• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An "only three/five mains" thread

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
Firstly::ultyounglink: (We back baby!)

Second::ultpokemontrainer: ( I mained Charizard, and Squirtle and Ivysaur look mighty fine too!)

This is where it gets tough...
Third: :ultkingdedede: (Hope Gordo's are good, I'll play you anyways, you perfect Penguin you.)
Fourth::ultinkling: ( I'm intrigued)
Fifth: :ultlink: (For old times' sake)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I rock double mains so

Main 1 :ultsonic:

Main 2:ultlittlemac:

Secondary :ultjigglypuff:

Third :ultkrool:

Fourth :ultmario:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, since Squad Strike supports up to five fighters, I guess I'll update my list to include two more fighters...
I already have:ultmewtwo:,:ultgnw:, and :ultgreninja: for the reasons I mentioned in my last post, so now, I think I'll add...
:ultrob:: He holds a special place in my heart as my first "serious" main back in the early days of Smash 4, as in an actual main and not just the character I happened to use the most. For that, he'll always have a role amongst my secondaries, even if I've since moved on to other characters.
:ultpichu:: No, this is not for "teh meemz." I actually really like Pichu as he was one of my most used characters back in Melee alongside Mewtwo and Pikachu, so I'm super stoked he's back. I truly had no idea how much I missed him until he came back. Easily the most hype reveal for me so far, even more than:ultkrool:and :ultsnake:.
And, of course, if Geno gets in, everyone else gets bumped down one. (Sorry, Pichu, I still love you.)

Last edited:

T!t!

Smash Cadet
These would be my 3 choices for now:
1.:ultwolf: Really like him being back. Besides that they also have shown already a couple tweaks to his moveset that I really like: i.e. the new dash attack and the new nair. Not even mentioning how much I love his Star Fox Zero based design over his assault design in Brawl.
2. :ultinkling: I do like the kind of hybrid moveset: Inkling seems to have decent tools in close-up combat but could potentially even be played a bit more from distance with projectiles and gimmicks. So I feel like it's a character that just fits right between the style of a close-up combat Wolf and a from the distance playing Olimar. Can't wait to get my hands on Inkling and actually grind a lot.
3. :ultolimar: My Sm4sh main just needs to be kept alive in Smash Ultimate. I'm curious to see how certain tweaks may affect his gameplay, so for now I'm definitely planning on getting my Olimar ready for Smash Ultimate.

These three characters are the only ones I'm really interested in unless Dillon makes it into the game. Then my opinion may change.
Small update with 5 characters we are allowed to pick.
4.:ultchrom: (Chrom) could be interesting. If he doesn't suck too hard, I could definitely see myself playing him a bit. I do like him in FE:Awakening and why not at least give him a try? He seems to be what Lucina is to Marth: an echo with no tipper, but overall decent hitboxes.
5. :ultfalco: is a character I always loved in the Star Fox series. He wasn't as much fun in Sm4sh but I guess there could be a chance that Falco is decent this time around. Still I guess he'll be a fine pocket character to have.

zeonie888

Smash Apprentice
Updating time!

Old
Bowser
Ridley
Yoshi

New
Bowser
Ridley
K.rool
Yoshi
Pokemon Trainer

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
:ultcloud:, :ultmarth:, and :ultmetaknight: because of Smash 4 helping me develop a play style.

:ultsnake: because Smash Brawl nostalgia. Also, I was actually really good with him.

:ultyounglink: might be worth giving a try, but I don't know considering I didn't like the other two Links.

Then again, :ultlink: chanced a lot this game so I might actually give him a try too.

Can you tell I love sword fighters?

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Yikes, that post of mine needs serious revising now that the game is out.
But yeah, basically, just look at my main and secondaries in my signature and you have my "squad", so to speak (at the time of writing, it's :ultrob::ultmewtwo::ultwiifittrainer::ultpiranha::ultshulk:, in that order). No in-depth explanations this time; they're just the characters I happen to like the most.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
After game’s release, my roster is looking like this for 5 mains:

:ultlucas::ultwolf::ultincineroar::ultroy::ultdarksamus:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
:ultness: - my main
:ultwolf: - my secondary
:ultlucina: - my pocket sword character

Good luck

For five I’d add
:ultyounglink: - since I don’t have a zoner
:ultbowser: - and one heavy

I don’t think I’d have a bad matchup in the entire game with this team

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Since it's been a couple months I figured I'd say who I might do again. I'm still hoping they'll let us play squad strike online.

For 3v3s
:ultwolf: First off I'd use Wolf basically like reconnaissance to get a feel for what type of player I'm fighting and he just feels like a solid fighter. My only concern for putting him first is that Wolf has an incredibly predictable recovery, and I worry about matches where someone knows how to exploit that since Wolf is basically like Little Mac, but with a faster recovery that's more dangerous to try to attack. If they succeed in KOing him early, it'd be putting me in a bad mentality for the rest of the match. I may get over that eventually though, if I haven't already.
:ultmetaknight: Middle slot would be Meta Knight so he gets more experience fighting and he is basically my main if I were to have one. Also, for those rare times he can look cool by finishing off the first stock of the opponent, and then wiping out all 3 stocks if played very well for those other 2 stocks.
:ultlucario: Last slot would be Lucario. I tend to do better under pressure with Lucario, which is nice since his aura mechanic helps with doing comebacks as well. Also, as long as my matches go on with my opponent, I want them to always be tense + focused as long as I'm fighting them because it sucks when people don't take you seriously. High aura Lucario is always tense whether you're playing Lucario, or fighting it. However, if someone became afraid of the high aura Lucario that can KO them in 2-4 hits, that works too. I like making people get scared.

As for 5v5s:
:ultwolf: Recon duty, versatile fighter.
:ultrob: R.O.B. always seems to throw the opponent's game off. Which if he does get KO'd, should leave the opponent in an easier state to attack/punish using Meta Knight. Especially if my Meta Knight becomes infamous for being my best character because R.O.B. messing them up only to know that Meta Knight is going to be harder.
:ultmetaknight: This is probably abouts where if I'm doing well I might be able to finish it off with Meta Knight, but if not Meta Knight should be able to deal some massive damage for Ridley to deal the final blow.
:ultridley: Ridley is pretty good at crushing enemies. Would hope to finish things off with his KO power, but if he fails to do that, it would make me focus even harder with Lucario. Also I love playing Ridley because he feels like a bigger Meta Knight with his disjoints, multiple jumps, and ability to just carry people to the edge of the map.
:ultlucario: Lucario for the comeback again.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I know I have a post about 15 away from this one, but it has been nearly 6 months since it was posted, and I feel as if an update is needed.

:ultike: - Having practiced a lot with Cloud in Smash 4, I realized I was losing with Marth and Meta Knight more often, and the click between me and Cloud faded between Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate. Practice with him however did help me click with Ike later into Smash 4's life cycle. Unlike Cloud, this one did transfer to Smash Ultimate, and I feel like the buffs Ike received between games only strengthened it.

:ultrichter: - When the direct went live, I was in Hawaii. When I made the first post, I was still in Hawaii, so I never properly sat down and looked at the five newcomers revealed, but I saw the Belmonts in action, and really liked how they were based on range and can pack a punch with a few particular moves of theirs. Richter in particular stood out more than Simon, and seeing as there is only one known difference, I told myself I would go with him. They're a lot better than I thought they were going to be, and Richter is now my number one choice of character in any 1v1 match.

:ultincineroar: - This one wasn't discovered until later on. I had an unnatural hate towards this character for two reasons. One, a couple people I know online just won't shut up about how they likes Incineroar in a sexual way, and two, I wanted Decidueye. It changed one day when I got him in a 1v1 where both me and the opposition agreed to random fighters. I like the way he fights. I tried him online, made elite smash with a second character, and now he works as a secondary for me. I am kind of happy he's here now that I like how he fights, but I would probably still be salty over the loss of Decidueye if that hadn't happened.

Dropped Mains

:ultlink: - He helped me early in World of Light up until I got Ike, and I did like him, but outside of most single player modes, there was never any significant bond. Same with Young Link, but he didn't help me in World of Light.

:ultsnake: - I really tried to learn him. I enjoyed playing as him in Smash Brawl. That was the game I played most. He got cut from Smash 4 which was a huge tragedy, but the click was lost with time. I just couldn't bring myself to get good with him anymore. I dropped Snake.

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Lucina :ultlucina:
Palutena :ultpalutena:
Wolf :ultwolf:

Other two for 5v5 squad strike:
Donkey Kong :ultdk:
Ike :ultike:

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Main boi: :ultganondorf: (love him to death in this game)
Side boi: :ultyounglink: (gotta get better with him)
Unsure bois but will work them in bois: :ultisabelle::ultinkling::ultwolf::ultcorrin::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultpiranha::ultbowserjr::ultfalco::ultluigi::ultdk::ultwario:

Im a mess.

Faelysis

Smash Rookie
NNID
johnlequebecois
1st: :ultyounglink:
2nd: :ultzelda:
3rd: :ultkirby:
4th: :ultlucario:
5th: :ultmarth:or :ultshulk:

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
:ultrichter:
:ultincineroar:
:ultlucina:
_

:ultganondorf:/:ultdk:
:ultlink:

Not sure about how viable a team like this actually is, but I feel Lucina, Incineroar, and DK do better in bad matchups for Ganon, Link and Richter.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
Hey, this is my signature

Only Doc, Corrin, and the Ice Climbers are ever consistent, though. I switch out the other two constantly and I'm always trying to find characters that I enjoy as much as those three. I'm terrible with Lucario and I only play him because I like B-reversing and foxtrotting, while I'm also terrible with Mega Man and only play him because I like his games.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
:ultyounglink: - My fave Link, hes so fun to play too!

:ultkrool: - Fave newcomer, always loved the character, nerf him all you want he's already one of the worst, still gonna play him

:ultmario::ultpacman: - My most used in smash 4, sticking with them in this one too.

:ultinklingboy: - Pretty fun new character im trying to improve with.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
This is hard cuz I have 8 mains lol. But if I had to pick...

:ultgnw::ultwiifittrainerm::ultdaisy::ultsamus::ultduckhunt:

There is no such thing as having 8 mains. If you're splitting your time between 8 characters, then you're not maining any of them.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm elite with exactly 5 fighters, so.....
:ultkingdedede::ultbowser::ultincineroar::ultridley::ultkrool:
I guess those are my 5 mains?

"Mains" that I'm working on:
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultroy::ultlucina::ultmario::ultdk::ultzelda::ultpalutena::ultcorrinf::ultganondorf:

And then there are character I want to try but haven't had the time to yet:
:ultbayonetta1::ultlink::ultluigi::ultmewtwo::ultpeach::ultpokemontrainer::ultyounglink::ultzss::ultrobinf::ultdarksamus::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultmarth::ultpiranha::ultinklingboy::ultlemmy:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
At what point/number is the "main" line drawn then?
You can have 1 or 2 mains, maybe 3. That's it. 8 is absolutely too many to qualify as "maining" anyone. "Mains" are characters that dominate your play time, allowing you to learn them with much greater depth than the rest of the roster. With 8 characters, even if you split your time between those characters about equally, you'd only be playing each character ~12.5% of the time. That's much too low to qualify as "maining" anyone, and splitting your time equally between that many characters means you're not actually mastering anyone. At best you might get "good" with all 8, but you will never really excel with any of them. If you're not splitting your time equally between all 8, then you could maybe claim 2 or 3 of those characters as mains if the % of time you use those 2 or 3 characters is significantly more than the rest. (i.e. If you're regularly playing 8 characters, but 2 or 3 of those characters constitute something like 60% or more of your play time, then those 2 or 3 could qualify as "mains.")

remilia

Smash Cadet
You can have 1 or 2 mains, maybe 3. That's it. 8 is absolutely too many to qualify as "maining" anyone. "Mains" are characters that dominate your play time, allowing you to learn them with much greater depth than the rest of the roster. With 8 characters, even if you split your time between those characters about equally, you'd only be playing each character ~12.5% of the time. That's much too low to qualify as "maining" anyone, and splitting your time equally between that many characters means you're not actually mastering anyone. At best you might get "good" with all 8, but you will never really excel with any of them. If you're not splitting your time equally between all 8, then you could maybe claim 2 or 3 of those characters as mains if the % of time you use those 2 or 3 characters is significantly more than the rest. (i.e. If you're regularly playing 8 characters, but 2 or 3 of those characters constitute something like 60% or more of your play time, then those 2 or 3 could qualify as "mains.")
I see your point, and I do agree that I'd probably master characters if I spent more time using them rather than cycling between 8 different characters. That said, I play smash more on a casual/for fun level (which doesn't mean I'm not trying to improve, I just value casual enjoyability more than absolute mastery). The way I use the word main is in a similar manner toward you in that they are the characters that dominate my play time, but I do split my time equally between the 8 characters. Because of this, even though 12.5 percent seems low, they are still my main characters, or my "mains" so to speak. Although there are a lot of differing opinions and threads made about this, I think it's easy enough for me to just use the word "main" instead of "one of the eight characters I play most often." and still stay true to the definition of "main" on the smashwiki site being the character(s) that you play the most.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
-:ultpit: Definitely my number 1.
-:ultincineroar: Kinda interesting.
-:ultbowser: He's just there. Had him for a while, probably could still make use of him.

Easy done. Well at least the top 3 are definitely my mains for the time being.

If I was forced for 5v5, I guess um...
:ultpalutena: I did stop using her so...
:ultsamus: I'd probably need to practice with her....

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I see your point, and I do agree that I'd probably master characters if I spent more time using them rather than cycling between 8 different characters. That said, I play smash more on a casual/for fun level (which doesn't mean I'm not trying to improve, I just value casual enjoyability more than absolute mastery). The way I use the word main is in a similar manner toward you in that they are the characters that dominate my play time, but I do split my time equally between the 8 characters. Because of this, even though 12.5 percent seems low, they are still my main characters, or my "mains" so to speak. Although there are a lot of differing opinions and threads made about this, I think it's easy enough for me to just use the word "main" instead of "one of the eight characters I play most often." and still stay true to the definition of "main" on the smashwiki site being the character(s) that you play the most.
Even from a casual perspective, I still think the word "main" ceases to mean anything when applied so liberally. You don't "main" every character you enjoy playing, and calling every character you play your main is a trap I see a lot of casuals fall into and they usually end up sounding like this:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
My "main" is certainly Ganondorf. I can come close or match my performance with him as a couple other characters, but I haven't had the courage (or disposable income) to attempt any of them at a competitive event yet. I also usually play a lot against the same person, so it can be hard for me to tell if I'm especially good with a character, or if he's just bad against them.

I think my top three would be:
:ultganondorf::ultdaisy::ultmario:

I'm only really positive about the top two. After that I have decent success with a couple of characters like Mario, Dedede, Inkling... I was even considering playing more Mii Gunner for a while just because people seem very not used to fighting the Mii characters.

Top Bottom