• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Andross for Smash: Only he has the brains to rule the battlefield!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Andross is a maniacal scientist and the main villain of the Star Fox series, who has previously brought the Lylat System to near extinction, and who was also responsible for the death of Fox McCloud's father, James (or, in the original SNES continuity, Fox Sr.).

Though he's barely sane and is consumed by his dangerous, destructive ambitions, Andross is highly intelligent (indeed, in Star Fox 64, he made the iconic proclamation and horrible pun, "Only I have the brains to rule Lylat!", when his true form was revealed), and, given how he's commanded his army across the Lylat System, he's also known to be a very good tactician.

But isn't Andross just a floating head, who can't possibly work in Smash?

No.

Andross has been shown to have a normal physical form in many of his appearances, and he has one at some point in each of the Star Fox series' three continuities. Though Andross is said to have somehow transformed into a giant floating head over time in some iterations, in the original SNES continuity he was shown to merely be piloting a spacecraft that looks like a giant face.

Andross could put in a showing for the mad scientist trope, which is currently an open position in Smash, and his common form in final boss encounters shouldn't have to stand in his way of bringing his efforts at universal-domination to the battlefield!

Indeed, his known inventing ability from his home-series, coupled with downsized versions of famous attacks from his final boss appearances, could grant him quite an interesting gadget and trap-focussed moveset. He could also bring a punch based on his attacks in Star Fox 64 as a melee attack for fighting at close-quarters, and an aimable version of his iconic tile-spitting floating head form (in its N64-and-onwards incarnation, to differentiate it from the SNES-based Assist Trophy) could be his Final Smash.

As well as there being an overall lack of villains in Smash, the Star Fox series could do with more love too, so, in addition to Wolf and Krystal, Andross could be another contender to take a look at.

Last edited:

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Andross to me kind of falls into the ridley category, deserving yet has potential issues fitting in, maybe if there was a playable boss mode it could work better

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
This would definitely be something "Made for Smash" if we look at Andross back when he was a scientist and a normally sized monkey man. I'd think he'd have a similar height and build to Ganondorf if not a bit smaller. Fox and Falco never had any of their gear in Smash prior to Smash, so this wouldn't be the first time Star Fox characters were included in the game and given tools that fit their theme and personality as opposed to what they used in their home series.

I support. For more villains and worthy foes, and for a mad scientist, which we lack.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Too bad Wolf and his crew will always be the better Star Fox antagonists. Though most of the one-shots like General Scales and the Anglaar were weak.

As long as they find a suitable body that would work for Andross, I'd like to see what he could bring.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
This moveset was created during Brawl speculation when I was a rare and sometimes lone voice screaming my support to the stars.
The ape would wear a belt with gadgets, devices, and potions holstered and strapped on. He would have a leather vest with a V neck split to allow his furry chest hair to stick out. Also goggles would be mounted on his hair and he would have a black cloak. Andross would also have metal gloves with thrusters located on the palm. The thrusters would act kinda like jetpacks allowing Andross to jump high and float a little of the floor like Mewtwo. The thrusters would also allow him to propel his punches, making him stronger then he would be. He would be a floaty character unless you press down while he was in the air. Then the engines would shut off and the metal gloves would make him a fast faller.

Walk: His hands would be at his sides with the thrusters on. Blue fire would expel from his palms and he would slowly foot a few inches off the ground toward his oppenent.

Run: Andross holds his hands behind him and the thrusters shoot out longer flames propelling Andross forward at a high speed similar to Pichu's. Terrible at quick turns.

Running A: Andross would bring his hands forward to clap at the enemy. The movement of his thruster enabled gloves would make his jolt backwards a little distance as he clapped. Sends oppenent forward. Good for setting some distance between fighters.

A: Punch
AA: Punch and then extended palm
AAA: Punch, then extended palm, then another extended palm
AAAA:punch, one extended palm plant, then another, then the thrusters would turn on really quick propelling Andross backwards a few feet.

>A: Andross hovers with hands at the side and kicks at the oppenent

^A: Andross uppercuts, thruster turns on, and Andross lifts a foot higher off the floor before thruster snaps off and he descends back into hovering position, when the thruster turns back on.

Duck: Thrusters turn off and Andross crouches on the floor.
Down A: Thrusters turn on quickly, making Andross to a quick spin while crouching with one foot stuck out. Accelerated Sweep kick.

Forward Smash: Swings one arm around in a full circle with thruster on leaving a trail of fire. Metal fist crashes to the floor. If A is pressed again, his other glove thruster will turn on and repeat the pattern going forward.

Down Smash: Andross clasps his gloves together and hammerfists the ground making the floor ripple in a set circumference around him. Sends oppenents upwards. Some rocks and debris might pop up and hover a foot in the air for a few seconds after for effect only.

Up Smash: Andross Machine gun punches upward, juggiling the oppenent

Down B: Andross's cape whirls outward. Flat Metal rectangles come flying out from the background and form steps for Andross to walk on. Five blocks come out. Andross can walk back and forth or just one way or even diagnol. This could be used to make a cieling so oppenents can't jump upward to get back on stage. Andross falls afterwards and can't use moves until he hits the ground.

Forward B: Andross throws a Vortex Grenade from his belt. It explodes after seven seconds. Could be picked up and thrown by others. Only one Grenade could be on the floor at a time. When it explodes it makes a blackish blue sphere which sucks in anyone nearby including Andross. Radius like Kirby's except all the way around the sphere. Does damage and keeps person in place like Young Link's Up B spin. Good way to trap oppenents.

B: Andross extends both palms forward and a green grid shaped like a metal rectangle block shoots out. If B is pressed while the green grid is going forward it will solidify into a metal step rotating forward in the air. If it hits an oppenent it will smash and do damage to the enemy. If the oppenent has a high percentage it might carry the enemy with it for a few moments before cracking and exploding. Only one could be out at a time.

Up B: Andross does a backflip and disappears into a blue vortex. You could angle the direction of his reapperance like Zelda's Up B. Except it is about half as long.

Air Battle:

Nuetral A: Does a Midair flip similar to Captain Falcon's Up A. But much weaker.
Forward A: Midair slap with metal glove.
Backward A: Andross extends one arm backwards and his glove spews out a spout of fire to rack up damage on oppenent. Sends Andross forwards a little.
Down A: Does a split in the air with his legs and throws one heavy gloved hand downwards between open legs. Meteor Smash.
Up A: Andross reaches upward with a metal glove in a grabbing motion. If he hits an oppenent he throws them downward. Down throw is weak, oppenent goes underneath Andross setting him up for a down A move.

Andross Throws: Grabs oppenent with metal glove.
A: Burns oppenent with thrusters on glove.
Forward: Skids forward on feet briefly before swinging his arm in a full circle still clutching the enemy and finally releasing him forward in an arch. A little further then Mario's forward throw but due to arch harder to die from.
Backward: Quick throw backwards. Straight trajectory.
Downward: Throws oppenent to the ground and machine gun punches their body until they jolt upwards.
Upward: Andross teleports the oppenent a few feet above him. Oppenent disappears in a flash of blue and then a portal opens above Andross. At this point the oppenent could jump or attack once he or she exits teleport.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I'm glad to have all of you aboard - thanks very much for your support, all of you.

Bowserlick Bowserlick in particular - That's a really cool moveset, and it sounds like you're thinking along similar lines to myself. The gloves are a very cool idea! :grin:

Myself, I've been picturing him in a dark-coloured labcoat that also somewhat resembles the Ming the Merciless and Darth Vader inspired capes and shrouds that he's worn in various appearances, with practical clothing resembling the flight-suts worn by the Star Fox and Star Wolf teams underneath. I think that Andross' Star Fox Zero appearance (pictured in the opening post as an example) is actually a bit too high-fantasy, to be honest. :laugh:

Regardless, I imagined him pulling gadgets, potions, and so on, from his labcoat, instead of from a belt, myself. This was slightly inspired by The Mad Doctor, from the 1933 Mickey Mouse cartoon of the same name - specifically his appearance in the 1994 video game, Mickey Mania. The reason for this is that I picture Andross as being a fairly tall character in his standard ape form, and The Mad Doctor is similarly tall and lanky. :p

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Even though I have never played Star Fox (Although I am kinda familar with the canon.) I also support the idea of Andross being playable in Smash Bros. I can imagine his intro movie having Fox and Falco shocked that he's joined the tournament.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Star Fox has had three characters represent the series, all with variants on the same specials.

Andross brings fresh moves and villain status to the star Fox series and a mad scientist archetype to the Smash franchise.

Let us get a support list going.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I wish they kind of did a prequel to the Star fox games with James as the main character, that showed Andross' descent into madness.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I wish they kind of did a prequel to the Star fox games with James as the main character, that showed Andross' descent into madness.
I love that idea.

James McCloud comes back in certain games to guide Fox. These are probably meant to be just visions.

But if there is a prequel, at the finale when Andross is consumed by visions of Godly-hood, the mad monkey could create a time vortex that threatens to consolidate the universe into a singularity. While the boundaries of space/time are brittle, James is able to help his son escape Andross's self-destructing ship after their battle in the future.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Let us get a support list going.
I think that a support-thread kind of functions as that on its own. :laugh:

On that note, thankyou once again to everyone who's stepped up to pledge support - it's already more than I saw Andross getting, so here's hoping that it continues!

That would actually be pretty interesting. Even if it was just a couple of chapters in a new game, it would certainly have been a better idea to kick off a reboot with than retelling Star Fox 64 again.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The idea of Andross fighting in his original body is pretty interesting, and as the main villain of the series I'd like to see them give it a try. Probably best to have him in a game first though I suppose. I quite like the idea of a prequel starring James as Zesty mentioned. Perhaps include some on-foot missions as well so we can have a proper boss fight with Andross' original self before he became a giant floating head thing. Support.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I can see Andross creating a large version of his head or hands from the terrain as a Smash or Special to eat or crush the enemy like in the 1999 movie the Mummy.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Thanks for your continuing support, everyone!

Here's some Star Fox-related news for the books - the SNES Classic Mini was announced today, and not only does it include the original Star Fox (making it the first time that the original game has ever been re-released), but it also includes the unreleased Star Fox 2 (which I imagine will be the final version from Nintendo's own vaults, rather than the near-final one that was leaked onto the internet 15 years ago).

(Official art from here.)

Obviously, both of these games featured the original SNES continuity's iteration of Andross (who's actually my personal favourite version of the character) as the main villain. Here's hoping that these help to re-establish the mad ape in people's minds as the ruthless villain that he is! :grin:

EDIT: The full version of the above artwork has surfaced via Nintendo of Europe. Andross appears in the background;

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
He may not be as likely as Krystal but having a genuinely unique character among the SF cast would be wonderful no matter who it is and humanoid Andross is a complete goldmine of unexplored potential. Please don't let this thread die!

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
He may not be as likely as Krystal but having a genuinely unique character among the SF cast would be wonderful no matter who it is and humanoid Andross is a complete goldmine of unexplored potential. Please don't let this thread die!
It certainly would be wonderful, but at the end of the day, nothing we say or do here really has any, or at least very much, sway - ultimately, we get what we get.

This thread having not picked up steam doesn't say anything about the character's potential - only that perhaps folks around here aren't very interested in Andross. ;)

Battiest Badger

Smash Cadet
Count me in.

Obviously, he's an Assist Trophy again, but I think Andross would be great to show up in a game some day. More than that, I think he'd be great as a floating head and hands, like he typically is. I mean, we got "too big" Ridley, so the door's been opened up a smidge. He's been in 4 games now, I believe, and I think he could pull moves from all of them with a little bit of creativity. I'm a very casual player, but I'll throw down a quick and messy example.

Before the actual moves, I think he could be about Bowser height. obviously he's not actually as tall, since he'd be floating. However, since he floats, he could be faster than the other large characters like Bowser, Dedede, K. Rool, and Ridley.

Jab - He swipes at opponents with one hand; He can do this twice in quick succession, one hand followed by the next
Forward Tilt - Claps opponent between his hands
Up Tilt - Swipes (practically swats) the space above him with one hand
Down Tilt - Slaps one palm to the ground

Neutral Air - Rotates his hands quicky around him 360 degrees
Forward Air - Tilts back slightly and uses his thrusters in his hands to propel foes forward at a minor upward angle
Back Air - Similar to Forward - Tilts forward, palms facing the back and upwards slightly, and thrusts his opponents behind him at a greater upward angle, without looking behind himself.
Up Air - With his hand straight, Andross jabs above him with the tips of his fingers
Down Air - Similar to Up, only he jabs straight downward, still with his fingertips

Forward Smash - Punches forward with one heavy fist
Down Smash - Slams both fists to the ground in front of him
Up Smash - Uppercut

Grab - Holds opponent tightly between both hands
Pummel - Squeezes opponents even tighter
Forward Throw - Uses his eye lasers from Star Fox Zero to shoot opponents forward at an angle
Up Throw - Eye lasers directly upward
Down Throw - Eye lasers opponent into the ground

Neutral B - Inhale - Much like Kirby or Dedede, he pulls his enemies into his mouth and holds them there for a short time. Eventually they break out on their own
Forward B - Debris - This is the standard Assist Trophy move. Where he just spits out a bunch of crap forward. Tiles would be the safest bet here. Use this to eject any players held by inhale, and then the Debris would follow.
Up B - Launch - Not a move he's ever used, but he could use repulsors in his hands (since they're probably robotic/bionic) to thrust himself upward.
Down B - Bite - Andross flies forward a short distance and chomps down on a foe. Not like Wario's bite. You can't trap anyone like this, but it's definitely going to damage.

Final Smash - The weird crystalline cylinder from his boss fight in Star Fox Zero lowers around him and about a dozen lasers fire out of it as it rotates, like in the game, taking up much of the screen. It couldn't last very long at all because it would be a lot of potential damage.

Maybe the moveset is garbage. I don't know. The point is, I'll never give up on Andross coming to Smash. Wolf is fine, but I want the real villain.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Mmmmn.... sure, why not? Add me as a supporter. Could always use more villains and I do love Star Fox.

Of course I do think they could do better than the weird diminutive body he has in that picture. The way I pictured him I thought he'd have a strong upper body with large arms. But the rest of him could indeed be concealed by a space robe.

Hope there's a way to come up with a moveset for him that doesn't feel contrived.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would put Andross in the same boat as Pig Ganon who just like him, has the less iconic version of him presented in the game. I think he would be just fine as a boss, but he would be cool to see as a character if it ever happened and he is iconic so he does deserve it. So I support.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Obviously, he's an Assist Trophy again, but I think Andross would be great to show up in a game some day. More than that, I think he'd be great as a floating head and hands, like he typically is. I mean, we got "too big" Ridley, so the door's been opened up a smidge.
If we're getting a floating head, Andross is definitely the obvious choice but what about Dr. Kawashima?

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
If we're getting a floating head, Andross is definitely the obvious choice but what about Dr. Kawashima?
The problem with Dr. Kawashima is that he is a real person, which could lead to problems.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I found something that may interest some of you.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

This Andross for Smash page does give good convincing arguments as to how Andross can work as a fighter. They are quite good.

And yes, one of the arguments address the elephant in the room, which is his size.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Andross could actually be an amazing addition and overall newcomer in Smash, his Final Smash could easily be his iconic polygon head form.

This is how I want his Smash model.

His final Smash

Andross also has a pretty detailed backstory, adding to his solid merit as a Smash candidate.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I know that ridley got in and all, but andross is way too large. He's literally ten times the size of an arwing!
I kinda stopped supporting him for one of the reasons your potentially listing. Andross is weird asf. I want Monkey Andross with an actual body of a monkey. I hate his wizard robe look and his disembodied forms are aggravating.

Give me normal Andross, Polygonal, Metal head or none.

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
I kinda stopped supporting him for one of the reasons your potentially listing. Andross is weird asf. I want Monkey Andross with an actual body of a monkey. I hate his wizard robe look and his disembodied forms are aggravating.

Give me normal Andross, Polygonal, Metal head or none.
Monkey Andross normal sized would pretty much be automatically added but I don't know if theres ever been a time where he was that size within a star fox game itself

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't care much for StarFox, but from what little I know Andross is a top tier Smash fighter choice IMO.

I could see him as an anti-Fox, a slow heavyweight with weak physical attacks who can keep foes away with his wind breath them shock 'em with powerful meteor showers when they think they're safe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom