• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime Fan

Terumi

Smash Cadet
NNID
TerumixKokonoe
3DS FC
0104-2953-8205
Any anime fans on here? If so what are your favorite animes? My favs are Gintama, Psycho-Pass, Parasyte The Maxim, Gurren Lagaan, and Full metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I am not an anime fan, but I had a friend who loved anime. I recall she watched something called "Sword Art Online," I believe?

Since we are on the topic, I have a question. What defines anime from a regular cartoon? I'm interested in what anime is like, and I am considering checking it out.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
I have too many favorites to list.
If I had to pick my top 10 though, my list would probably be:
1. Angel Beats - Everyone should watch this. I don't care what your objections are, just watch it.
2. Love, Chunibyou & Other Delusions
3. Hanasuka Iroha
4. No Game No Life
5. Squid Girl
6. Kill la Kill
7. My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu
8. Sunday Without God
9. Trinity Seven
10. Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I enjoy anime. I wouldn't call myself a super fan.

Duplighost Duplighost -- Anime is a cartoon that is animated in Japan in the purest sense. Unlike most western cartoons, however, they are marketed to different age groups and demographics. Sure we have our adult cartoons like South Park, but they are generally comedies and the cartoon aspect is more to play into the comedy. Anime can cover the whole spectrum.

I also really enjoy Angel Beats. It is on Netflix last I checked and only has like 13 or 14 episodes total so it is easy to get into and watch the whole story.

Other ones I enjoy are Mai-Hime, Cardcaptor Sakura, Fate/Stay Night. I'm sure there are others that I just cannot remember right now.

Terumi

Smash Cadet
NNID
TerumixKokonoe
3DS FC
0104-2953-8205
I am not an anime fan, but I had a friend who loved anime. I recall she watched something called "Sword Art Online," I believe?

Since we are on the topic, I have a question. What defines anime from a regular cartoon? I'm interested in what anime is like, and I am considering checking it out.
Really a cartoon is animation. So just classify Japanese cartoons as anime. It depends on what your taste is their are multiple genres for anime.

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
Umm, I only watch yuru yuri. It was my first anime introduced to me by my friends and I ended up liking it veryyy much. So yeahhhh, just yuru yuri I guess.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Current favorite is Black Bullet. It's not perfect and I'm aware of that, but I still love it.

Others that are close to that spot are Squid Girl, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Space Dandy, Nichijou, and NOUCOME.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'm trying to get back into anime and I'm thinking of starting with Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo since I was a huge fan of Cowboy Bebop.

I'm trying to get back into anime and I'm thinking of starting with Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo since I was a huge fan of Cowboy Bebop.
Samurai Champloo is crazy good. I like it almost as much as Cowboy Bebop, which is my #1 because I'm boring.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Samurai Champloo is crazy good. I like it almost as much as Cowboy Bebop, which is my #1 because I'm boring.
I never got to finish Champloo so that's why I'm taking this opportunity to watch it alongside Black Lagoon.

We can be boring together because Bebop is also my #1 as of right now.

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I have seen Akira. I'll be honest, I didn't really care for it. I have some friends who really like it though.

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
I'm a little on and off with anime. Sometimes I'm in the mood to watch it and other times I'm not. I have friends who can sit down and watch tons every day, I just can't. Some of my favorites are Kill La Kill, Steins;Gate, Cowboy Bebop, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I'm a closeted anime fan; I'm not all that eager to tell people in real life I watch it, mostly because of the kinds of perceptions that some people have about it and its fans. I know that's kind of silly, but I don't know that I have the patience or guts to defend it, so I usually just don't bring it up.

As for my favorite shows:
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (2009)
  • Sketchbook ~full color's~ (2007)
  • GA Geijutsuka Art Design Class (2009)
  • Bamboo Blade (2007)
  • Cardcaptor Sakura (1998)
  • K-On! (2009)/K-On!! (2010)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2006)
  • Princess Tutu (2002)
  • Non Non Biyori (2013)/Non Non Biyori Repeat (2015)
I mostly like simple slice of life stuff (Non Non Biyori Repeat is my current favorite), but I watch other stuff from time to time too. I'm looking forward to the new Digimon thing, since I've enjoyed watching the Digimon TV shows.

I should probably also mention Clannad, since that's where my signature quote is from.

Last edited:

TacoLord9000

Smash Cadet
My favorite animes are probably Code Geass and Bleach. I didn't really get interested in anime until like a little over 2 years ago so I haven't seen very many animes.
I have not seen Cowboy Bepop or Neon Genesis Evangelion which I hear are both amazing animes so I am still missing out on a lot.
The only anime I ever really watched as a kid was DBZ and that was only because it was on Toonami. I guess Pokemon too but I tend to not think of the show as an anime for some reason.

The first anime that I really watched when I got older was Ore no Imouto (Oreimo). Though I like the anime personally, I can't really recommend it to other people since it has incestuous themes in it. Also people hate on the ending of it for no reason.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
I looove anime.

Sadly a lot I watch is bad anime (Mars of Destruction and Diabolik Lovers much?).

Might be because I like to rage about stuff.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I love FMA Brotherhood, Code Geass, and the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya <3
Those are my top three favorites of all time. Not only do I like them as something to watch that will give me a great sense of escape, but these three are objectively very well done. I'd even say Brotherhood is the most (nearly) perfect anime ever that I've seen.

I wish I could watch and review more anime, but college life takes priority

LionsBarrage458

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
You damn kids and your mongolian cartoons. Those animeys and mangos are no good for you. Those -removed- are brainwashing the western world with their enticing big eyed *****

Last edited by a moderator:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
Berserk is the only manga/anime I call myself a fan of. Think Fire Emblem except way darker.

The amount of detail Kentaro Miura puts into his work is phenomenal, though it also means he's slow to release new chapters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like and watch a lot of anime. Some of my absolute favorites are Kill la Kill, Steins;Gate, Gurren Lagann, and Mawaru Penguindrum. I like more but there's some anime that I like that everyone else hates. xD

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
I like more but there's some anime that I like that everyone else hates. xD
Everyone has their own opinions about this. It doesn't help that my favorite anime is dissed as an "Attack on Titan clone."

TheInkpen

Smash Rookie
I have too many favorites to list.
If I had to pick my top 10 though, my list would probably be:
1. Angel Beats - Everyone should watch this. I don't care what your objections are, just watch it.
2. Love, Chunibyou & Other Delusions
3. Hanasuka Iroha
4. No Game No Life
5. Squid Girl
6. Kill la Kill
7. My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu
8. Sunday Without God
9. Trinity Seven
10. Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?
kill la kill on an anime list oh god i never thought this day would come

OT: 10 that I like a decent enough amount to put on a top 10 list (although i've watched like 2000 so its hard to narrow down 10) would be something alone the lines of (in no particular order)

1. Katanagatari
2. Beck
3. My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu
4. Fate/Zero
5. Welcome to the NHK or FLCL
6. Gurren Lagann
7. Guilty Crown
8. Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou
9. Mushishi
10. Tatami Galaxy

Honorable mention to:
Ping Pong the animation, Bakemonogatari series, Great Teacher Onizuka, Death note, Gintama (excluded because only certain arcs are 10/10, not whole anime), Hajime no Ippo, Steins;Gate, Cowboy Beebop, and probably a lot more im missing

MetalMonk

Smash Cadet
I watch a fair bit in between work and the massive amount of other entertainment I partake in. (Manga, streams/playthroughs, and video games being the main contributors)

Personal List would have to be something like, and sorry for the long-fingeredness:

1. Evangelion
Hands down my favorite due to it being one of my first exposures, but, it also ties into psychology and Judeo-Christian religion both of which I studied as an interest.
If you haven't watched this one, I highly reconmend it.

2. Trigun
The second series I was shown and I was infatuated. There's so much to this series that I love and it actually makes me sad that it wasn't as dark as the manga. Regardless, great Hero, that imo can't be great without his astounding support cast.
Not to forget, some of the coolest and most memorable villians to appear, Knives Millions and the Gung-Ho Guns.

3. Steins;Gate
Holy ****, if Steins;Gate 0 is just as good,this series will probably take my number 1 slot.
Very underated show about A Mad Scientist, his best friend and other lab members fight against The Organization and their plot to take over the world.
Everyone needs to make TIME, watch this one. The story, plot/character development, and animation are top notch.
It's also the only anime to make me cry so, there's that. MOVING ON!

4. Gurren Lagann
Row Row, FIGHT THA POWA has basically become another motto of mine as I've always been a fan of rebellion and damn is it catchy.
A must watch for ANY shonen lover. Over the top action, epic music, gorgeous animation, and a ridiculously paradoxically written story there's only 1 complaint I could make (I dislike fan service characters, F**k you Yoko, setting women back 50 years /s)

5. Kill la Kill
Gurren Lagann 2.0 except from a female point of view. Kappa

6. FLCL
What is Fooli-cooli? who knows. Not even the characters know. Just sit down and enjoy the geniously animated short story.

7. Naruto
There's a lot people hate about Naruto. And I can understand it. However, it's still the longest running, character driven, and diverse series I've seen besides One Piece.

8. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
For a show that seems to be based on so much... uniformality, I can't help but think about how every single piece of this show was unique.
Another much watch series. And secretly tied for 7th

9. Hellsing Ultimate
*Insert Hipster Vampire saying here*

10. Panty and Stocking
I curse alot so, the dialouge taugh me some fun new things. Really good, extremely crass/crude, nothing but fun though.
Uh... 14+ and never watch with parents or people that are easily offended. Also, VERY fast paced.

Other shows I've watched but, can't make my top 10 right now are, Sword Art Online, Dragonball Z, Gungrave, Binbougami Ga, Detroit Metal City(Secretly number 11), The Devil is a Part Timer, One Piece, Sailor Moon Crystal, and more I can't recall at the moment.

MetalMonk

Smash Cadet
Anyone watch Terra Formars?
Unfortunately no. I recently picked up 7 Deadly Sins on a pure whim, exclusive to Netflix and made available in America November 2nd, and have been chugging straight through it's 26 episode goodness.

Maybe I'll check it out after.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
I really don't like to classify "anime" as something separate from cartoons, as most people who enjoy Japanese cartoons will act like it's better than Western cartoons.

But despite my avatar, I'm not too keen on Japanese cartoons. There are very few I really like, fewer I love (Gurren Lagann, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Haruhi, Kill la Kill, One Punch Man)

But for anyone who calls themselves an "anime fan" and has not seen Neon Genesis Evangelion is doing a huge disservice to themselves.

D

Deleted member

But for anyone who calls themselves an "anime fan" and has not seen Neon Genesis Evangelion is doing a huge disservice to themselves.
My boyfriend didn't like NGE too much, he only liked the movies.
I personally haven't watched it myself, but I might in the near future.

Bluekirby2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Bluekirby2
My boyfriend didn't like NGE too much, he only liked the movies.
I personally haven't watched it myself, but I might in the near future.
If you have not seen it, it is an absolute must.

And by movies, do you mean the Rebuilds or End of Evangelion? End of Evangelion is an absolute masterpiece, not just as far as animated movies go, but just moviesin general.

The Rebuilds, however are the Brawl of the Evangelion series; Removing the complexity of NGE, and removing what made it so amazing.

MetalMonk

Smash Cadet
The Rebuilds, however are the Brawl of the Evangelion series; Removing the complexity of NGE, and removing what made it so amazing.
Don't trash on them too hard :p

Not saying they're the greatest, but, the rebuild movies are also following a different telling of the story(more similar to the manga IIRC), as well as, covering a larger time line in a shorter amount of time.

They sadly don't live up the original quality of the origin series. Even sadder is there's no known plans for a complete Evangelion series + Movies on Blu-Ray to come the US.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK

I'm a huge fan of Anime honestly, you could call me an Otaku and I'd take it as a complement lol. Does anyone here have myanimelist?

Top Bottom