• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An "only three/five mains" thread

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
Very difficult choice, but I think I'd say...

:ultkingdedede::ultyounglink::ultpit:

It would be subject to change, but for now I think I'll go for this lineup.

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
All characters:
1. :ultpikachu: my main no questions
2. :ultpokemontrainer:. May swap for another pokemon character when meta is figured out or if nerfed horribly.
3. #1 or #2 on the tier list. So far it looks to be Sheik or Bayo in the Demo.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
They're board emoticons. Click the smiley face on the toolbar above your post text.
Or better yet just type the characters name or some obvious string of text based on that between :'s.

For example, D3 is dedede, You Link is ylink, and Pit is pit. so for example for character X you would often type :x:.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Probably:
:ultluigi:
:ultshulk:
and
:ultpokemontrainer:

This gives me my favorite Smash character, my most used Smash Character, and also gives me some extra options in the form of PT.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I'm not 100% sure who's going to be as powerful as Brawl Meta Knight, and who is as weak as Melee Kirby, but if I had to pick mains just based on who I think is going to be good, I would pick these three for standing the test of time and consistently being at least decent across all games they're in.

:ultmarth::ultfox::ultpikachu:

Yes I know other characters possess that quality, but the difference is that most others weren't in three or more games already. I see all three of these fighters making the 50th percentile on the future tier list.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

With the addition of the Squad Strike mode, which consists of 3v3 and 5v5 team battles, the thread has gotten a little update, and now you can add 2 more fighters on your main list if you want!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
:ultpit::ultmario::ultsonic: for 3
:ultpit::ultdoc::ultinkling::ultrosalina::ultduckhunt: for 5 whenever 3 ain’t enough

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Since there's been an update.

3v3s :ultwolf::ultmetaknight::ultridley:
:ultwolf: Wolf - Love his anti-hero role in Star Fox Assault so I love the character because of that game. He felt awesome in Brawl. However, I worry that he might become too slow in Ultimate. If that happens, he'll be replaced with Sheik or Cloud.. Since he's the first one I will definitely be tempted to do the "What's the matter? Scared?" taunt if I do a bit too well.
:ultmetaknight: Meta Knight - He is basically my loyalty main because I have a lot of history with him and he is the coolest thing from the Kirby series so it'll be hard to replace him. Love multi-jumps, sword, and speed. Putting him second, because It's unlikely to take all 3 stocks with one character, but Meta Knight will look good finishing off the first opponent and taking out the second opponent, perhaps damaging the third opponent.
:ultridley: Ridley - Out of all the big characters, Ridley is the one I love the most and he'd be nice to change things up from my normal playstyles. Most of the big characters don't interest me. (However I haven't practiced enough with :ultrob:ROB or :ultkingdedede:D3 to rule them out yet. They could replace Ridley as my big pick.) Also I want Ridley to intimidate the opponent with his KO power since the opponent will likely be on their last stock.
5v5s :ultwolf::ultcloud::ultmetaknight::ultsheik::ultridley:
:ultsheik:Sheik - Sheik just feels amazing to play because Sheik is so fast and has those combos. Also those needles are so nice to have. I'll definitely have Sheik before Ridley if I do a 5v5 just so Ridley can have an easy KO as soon as he gets in since Sheik can have problems with KOing.
:ultcloud:Cloud - He may have been nerfed, but he still looks cool, and is still a speedy sword user.
:ultlucario:Lucario could replace whoever is last or forth if I want something different, or to have a possible hype turn around at the end. Really, outside of Meta Knight, any of these 6 characters can easily replace each other because it's so hard to choose.

Of course if someone glanced at my signature, they would have easily guessed this outcome because of the "top tier" characters to become my mains. So for a bigger challenge, I'll have my "high tier" characters instead.
3v3s :ultpichu::ultinkling::ultmiifighters:
:ultpichu:Pishu - I don't know why, but I feel overwhelming joy whenever I play Pichu. Should make it easy to want to play Pichu more. I've been currently using Pikachu in Smash 4 and it's been interesting... Sometimes I absolutely dominate the other player, but other times I can't even touch them. This happen against the same people with the same characters too. I used to never like the idea of self-harming characters, but it's been growing on me more lately.
:ultinkling: Inkling - Inkling is a must because of the speed and projectiles. Also I know people that have me play Splatoon a bunch so I gotta use them a bunch. Definitely using that green costume because I gotta have my Skull bandana, it's like the best headgear in the game for me. Also I love the black + green combo.
:ultmiifighters: Mii Fighter (Sword or Gunner) - They have such good looking moves and they were fun to play. However I have to play with them against human opponents to know if I like using them against human opponents. Hopefully the Rathalos or Dragon armor comes back. Also will use Vampire Garb if it lets me use it on non-brawler miis. Assuming all the previous outfits come back. I'll have to play around with the customs because they'll probably be buffed/nerfed a lot from smash 4.
5v5s :ultpichu::ultlink::ultinkling: :ultmiifighters::ultrichter:
:ultlink: Link - I learned Smash off of :linkmelee::4link: Link so of course he's one of the characters I'm going to be good with and love to play. However, :ultyounglink: Young Link might be more suitable for that reason. However, the new BOTW changes might better and/or more fun to use so I'll have to give it a shot. Also Link is a bit of a powerhouse with his melee hits, so he would probably be able to finish off Pichu's opponent pretty easily.
:ultrichter: Richter - Seems like a nice strong hitter to finish stocks at the end. Also I love using ranged characters and the Belmonts have definitely replaced Snake for me. It was a close decision between :ultlittlemac:Little Mac and :ultdarksamus: Dark Samus or Richter for my 5th character.

Gotta say, Pichu and Inkling really stick out like a sore thumb when compared to how serious and/or dark the other characters are.

Next Door Dog

Smash Apprentice
:ultmegaman::ultlucas::ultike:
or
:ultmegaman::ultike::ultlucas::ultrichter::ultsnake:

I think the squad strike mode is gonna be awesome, really hope it's online. I'm a big fan of team fighting games/modes, so it'll be a lot of fun experimenting with different team orders/compositions.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
:ultness:
:ultpokemontrainer:
:ultinkling: (Blue or purple helmet Inkling boy)

I think it’s good a lineup for me. One vet, one returnee, and one newbie.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
For 3 characters I'll say King K Rool, ROB, and Ice Climbers.

For 5? Jigglypuff, Young Link, Dark Samus, Simon Belmont, Wario, Pokemon Trainer, Ryu, Ridley, Dr Mario, Pikachu are all possibilities...

Bayopuff

Smash Apprentice
- Jigglypuff
- Ice Climbers
- Cloud

Five:
The Three above, plus
- Bayonetta
- King Dedede/Bowser (fine with either)

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Revising my team a little bit it'd be:

Three:

:ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultjigglypuff:

Five:

:ultfalcon::ultmetaknight::ultridley::ultike::ultjigglypuff:

Trying to be a little tactical with the placements. CF/MK first because they're more balanced than the rest and could get an early kill in different ways, Ridley after that as he can rack up a lot of damage quickly, Ike after to finish up what Ridley might have left behind, and Jigglypuff at the end for those clutch Rest kills.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
As of right now

:ultkirby::ultrosalina::ultrob::ultgreninja::ultgnw:

But if Skull Kid truly does get in, I might have to push poor G&W out. Although he can still take part in 6 player matches...... OR!!!

Kirby, R.O.B. Greninja vs G&W, Rosalina and Skull Kid!!!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Original 4 main stays: :ultdiddy::ultdk::ultike::ultmewtwo:

With the new addition of King K.Rool, I have my 5 mains pretty much set.

If Impa and Dixie also get in, I'd probably drop either Ike or Mewtwo.. depends on who am better with. But realistically I would just play all 6/7 anyway :smirk:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I don't really have any mains/secondaries other than Robin, but I'll still play the cards I'm dealt with.

:ultrobin, :ultwario:, :ultolimar:

Wario because I like his moveset and his special moves in particular.

Olimar because why not? I don't think I see that much Olimar mains in general, and he's actually kinda fun to play.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Bowser, Ridley, and King K. Rool. Team Reptilian Villains.

for a team of 5, Add Bowser Jr. and Pokemon Trainer.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm still holding out on playing the game to see who the 4th and 5th characters are that I want to play most.
I look forward to testing lots out because I want to find more styles that're fun.
Depending on the new fighters though, they might just fill those slots, like if I get Terra :):)

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
We got updated icons now! Good!

I think I'll be going for
:ultkrool::ultinkling::ultkingdedede::ultpokemontrainer::ultzelda:

Thank goodness Smush is adding REPTILES and INVERTEBRATES, my two FAVORITE THINGS!!!

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
So far my top 5 are as follows...

:ulttoonlink: Will probably always and forever be my go-to main. Love the way he feels and plays. Can't wait to try him out in the game's new engine.
:ultzelda: One of my best characters, and my secondary go-to. Looking forward to lightning kicking my way through the competition once again.
:ultinkling: Were one of my most wanted characters. They're very fun to play, and I'm so excited to be able to get really good with them soon.
:ultlucas: Was a surprise character that I never anticipated enjoying so much. I'm sure he'll continue to be one of my most used fighters.
:ultpichu: This little guy is adorable, and one of my favorite characters in Melee when I was a kid. I plan to practice with him a lot this time.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
For the sake of argument, let's say I picked up Ultimate with everything unlocked, haven't practiced, and am more interested in winning than trying new characters. I know for a fact this will change when I have a better idea of how everyone's going to play, so I'll play it safe for now.

3v3
:ultyounglink:
:ultmario:
:ultwolf:

5v5
:ultmetaknight:
:ultdarksamus:

D

Deleted member

Coincidentally, these are also just the right numbers you need to assemble teams for Squad Strike. How nice.

:ultwiifittrainer::ultvillager::ultinkling:(:ultkingdedede::ultkrool:)

And replacing one with :ultbayonetta:, only if it's fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I’ll probably go
:ultwolf:
Simon/Richter
:ultsnake:
And for 5v5
Chrom
:ultrob: