• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animation Compendium

Flurb18

Smash Cadet
I've been prowling the forums and I cannot find a thread that summarizes what we know about animation files & swapping (organization is good people), so I thought I would start one. If anyone has any resources on animation / related, please link them in responses to this thread. I have some threads but the understanding is limited from what I've seen. The end goals are to 1) swap animations between characters, 2) understand the animation file format, and 3) create custom animations.

phish-it's guide to animation and subaction swapping

SuperSmashNoob's method of brute forcing animation (tedious)

The Move-swap code (not quite "real" animation swapping, but its a start)

Please post ANY knowledge you have on this topic! Animation files are stored in Pl**AJ.dat where ** is the character code. There's also Pl**DViWaitAJ.dat... the only reason I have to suspect this has to do with animation is the AJ. Does anyone know what this is?

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
I've been prowling the forums and I cannot find a thread that summarizes what we know about animation files & swapping (organization is good people), so I thought I would start one. If anyone has any resources on animation / related, please link them in responses to this thread. I have some threads but the understanding is limited from what I've seen. The end goals are to 1) swap animations between characters, 2) understand the animation file format, and 3) create custom animations.

phish-it's guide to animation and subaction swapping

SuperSmashNoob's method of brute forcing animation (tedious)

The Move-swap code (not quite "real" animation swapping, but its a start)

Please post ANY knowledge you have on this topic! Animation files are stored in Pl**AJ.dat where ** is the character code. There's also Pl**DViWaitAJ.dat... the only reason I have to suspect this has to do with animation is the AJ. Does anyone know what this is?
TCLL and I were looking into a bit but we didnt really find anything. If you know how to read a dat file then youd see that the name of the action/animation states are root structures and that the aj files are basically separate dats for each animation that are stacked on top of each other. So the header for the second state is after the string table in the first 'file'. Look at the dat file research thread I made. the joint matanim section is relevant to animations. If you find anything new drop a post in that thread.

Top Bottom