• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An "only three/five mains" thread

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Oh man, this is actually a tough one.....I know my top 2, but the 3rd is currently up in the air. Speculation is as followed:

1) :ultfalco:
2) :ultbowserjr:
3) Could be any 1 of the following, :ultpokemontrainer:(?) :ultmetaknight:(?) :ultgreninja:(?) :ultwolf:(?) :ultzss:(?) :ultsnake:(?) :ultpichu:(?) :ultmiifighters:SF specifically(?) or :ultdarkpit:(?)

Leaning more towards :ultgreninja: and :ultpokemontrainer: though and choosing between those 2.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Disregarding my Smash 4 mains, and who I hope will end up being good:

:ultridley::ultwolf::ultmewtwo:

Last edited:

T!t!

Smash Cadet
These would be my 3 choices for now:
1.:ultwolf: Really like him being back. Besides that they also have shown already a couple tweaks to his moveset that I really like: i.e. the new dash attack and the new nair. Not even mentioning how much I love his Star Fox Zero based design over his assault design in Brawl.
2. :ultinkling: I do like the kind of hybrid moveset: Inkling seems to have decent tools in close-up combat but could potentially even be played a bit more from distance with projectiles and gimmicks. So I feel like it's a character that just fits right between the style of a close-up combat Wolf and a from the distance playing Olimar. Can't wait to get my hands on Inkling and actually grind a lot.
3. :ultolimar: My Sm4sh main just needs to be kept alive in Smash Ultimate. I'm curious to see how certain tweaks may affect his gameplay, so for now I'm definitely planning on getting my Olimar ready for Smash Ultimate.

These three characters are the only ones I'm really interested in unless Dillon makes it into the game. Then my opinion may change.

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
This is hard for me but I’m going to say:
1. :ultpokemontrainer:
2. :ultganondorf:
3. :ultlittlemac:
Back in Smash 4 I had a main crisis and it’s feeling like I’ll still have that crisis this time around too.

TooterDoo

Smash Rookie
If I had to pick 3, I would probably go with:
1. :ultlucas:
2. :ultinkling:
3. :ultzelda:

Lucas has always been my favorite, so he was an easy pick. Inkling looks like a ton of fun as well. For Zelda, I've always liked playing her even though she sucked, but now that she seems to have been buffed a bit, I'm definitely eager to play her.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
1) :ultpokemontrainer:
2) :ultmewtwo:
3) :ultridley:

As a Smash 4 Charizard and Mewtwo loyalist who mained the two even when they were both considered bad, there is no way I'm droppoing either of them when Ultimate comes around. Slot #3 will probably be up for grabs, but it's most likely going to Ridley because dragons.

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
If i had to pick only three...

1. Zelda
Zelda has always been one of my favourite smash characters. I think it's because I found her so elegant and strong at the same time. But it took me a while to realize that's why. Her design has always been very cool to me and I like her moveset a lot, even if it ends up usually that she's bottom tier. Nothing looks to be changing in Smash ultimate, infact she gained even more sass than she had before so i'm 100% here for another game of being a zelda main.

BAN ZELDA :secretkpop:

2. Lucina
She is my favourite fire emblem character of all time. So I was bound to give her a shot. I always liked Marth's fighting style in past smash games, but never really felt a connection with marth as a character. That changed when Smash 4 came out and the fighting style really clicked! I appreciate the balanced blade even if that makes her easy mode marth or whatever. I'm not top tier competitive player, I play who I like because I like them as characters mostly! But even if she was a marth alternate costume i would have still played her!

3. Rosalina
Best mario character. Very elegant with a pretty design. Rosalina was always my favourite mario character since galaxy came out so I was really hoping she'd get into smash. i did not expect a puppet style fighter from her but that works in her favour! Luma's are super cute and she is so fun to play! IF you asked me at the start of smash 4's life Rosalina would probably be my number one pick, but as time went on she kind of fell by the wayside a little bit. That being said, I still very much enjoy her fighting style and her as a character. :)

Sorry robin, you just didn't make the cut :(

EDIT: I have now put in reasons why.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Primarily- :ultinkling:
:ultinkling: has a lot of good things going for her, good speed, great damage output that can be ramped up and doubled, Diddy Kong's air game, movement options for days, two double jumps and is from one of my most beloved games ever. I can't wait to put in the time to master this character!

Secondary- :ulticeclimbers:
I spent years mourning them being gone in 4 I'm not missing my chance to play them now that I'm not a 12 year old in middle school. Even with their lost chain grabs the ICs have so much good going for them and are just adorable. Even if they're not great I'm still going to put in the time to learn them.

Third- :ultvillager:
My son, my child, my Smash 4 main since Day 1. Everything about Villager is so fun, no one seems to play this character so most people don't know the matchup allowing me to get some absolute NONSENSE on people in my locals. However, Villager has a rough life, characters like :ultmewtwo:, :ultcloud:, :ultcorrin: and :ultmarth: just knock him all over the place. Even if Villy is a little faster this time, the cracks in his character still show, and honestly I'm so, so, so sick of having a horrendous MU against :ultcloud:, aka one of the most common and powerful characters around. I'm sorry my son but unless you stop losing so hard to disjointed swords and reflectors I'm going to have to start playing :ultpit: , :ultwario: or :ultpokemontrainer:.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Besides :ultmario::ultdoc: since eveyone mains Mario/Dr.Mario (though he gets the title of “Favorite Video Game character forever” in my book of life and lies)
:ultpit:- Was amazing to play as in Smash 4, and Uprising made him one of my favorite characters in gaming
:ultsonic:- He’s fun to play as, with/without having to spam anything (other than the “You’re Too Slow” taunt...cause that must always be spammed regardless of what Sanic is saying)
:ultrosalina:- The perfect woman of royalty

:ulttoonlink::ultdarkpit::ultduckhunt:are behind them and Imma need to add :ultinkling:+:ultlink: to my crew

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
1) :ultlucario: Forever and always will be my main. 100% guarantee

2) :ulticeclimbers: Really excited to try them out this time around, they still seem pretty solid even with all the nerfs they got.

3) :ultlucas: I used Lucas in Smash 4 a lot but I wanna get into him much more in Ultimate. He's always been one of my favorite fighters since Brawl and I think he has a good shot in this game.

As for other characters I'd like to explore, I'll definitely be using Kirby a lot to see if the improvements made from Smash 4 are enough for me to main him again (because goddamn Smash 4 Kirby was a disappointment), and Inklings are also gonna be an interesting character to test out. Also Bowser and Greninja are former Smash 4 secondaries that I'd love to use again <3

Last edited:

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
This is a tough one but I think it will look something like this. Not in order tho.

:ultlink:Always loved the character but his projectile based gameplay not so much. Now that he seems to be more sword based and BOTW is the most fun I had in a game since a long time he definetly is one of my favorites.
:ultpokemontrainer:Pokemon was the first game I ever played. So many memories connected to it. Love the idea of his design in Smash. I just didn't Play him much in Brawl because it was poorly implemented. But this time his flaws seem to have been taken care of and I'm happy I can rock one of my Smash 4 mains:4charizard: and his homies together.
:ultwolf:Was the character I was the saddest about for not being in Smash 4. I never played Star Fox but god damn was he satisfiying to play as in Brawl. Can't wait to finally lay my hands on him again.

Honorable mentions::ultcorrin::ultmarth::ultzss::ultpikachu::ultganondorf::ultsnake::ultinkling:

Iridium

Smash Hero
:ultlink:, :ultgreninja: & :ultlucario: for me (that was hard to choose).
SSBU demo characters: :ultlink:, :ultpit: & :ultmewtwo:.

I can guarantee you I will NEVER main :ultdaisy:, :ultpeach:, :ulticeclimbers:, :ultwiifittrainer:, :ultwario: and definitely not :ultinkling:. These are not the only one, but this says something.

Waiting for backlash.

Last edited:

Noventiaa

Smash Cadet
:ultwolf: :ultpokemontrainer: :ultridley:

Yes, they're all new/returning, but they genuinely look the most interesting to me. Also, it really pains me that i can't put ness in there. He's a very close fourth, with doc as fifth.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
1. :ultmegaman: obviously. My favorite and most fun character personally.

2. :ultganondorf: or :ultmario: ... one of these two will definitely fight for this spot. They were both two of my most-played in Sm4sh, and they're looking great in Ultimate too...

3. Probably :ultryu:? Yeah, I feel safe saying that.

Iridium

Smash Hero
1. :ultmegaman: obviously. My favorite and most fun character personally.

2. :ultganondorf: or :ultmario: ... one of these two will definitely fight for this spot. They were both two of my most-played in Sm4sh, and they're looking great in Ultimate too...

3. Probably :ultryu:? Yeah, I feel safe saying that.
If Simon Belmont got in Smash, would you main him to complete the Capcom trio? Just wondering here.

Last edited:

Anubace

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1091-9942-5575
Switch FC
SW-6515-9983-1691
:ultyounglink: - My main in melee deserves a spot on my ultimate list.
:ultpichu: - Meme. Also I hope his speed game and ftilt trip looks like it can frustrate other players.
:ultmegaman: - Mega Man is dope af, easily my favourite franchise, and he looks a lot better in this game than in Smash 4.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
This is tough, as my signature picture shows all the characters I like to play as. There's four that I like to play as more than the rest, but that's still four, plus there's at least one newcomer I'm really looking forward to. So here's what I got.

:ultrob: - My main since Brawl. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down, never gonna run around and desert you. Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.
:ultsamus: - My #3 in Smash 4 and Brawl (Dedede being second), but I'm very curious to see how she plays this game. Hopefully she'll be a lot better. If there's a Dark Samus echo fighter, though, then regular ol' Samus gets the boot, and Dark Samus becomes my #1.
:ultridley: - He looks incredible and his moves look so awesome that I'm definitely going to main him in some capacity. I also think he has a better chance of being competitively viable than any of the other characters I like most, but we'll see.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, assuming Geno's in, he's easily my number 1, but for the sake of the question, I'll stick to characters that are already confirmed:
  1. :ultmewtwo: My loyalty main. He's always been my favorite Pokemon and one of my favorite characters in general, and ever since seeing him on the "Challenger Approaching!" screen in Melee, he's been my favorite fighter as well and I'll never drop him for that. Besides, he's just damn fun to play in Smash 4, and he looks practically unchanged here, which is great!
  2. :ultgnw: Stylistically my favorite character in the cast, and another old favorite since Melee. I just love how distinct and wacky he is compared to the rest of the cast, and he's also a joy to play as given how nimble and hard-hitting he is. Now here's hoping he's actually good in this game...
  3. :ultgreninja: Can you tell I like fast bois? This is a character I thought was neat upon seeing his reveal trailer, but I never thought to actually give him a try until near the end of Smash 4; as it turns out, his toolkit's super fun to link moves together and just throw sh*t out with, so I hope he doesn't get changed too much for the worse in Ultimate. Tired "Better Nerf Greninja" meme goes here.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
As of now my list is currently...

:ulttoonlink: Likely to be my number one pick again. Wind Waker is my favorite Zelda game, and Toon Link's playstyle in Smash always felt right to me.
:ultzelda: My go to secondary in Smash 4. Zelda looks and plays even better in Smash Ultimate, so she's likely to stay in my top 3.
:ultinkling: One of my most wanted newcomers. I love Splatoon, and the Inklings feel very fun to play in Ultimate. Going to be playing them a lot.

Last edited:

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
I'd say :ultfalco:, :ultness:, and maybe :ultpikachu:. Falco and Ness are for sure my most used, but I like playing a lot of other characters, so the third was hard to pinpoint.

Top Bottom