• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anime/cartoons based on games should respect their source material

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
It's always going to bug me when a cartoon or anime based on a video game isn't very consistent with its source material.

I feel like that's part of why I like Sonic X and Boom a bit more since they tie into their respective games alot better as opposed to AOSTH, SatAM and Underground.

Donkey Kong Country doesn't come off as being TOO different from its game counterpart, so it's easier for me to forgive or perhaps it's just nostalgia talking since I played DK64 so much when I had that 4 episode VHS "movie".

Anime based on Level-5 games like Inazuma Eleven, Snack World, Professor Layton and Yo-Kai Watch as well as other things like Phoenix Wright, Persona 4: The Animation, Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On, Sonic: Night of the Werehog tie into their games very well so there's not much use getting angry about it.

Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures is something I never hear anything good about.

I only recently watched the 4 existing episodes of the Rayman cartoon and I'm definitely no Rayman fan but I feel I probably would have enjoyed it more if characters like Globox were there instead of whatever Lac-Mac's supposed to be.

Then there's Pokemon which puts all kinds of emphasis and importance on certain rules and yet completely ignores said rules whenever it's convenient for them.

What do you guys think?

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I feel like this entire thread was created for the Pokemon Anime and I 100 percent agree.

Seriously, they can make really good **** like Generations, Twilight Wings, and Origins, and there's the main anime.
Not specifically, no. I was just thinking today about alot of video game cartoons and anime and why I like or dislike them and value consistency. Yeah, Generations, Twilight Wings and Origins are good, so no comment there.

To add to this, it's hard for me to say anything about the Super Mario Bros. Super Show since that one falls in line with Donkey Kong Country in being "so bad it's good" kind of deal but I never really hear that same thing for the Legend of Zelda cartoon.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Not specifically, no. I was just thinking today about alot of video game cartoons and anime and why I like or dislike them and value consistency. Yeah, Generations, Twilight Wings and Origins are good, so no comment there.

To add to this, it's hard for me to say anything about the Super Mario Bros. Super Show since that one falls in line with Donkey Kong Country in being "so bad it's good" kind of deal but I never really hear that same thing for the Legend of Zelda cartoon.
There needs to be an anime for Pokemon actually based off the OG games.

Oh yeah the LoZ cartoon exists.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
There needs to be an anime for Pokemon actually based off the OG games.

Oh yeah the LoZ cartoon exists.
You mean besides Origins and longer?

Yeah, I forget the LoZ cartoon exists too. Same for the Captain N Game Master one. Who WOULD want to remember that one?

It had an awful Simon Belmont design and meanwhile, I always hear good stuff about the new Castlevania anime.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
You mean besides Origins and longer?

Yeah, I forget the LoZ cartoon exists too. Same for the Captain N Game Master one. Who WOULD want to remember that one?

It had an awful Simon Belmont design and meanwhile, I always hear good stuff about the new Castlevania anime.
Sort of a mix between Origins and Generations, but it's anime length, and the characters have development, with references and bits from other spin offs being referenced.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I don't mind it for something like Sonic SatAM because when you look at the plot of the first two Sonic games, there's a lot of room for interpretation, with or without the manuals. So I can totally get behind the idea that Sonic and Tails are part of a group of Freedom Fighters that live in a world where Eggman rules.
Something like Pac-Man: The Ghostly Adventures more so takes inspiration from an entire franchise and just makes something different entirely, whilst still retaining the most basic elements of Pac-Man (like Pac-Man, ghosts, dots, yeah that's about it). It's not good, not because of its premise but because its just boring.
Then you have Super Mario Bros. Super Show, which is surprisingly faithful to the source material yet I still don't find it good because it's simply not very enjoyable. It would need to be better written for me to do so.
So I think a show/anime based on a game can work without basing itself off the source material much, it just needs to be written well.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Sort of a mix between Origins and Generations, but it's anime length, and the characters have development, with references and bits from other spin offs being referenced.
Like maybe the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Ranger games among others being properly tied in instead of being one-offs? That'd be nice.

I don't mind it for something like Sonic SatAM because when you look at the plot of the first two Sonic games, there's a lot of room for interpretation, with or without the manuals. So I can totally get behind the idea that Sonic and Tails are part of a group of Freedom Fighters that live in a world where Eggman rules.
Something like Pac-Man: The Ghostly Adventures more so takes inspiration from an entire franchise and just makes something different entirely, whilst still retaining the most basic elements of Pac-Man (like Pac-Man, ghosts, dots, yeah that's about it). It's not good, not because of its premise but because its just boring.
Then you have Super Mario Bros. Super Show, which is surprisingly faithful to the source material yet I still don't find it good because it's simply not very enjoyable. It would need to be better written for me to do so.
So I think a show/anime based on a game can work without basing itself off the source material much, it just needs to be written well.
I guess a good example of this one is the Dragon Quest Adventures of Dai anime. It's a completely original story that just happens to use Dragon Quest as source material. That one doesn't really come off as inconsistent because of that and is well written.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well of course.

Though back then, I really believed SatAM Sonic was pretty close if not the same universe as game Sonic.

I was fortunately aware that TV Robotnik and game Robotnik were different versions (as game Robotnik seemed pretty goofy and menacing at the same time, while TV Robotnik was either one or the other).
Back then, it really seemed like they hit close to the source material with SatAM. Aosth not by a long shot, which is why I never liked it as much.

I have very little faith in the upcoming Netflix Sonic show since it''s made by the same people that adapted the awful looking Megaman.
But as long as it doesn't feature an intruding side (human) character, constantly stealing Sonic's spotlight, I'll give it a chance.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I have very little faith in the upcoming Netflix Sonic show since it''s made by the same people that adapted the awful looking Megaman.
But as long as it doesn't feature an intruding side (human) character, constantly stealing Sonic's spotlight, I'll give it a chance.
Ah yes. The completely forgettable CG MegaMan cartoon that seems everyone wants to have remain forgotten. That's not a good sign. I also hope they don't do what Underground and SatAM did and pull redundant characters out of nowhere like Manic, Sonia, Antoine, Rotor, etc. and just use characters that exist but I imagine they did that in the bad MegaMan cartoon.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wait, what? You have a source on that?

Here's one.

Yeah, not a big fan of this studio, although they have had some bangers like Earth's Mightiest Heroes Avengers, sometimes they make some with excessive childish humour.

I'm aware cartoons are meant for kids mostly, but dialogue doesn't have to be childish to be enjoyed by kids. It's why I prefer their old avengers series over the current one. They can when they really try, so I'm cautiously optimistic for now.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I'm aware cartoons are meant for kids mostly, but dialogue doesn't have to be childish to be enjoyed by kids.
Animation is for everyone.

If it wasn't, numerous anime full of adult and sexual themes wouldn't be possible nor would we get western animation like South Park which is clearly not meant for children.

Bayonetta is a video game not intended for kids and has an anime adaptation clearly not intended for kids.

Not saying there's anything wrong with animation's main demographic being for kids but as you're saying, that doesn't mean it still can't be good either.

Otherwise, we would put The Super Mario Bros Super Show on the same level as Sonic: Night of the Werehog just because they're for kids.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ian Flynn recently confirmed that this Sonic show won't be related to the IDW comics. So chances are it's going to be more lighthearted.
Then again, seeing as how much I loved Sonic Boom, I'd be fine with a show on that same level of quality and tone that's just set in the mainline universe. Maybe they can find a balance between the plot-driven, game-inspired Sonic X and the clever humor of Sonic Boom. But then again, that's what Forces tried to do, in a way-please everyone with a mix of Colors-type stories and SA2-type stories-and look how that turned out.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Ian Flynn recently confirmed that this Sonic show won't be related to the IDW comics. So chances are it's going to be more lighthearted.
Then again, seeing as how much I loved Sonic Boom, I'd be fine with a show on that same level of quality and tone that's just set in the mainline universe. Maybe they can find a balance between the plot-driven, game-inspired Sonic X and the clever humor of Sonic Boom. But then again, that's what Forces tried to do, in a way-please everyone with a mix of Colors-type stories and SA2-type stories-and look how that turned out.
Sonic Boom was far better than the games. Like, it was actually very good.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
But then again, that's what Forces tried to do, in a way-please everyone with a mix of Colors-type stories and SA2-type stories-and look how that turned out.
I'd argue that's cuz they made unnecessary changes to things that worked just fine.

As the saying goes "don't fix what ain't broken."

Like how they changed Classic Sonic to be as unsatisfying as it is in Forces unlike Generations.

They also changed Tails from "♪I will believe in myself ♪" to " Oh no! Oh jeez! I can't believe in myself without Sonic!" since it was established he was plenty independent in Sonic Adventure, Adventure 2, X and Boom whereas Forces reverted him back to being a useless kid like he is in AoStH and SatAM.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
If you think about it the Zelda Cartoon is similar to Dragon Ball Evolution While a lot of Eastereggs exist and the Plot sorta fits the Main Characters are completly Terrible Executed

I mean Link is a Perverted Prick even though only Zelda 1 and 2 existed you would Know that link is a Good Person heck in Zelda 1 he is 12 (thinking about it for a Episosdic Zelda Show Young link fits better) In zelda 2 he helps Townspeople (he doesnt know that he would get Rewards) i mean were the Creators of the Show idiots

say what you will about Ash he may not have Skill (while Red is a Pro) atleast the Personality fits to a degree and isnt completly reversed

wizfoot

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-7677-1915-7484
I agree 100%. The Pokémon anime has kind of sucked past Gen 1 and the AA anime is... fine. I guess. I mean, it sticks to the plot (kind of), but it lacks all the spirit of the games in replacement for bland humor and anti-canon jokes.

At least the bloopers are funny.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I agree 100%. The Pokémon anime has kind of sucked past Gen 1 and the AA anime is... fine. I guess. I mean, it sticks to the plot (kind of), but it lacks all the spirit of the games in replacement for bland humor and anti-canon jokes.

At least the bloopers are funny.
I found Gen 6 to be the best, personally.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
As a King of Fighters fan, I was really happy King of Fighters: Destiny was much more respectful of the source material than the KOF live-action movie and it was a CGI cartoon to boot! :). So even if they can't adapt everything from the games, as long as it stays true to the spirit of the games we know and love I'm happy about it. (Not to mention unlike the Kirby cartoon, an original character doesn't steal the spotlight from the main characters Kyo and Terry.)

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
(Not to mention unlike the Kirby cartoon, an original character doesn't steal the spotlight from the main characters Kyo and Terry.)
I don't understand the point of Tiff and Tuff. If they wanted characters that could provide dialogue to move the plot along, they could have used Adeleine and Ribbon.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I don't understand the point of Tiff and Tuff. If they wanted characters that could provide dialogue to move the plot along, they could have used Adeleine and Ribbon.
I think Gooey fits better as Tuff at least with him its not the tired Joke of "BoYs bE dUMb" there is a good reason (goop) that hes dumb also Ribbon wasnt asocsiated with Adeline back then

But Speaking of the Kirby Show its much worse than people say it is its a Fine Kids Show but a terrible Adaptation!
Lets Start how they handle Kirby
Hes too Cute and has basicly all of his Coolness removed!
HES A BABY! i mean its pretty likly that he is a Kid but a Baby WHAT! he lives alone, saves Worlds alone, can Walk and probably the only reason he doesnt speak in the Games is Because hes YOU! (sorta) in the Show this isnt the case so he just seems Dumb
He cant fight without Warpstar or Ability i mean isnt it implied in the Games that his Skill results in Copy abilitys being better than what he Copied (for Example hes probably able to swing a Sword in the Games without copying it)

And theres much more What do you Think?

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
I think Gooey fits better as Tuff at least with him its not the tired Joke of "BoYs bE dUMb" there is a good reason (goop) that hes dumb also Ribbon wasnt asocsiated with Adeline back then

But Speaking of the Kirby Show its much worse than people say it is its a Fine Kids Show but a terrible Adaptation!
Lets Start how they handle Kirby
Hes too Cute and has basicly all of his Coolness removed!
HES A BABY! i mean its pretty likly that he is a Kid but a Baby WHAT! he lives alone, saves Worlds alone, can Walk and probably the only reason he doesnt speak in the Games is Because hes YOU! (sorta) in the Show this isnt the case so he just seems Dumb
He cant fight without Warpstar or Ability i mean isnt it implied in the Games that his Skill results in Copy abilitys being better than what he Copied (for Example hes probably able to swing a Sword in the Games without copying it)

And theres much more What do you Think?
I'll admit part of why I dislike Kirby is because he just comes off as a dumb baby with no personality in that anime. Guess my dislike based on that isn't very merited but that's ultimately the writer's fault.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I'll admit part of why I dislike Kirby is because he just comes off as a dumb baby with no personality in that anime. Guess my dislike based on that isn't very merited but that's ultimately the writer's fault.
Yeah in the Games hes better yeah he doesnt speak but hes definitly More inteligent and Skilled than in the Anime
By the way Dedede and Meta knight also barely Speak only when they are Antagonists

Also (and this aplys to smash as well) Deep Spanish Meta Knight is Dumb i mean hes Bodywise the EXACT same as Kirby and Color changing Eyes? Why? i mean his voice doesnt need to be as Hi as Kirbys just use a Voice similar to how he sounds in All Kirby Games That voices is Deep (but not to deep) and Cool

I dont know did anyone read the Kirby Manga how is Kirby in That?

Among Waddle Dees

Smash Journeyman
One of Sakurai's mandates used for the anime's premise was "no humans." Considering Tiff's family ended up being much less tolerable than a singular human girl and a race of humanoid fairies from a decently popular game, I feel the mandate's benefits ended up completely failing. But looking at Sakurai crafted games, he's never introduced a human into the Kirby world; it could be his vision for the franchise didn't permit humanoid resemblances at all. A lousy excuse for Kirby at the time, but it would certainly explain a few things about what happened after.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
One of Sakurai's mandates used for the anime's premise was "no humans." Considering Tiff's family ended up being much less tolerable than a singular human girl and a race of humanoid fairies from a decently popular game, I feel the mandate's benefits ended up completely failing. But looking at Sakurai crafted games, he's never introduced a human into the Kirby world; it could be his vision for the franchise didn't permit humanoid resemblances at all. A lousy excuse for Kirby at the time, but it would certainly explain a few things about what happened after.
When i think about this im glad That Sakurai isnt invo,lved with Kirby Right Now Kumazaki is just Much better in that Regard

Also i dont get the Oversequelization Angle you make a Game for a Company with a SUUUUUUPER Marketable Character and expect that they stop making games after the 3rd One Come on

Last edited:
Top Bottom