 Single album "Dreams" (IMO, "Mushroom" is THEE song to do the Caramelldansen to, among a whole host of other dances. ;3)

GotM/Ryuusei no Gemini (Ishii Kouji, who, IMO, was able to admirably rise to the standards that Yoko Kanno set for this series): Savage Dog Cerberus (being a :4duckhunt: main with an aggressive rushdown style, it'd only be natural that I'd make use of this. :3 Though I've yet to actually use it.... Maybe when the Cloud boards get around to talking about DH, perhaps??),
Galaxy Train,
Suizen Reika ~komusou~ (Much like Water Forest, the Ep Previews were also among the highlights for this song, and skipping to the 01:52 mark of it is how you'll find the Ep Preview sections of it, and much like in Season 1, the narrators for this section SOLD this song with its profoundly philosophical remarks, though its more... emotionally tinged than it was in S1, perhaps due to Suou being the main focus of GotM, which I ADORED),
Yahweh's Forest,
and Stereopony's Tsukiakari no Michishirube (aka Moonlight Guidepost). Sorry abingdon, but your ED here pales in comparison to most of your other songs, including your 1st OP for the original DtB and Soul Eater's 4th ED (which came out before Gemini, right? If so.... :ohwell:).

Gaiden OVAs: Morning Dew, Funny Trial, & The National Flower's Mist.

Yeah, it was pretty cool show.

Although, judging from you post I think you had more of an ear than an eye for it.

Pretty miffed it's near impossible to get season 1 on DVD or Blu-ray.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, I've been a fan of anime for a very long while now.

My faves include Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, BLEACH, One Piece, Toriko and especially the Gundam series.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Huge anime fan right here. I will watch most anything except extreme gore (à la Blood-C) or most mecha/gundam style anime's. If I had to pick a favourite genre it would be slice-of-life style stories that go a bit into the psychological aspect of humanity. The amount of anime I've watched so far is getting close to 150 so it's understandably hard for me to list ALL of my favourites, but I can probably list a few:

10- Charlotte - Now most people I know would say that Key's other hit anime Angel Beats was better than Charlotte. And I would agree with them. If it wasn't for Episode 7. This anime is worth watching purely for that episode. I won't spoil, but trust me.

9- Kimi No Iru Machi- I'll admit... as an anime this really isn't the greatest. It jumps around a lot and lacks a cohesive story. But! Big but! But I loved the manga so much I kinda forced myself to love this anime. I would recommend you guys read this manga tho.

8- No Game No Life - Colours! The plot of this anime is great and should keep you hooked, especially those tricky psychological games. But that's not even the best part of this anime.The vivid (and I mean VIVID) colours are just beautiful. If the real world used purples as well as this anime then my eyes would explode out of my head.

7- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - Colours Pt II, Electric Boogaloo! Just as beautiful animation as the previous entry. The big seller for this title though is the musical score and the characters. Both will trap you in their web and by the end I promise it will have you in tears... With how amazing it was of course.

6- Kokoro Connect - If there is one anime I keep coming back to time after time, this is probably it. The story is amazing and all the characters mean something to the progression in such a meaningful way. I'll admit it doesn't stand out overly in any aspect per se. But in no area is it lacking. The fact that it is at least solid 7/10 in EVERY aspect is reason enough to watch it.

5- Hyouka - A really cute slice-of-life driven, again, by its fantastic characters. Personally I think it has an amazing story and the animation can also be stunning at some times. A very personal favourite of mine

4- Samurai Champloo - As with Charlotte, most people would put Watanabe's Cowboy Bebop on their list instead... but I couldn't. In my honest opinion I think Samurai Champloo was a much better anime in every aspect. The mix of Hip Hop tropes with an Edo-era setting doesn't SOUND like it will work, but it does in every way

2 or 3- Steins;Gate - Brilliant. This anime is just brilliant. I can not sing more praise for this anime. I can't even explain in a short sentence WHY it's so brilliant. Just watch it.

2 or 3- Death Parade - Brilliant. This anime is just brilliant. I can not sing more praise for this anime. I can't even explain in a short sentence WHY it's so brilliant. Just watch it.
Okay so I copy-pasted. Sue me. But this anime and Steins;Gate are both just so good its hard to put down in words. Its why it was so hard to decide which was better

1- AnoHana - The 1st anime to make me bawl my eyes out. The only anime to make me do so every. single. time. I watch it. The story is just really that good. If you don't like to have feelings you didn't know you had come boiling out of you, then don't watch it. But you sir are missing out.

Honourable meantions: Usagi Drop, Shokugeki no Souma, Toradora, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga $hitai, Kamisama no Memochou, The World God Only Knows

And because I love to cause more discussion... Dishonourable Mentions: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Another, The Haruhi Suzumiya series, Attack on Titan, and Clannad (not After Story) were not even close to as good as people say they are imo. (COME AT ME)

Last edited:

Flonominal

Smash Rookie
My Top 3 Anime:
3)Yu Yu Hakusho:
My favorite fighting shonen. Although it relies on nakama power-ups, the show makes up for it because of the interesting characters, both good and evil, that are on a league of their own compared to other shonen. The fights are also excellent.
2)Cowboy Bebop:
I love Cowboy Bebop because it perfects the more episodic format of anime. Each episode provides a fun and exciting story while also maintaining 3-dimensional characters and an interesting setting.
1)Ghost in the Shell 1995 Movie, and Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex 1st Season and 2nd Gig:
Excellent marvels of animation that are everything I want in entertainment, heavy philosophical themes about humanity that are food for thought. The movie is absolutely amazing, and the two television show seasons expand on many ideas established through the movie. This is a must-watch to any anime fan that wants entertainment that not only feeds the eyes, but also the brain.

Honorable Mentions:
Samurai Champloo
Rurouni Kenshin
Gurren Lagann
Trigun

*I haven't seen any anime past 2010 in its entirety because most of it doesn't interest me all that much.
*I am also trying to watch some shows regarded as good, like Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
I always get nervous when talking about anime. I mean, I love anime and all. I recently began watching a lot and I have this long list of anime shows I plan to watch. I just don't wanna sound like or get called a weeaboo or something like that for liking a certain anime y'know? Sometimes, I feel like I'm watching all the bad anime and I'm overlooking all its faults because its cute or contains a lot of action or fan-service and I should be watching good anime that has none of that. I know I shouldn't listen to other people about what I should or shouldn't like and heck, I love watching trash anime sometimes, but it still bothers me if I really am a weeaboo. I dunno, but what I do know is once I know the person I'm talking to is cool with what I watch, it doesn't bother me too much.
Anyway, I've been watching a lot of Love Live and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure recently. But I've also been watching some Steins;Gate, which I heard is pretty good. I'm not sure if I'm understanding it, but I hear it all ties together in the end. One of my favorite anime shows however, is Cowboy Bebop. Oh, and Cory in the House. Can't forget about that.

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
Despite the profile pic, I love moe. Like a lot. Like way too much. Love Live! is currently one of my favorite shows. Clannad is up in my favorites, along with Idolm@ster. That's not all I love though. I do enjoy pretty much anything from Toradora to Gurren Lagann.

Last edited:

Fox who?

Smash Cadet
NNID
xanhil
3DS FC
4957-6199-7845
And because I love to cause more discussion... Dishonourable Mentions: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Another, The Haruhi Suzumiya series, Attack on Titan, and Clannad (not After Story) were not even close to as good as people say they are imo. (COME AT ME)
NGE is overhyped imo

Another is simply a mediocre but enjoyable show to me, mostly caused I liked Mei

I really liked the first season of Haruhi, had great potential, but then the second season came and we got the terrible 8 and almost no character development

AOT is also overhyped

I enjoyed Clannad a lot. It is the only one you listed that I can strongly disagree with you on. The point with that sort of show is to make you fall in love with it's characters. The problem with it though, is that it is a very hyped up schoolgirl comedy with drama mixed in. I'll give you that the drama can be quite over the top.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
I don't really watch Anime all that much but instead I read Manga more. I'll just make a short list (Hopefully? I can't promise before I go insane with the keyboard) and specify which ones they are.

- Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga ONLY): I loved this to the bitter end and actually bet with my brother on how the next one was going to go, since neither of us had read it before I started it and the ending was awesome for me. I'm impressed I managed to avoid spoilers for it for so long but now I feel gratified for doing so. I'm contemplating watching the anime for it, but probably only subs depending on the voices for the dub.

- Infinite Stratos (Anime ONLY): I just liked it a lot and the fact the ISs (IS's? ISes? I give up.) were based lightly around Gundam machines made it all the better. I really need to get back into it, however, since I left it after a while.

- Higarushi When They Cry (Manga All, Anime up to about 10): I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Partially the reason why I kept on reading Manga in the first place, I minimally spoiled myself by reading one of the books when I was younger of like the middle of the Rena arc and ditched it since it wasn't interesting at the time (Bad choice ;-;) but I managed to finish it slowly as the downtown library had all of the books, but it wasn't constantly in stock. Working slowly on the Anime right now, but letting myself take breaks somedays.

The rest of them I really can't explain: Genshiken, Arisa, Blood +, Blood C, Blood Blockade Battlefront, Another, Emma, The Prince of Tennis, Blue Exorcist, and a lot more that I can't name off the top of my head. If my memory was better I'd name more. All here are manga.

Don't ask why I'm insane, just agree with it n_n

Last edited:

SKC | Morotai

Smash Rookie
I'm a closeted anime fan; I'm not all that eager to tell people in real life I watch it, mostly because of the kinds of perceptions that some people have about it and its fans. I know that's kind of silly, but I don't know that I have the patience or guts to defend it, so I usually just don't bring it up.

As for my favorite shows:
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (2009)
  • Sketchbook ~full color's~ (2007)
  • GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class (2009)
  • Bamboo Blade (2007)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura (1998)
  • K-On! (2009)/K-On!! (2010)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)
  • Princess Tutu (2002)
  • Non Non Biyori (2013)/Non Non Biyori Repeat (2015)
I mostly like simple slice of life stuff (Non Non Biyori Repeat is my current favorite), but I watch other stuff from time to time too. I'm looking forward to the new Digimon thing, since I've enjoyed watching the Digimon TV shows.

I should probably also mention Clannad, since that's where my signature quote is from.
Is K-On any good, I've debated watching it but it sems a little pointless in some respects, like, generic moe-**** anime.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I've not seen K-On either, so I'm also in the same boat as you. However, I normally don't see it being put in the same league as BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad and Nodame Cantabile, the love letters to rock 'n roll & classical music (Princess Tutu can fit this too, technically!) respectively, which MIGHT be a warning sign for the both of us, for I don't see folks describing K-On as a love letter to light music, which.... is a shame, since that would've helped it stand out from so many other slice-of-life series out there in a more positive way (which other series like Sketchbook ~full color's~, GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class (shout-outs to Babycowland for name-dropping those earlier :D), and Aria the Animation/Natural/OVA/Origination/Avvenire (Ep 2 SHOULD be out soon, I think~?) have all admirably succeeded at doing in their own ways, which is why I STILL ADORE them as of this post). :(

If a love letter to a musical genre is what you're hoping for, I'd sooner check out BECK & Nodame Cantabile... and MAYBE Sakamichi no Apollon?? *Has YET to see that for some reason....* >_>

*Scrolls up to his last post here, where he mentioned the 2nd OP to Darker Than Black, and remembers writing up something special using that song* Speaking of love letters....

*Cue "Kakusei Heroism ~THE HERO WITHOUT A "NAME"~" by Antic Cafe from the Darker Than Black OP2 Single, which I have been rocking out to for a LONG while (I'm talking for a couple hours in a row here~ 8O), over the course of a few days now, due to a VERY special fan script involving that song and my ambitiously-in-perpetual-development fic series, Shimmering Eyes, that I'm VERY pleased to showcase here tonight~* 8D

*Cue "Kakusei Heroism ~THE HERO WITHOUT A "NAME"~" by Antic Cafe from the Darker Than Black OP2 Single*

In the interest of sparking some sort of activity here, I would like to share a fan anime opening music video script for my ambitiously-in-perpetual-development (fan)fic series, Shimmering Eyes, that I recently wrote up earlier this week, using the above bumped up song as the audio basis for the fan opening. I personally LOVE writing up these sort of sequences, but this is the first one that I've actually managed to completely finish.

Before I begin, I would like to warn you that, as the very name of the (fan)fic series might imply, there will definitely be a solid focus on a certain E-Sports friendly liquid, which a considerable amount of the cast of Shimmering Eyes will invoke for the effects of sympathetically defensive moe and even hot-blooded offensive strength.

<Kehtas the male orange :kirby: with blue suede shoes> What Splooshi's trying to say here, in other words, is that me and my buddies are going to be crying an awful lot during this OP, so if the teary-eyed text imageries of me, my Animal Buddies, and a Waddle Dee brandishing the Shimmering and even Raining Eyes for various reasons are going to bother you, there is still time to back out of the rest of this post.

<RL Me> You just namedropped the Shimmering and Raining Eyes without explaining what those mean. Care to elaborate for the audience who don't have access to my Jarte rich text files?

<Kehtas> Sure~ ¦D Just make sure to provide the example images when I ask for them, OK?

<RL Me> Already got 'eem~

<Kehtas> Wonderful. ¦) Now then, this is an example of the Shimmering Eyes:

<Kehtas> And this is an example of the Raining Eyes:

<Kehtas> These photos should be enough to answer your question, Splooshi.

<RL Me> I would like to think so, myself. Thanks. :D

<Kehtas> You're welcome. =)

<RL Me> Now then, for those of you who are still here after the warning and photos as terminology exposition, allow me to finally share that fan anime opening script here:
*Cue the TV Size version of "Kakusei Heroism ~THE HERO WITHOUT A "NAME"~" by Antic Cafe from the Darker Than Black OP2 Single*
Which is located in the Spoiler below:
*NOTE: Syndicate's English fansubs were used for the translation to this, the lyrics from which will be provided after almost every time stamp, including both that fansub's english translation & the original romaji included in that fansub.*

*NOTE 2: While I've taken as much care as I could to keep certain aspects accurate to how they actually work in the series, I've still taken some liberties at certain points, since there ARE anime openings that depict events that never actually HAPPEN IN the show, such as the Last Exile OP. X3*

OP Start:

00:00

*Cue footage of a dazzling quick-traveling sequence through the caverns of Onion Ocean, fueled by actively running waters, that alternates between going above and under water at various points*

00:12

"Saikou gasu wo buchiyabure"~

"Slam the gas pedal to the floor."~

<Kehtas the male orange :4kirby: with blue suede shoes appearing as a Rainbow Curse styled submarine, with Kowi the cerise colored Chuchu-styled female Octopus (with twin pumpkin colored bows) and Yait the jungle green colored Kine-styled Sunfish appearing as they normally are> *All dramatically swim downwards as they graze past a whole seabed's worth of bubble-encased mines fired from Crabbos*

<A Horde of Green Blippers> *Attempt to chase the Trio through the bubbled minefield, only for a bunch of them to literally get blown up by the mines*

00:16

"Minareta keshike wo kegashi--
te~"

"Pollute the view you see every day."~

<The Remaining Green Blitter Horde> *Continue to chase the Trio!*

<Kehtas, Kowi, & Yait> *Physically split up from each other upon reaching a forward dead end with three possible directions (left, right, and up), with each taking a path almost of their own (Kehtas goes left, while Yait & Kowi go right), yet they don't REALLY commit to traveling down either path just yet...*

<Kehtas> *Deliberately starts generating LOADS of bubbles with his rotors towards the junction!*

<Yait> *Encases Kowi in a large air bubble that travels upwards, then blows more large bubbles in front of her to support Kehtas's bubble collection*

<Kowi> *Grins while narrowing her eyes at the approaching Blitters and smugly waving her arms towards herself, beckoning their attention*

00:19

"Sekai ga gyaku ni kaiten suru~"

"The world's changing, so why shouldn't you?"~

<The Remaining Green Blitter Horde> *Swim headstrong into the bubbles, recalling too late that there was a solid wall beyond the bubbles, their rushing zeal being what makes them crash into that wall face-first*

<Kowi> *While still encased in the bubble, gapes far ahead of both the left and right paths, spotting giant holes at the ends of both paths, which turn out to be housing giant eels that are NOW LUNGING towards Kehtas & Yait, ALARMING her abruptly enough to widen her eyes in shock as she fearfully rallies for the duo's attention with her cries while frantically motioning her arms upwards!*

00:22

"Nichijou wo tobikoe~"

"Break free of your normal life."~

<Kehtas & Yait> *Upon hearing Kowi's harried cries, are shaken out of their bubble-blowing stupor, and immediately look up at their frantically waving companion and the upper opening, where they RACE towards with enough speed to not only escape the giant eels' gulps (causing them to inadvertently collide with each other while their mouths were open, spooking and sparing the Remaining Green Blitter Horde!), but also pop the bubble that Kowi was encased in upon actually reaching her!*

00:25

*Title card of the name of the series, "Shimmering Eyes", bubbly pops up from the bottommost side of the screen, along with the subtitle, "The Bubble Bursting Chapter", and said text stays at the bottommost side, keeping the delightfully swimming Trio well within focus at more than just the top half of the screen*

00:37

"Oshioseteku fuan ga mada kutsuu wo umidashi--
te~"

"Feel the constant, painful sense of apprehension."~

Wriss (the fully carrot orange colored Rick-styled Hamster with dodger blue suede shoes), Teyin (the fully dark orange colored Nago-styled Cat), and Sirt (the azure colored Coo-styled Owl) are all overlooking the splendor of the ocean under the yellow Mr. Bright-lit night, when the Trio from earlier (Kehtas, Yait, and Kowi) all wash up ashore, presumably unconscious, before their very eyes!

Tobe (the robin egg blue Pitch-styled Bird) runs towards the scene from the left side of the beach, right on time to witness JUST the sight of the Animal Trio crowding over the sunfish, octopus, and Batamon, prompting him to anxiously call out to the Trio, which greatly shocks them all to the point of their eyes shimmering with tears of worry, especially Sirt!

00:44

"Nigetai hodo tsurai toki mo keshi--
te hitori ja naieee~"

"I know I'm not the only one who wants to run from his pain."~

<Kowi> *Awakens quietly until she tries to move her arms, the unexpected aches from which jolt her wide awake with strained wails, leading to her eyes welling with tears!*

<Teyin> *Squeezes the Batamon's sides, intending to eject any liquids he may have injested*

<Wriss> *Horizontally lies down to physically line up with the sunfish and gathers his breath before exhaling said breath inside the sunfish's mouth*

<Sirt> *Tearfully flies towards Tobe, who's now flying towards his friends as quickly as he can, and cries out to him, symbolized by a shaky speech bubble (looming at the top part of the screen, above everyone in the scene) containing the line, "We vow to you on our Shimmering Eyes....!"*

00:49

"Yasashiku tsutsumikomu kaze ga tatakau yuuki~"

"The gentle breeze gives me the strength to fight on,"~

<Tobe> *With Kehtas holding onto his talons, flaps his wings with a bit more speed than usual to safely descend onto the wooden pier*

<Mote the turquoise Waddle Dee with a teal bandanna> ^^ *Waves at the duo who just arrived*

<Kehtas> *Lets go of Tobe's talons upon his feet reaching the road, and soon after letting go, feels Tobe resting atop of his head for a bit* :o

<Mote> *Giggles upon such a sight*

00:55

"Majiri kusuo ga~"

"As fantasy melds into reality."~

<Tobe> *Just as quickly as he briefly respited atop of Kehtas, he departs upwards into the blue sky with a few clouds here & there*

<Mote> *Cheerfully waves good-bye to the soaring Tobe*

<Kehtas's 1st Person POV> *While waving good-bye to the departing Tobe, he delusionally imagines a light pink Batamon with a tuft of hair on the forehead, cat-like ears, and a straw hat with a blue ring in the middle of it, gracefully floating down from the sky with open arms, eyes, and mouth....*
((AKA, :4kirby: after copying :4jigglypuff:'s ability))

00:59

"genjitsu ni kawaru~"

"As fantasy melds into reality."~

... Only for said imaginary Batamon to LITERALLY go up in smoke as a sneakily intrusive Wheelie (with a bright red covering) deliberately emits ACTUAL smoke from its exhaust pipes pointed towards the imaginary Batamon.... and a return to the 3rd Person Perspective as both Kehtas & Mote become covered in that smoke as well, causing them to cough (just Kehtas, really??) with their flippers in front of their mouths, also making their closed eyes reflexively shimmer*

01:02

"Saikou gasu wo buchiyabure"~

"Slam the gas pedal to the floor."~

<Kehtas & Mote> *Rather than draining their stamina by attempting to give chase to the Wheelie that is CLEARLY racing circles around them, they hold their ground while standing back-to-back, ADAMANTLY REFUSING to wipe away ANY of their free-flowing tears, which allows them to INTENSELY focus on WHERE the Wheelie currently is AND is going to be at!*

01:05

"Minareta keshike wo kegashi--
te~"

"Pollute the view you see every day."~

*Camera Angle switches to a 1st person view from both of their perspectives, changing to the other as the Wheelie races out of sight of one of them, whose visions are DEFINITELY blurry from the tears still nestling in their eyes, yet are able to actually keep up with the Wheelie's movements (when within their viewpoints, that is)!*

01:08

"Sekai ga gyaku ni kaiten suru~"

"The world's changing, so why shouldn't you?"~

<Wheelie> *FINALLY drives towards Mote!*

<Mote> *Grasps Kehtas's left flipper with her right flipper, allowing her to keep facing the Wheelie charging towards her as she makes a daring leap towards the Wheelie, with Kehtas in flipper behind her!*

<Kehtas> *Is completely caught off-guard by her sudden jump timing, causing him to panic scream aloud as he is lifted into the air by Mote!*

01:11

"Nichijou wo tobikoe~"

"Break free of your normal life~"

<Mote> *Lands on the Wheelie's covering, feet-first, and then firmly seats herself & grabs the left handle with her left flipper before letting go of Kehtas to grab the right handle*

<Kehtas> *Lands on top of Mote's head, head-first, and then tightly clings onto the tied back portion of her bandanna for dear life, as his whole body is helplessly flopping about in the air!*

<Mote & Kehtas> *Both leave a stream of tears in their wake as they drive down the wooden pier on the Wheelie!*

01:14

"Noore no karada to sono subete wo~"

"Your body, your mind, and all that you are"~

*Camera switches to a horizontal semi-close-up of Wriss late at night, sitting at his desk with various open books at his sides and a jumbled collection of seemingly random thought bubbles floating around in the air around him, containing both visuals and words hovering over his head, as he bewilderingly frowns with his head facing down at what APPEARS to be a written report with several sentences already written on it, which he moves onto one of the open books.*

His frown gradually flips upside down as he sheds tears onto the desk itself, which is also when the hovering thought bubbles begin to connect and fuse with each other to form a coherent mental image with complete sentences.

01:17

"Sonzai igai was sasenai~"

"cannot free you from your existence."~

*Camera switches to Teyin bartending at Steins;Keep, where he is mournfully gazing at a teary-eyed turquoise Waddle Dee with a teal bandanna (a female named Mote), who was shakily ABOUT to absorb ((Thanks anime, for showing off how Waddle Dees consume food & drink~ XD)) a non-alcoholic cocktail called Cinderella (orange + lemon + pineapple juices + ice), only to regretfully put down the glass to the side and climb atop of the counter to firmly hug Teyin (who hugs her back), the both of them now openly weeping*

01:20

"Sora wo tobenakatta nagai hiyou wa sekai wo miryou suru~"

"Those long days of halted flight throw your worthless life into sharp relief."~

*Camera switches to Sirt carefully tending to one of Tobe's wings (atop of a palm tree at a beach near thee Onion Ocean with a long, straight, and thin top that can serve as a platform), which Tobe forlornly stares at with Shimmering Eyes of nervousness as Sirt tests its movement ranges. Upon making certain movements with Tobe's wing, Sirt empathetically winces as sudden jolts of pain are triggered within Tobe, causing him to yelp aloud as his eyes transition from Shimmering to Raining!*

<Sirt> *With Shimmering Eyes of his own (due to empathetically hearing Tobe's pained yelps that he technically DID cause to an extent) and a determined look of concern, he positions his own wings at ground level, so Tobe can walk on top of them, and then he lifts him up onto the top of his own head*

<Tobe> *Sports a strained smile as he lets his tears trickle down his cheeks without wiping away any of them, as he hangs onto Sirt with his good wing*

01:26 to 01:29 (THE END)

*Camera angle pans upwards as Sirt cautiously soars into the early moonlit distance with Tobe atop his head*

OP END!

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
If anyone is looking for some animes to get excited about, and to keep an eye out for in the future; than I have a few recommendations. First up is ReLIFE, whose art style is set to be fantastic, and has a great cast of characters, with a very interesting premise of reliving highschool attached to it. Bungou Stray Dogs looks interesting as well, and is being handled by Bones which, as we know from Darker than Black and Noragami, can do a great job with this mystery anime. For those more inclined to action filled shonen animes, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri should meet your standard for something newish. I will admit though, it is being done by the same studio as Attack on Titan, so expect a few similarities. And finally, if you really enjoyed Barakamon from 2 years ago (I know I did) than Handa-kun should be up your alley. This prequel follows Handa in his highschool days, as he was just becoming a well known calligraphist. While it won't have the cuteness that is Naru, it should have something else to fit your needs

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Is K-On any good, I've debated watching it but it sems a little pointless in some respects, like, generic moe-**** anime.
I like K-On! a bunch, especially the second season and movie. I know the series gets some flack for being pandering moe fluff, but I thought it was fine and really didn't pander to otaku as much as some have suggested. There's not really much "fanservice" at all, for example, especially compared to something like Love Live!. And the second season has some pretty heartwarming stuff that I personally really enjoyed.

I do think it's more of a simple slice of life with music thrown in than a show that attempts to realistically portray being in a band though, so if the latter is what you're after, K-On! may not be the show for you.

Hax Sign

Smash Rookie
I'm just pouring all of my life into Gintama. It's basically my life now, to be honest! It has all of the things I desire, you see:

1. Jokes
2. A good main character
3. References
4. Parodies
5. Surprisingly intricate plotlines
6. References
7. Stupidly childish humor.
8. ALL OF THE REFERENCES

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is the best anime ever, no contest.
Fight me weebs :^)
I don't know about best, but it was a really good series. I read it a while back and I loved it. I think things like JoJo are exactly what anime today is missing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom