• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An "only three/five mains" thread

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Robin
Rosalina and Luma
Lucario

I'm good at only one of these characters (the latter two are too floaty) but these 3 are my favorites

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley
Corrin
Yoshi

My "Dragon Triad", if you will. I was originally going to have Charizard instead of Corrin before it was confirmed he was back with the Pokémon Trainer, as I've been dreaming of this setup since the Sm4sh pre-release speculation era. But I'm perfectly fine with this since Corrin is another character that I happen to like in Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Inklings, Pkm Trainer, & Lucina (or pichu or jiggs, depends how they are :))

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
Pokémon Trainer
Diddy Kong
Ridley

sorry for the second post in a row, internet issues!

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Ike
Pokémon Trainer
Pit

Ike and Pokémon Trainer look really good from what I saw from E3 and it sounds like Pit has actual kill power now so I'm hyped to try out my Smash 4 mains in Ultimate.

GalaxyWing

Ascension
NNID
SkaiSong
3DS FC
5086-2324-1353
I'd probably go Pit, Palutena and Peach. In reality though I dont think I could handle only having just three mains haha

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
uff... with this game being so ultimate. picking only 3 will be hard. specially since i really want to mess with Zelda's new phantom, A posible buffed Samus (im certainly maining her to unlock everyone) and a nerfed bayonetta. Also Ike and ganondorf and the new wolf.

But i think i will go with:
Mewtwo
Ridley
Robin

Im a little scared about robin though, since it seems that good dashes will be fundamental in this game, and robin dash wasnt spectacular by design :s.

Last edited:

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341
:ultwolf: and :ultganondorf: for sure. Last one is hard to say since characters I'm interested in :ultmario::ultyounglink::ultmewtwo::ultbowser::ultdoc: are a "play and find out" but for the sake of this thread I'll say :ultzss: cause she was my Smash 4 main and I'm more confident than not that I'll like using her compared to the others.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Pikachu
Meta Knight
Young Link

This one's tough because in Smash 4 I shuffled through a LOT of secondaries. In order of closest to release date to most recent: Sonic, Toon Link, Falco, Rosalina & Luma, Donkey Kong, Meta Knight, Mewtwo, Roy, Cloud. I'd probably put Meta Knight up there just because he's always been a comfortable pick but I'd also wager Young Link being my boi from Melee just behind Pikachu that I'll wanna pick him up again too.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
- Pikachu:ultpikachu:
- Young Link:ultyounglink:
- Dr. Mario:ultdoc:

Covers all my bases. Pikachu and Doc were my mains in 4 pretty much equally while Young Link is my favourite character to play as in Melee.

DemonRin

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonRin
3DS FC
0173-1428-8528
Switch FC
SW-1795-2519-1884
Picking now without having played it?

:ultmario: Mario
:ultroy: Roy
:ultfalcon: Captain Falcon

Seeing how Ganondorf plays in the sped-up Ultimate makes me want to get my hands on him and test. I'm also SUPER interested in Inklings, Daisy and Ridley... moreso the novelty for Ridley. He's so big and looks like he plays so different from most other characters... don't think he'll end up a main, but you never know right?

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Female Pokemon Trainer
Mega Man
Wolf

It's gonna take a pretty darn big reveal like Sora to make me play another character at this point.

Sayabi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-8537-6804
Mewtwo, Ness, and either Leaf or Zero Suit Samus.

BTW, I wish we had Leaf icons.

Kaze Arashi

Smash Journeyman
Queens New York. Occasionally in Smashville
NNID
marshie2014
If I had to choose 3, it would depend on my playstyle Im looking for.
If I wanted to play hit and run (my favorite style), I'd go for:
1.):ultsonic:- Mained since the start of my smash career and played him in the demo. Fits my hit-and-run playstyle and better at catching landings with spindash even though he can't cancel shield anymore thanks to the mechanics of dodging and landing.

2.):ultinkling:-Same style as Sonic but does better against the zoners by being able to spread ink and has different setups. Surprisingly fast and good neutrals. Also has disjoints with moves like inkbrush.

3.):ultpichu:- Not a fan of pikachu and has several advantages that pikachu doesn't. A better crouch for example and has the buff on ftilt tripping. Also has a really good nair and upthrow.

If I wanted to play spacing or the waiting game instead (my 2nd viable playstyle), I'd go for:

1.):ultlucina:- Considering the game rewards offensive plays, Lucina may be better in more MU's than marth is thanks to better shield pressure at close range and the buff on shield breaker to angle in three ways allows better poking. Also one of my Smash 4 mains.

2.):ultgreninja:-A mix of both of my playstyles and has very good mobility. Has solid disjoints and powerful punishes and kill confirms. Also has the jank of substitute and water shuriken to counter several campers

3.) :ultbowser:- Has the power to kill anybody and the buffs he got on moves like down tilt and up throw make him solid for baiting and threatening opponents to allow more ground control, something I really look for in any fighting game.

D

Deleted member

In all honesty I didn't expect this thread to go that far, haha.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Given the size of the roster and matchups as a whole, it may be most practical to have three mains than a single one this time around. Tentatively, I'm looking at :ultbowser::ultfox::ultzelda:, but these characters may be subject to chane, but I want to try to have a set where there's not many overlapping weakneses. Other than those three, :ultwolf::ultinkling::ultridley::ultganondorf::ultsnake::ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta: are all under consideration. I basically want to have a tank, rushdown, and zoner for my set.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
In all honesty I didn't expect this thread to go that far, haha.
I'm surprised it's not larger to be honest. Everyone who plays smash picks favorites after a while. It's nice to just get a place to say it and perhaps say why.

I'm pretty much just lurking this thread now because I'm curious who chose which characters and why..... Or for those who don't say why, try to figure out what happened to make them pick those characters.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I'm surprised it's not larger to be honest. Everyone who plays smash picks favorites after a while. It's nice to just get a place to say it and perhaps say why.

I'm pretty much just lurking this thread now because I'm curious who chose which characters and why..... Or for those who don't say why, try to figure out what happened to make them pick those characters.
I lurk around to see who picks :ultyoshi:...

Yes, I'm that sad of a person

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I lurk around to see who picks :ultyoshi:...

Yes, I'm that sad of a person
I do the same thing with Meta Knight too. In an alternate universe I could see myself using Yoshi and possibly maining him because I do love yoshi (probably would love him more if I played his games cause they look awesome). The problem with Smash is that there's too many characters I love and I don't have time for them all.

Top Bottom